January 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @skippygirlsmom yeah... my main issue is that the windbreaker/jacket thing I have with a zipper is paper-thin. It's perfect for evening runs here, but I'm not convinced it will be warm enough for early morning up a mountain. But the thicker long-sleeved tops and sweatshirt I have, which I know would keep me warm enough, would be a pain in the *kitten* if I needed to take them off as it would involve unstrapping and removing my entire pack (and bib) and then putting it all back on again.
    The really funny thing about all this is that a few months ago I was saying (loudly) how great it was going to be to race without being way too hot and the sun trying to kill me!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @eleanorhawkins gotta watch what you wish for :D I would hate to try to pull off something too.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,702 Member
    1/3 – 7.02 miles
    1/4 – 6.02 miles
    1/5 – 5.08 miles
    1/6 – 4.03 miles
    1/8 – 8.03 miles
    1/9 – 4.75 miles
    1/10 – 3.10 miles (treadmill)
    1/11 – 5.12 miles
    1/13 – 5.03 miles
    1/14 – 5.16 miles
    January Total – 53.34 miles

I met a couple of friends in town at 5 am this morning for 5 miles. It was not as cold as predicted. The outerlayer I had layed out last night was too heavy but luckily I had a lighter shirt in the car that I could use instead.

@martaindale – I love being able to wear “throw-aways” in the corrals at the bigger races! Most of them collect the clothing and donate it a charity. Good luck this weekend @martaindale and @eleanorhawkins!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,052 Member
    @Teresa502 Houston donates the throwaways and I love that they do that! You can leave stuff at the start or any aid station and they get collected throughout the race.

@eleanorhawkins Good luck this weekend. May you choose wisely on clothing options!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @martaindale I am in awe of your attitude to those temperatures. Our forecast for Sunday is around 5C (41F I think?) at the start and I'm making all this fuss lol.

I went and bought the sleeves. Also ended up picking up a very nice pair of capri-length tights that I must now not allow myself to wear to the race because nothing new. Except sleeves, d'oh. But if those are a problem they can come off, the tights can't!
    The races that collect cast off layers for charity are great!

@polskagirl01 a lot of what I'm stressing about is the fact that it's all unknown. Evil coach said it would get cold from km 9 to km 18, which according to the profile is coming down the back of the mountain but I have no way of knowing what the trail will be like and how much of it I will be able to run without risking breaking my neck. Last time I happily proclaimed I would be able to catch up on a downhill stretch that stretch turned out to be known as 'break-a-leg hill'. What I do know is we go up a trail called 'Convicts'. Nobody seems to know where that name comes from, but the very popular local trail marathon apparently goes down it and it's another one of those names that you hear people say in a respectful tone.
    Anyway, cold. I'm going to go with sleeves under windbreaker but rather than begging a ride I'll take my car with warmer stuff so I can panic-grab a jacket if it's colder than I expect it to be when I get to the start.
    Now I'm getting excited about your training plan in creation and want to do it with you even though I don't have any crazy plans after this weekend hahaha. I have a local rural HM at the end of February (boring, only one hill and all but about 15 metres at the bottom are great footing) and that's it. Keep looking at races and forcing myself to wait a while.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @eleanorhawkins haha on the convicts, my shorter race in February is also named after a bandit. Must be a mountain thing, only tough people survive. Since you're also a tough person, you'll survive too :smiley:
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Two more miles on the treadmill in the dark early hours this morning. Nothing exciting to report but I’m less than a mile to goal now. Will definitely get back outside again this weekend.

@eleanorhawkins and @martaindale - good luck! I’ll be thinking of you both this weekend x

1/1: 2.1m
    2/1: 2m
    3/1: 2.5m
    4/1: 2m
    5/1: 1m
    6/1: 2m
    7/1: 2.05m
    8/1: 2.7m
    9/1: 1.8m
    10/1: 2m
    11/1: 1.7m
    12/1: 2.25m
    13/1: 3.11m
    14/1: 2m

Jan total: 29.2m
    Jan target: 30m
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @eleanorhawkins that was great of them. Adam Goucher (Olympic runner) is one of the folks who is in charge of run the year. I ordered a shirt and got it yesterday. Love the color.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    @martaindale
    @eleanorhawkins and @marisap2010 Good luck on your races this weekend!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @martaindale
    @eleanorhawkins and @marisap2010 Good luck on your races this weekend!

Hope it all goes well, ladies x
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    @marisap2010 ,@martaindale and @eleanorhawkins Good luck with your races and clothing. I would just dress warmly and not worry about getting hot...I so much prefer sweating to being cold. LOL

Great run @Teresa502 .

Sounds like a good play @polskagirl01 !

@rheddmobile I hope you hear back from your tests soon and you get good news. Sorry about the doofus. There are lots of those out there. I hope you don't get whatever they had.

@katharmonic You did great with your running while in DC.

@Faebert Glad you were able to get out for a run, even if the conditions weren't ideal.

Nice running @Tramboman !