WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Day off today ... transition day between jobs.

Still LOTS to do.

Not sure where to start.

M in Oz

Super excited for you!!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Machka I hope you have a good transition to your new position! You're going to be an asset anywhere you go!

<3 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    💕 read and caught up again. I’m finding my days busy and my evenings spent messaging with my friend whose marriage is imploding. It’s so sad. They have been married 35 years.

Marriage is hard work and for the most part I always hope people can work it out. In this case I just hope that it ends quickly. They have both suffered enough and I don’t see how either of them will recover as long as they are together.

One of our staff has been diagnosed with Covid. He had it last Fall too. He is immunized. It’s a very mild case. I don’t know if this will ever go away.
    I remember when the pandemic first started there were rumblings about how there had never been a vaccine that worked on a coronavirus. I don’t know if that was true or not, but I do wonder.

Hope everyone has a good day. Hugs for those that need them.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka - I hope you enjoy your new position. I look forward to hearing about it. 😊
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    One of our staff has been diagnosed with Covid. He had it last Fall too. He is immunized. It’s a very mild case. I don’t know if this will ever go away.
    I remember when the pandemic first started there were rumblings about how there had never been a vaccine that worked on a coronavirus. I don’t know if that was true or not, but I do wonder.

Hope everyone has a good day. Hugs for those that need them.
    Tracey in Edmonton

The common cold is a coronavirus. While scientists have been able to develop vaccines for flus, they had not been able to develop one for the common cold.

COVID forced the scientists to work hard at trying to, essentially, find a cure for the common cold, so to speak. COVID is, of course, much more serious than the common cold and is a different strain of coronavirus than the common cold.

They did manage to find vaccines to reduce the effects of COVID. But I don't think any of the vaccines claim to cure or prevent it all together.

I don't know if COVID will ever go away. It may be part of our lives for years to come. I've thought that from the beginning.

Nevertheless, I am hopeful that in working hard to develop vaccines for COVID, the scientists will also find vaccines for things like the common cold and perhaps other illnesses.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Today is the day of my friend L's partner's funeral. It is live-streaming at 4 pm. I'm not travelling to Wales on the train for the funeral because of covid. I'm sorry about that as I would love to support my friend. I am resolved to be a support to her afterwards by checking in and phone calls. A lot of you have said that the hardest time is when everyone thinks you should be over it.
    I am also, if I am honest, relieved not to be going, as I have every reason to think there will be a lot of drinking, and that would not be good for me. In the old days my friend and I used to get very drunk together. If I did not drink I would feel distant and superior. :*:| Fortunately, I have a good excuse.

Must nip up to the pharmacy after lunch and also pick up milk etc.
    I feel strangely nervous about the funeral. Dreamt about dead people last night. Nothing scary, I didn't know them, but they were just dead and I didn't know it. Like a film told in retrospect.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    3rlcc5dmt6xw.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka I’m reading “The Brain’s Way of Healing” on your recommendation. Fascinating but can’t say I’m enjoying it all that much ;) What I really want to curl up with are my Susan Conant dog myateries and Charlotte MacLeod cozies :laugh: Like you, one of the good things to come from how I try to keep safe from Covid is that neither have I been sick for years, not since my DVT when we moved here in 2017. Good luck in your two new job adventures!

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    jv2b6kh9i0dm.gif

Our enjoyment of something may vary depending on circumstances. :) I read with hope that my husband and my situation could, at least, stabilise rather than deteriorate.

One of the fascinating things for me is that I haven't heard of a lot of things mentioned in the book ... and I'm wondering why.

M in Oz

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,229 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Weekly shopping done and dusted. I really appreciate the early bird hours for seniors in our stores. It helps limit our exposure to other people.

I have to say that I haven’t had any colds/flu to speak of for over 2 years. I seems that better hygiene and wearing masks does seem to protect against colds/virus in general.

Machka: All the best in your new job. They’re lucky to have you.
    Heather: Sensible choice, under the circumstances. I haven’t travelled on public transport since this started.

Hope y’all have some joy in your day.

☘️ Terri

https://youtu.be/UFITLxanHoU

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    I did my dumbbells last night. Yay!
    This morning I dreamt that I had my old job back. Stirred up a lot of mixed feelings so I got up for breakfast. Hope eating early doesn't lead to extra morning calories.

Today I am going to attack those fleas that never went away despite washing everything and using the drops on his back. This time I got a flea and tick shampoo. Hope it works and he isn't sensitive to it.

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Job - I start tomorrow. So I've spent some of this evening getting a backpack ready. I'll be "hot desking" for a while with the possibility of working from home a day or two. More details to come once I get there and get going.

Thank you all!

Today - I spent several hours in the garden again! I'm not sure when I went out, maybe about 2:30 pm ... and came in about 6 pm. One of the most scary weed-filled sections is no longer scary and weed filled. I came across fewer insects and arachnids than I thought I would. Just one scorpion, a few spiders, a cockroach and a few other things.

However, the area is thick with grass roots (tall, weedy grasses). I actually thought there was a weed mat down for a while, then realised it was just grass roots. I've been pulling out buckets of the stuff and in one area, the grass roots were wrapped around the extending roots of a plant we want to grow. We are thinking of laying weed mat and then putting plants in pots there, rather than trying to use that soil.

co3il7812t1k.png

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Well I read up on the flea and tick shampoo that I bought and it's got a bad reputation. It looks to be the same ingredients as the shoulder drops and the dogs overdose and sometimes die. So I found a pill Capstar that it says is safe in combination with the shoulder drops. And I bought some regular shampoo. So lucky I did my research! My Teddy is precious!

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, When my best friend's husband died, I was 300 miles away from her and decided to not go for her husband's services. Being there alone and without a car, I would have been one more thing for her to worry about. Instead, she and I agreed that I would phone her in the evening near bedtime so she could talk over what had happened during the day. I did that every evening for about a month and then weekly for a long time as she created a new plan for her life. I applaud your decision to stay home especially in light of concerns about public transport and drinking at the event.

:)Annie, I have dreams sometimes that I have my old job back and that I'm not prepared and am dressed in a nightgown.

:)Machka, You'll be great at your new job especially after you get past the initial learning curve. They are lucky to have you.

:)Barbara, your dogs seem so huggable. We, too, are stay away from people as the best approach to staying healthy.

:) We went to Walgreens at 8 AM yesterday. We were at the door when the manager unlocked the store. We quickly got the items on our list and got out of the store. Some of the items might have been cheaper at Walmart or Costco but since staying safe is our highest priority we have opted to shop at as few store as possible rather than searching for bargains.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Well I read up on the flea and tick shampoo that I bought and it's got a bad reputation. It looks to be the same ingredients as the shoulder drops and the dogs overdose and sometimes die. So I found a pill Capstar that it says is safe in combination with the shoulder drops. And I bought some regular shampoo. So lucky I did my research! My Teddy is precious!

Annie in Delaware

Hi, Annie. We give our dogs a pill once a month. Leif, our previous dog, was severely allergic to the fleas, so it was a necessity to keep him comfortable. Once he was gone, we continued the pills for Harley. I'm not sure she's ever had a flea. We don't have them here, but they are a real problem up at my mom's in the forest, so Leif would pick them up there. The pills are a bit pricey and have to be purchased directly from the vet, but they work!

Good luck. They are pesky things and super annoying.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR