Coronavirus prep

1713714716718719728

Replies

  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,841 Member
    edited February 23
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    At this point, the unvaccinated will not change their minds. They have access to that same knowledge and ignore it.

    What I want to know is when we need a 4th shot. Has anyone heard if it is a booster every 6 months?

    I posted a nyt link (that I thought was a pretty good discussion) above. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/21/health/covid-vaccine-antibodies-t-cells.html

    tl;dr: B- and T-cell training lasts years even though the post-boost antibody flood recedes in a few months. Also, B-/T-cells are able to recognize and to disable a much, much broader range of variants than antibodies. The 3rd shot makes a big difference for T-/B-cell training. So unless you have a particular immune issue that would hinder B-/T-cell training, you *may* not need a 4th for years. Data still coming in.

    I read that article, and unfortunately in my opinion it’s a bad article. All of the discussion of antibodies in the article is theoretical, whereas real world results are indeed starting to trickle in and have found a dramatic reduction in real world effectiveness at preventing hospitalization during the Omicron wave after four months. Real world trumps theory every time.

    In fact if you scroll down to the bottom of the article you posted, the article about effectiveness waning is currently the top rated article on the same news site.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,731 Member
    edited February 23
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Restaurant food prices have increased dramatically. I’m sure that is due to a combination of reasons including increased transportation costs due to increased fuel prices, increased price of good, and increased wages.

    My brother is a chef and he told me that while wages have increased, the menu price increases are almost ALL because of the food cost. Food cost is up because of the increased transportation costs and supply issues. Many restaurants are changing and shrinking their menus to accommodate ingredients they can consistently get at a price that has the least impact on their profit margin.

    The restaurant business is tough. Even successful restaurants in the best of times have very narrow profit margins. I once complained to my brother about the cost of certain restaurant items...like a glass of wine or a baked potato. "Why do they charge $6.00 for a baked potato that cost them 10 cents?" He responded, "Because they lost money on the $40 steak you ordered and they have to make it up somehow."
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,462 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    @PAV8888 Yeh, sad but I see it locally. Many people aren't masking up anymore. In fact, my nephew works at a very large company in Texas, brand new building, grand opening, lots of people coming through to check it out. He said there were 3 people wearing a mask(he was 1 of them) and people were making fun of them. :( WTH??

    I ran into someone at the grocery store Sunday a.m., she started discussing the vaccines. She wears a mask because she's not vaxxed and doesn't plan on getting it. She says she's never gotten Covid yet knows of many who've been vaxxed that have gotten sick from it. I hope she never does get it. :(

    At this point, I feel naked without a mask in public places.

    I happen to work at a brand new decent sized building in Texas also. Large for normal standards, small to mid-sized for a manufacturing plant. Our corporate office has made a mask requirement at all facilities. Where we have issues is when the CEO visits, and when the Regional Director is here (more often), they walk around without masks because they know they can. Corporate EHS says we need masks, but when other managers open break the policy, that makes it tough for us local managers to enforce it. We have a lot of people from corporate, other plants, and vendors here also.

    Having said that, I rarely wear a mask where it is not required. When I shop, I just don't. I am figuring my vaccine should do it's job.

    Our customer facility (also in Texas) had a lot of absenteeism last month due to Covid. They even had to cut entire shifts of production because they had too few workers.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 1,944 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I buy coffee in canisters and usually wait for sales when I can get it for 4.99 or 5.99. This week the sale price is 8.49. :(

    We usually get our coffee in bulk at a restaurant supply store. We just got a case for $70, that works out to about $4/pound.
    We bought a case six months ago and it was $20 cheaper.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,621 Member
    Regarding the CDC‘s new masking guidance, here is an article with a link for looking up your county’s status: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/02/25/1082249002/cdc-says-americans-can-now-go-unmasked-in-many-parts-of-the-country
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,270 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Restaurant food prices have increased dramatically. I’m sure that is due to a combination of reasons including increased transportation costs due to increased fuel prices, increased price of good, and increased wages.

    My brother is a chef and he told me that while wages have increased, the menu price increases are almost ALL because of the food cost. Food cost is up because of the increased transportation costs and supply issues. Many restaurants are changing and shrinking their menus to accommodate ingredients they can consistently get at a price that has the least impact on their profit margin.

    The restaurant business is tough. Even successful restaurants in the best of times have very narrow profit margins. I once complained to my brother about the cost of certain restaurant items...like a glass of wine or a baked potato. "Why do they charge $6.00 for a baked potato that cost them 10 cents?" He responded, "Because they lost money on the $40 steak you ordered and they have to make it up somehow."

    My husband is a restaurant manager and he co-signs this although increased wages play a role too. He does not control salaries though. The regional managers do. Here in California the minimum wage was recently increased and even before that, many entry level restaurant positions were hiring at $18 an hour. They are still having a hard time hiring good employees. Interestingly the long term employees wages have not increased. It does not make sense to hire entry level people for that amount but not raise wages of those who have been there and are experienced. It is frustrating.

    I'm sure the long term people are going somewhere else.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,511 Member
    edited March 3
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Restaurant food prices have increased dramatically. I’m sure that is due to a combination of reasons including increased transportation costs due to increased fuel prices, increased price of good, and increased wages.

    My brother is a chef and he told me that while wages have increased, the menu price increases are almost ALL because of the food cost. Food cost is up because of the increased transportation costs and supply issues. Many restaurants are changing and shrinking their menus to accommodate ingredients they can consistently get at a price that has the least impact on their profit margin.

    The restaurant business is tough. Even successful restaurants in the best of times have very narrow profit margins. I once complained to my brother about the cost of certain restaurant items...like a glass of wine or a baked potato. "Why do they charge $6.00 for a baked potato that cost them 10 cents?" He responded, "Because they lost money on the $40 steak you ordered and they have to make it up somehow."

    My husband is a restaurant manager and he co-signs this although increased wages play a role too. He does not control salaries though. The regional managers do. Here in California the minimum wage was recently increased and even before that, many entry level restaurant positions were hiring at $18 an hour. They are still having a hard time hiring good employees. Interestingly the long term employees wages have not increased. It does not make sense to hire entry level people for that amount but not raise wages of those who have been there and are experienced. It is frustrating.

    I'm sure the long term people are going somewhere else.

    That's what I was told as well. :( Sad though, isn't it? Loyalty and experience count for very little these days.
    Unfortunately, many people are trapped where they are for whatever personal reasons, watching new employees get higher wages.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,270 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Just to level set, I've worn a mask when required so I'm not an anti-masker. Had an interesting conversation with a young man 2 years into his clinical fellowship (this is a 2-3 year program after medical residency) in pulmonary critical care. He started his fellowship right before the pandemic broke out in the US so has lived this on the front lines since the beginning.

    His take on masks, unless you have an N95 you are just wearing a face decoration.

    I disagree with that .

    Obviously some masks are better than others and obviously a lacey holey one would be useless.

    But a cheap paper mask is still better than nothing and for most purposes when you are in public ,not getting that close to other - eg shopping - quite sufficient.

    You sure have the right to disagree, but remember who you are disagreeing with, a doctor who has been working with this 16 hours a day most days of the week since Jan, 2020.