WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Minicooper - sorry, in this fast moving thread sometimes we miss something critical! I did send a thought your way and a gasp as I read, but my fingers never typed to tell you I was thinking of you! I'm sorry!

How is she doing? and How are you doing, sometimes we have a harder go then the actual injured party, when my Mom fell it really brought it home how frail she is and how the end it closer that I was accepting it was.

Kim in N. California
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hugs to you Minicooper! I'm sorry you felt like we weren't caring about you. Its never anything anyone intentionally does, bypassing a thread, or forgetting to comment. I hope your momma is on the mend! Falls are extremely scary, and I know first hand how they can shake your confidence and hurt to your bones.💖🙏😢. When I fell out on our driveway, I just laid there and bawled. Then I got up, still having to limp to the postbox to mail my letter. Not one of my neighbors came to check on me, and I glared at each house as I passed it, I was so mad! I think even my teeth felt loose! Falls are no fun!
    Hugs!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    we have a dishwasher and used it all the time when I had all the daycare kids (6 kids 12hrs or more a day) but now that I just have the one, we just use it for a drying rack and I wash all the dishes by hand. THis time of year, I enjoy washing them because I can soak my hands in the warm water. I have issues with my hands when it is cold(arthritis and Reynaud's Syndrome). Washing I don't mind as long as dh would remember to rinse his damn dishes. Son is great about it, dh is not.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Minicooper- my next door neighbor bless her heart slipped on a wet floor and broke her neck and was in a neck brace for 8 weeks ,she stayed with her daughter for a couple of weeks and lord the poor woman was black and blue and looked all beat up.. but is made of hardy stock and is all well now.. Hope your mom has a speedy recovery..
    My friend Lil was taken into the hospital this morning.. she had an epidode last night and this morning and she will be 92 in May ,she was a little shaky last night but could be just medications..
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    MIchele--The company that did the roof is giving us a problem about coming out and even looking at the roof. DH called another company to come out and give us an estimate and then we will turn it over to insurance and let them do what they do. But I know it I get damage inside because of this I will be the one calling and taking names. We paid extra for the better shingles and they need to stand behind their work.

KJ--I agree that this mask stuff and everything has messed up our immune systems to the point where we get everything. I remember my mom telling the story of a neighbor when she was growing up that had a baby girl that they kept very clean and could not play with only certain things. She got outside and in the dirt and ended up passing away as she had no immune system. Mom said it was because they kept her away from normal things, otherwise she was a healthly child.

Minicooper--I pray your mom is doing well. How scary for both of you and only having to wear a collar is even scarier.

My friend that just lost her husband, I am in charge of getting desserts lined up for after the service and getting the church set up. I have taken the day off to help. What a mess all the way around.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses to the dishwasher and disposal! We think that we're going to keep them. If they don't want to use it then it can be storage if they need it.

Rebecca I'm glad to hear that you are going to stay put! You live in a great place!

Minnicooper I'm sorry to hear about your mom! Praying for you and her 💞🙏💞

I think that we are now completely over covid! My husband still has an occasional cough. We are both feeling back to normal!! We are supposed to go to San Diego and see the grandchildren but the little one has been exposed to covid at school. We will have to wait and see if he contracts it. Not worried about us getting it but their whole family may get it and definitely not feel like company!

Have a great day everyone!

💞 Mary from Arizona /Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    6gv3eu5h7t32.jpeg
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses to the dishwasher and disposal! We think that we're going to keep them. If they don't want to use it then it can be storage if they need it.

Rebecca I'm glad to hear that you are going to stay put! You live in a great place!

Minnicooper I'm sorry to hear about your mom! Praying for you and her 💞🙏💞

I think that we are now completely over covid! My husband still has an occasional cough. We are both feeling back to normal!! We are supposed to go to San Diego and see the grandchildren but the little one has been exposed to covid at school. We will have to wait and see if he contracts it. Not worried about us getting it but their whole family may get it and definitely not feel like company!

Have a great day everyone!

💞 Mary from Arizona /Minnesota

We do, and we're blessed to has access to commissary, the on base clinic and most importantly on base gym. Plus to be honest after living in this home, I don't think I could be happy in a small apartment, stressing over money month to month. Even though its a dark home, doesn't get much sunlight, its great.👍💖😁
    r1aptvei5a8a.png
    Hugs friend!
    Rebecca
    An OMADer on Whidbey island
    WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Short walk w/family- 21.05min, 2.98ap, 1.01mi= 90c
    Strava app = 125c
    Zwift home bike trainer, Strava stats- 1hr 9min 29sec, 167elev,, 82aw, 17.4amph, 119ahr, 136mhr, 20.13mi= 500c
    Strava app = 328c
    Zwift stats- 1hr 9min 31sec, 170elev, 82aw, 60arpm, 170elev, 17.35amph, 20.1mi= 328c
    Jump rope- 5min, 109ahr, 137mhr= 49c

Total cal 639
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Got up this morning and decided to call BK to see if they’re open. I finally had to call the manager who told me they weren’t opening until it’s brighter out – like 8:00. My first thought was “yea, now I can exercise!”. So I did Gilad’s Quick Fit Body Sculpt DVD. Stay tuned to see what tomorrow brings.

Today they’re supposed to get their deliveries which means the back door will be open, so I’m wearing my longjohns just in case. Really, I told the manager I’d call before I left the house. To be honest, I’m not rushing. Update: The guy was there and made his delivery even before I got there.

Barbie – love that meme!

Rebecca – if your son is leaving his car at your place, I’m sure you know to start the engine (at the very least) once in a while just to get the oil going. You might also want to drive it some, even if it’s around the block. This will help the tires, etc.

Barbara – I really didn’t want to take a chance with that can. It’s not like it’s that expensive.

M – congrats on finishing work

Penny – looking forward to your pics. You always posted such lovely pics. You can keep that snow...lol

Rebecca – sounding off here is certainly a lot cheaper than going to a therapist!

Ceramics is closed...boo hoo. So many things are closed. It's really not that bad, there isn't any black ice. Well, this is the South

vicki – I’m so sorry for your friend

minicooper – so sorry about your mom’s fall. How I wish we could see who “liked” a post!

Michele NC
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    q6xidmr54bdt.jpg

I was a little freaked out when I turned the corner and saw this little guy, coyote! I veered off straight ahead because when they are not with their pack they could be rabid and attack without warning!! I was glad that he decided to just keep on walking and so did I 😃

<3 Mary from Arizona/ Minnesota
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Minicooper-glad your mom’s break wasn’t worse (i.e., no surgery needed). Hope she is receiving good care. I had a spinal compression fracture last year from a fall and they did nothing for it. I can’t decide if raising my kids was more traumatic than my mother aging or not-but the calls are scary.

Rebecca-glad you don’t have to move with your son’s deployment. I am sure you will miss him, but you were a military wife and a military mom-you’ve got this! Great pics of your mom. Every family has their own stories. And you for sure are doing something right staying married as long as you have been!

Heather-glad your writing is on track. Sorry your friends seem to be having difficult times. Lovely picture of you and Ros-the presence of those we love does stay with us.

Dishwasher and garbage disposal-I have friends who are plumbers who have told me garbage disposals are their friends-bring them lots of business. Ever had a dishwasher until I remodeled kitchen in 2016 (after husband died). We have a 1950s ranch, smaller, and he always said the kitchen was too small and we didn’t need one. DIL talked me into for resale (even if I never used it). If you could hear me sometimes in my kitchen, you might hear me say, as I load the dishwasher, “John, you were wrong about this.” :)

Tracey-I do hope your temperatures increase sometime soon. We have been in 20s but your temps make me cold down here!

