Less Alcohol ~ FEBRUARY 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    Hi all, just catching up with February, in addition to opening up a 4 week pile of mail and going through 450 emails. Covid in January knocked me for such a loop that I am STILL digging out! But at least I feel better!

Despite best intentions to be AF this morning, I came home from a long day at work and immediately poured myself a glass of wine. I’m only having one, but I am way off my goal of AF during the week and only one on the weekend. It’s a choice, yes. Discipline went out the window tonight.

That's why discipline isn't a great tool for habit modification.

There are a TON of resources out there to help you modify habits more effectively.

The key is to understand exactly what triggered the behaviour you didn't want, and how to address those triggers when they happen, because you can't depend on pure discipline and will power to carry you through every craving. It's just not consistent enough.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,602 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @Womona

Not exactly glad that you got Covid, but your immunity against Omicron will be heightened now.
    Did your whole family catch it?
    Good luck catching up on all of that work that you have to catch up on.
    That must have been your first glass of wine in a long time.

You will be sailing before you know it : - )

Or....we will all be meeting on a sunny beach somewhere.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am in, with my usual goal: 16-20AF days per month. I had 18 last month.

Diary Style is how I roll.

Sunday Feb 06 - AF
    Monday Feb 07 - AF

Rolling total: 5AF days out of 7 days
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Feb 1-2 - AF
    Feb 3-5 - stuck with 2 drink limit
    Feb 6-9 - AF
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,557 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting that giving up alcohol is easy...until it isn't.
    6 days AF

Quote:
    "We never said it would be easy~
    We said it would be WORTH it" ❣

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,557 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @lmlmrn that is exciting news. Another Grandbaby! Can't wait to see pics.
    Guess we are starting a nursery on here 🤣
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    @forestdweller1 Hello! I’m Melissa! I’m one of the newbies!

So sorry about your heart attack AND Covid. Sounds like you are doing much better though! I’ll bet money it was the waiting room at the lab where you caught it. We’ve been so careful, but my husband hurt his foot last September, went to the clinic for and X-ray, and then got a call he’d been exposed by 3 positive staff. Fortunately, he didn’t get it, but this was during delta when the cases were so severe. It just seemed so ironic.

@luciebrucie Well said,
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @forestdweller1 and glad that you've made it through such a challenging time and then some. You make me aware that every day is a gift and new opportunity to do good for ourselves. Life and good health can be taken away at any moment so it is a very precious and very important thing.

I do have a question for the group here since I am still falling into the same repeated trap and I want to solve this, so here is the scenario:

I do "good" several days in a row, all of it: the diet, the exercise, the right sleep, the no drinking, I power through 12 hour days of intense work...I even logged 6 miles of hill run on Monday. After a multi-day stretch, my mind tells me I deserve a reward and it's OK to drink because I deserved this. And I fully believe I have the right to reward myself. Does this "I deserve a reward" thinking come from my childhood (my parents always rewarded me with food - if I went to ballet then afterwards I got pizza....if I went to the YMCA to swim class...afterwards we got McDonalds or whatever-and each and every time I would over-indulge). ?

As a solution, in the past I went out of my way to reward myself with non-food/non-drink rewards (skincare products, clothes) but this is not working now.

Any ideas of how to solve this problem?
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    @globalhiker

Yes, we are like Pavlov's dogs, conditioned to rewards.

We deserve rewards. Sorry that non-food/drink rewards aren't working for you right now.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am in, with my usual goal: 16-20AF days per month. I had 18 last month.

Diary Style is how I roll.

Sunday Feb 06 - AF
    Monday Feb 07 - AF
    Tuesday Feb 08 - AF

Rolling total: 6AF days out of 8 days
  • 77topcat
    77topcat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @missmay I’d say keep your streak going, you asked for a oo and if you don’t see the second bottle you’d of been none the wiser.

@forestdweller1 - so much to have gone through!! Sending you hugs 💪💪
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Still waiting for baby to arrive, or at least waiting for them to tell me baby has arrived.

@forestdweller1 nice to meet you, wow what a year you have had! I had a struggle with food for about 9 months last year because of side effects to medications. I too lost about 20+lbs but have gained some of it back once the problems where identified.

Today I am smoking a chicken in my 'lil chef' then finish in the oven in an hour or so. In a few weeks it is DH birthday and he always likes a turkey. So I buy an extra one at Thanksgiving and cook it for his birthday in Feb. Well the reason for the experiment with the chicken is to see if it can be done for one. Second I want to see the taste and if we like it repeat with a turkey.

More later