What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Another day, another 45 min. elliptical workout. :smiley: I went a little faster today than yesterday so the HR stayed around the Zone 2 & 3 border.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Only am strength session yesterday, due to some work travel. Trainer set up rounds of single arm/single leg work with heavier weights than usual. Ended with 3 rounds of ten goblet squats right into 15 squat jumps.

Modest pool workout today. 1500 yds during lunch. 600 yds of Swim/kick/pull drills as a warmup, then some 50s and 100s. No other swimmers at noon, so lanes are wide open, but not really enough time for much more yardage.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    Another schedule stupidity, earlier than usual appointment with my Osteopath for manipulation, so I ended up doing a fasted machine row, kind of my least favorite . . . but I prefer not to work out after the doc finagles things back into place. (Better to let them settle in a bit, I think. Also, what he does feels ridiculously gentle at the time, but weirdly leaves me feeling later like I had a localized workout.)

So I took the machine row slow, and I seemed extra stiff in the hips this morning for some reason. It was the usual 3 x (2k on, 2' off), but took longer, 37' (at 2:35.5 pace/21 spm average on the 2k pieces), total of 6,791m. It didn't go above mid Z3, HR peak about 75% max, 65% reserve.

This was another opportunity to compare Garmin's calorie estimate (205) to Concept 2's weight adjusted one (279); and also compare the same distance at a faster pace (2:26.9/20spm) on 4/15 (Garmin 238, C2 293).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Today was a 6K row, same DF as the other day and 10 degrees hotter. Avg. HR was 134. The other day it didn't get under 150, so way different. Did it at a 2:28.4 pace and capped it at 70% max, mostly under 65% max.

Finished with 20 easy minutes on the LateralX -- all super easy there.
  • Djproulx
    Trainer session at gym. 3 different pairings of weighted movements, first an upper body then a lower body movement done for four rounds before moving to the next pairing. Trainer pulled me aside and suggested I do a "bonus" each round, which was 30 sec max effort on the skier or assault bike. Was a good session.

Joining a group trail run tonight. Cold and windy here again today. Getting tired of running in tights, hat and gloves.
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    20 minutes cardio and 60 minutes yard work.

(I can feel my overall fitness level improving.)
  • MikePfirrman
    edited April 2022
    Did an 8K row at lunch. Nice and easy stuff. 2:26ish pace. HR all under 75% max.

Golf this evening. First night of golf. Went for a swing evaluation on Sunday. Pro played college with Phil Mickelson. He said that I'm scared of my driver (he's right), I'm ridiculously strong for my age (my Iron MPH head speed was over 100 at impact/nearly 130 for my driver) and that I show tremendous potential with very few lessons needed. He gave me enough to straighten out my drive in one 90 minute session. We'll see how it goes -- first time I've played since last season. I'm still scared of my driver, LOL. Biggest take aways were my foot placement, hand placement and I need to work on flexibility.

He also said my clubs are "crap" but he liked how I have the potential to beat most golfers with $100 used clubs when most around here spend $500 just on their drivers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    Back to stationary bike, usual 10k+3' CD, about 30' overall, easy (some Z3, mostly Z2, remainder below; 98W average including CD).
  • RaquelFit2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNQhTJ4xg5Q

Did the FULL workout (modifications were needed.)
  • Djproulx
    Did an 8K row at lunch. Nice and easy stuff. 2:26ish pace. HR all under 75% max.

Golf this evening. First night of golf. Went for a swing evaluation on Sunday. Pro played college with Phil Mickelson. He said that I'm scared of my driver (he's right), I'm ridiculously strong for my age (my Iron MPH head speed was over 100 at impact/nearly 130 for my driver) and that I show tremendous potential with very few lessons needed. He gave me enough to straighten out my drive in one 90 minute session. We'll see how it goes -- first time I've played since last season. I'm still scared of my driver, LOL. Biggest take aways were my foot placement, hand placement and I need to work on flexibility.

He also said my clubs are "crap" but he liked how I have the potential to beat most golfers with $100 used clubs when most around here spend $500 just on their drivers.

Does this mean a second sports career is unfolding for you?? That's good stuff.

I don't play, but both of my sons do. The younger one is pretty good. (high 70's)
  • MikePfirrman
    edited April 2022
    Djproulx wrote: »

I don't play, but both of my sons do. The younger one is pretty good. (high 70's)

No, especially based on last night. I just don't want to chase balls!

Had some great shots and a few good drives, but couldn't put anything together -- really expected, though, to be honest without practice for seven months! It's just golf is a hell of a lot more fun when you're not constantly in the cactus. Too be honest, here it's too expensive to play too often. Seasonal rates are $350 a round!

In the heat of the Summer (if you can tolerate it and get out early) it's only around $30 -- that's much more my style! I'm cheap!

I'd just like to be a legit low 80s player. Also, in this league, I've learned 99% of golfers cheat like crazy!!!! Most have no idea how to accurately keep score or throw in "mulligans" every other hole. I've seen players take 10 or 11 strokes to play a hole and, later on, you see their score card and it claims they got a bogey (one over par) and you just have to chuckle.
  • RaquelFit2
    Djproulx wrote: »

No, especially based on last night. I just don't want to chase balls!

