What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    C25K run walk intervals this afternoon. I'm hoping to do it outside at the soccer fields across the street from my office, but we've been having some gnarly winds the last couple of days and we also have several wild fires burning and air quality is hit or miss...it's ok right now, but all of that smoke can blow in any time. If no outside, I'll have to commute to the gym after work and do it on the treadmill which sounds pretty crappy to me.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2022
    Just a nice and easy 6K on the rower and then 20 more minutes on the LateralX (lateral elliptical). Total of around 55 total minutes. Wanted to keep it all below 70% of max but got to 72% on the rower. Not too bad though, all felt easy. Avg HR was 63% of max, right around where I like to be on easier days.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited May 2022
    dralicephd wrote: »
    A little longer elliptical today: 55min instead of 45. I was watching a show that took me to 50 min., and then I was so close to the next mile, I kept going. 😀 I was excited to hit 3 miles for the first time in a long while. (Yeah, 3 miles in 55min is slow by running standards, but progress is progress!)

Anyhoo... ~60% of my time was at HR zone 3, the rest zone 2 or below.

See, you increased your elliptical time and like me, you just had to get to that next mile mark! Congrats! My mile is 13.5 minutes. You will get that number down some.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    RaquelFit2 wrote: »
    Yesterday, I decided to do two kickboxing workouts and then some dumbbell chest presses plus a nice long stretch.

Today, my back is shot. I have a history of herniated discs so I was expecting this. I need to take my exercise down a bit. Today, I rest.

Wishing you quick recovery: It's sooo tempting to push hard for fast progress, but avoiding injury is so important. Finding the right pace for progression is a challenge. Beaming healing rays your way!
  • AnnPT77
    Djproulx wrote: »
    (snip)

I wish more people pushed their kids to swim at a young age. Not only for safety, but its a fairly low impact workout that can stay with us as we age. I see some real great swimmers who are in their 60s and 70s.

@Djproulx: Yes, endorsed - from a perspective of failure, in my case.

I can't blame my parents, who sent me to swimming lessons, and my aunt tried to do remedial help, but as a child - to my discredit - I wasn't having it. I still dislike swimming, maybe I would've disliked it even if better skilled, I don't know. I had to take adult learn-to-swim classes and then lap swim classes (in my 50s) to get myself to a point where I felt even barely competent at actually swimming freestyle. I wish I'd been less stupid about it as a child, honestly.

(To be clear, as a longtime canoeist/kayaker/rower, I've been adequate to save myself in the non-challenging water where I paddle/row, by swimming on my back. But my general swimming skills were terrible, and I wish it had been otherwise. They're still sub-par, and I try to practice some in off-season, but I've been avoiding the Y totally during the pandemic . . . which may be an excuse, in the case of visiting the pool. 🙄)
  • AnnPT77
    Rowing machining again, usual format. I decided I'd just try to hold someplace close to 2:30 pace, for a pretty easy workout - all but 4" was Z3 and below. When I saw the monitor at the end, I had to laugh. I don't think I could be that consistent if I were trying to be, but accidents happen! 😆 I'll just throw a snap of it up here:

31svf57lklwv.jpg
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Rowing machining again, usual format. I decided I'd just try to hold someplace close to 2:30 pace, for a pretty easy workout - all but 4" was Z3 and below. When I saw the monitor at the end, I had to laugh. I don't think I could be that consistent if I were trying to be, but accidents happen! 😆 I'll just throw a snap of it up here:

31svf57lklwv.jpg

WOW!!!!
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    edited May 2022
    Another day another 10k on Wednesday. This time avg went up to 10:16 per mile. If the body allows it I may go for a 10k a day this week. I tried a completely new route today. It was a nice change since it had a few down incline and flat stretches. Back to the house which was longest part of the run it was tougher since it was against 13-16 mile winds.

I dig how that looks and would love it if I could have all days have one logged this week. This wasn’t planned, and will not force it. If I’m not feeling it at any point I’ll stop and walk home or better yet Uber it home. 🤣. Will not injure myself for the sake of a cool screen cap.

w3o044nfrta7.jpeg
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    Yesterday, I decided to do two kickboxing workouts and then some dumbbell chest presses plus a nice long stretch.

Today, my back is shot. I have a history of herniated discs so I was expecting this. I need to take my exercise down a bit. Today, I rest.

Wishing you quick recovery: It's sooo tempting to push hard for fast progress, but avoiding injury is so important. Finding the right pace for progression is a challenge. Beaming healing rays your way!

Thank you @AnnPT77 ❤️❤️❤️I feel a little bit better today but I'm not going to do any exercise. Just some light stretching.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member

This is so true. And its amazing how often this can happen, even among folks who've been at it for a long time. (I'm a chronic offender.)
  • Djproulx
    (snip)

I wish more people pushed their kids to swim at a young age. Not only for safety, but its a fairly low impact workout that can stay with us as we age. I see some real great swimmers who are in their 60s and 70s.

I can't blame my parents, who sent me to swimming lessons, and my aunt tried to do remedial help, but as a child - to my discredit - I wasn't having it. I still dislike swimming, maybe I would've disliked it even if better skilled, I don't know. I had to take adult learn-to-swim classes and then lap swim classes (in my 50s) to get myself to a point where I felt even barely competent at actually swimming freestyle. I wish I'd been less stupid about it as a child, honestly.

(To be clear, as a longtime canoeist/kayaker/rower, I've been adequate to save myself in the non-challenging water where I paddle/row, by swimming on my back. But my general swimming skills were terrible, and I wish it had been otherwise. They're still sub-par, and I try to practice some in off-season, but I've been avoiding the Y totally during the pandemic . . . which may be an excuse, in the case of visiting the pool. 🙄)

@Ann, understand that story. Many of my friends are terrific athletes who wish they could swim, or swim better. I'm in the latter camp. Swam for fun and took lessons as a kid, but never kept at it. The "refresher" lessons at 52 yrs old were humbling. Its such a technique driven activity, like golf.
  • Djproulx
    short lap swim at lunch yesterday. Carried some fatigue from morning's spin class.
    Back with the trainer this morning. Lots of kettlebell rounds: goblet squats, sumo deadlifts, etc, plus TRX seated pullups, dynamax ball crunches, tricep back fly with balance, etc.

Will continue 2x week with trainer next week, then drop to once/week with her through the summer. I need another time slot freed up to support enough swim/bike/run work to provide a decent training build for race day.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2022
    (snip)

@Ann, understand that story. Many of my friends are terrific athletes who wish they could swim, or swim better. I'm in the latter camp. Swam for fun and took lessons as a kid, but never kept at it. The "refresher" lessons at 52 yrs old were humbling. Its such a technique driven activity, like golf.

Back around 10 years ago, not too long after I originally lost the weight, I wanted to get more into swimming. I never could get the breathing timing down -- but with that said, getting the breathing calm is what helps you understand your form better.

I cheated and used those Finis swim snorkels. Helps you to concentrate on your stroke. And if, like me, you're just wanting to swim for exercise, it wasn't necessary to swim without it, though it's a great transition piece for learning to swim laps again.

After relearning to swim laps, it isn't as hard to stay calm and work on your breathing timing without the fin.

Now that we have a pool in the backyard, I always kid my wife how can I even float again without a huge oversized pool noodle!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Lunch:
    8x1 Power Snatch
    8x3 Power Clean Thrusters
    4x4 Behind the Neck Snatch Grip Push Press
    4x10 Front Squat
    4x10 BB Rows
    4x10 Lat Pulls

Evening:
    30 minute bike FTP intervals
  • Djproulx
    (snip)

Back around 10 years ago, not too long after I originally lost the weight, I wanted to get more into swimming. I never could get the breathing timing down -- but with that said, getting the breathing calm is what helps you understand your form better.

I cheated and used those Finis swim snorkels. Helps you to concentrate on your stroke. And if, like me, you're just wanting to swim for exercise, it wasn't necessary to swim without it, though it's a great transition piece for learning to swim laps again.

After relearning to swim laps, it isn't as hard to stay calm and work on your breathing timing without the fin.

Now that we have a pool in the backyard, I always kid my wife how can I even float again without a huge oversized pool noodle!

@Mike - Yes, many folks feel anxiety over breathing and that gets in the way of keeping your head down and focusing on staying long and flat in the water while pushing the water backwards (not down) with each stroke. I have a bunch of swim aids including the swim snorkel and use them regularly in my drill sets before the main swim. Allows me to concentrate on specific elements of the stroke without too much fatigue. (pull buoy, swim fins, hand paddles, snorkel).

For those who are real newbies or having trouble with head down breathing, a couple things that seem to work are 1) pull buoy between legs to stop legs from sinking and 2) repeating a mantra to yourself as a reminder not to hold your breath when head is in the water. The mantra I used when starting out was " Bubbles.....Bubbles.....Breathe" since I breathe bilaterally on every third stroke. So saying "bubbles" slowly during each stroke reminded me to exhale a constant, controlled stream of breathe into the water, and when I turned my head to breathe, the lungs would be empty so I didn't have to exhale then quickly gulp a mouthful of air.

The other thing that helped (and is silly to write!) was a trick to help new swimmers keep their legs straight and not bend the knees (knees bent =legs sink). The mental image to reinforce core tautness and straight posture was "Think of squeezing a coin between your butt cheeks and don't let it drop" because doing so forces glute activation and erect posture.

• MikePfirrman
    @Djproulx -- those are great tricks and good advice!

Today's cardio was ridiculously easy. Just 30 minutes on the LateralX and then 30 more on the Assault Bike. Only broke out of warmup HR a few times (like above 117 for me). Wanted to have an easy day for golf tonight so I'm not too exhausted and I have a hard day tomorrow with lifting sets and rowing intervals.