WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2022

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
    U
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,365 Member
    edited March 2022
    To all our March babies, Happy Birthday!

To those who are new to this thread, welcome!

To Rita and everyone who needs it, much respect from me - I hope that all outcomes are good for all of you.

Heather - so sorry that your cruise didn't work out, and quite pleased they're refunding your money.

Up early again (no surprise), the short sleep cycles just get annoying. Not because I have to go anywhere, but because my exhaustion level increases with every hour of sleep I've lost. Not lots, but it adds to the tired.

Re: TV watching, I could take it or leave it until my illness came up. Couldn't get my eyes to focus on print, so the TV was a lifesaver. Evenings usually see me and Corey in the living room, with me watching whatever I'm interested in and him reading. I do try to read when we're watching something he chooses, but I'm wholly incapable of reading in a noisy room. When I'm up to it, I'll start work again on the crocheted piece I've been working on for nearly a year, one of the few things I'm capable of doing while the TV is on.

We had to get Britbox to watch some of our favorite shows - Would I Lie to You, and QI, which is much better with Sandy Toksvig as host (in my opinion).

Still working on getting my office clutter cleaned up, as my daughter will be here tomorrow afternoon, along with all three grands. Lots to do before then!

Off to organize my stuff - three piles labeled keep, throw away and donate.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,329 Member
    Heather-sorry you had to cancel cruise-but with the cost, you need to get what you want.
    Rita-prayers for you and son.
    Katia-hope they are able to come up with a plan for your husband.
    Pip-sounds like you are having a good recovery. I agree with not telling you mom right this minute-especially until after biopsy report, etc.
    Allie-hope they are able to get Carmine (and the family) the help needed. DCF may be able to help that along.

Regarding tv-usually it is on for background noise for me. Some shows I sit down and watch for a few minutes. Do a lot of stuff around house and just keep an eye on it occasionally. Will watch a football game (mostly). Frequently fall asleep with tv on in bedroom (this is a new habit since DH passed away). I turn it off some time during the night. Probably could set the timer to turn it off.

Have meeting in Columbus tomorrow. Driving over early this afternoon, hitting a couple of stores and staying overnight. I have driving over early in the am and they are calling for rain tomorrow, so I will have a mini vacation day.

Off to do some stretches before stopping in at office.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    edited March 2022
    Funnily enough the cruise shenanigans have made DH more receptive to ideas at the moment. Seize the Day! I was able to suggest that we ask my son to come over and help setting up the Firestick for the TV. It stalled because DH didn't understand what he had to do. The stick is in his name, so it needs to be done on his laptop with his passwords. DH did not seem too offended. :D
    I also mentioned, (while the moment was right), that I might take myself off on a trip by myself, or with a friend, when he is heavily involved with cricket in September. I'm thinking of Germany, probably Dresden. He looked a bit thoughtful, then said he could stay a couple of nights with his friend G at the hotel at the cricket ground. G always stays there with his wife for the matches. I think I will get him to book his nights first, refundable, and do mine a little nearer the time when the covid thing is clearer. The hotel gets very booked up. I want to fly from Gatwick, so might have to catch a train in Germany. Anyway, it's good to have him in the right frame of mind. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Hello all! Happy Thursday! Reading quickly so I have time to send comments:
    Heather- Sorry to hear of the cruise cancellation; under the circumstances I would have done the same. Getting a full refund is great! If you are missing the fun of the cruise, maybe you and Johnny could dress up for dinner and have a nice dance in the living room, each night.
    Allie- So sorry to hear about Carmine. I hope they get the help they need. Remember that CS is not there to take them away. They will listen to both sides of the story, and will aid in getting Carmine the help they need. Splitting up families is a last resort.
    Rita- Sending you hugs and also prayers for your son. Please feel free to vent as you need to. We are here for you! (( <3 ))
    Katla - Hope your DH is able to get in to see a doctor and get his health taken care of.
    Lisa- I loved your poem. You really do write so wonderfully!
    For those of you caring for aging parents/dealing with prickly spouses- Sending you all of the love! It is a hard/exhausting spot to be in.
    TV- Most evenings, I will settle at my laptop and watch something on Netflix for an hour or so. Right now, I am watching Shtisel. My DH can't handle the captioning with foreign language shows, so he doesn't watch. DH watches news shows. :( My DYS has a large tv in the game room in the basement. He uses it mainly for gaming; but once or twice a week, DH and I will watch something together. We use streaming services; no cable/regular tv. Very rarely is DH able to stay awake for an entire movie, so I try to find shows that he might like. We have been enjoying the Our Planet series together. He was not raised a "nature" kid, so everything is new information for him.

Well, kids arriving. Thursday=full house. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    Accountability:
    Chose well: : Joe, readings, BP, dogs to powerline, meeting prep, Board meeting, minutes, steps >7400, CI<CO, CI<250<CO,
    Bonus: 2 loads laundry, veg prep, 53 mins grooming Tumble. Just one thing: bupkes
    Workin’ on it: 144.0, H20x3, active 4:07

Mindful March
    10: Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face. Will do this morning on stroll/chat with T.
    11: Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. Really relish the traveling treat.

Woke after 5 hrs, tossed and turned an hour and now here I am. Really need ‘nother couple hours of sleep before morning routine, stroll and lunch with T, then chiro.

Oh Heather, what a poignant mix of disappointment and relief.
    Rita ((hugs)) and prayers.
    Katla fingers X’d DH can see the doctor in any way at all today, and that the Dr has some relief for your DH. What you said to pip, amen, sister, amen!
    Tina ((hugs))
    Allie heartbreaking to see what Carmine is putting theirself and parents through. Praying some mental health care is immediately available, and that DCF investigators are compassionate and reasonable.
    Kim, what you said to Heather. Like you I am slow to “convert.” IF/when I return to indoor activites where people are breathing vigorously (dancing, singing etc) I will continue to mask. For now my friends are impatient for me to return to dancing. :{ Joe and I are both over age ;}, over weight and former smokers, so I feel we have three strikes against us. Do NOT want to be the one bringing it home. So I’ll take the teasing/nagging as best as I can.
    Rori looking forward to hobby room pics.
    Tracey I’m jealous of your cousin and her husband’s cribbage bonding. Joe absolutely refuses to play any games. Probably just as well as games bring out an intensely competitive monster in me. Good advice to Allie about mental health crisis help, hope Carmine’s family can find some.
    Evelyn very interested in your resin projects. Details?

Whoops, Joe just invited me to watch some TV with him, more about that later.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,300 Member
    :)<3:)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :)Barbara We, too, continue to mask and stay away from people. I've gotten over what other people think of me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Barbara We, too, continue to mask and stay away from people. I've gotten over what other people think of me.

I also wear my masks much if the time even though compulsory restrictions are easing.

So do about half the people here. There is no teasing. Masks are a part of current fashion ... just about anything goes. :)

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    Vvvv
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited March 2022
    I still wear my mask in shops, hairdressers, buses etc. Even though we don't have to. Some do, some don't. No one cares, one way or the other. I still am not going inside with people in a closed room, (dancing, singing, meetings) apart from my son's family as they have all recently had covid. We are venturing out to Fatto next Monday and sitting with the family.
    I would say it's about 50 - 50 masks here now. More on the buses.

Had a chat with my friend G this afternoon before the hastily ordered Waitrose delivery. We are all Zooming tomorrow. It was meant to be the last one before I went away. :|
    G and I are going to meet for lunch at Terre a Terre next week. I always book the window table which is near the entrance and very separate.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,054 Member
    edited March 2022
    Heather: Commiserations on cruise cancellation. At least you got a refund, and still have Iceland to look forward to.

Katla: I hope DH can get some answers.

Time for Pointless
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,782 Member
    Allie--Sorry for the problems with Carmine. Getting CPS into it could make things interesting and they might find out life wasn't that bad at home. Prayers for all of you.

Our connecting time in the evening, we eat supper together at the table, then after clean up which we share, we set in side by side recleiners. TV is on and I may watch if it is something I am interested in or I read, play games on my phone or do a craft. But we spend the evening together in the same room. I can usually space the TV off or just watch parts.

Katiebug--Hugs and glad your sister is here to help.

Well we only got maybe 1-2 inches of snow and it is to be in the 60's Saturday so will not last long.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited March 2022
    Terri - the 2023 brochure is arriving in a couple of weeks, so we shall be perusing that and using the refunded money in the account to book something. I will put the rest into a savings account until we have to pay the balance. I love having something to look forward to.
    I'm already researching how to get to Dresden in September. I've done a lot of reading on the city over the years, especially the bombing, and it's been on my bucket list for a long time. I'm a very determined tourist, so it's probably best if I do it alone. G went last year, so she probably won't join me.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,044 Member
    Rita triple hug. It is like dealing with a three year old in a tantrum yet a grown man. Give yourself and him space. Let him know you are there for him but will not tolerate disrepectful behavior. You will need boundaries to protect yourself. Be active in talking to his caregivers they might not be able to tell you anything because of the laws if he does not give permission but you can tell them what you observe and that can help them to hopefully make good decisions in his care. He is a frustrated and anger man because his mind is getting in the way of where he would like to be. If any of this rings true I hope it helps if not keep searching for what works for him and you. I hope you find ways to fill you health bucket while going through this with your son. We are here for you. You are not alone :heart:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,044 Member
    [

Tina in CA[/quote]

Being a caregiver is like living two people's lives all at once.

And thanks. :)

M in Oz[/quote]

So TRUE!
  • pipcd34