Had some great shots and a few good drives, but couldn't put anything together -- really expected, though, to be honest without practice for seven months! It's just golf is a hell of a lot more fun when you're not constantly in the cactus. Too be honest, here it's too expensive to play too often. Seasonal rates are $350 a round!

In the heat of the Summer (if you can tolerate it and get out early) it's only around $30 -- that's much more my style! I'm cheap!

I'd just like to be a legit low 80s player. Also, in this league, I've learned 99% of golfers cheat like crazy!!!! Most have no idea how to accurately keep score or throw in "mulligans" every other hole. I've seen players take 10 or 11 strokes to play a hole and, later on, you see their score card and it claims they got a bogey (one over par) and you just have to chuckle.

LOL! I guess golf isn't really about golf.
  • Djproulx
    @Mike,
    I understand completely. I played for a bunch of years, rather poorly, including as part of my job while entertaining business customers. Bottom line is that as competitive as I am by nature, I couldn't stand to play poorly, so I stopped.

Last night, enjoyed a 5k trail run with a small group. Did a lap swim today at the lunch hour. Will need to start doing a longer swim on the weekend.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Another day, another elliptical. I mixed it up and watched a TV show instead of my typical YouTubers. Apparently I found the show very exciting and lost track of my workout time and intensity, because I looked down and realized I was going faster than usual and my 45 minutes had ended 10 minutes ago. :D
  • RaquelFit2
    edited April 2022
    Quick question:

Costco is selling Fitbit Luxe Tracker for a "decent" price. I'm wondering if at this point if it's worth the investment? I do have a Fingertip Pulse Oximeter that functions just fine. Since, I do all my workout at home and can just check my HR from time to time.

Do you think it's worth the investment at this time?

(I did one hour working in the garden. All muscles are done for the day. B) )
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Rest Day today...

I'm starting Hal Higdon triathlon 1 next Monday (modified). I did it years ago training for a sprint. This time around I'm not actually training for a race, just fitness. I had to modify it a bit because I can't follow his plan as structured due to certain days being more suitable to do X vs Y due to my work schedule and other goings on. I also haven't run in years so I'll be using a C25K app for that. I'm also not putting as much of an emphasis on the run as he does in his true program, but depending on how it goes I might alternate weeks between a heavier run load or bike load...but I prefer cycling.

Saturdays and Sundays I can swap but I wanted to make sure I have one day for just active recreation like MTB or kayaking or hiking or whatever. I will be continuing with my Oly lifting for my strength sessions.

33zren9awt4m.png
  • MikePfirrman
    Rerowed my CTC (cross team challenge) row for my online indoor rowing club again -- same row I failed miserably on last week. Finished it, not a great time -- absolutely died on the last two rounds.

It was a pyramid rate row. Row 3 minutes times 5 with one minute rest. First one 27 SPM (strokes per minute), then 30, then 33, then 30, then 27. I averaged 2:03.7 pace. Not putrid but certainly not great. Good indication of around where I'm at right now with fitness. Short stroked the hell out of the first minute to front load the rates. Was using ErgData, which is an app that you can put on your phone that connects to the Concept2 computer wirelessly. Used that to count my strokes. You could only be +/- one stroke on one of the five sets to count. I hit them all to the exact number using ErgData. Low Drag Factor on the middle 3.

Finished with around 1K of cool down. Also did supersets today.

@RaquelFit2 -- my experience is that everyone that golfs says it's "all for fun" but their ego won't let them put down how really bad they are. It's a very hard skill sport! I'm too data driven and anal not to score it correctly. If you have nothing legit to compare, you never see improvement. The irony, it's a handicap league. So if you cheat, then you just have to end up cheating even more the next time!
  • Djproulx
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Rest Day today...

I'm starting Hal Higdon triathlon 1 next Monday (modified). I did it years ago training for a sprint. This time around I'm not actually training for a race, just fitness. I had to modify it a bit because I can't follow his plan as structured due to certain days being more suitable to do X vs Y due to my work schedule and other goings on. I also haven't run in years so I'll be using a C25K app for that. I'm also not putting as much of an emphasis on the run as he does in his true program, but depending on how it goes I might alternate weeks between a heavier run load or bike load...but I prefer cycling.

Saturdays and Sundays I can swap but I wanted to make sure I have one day for just active recreation like MTB or kayaking or hiking or whatever. I will be continuing with my Oly lifting for my strength sessions.

33zren9awt4m.png

That looks like a fun plan! If I'm reading it correctly, its two bike/strength days and one weekend Bike/MTB day that is for "fun". Is the Higdon plan an 8 week plan? I assume so based on the table.

After 8 weeks of that plan, you may get the itch to measure your increased fitness in a race. If a race is an unstated goal, I'd be curious to know if you have a swim background. If you do, you're set! If not, you might feel the need for a second swim weekly.

In any case, glad to see another person training in the multi-sport discipline.