Barbara AHMOD-you ever notice that the people you wouldn’t mind moving almost never do?

Allie-sad news about your neighbor. I agree-it does seem like everyone is coming down with Covid right now. I’m trying to put off joining that party!

Flea-I agree with you, it is a question of the risk we choose. So sorry to hear about your colleague. I know several people with long term, on going side effects.

Terri-glad visit went well.

Mary-I am glad the coyote kept on walking! Where in Arizona are you?

Busy day today. Going to do a bit of work for half an hour or so tonight. Pay raise time so I am sending out emails to each of the staff regarding their raises. Doing the bargaining unit staff now-their raises are negotiated and set by the contract. Those of us not in union (supervisors/management and a few other positions are granted raises by county commissioners. They are voting on them tomorrow so I will work on next batch of notices. I figure the raises with my business administrator so we can work on them ahead of time and it is just easier to run a merge from excel and send it out then to pass it on to someone else. Then have to determine the granting of personal days . . . always something!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Ginny we are in Sun City! We usually only encounter rabbits and seniors on our walks so he was quite a surprise 😉

💞 Mary from Arizona/ Minnesota
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Penny, so very sorry about your mom. Sending prayers for comfort and peace.

I had thoughts of going through something similar myself this past weekend. My 92-year-old Mom fell and broke her neck! Geez, you hear about things like this, but think it could never happen to "you". It's not as critical as it could have been. Thankfully, it broke in such a way that she doesn't need surgery, just a collar for 6-8 weeks, but GOOD LORD, went through an absolute panic when that call came! She spent the weekend at the UofMN neuro floor and is heading to a trans care facility to learn how to function in her collar until she can go back to her assisted care apartment in a couple weeks... or sooner depending on how well she does.

I tend to give hugs (or one of the other choices) to posts when I read while riding the bus into work in the morning. One of those 4 hugs was mine.

My grandmother went through something like that a few years ago too ... unfortunately, I've been stuck on the other side of the world for 4 years now, and couldn't help her. I'm glad you are there to help your mom.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    There is a part of me that feels like two years of NOT being around germs has made us more susceptible to everything that is floating around out there.

If we had all been masking and staying out of crowds, that might have something to do with it, but we all know that hasn't been happening. Even with my immune status, I haven't stayed out of crowds. I pick and choose what I do, to decrease my risk, but I am around the germs plenty. For instance, I met my class of 21 on Friday, and even though we were all masked, the room holds only 24, so we are crammed in there, and the windows don't open. Over the weekend, 3 of the 21 have been put in quarantine. One with Covid and two with suspected Covid (awaiting test results). We have free tests at work, so I have been testing every Friday, and I added a test on Monday for the last two weeks, especially after the students emailed me over the weekend.

This is just a really strong, transmissible virus. Not a lot we can do about it but be vaxxed, boosted, masked, and hope if (when) we get it, it will be mild. One of my colleagues has been in the hospital since November with it. He won't be coming back to work ever. His lungs have been permanently damaged. :disappointed:

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

One of the things I've liked about COVID is that I have not been sick for 3 years!

I tend to avoid crowds as much as possible. University was one place where I couldn't do that, but moving home and finishing my last two semesters online was a godsend! My work has had us spaced out with separator walls so that we don't come in contact with each other much. Meetings became rare and if we did, we were all positioned well apart from each other.

Cleaning and the use of hand sanitiser increased dramatically.

Tasmania shut its borders to everyone and we didn't have cases of COVID for a long time. Nor did we have much in the way of flus and colds. We opened our borders on December 15 and the number of cases of COVID is soaring because Omicron is a highly transmittable variation, so we're all in masks, and my husband and I have been distancing ourselves from a lot of things.

It's amazing what cleanliness and distancing can do to reduce the transmission of a range of illnesses. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Day off today ... transition day between jobs.

Still LOTS to do.

Not sure where to start.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Evenimg ladies
    Checking in before bed