WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2022

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,315 Member
    Barbara - so far I've called 2 places about regraveling our driveway. The first was a nearby quarry - Rosie was barking so loud at something she saw outside the window (bird, leaf blowing, etc. :D ) I couldn't get a lot of the conversation, but I think they do driveways. The gal I spoke to sounded like she was about 16, no telephone etiquette. :s I'm jealous of these kids with good hearing, lol. I'll stop by in person one of these days.

Also emailed a road building contractor I used to know when I worked at the county. Haven't heard back, I'm sure he's super busy. Lots of building & new driveways going on in our county right now, housing boom. My re-graveling isn't critical.

I thought about your situation with adding grading to the equation.
    It might be worth the time and trouble to head to the county public works/building department and do some investigation about that lane you live on. Like, was it part of a subdivision, was any of it engineered as a condition of building, etc. You might be able to get a county engineer to come take a look at it and give his/her opinion.

Or a road builder/construction guy to come give an estimate. Perhaps that's already been done.

Our county used to do that for a small fee, not sure if they still do. I'm the type of person that needs reassurance and advice on this stuff.

Also, is there a road maintenance agreement for your lane? Are you guys splitting the cost with neighbors? Just curious. Our private road is blacktopped, but starting to fail in areas-just getting a little crumbly on the edges (we aren't on any slope.) So one of these days, hopefully after I don't live here anymore, lol, there will be big expense for those of us who live on this lane if it has to be ground out, new base layer and asphalt. Gulp. 1/4 mile. It's a subdivision and we all share equally in the maintenance costs.

Debbie - I am following your story, I agree, keep doing what you are doing. Taking on MIL's full time care would not be good. You need to take care of you! <3

Had a good call with my attorney yesterday morning, he went over a few things that needed clarification. He said he's retiring the end of this week. Finally - he's 75. I can't imagine being embroiled in legal inheritance messes and not going bonkers. He's going to keep a few of us older clients who need him from time to time, but otherwise taking down his shingle.

Rebecca - what a beautiful train station! Enjoy your trip, give Athena a million hugs. <3

Machka - beautiful hair color!

Make it a fabulous day, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    Rainy and cool SW WA State. Expected high of 58 today.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Debbie, God Bless YOU! I couldn't do daycare (and I actually did try it once when the girls were really small), much less be a full-time caregiver! You stick to your guns! (Barbie, you and I are from the same era) And now the cat... when it rains, huh? Hope you slept well.

Welcome Debra! Jump on in!

Weekend's here for me. Not much planned. Freddy is on a fishing trip. Kids are off doing their things. I'm headed down to New Ulm to visit a friend for a couple hours today, but not much else. Have a great one!

Carla, in MN
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,292 Member
    Debbie ~ I agree with the others concerning your mother-in-law. You are an angel!

Very high 90's here today and the air conditioning in our rental house has gone out. DH called at least 10 repair places and no one can come until next Tuesday at the earliest. :s Renter is not happy!

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3o:)B)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited June 2022
    I did my yoga and fast marching. Yay!

I gained half a pound last week. I had three days way over calories when my cousin was here. So that's fair.

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    edited June 2022
    Barbie - Thank you for the compliment. <3 I'm more concerned about the poor devils who are manning the phones and rearranging everything!
    Just now Saga phoned us. A very nice woman told us our pick up is now 5 pm and the ship is leaving at midnight.(It's usually late afternoon). I asked about food. She said the bar area at the back of the ship will be open and food avaliable. I expect there will be snacks and drinks at the boarding point too. I suggested to DH that we have a substantial snack at around 4 pm and have something in our carry on, just in case!
    I asked about my possible refund, but also took the time to thank the woman for her work and expressed my appreciation for how difficult it must have been for everyone. She said it had been very difficult.
    So..... more packing time! I did my jewellery this afternoon. Did toiletries and meds this morning. I found my 'clicker' that I use to keep track of laps run/walked around the deck. The battery is still working! You soon run out of fingers when you are doing laps!
    Also found my motion sensitive night light for the bathroom. No idea if the battery works as it's still in the packet. Bought for the first cancelled cruise in 2020.

I also rang my friend L. Still in a bad way. Hip very painful. Hasn't seen anyone since Monday, though she has some visitors next week. Not sleeping. Drinking. And her eye has wet macula degeneration and is getting worse. The hospital can't see her until next Friday. Sounds awful. She can hardly read.
    She will come out of it eventually, but being alone isn't helping. Her alcoholic sister is visiting in July. Dread to think.

Oh well. I've done my best. I find it's hard to know what to say. Any news about my life feels as if I am rubbing salt in the wound.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    Cool and drizzly here. I have my menus and grocery list done and will head out soon to get groceries for the week. I have an appointment with ortho Monday morning for my ankle. Doubt they will recommend surgery but we will see.

Heather - you are being very gracious about the changes in schedule but I bet there are many who are not.

Barbie - there are times like now when I wish we had a smaller place but I would miss having the horses and goats right out the back door.

Rita - sorry you are stuck in one spot. Any chance of smaller day trips or weekend getaways?

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,315 Member
    Barbara - so far I've called 2 places about regraveling our driveway. The first was a nearby quarry - Rosie was barking so loud at something she saw outside the window (bird, leaf blowing, etc. :D ) I couldn't get a lot of the conversation, but I think they do driveways. The gal I spoke to sounded like she was about 16, no telephone etiquette. :s I'm jealous of these kids with good hearing, lol. I'll stop by in person one of these days.

Also emailed a road building contractor I used to know when I worked at the county. Haven't heard back, I'm sure he's super busy. Lots of building & new driveways going on in our county right now, housing boom. My re-graveling isn't critical.

Barbara, I just heard back from the road building contractor, he's going to come out one of these days and check it out for regraveling. He's booked into October. Will let you know what I find out.

Barbie - you made a very wise move with your place. If I didn't have help or was physically unable to keep up with this "wilderness" I'd be searching for a spot similar to yours. There are some in our community, big waiting list right now.

Lanette B)

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 942 Member
    Meg-I'm with you on the overwhelming nature of re-modeling anything. When I had my bathroom torn down to the studs, the worst part was picking out tile. Next worst was paint. We are now starting the re-construction process on our front yard area. We will tile it and I'm dreading going to the tile store.

I have a friend who has 7 beagles. He treats them as if they are his kids, down to putting party hats on them and celebrating each one's birthday.

Heather-Have a great cruise.

Tina in CA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,022 Member
    ☘️
  • pipcd34
    UPDATE:

Walk w/family to get blood work done- 1hr 39min 48sec, 26elev, 3.30ap, 106ahr, 139mhr, 5.49mi= 492c
    Strava app = 626c
    Walk w/family from lab to home (kirby fell)- 1hr 25min 54sec, 45elev, 2.93ap, 97ahr, 111mhr, 3.92mi= 362c
    Strava app = 447c

Est 3hrs 45min total
    11.37 miles total

* after a mile, realized I forgot the form needed for the lab, had to go back and get it *

Kirby fell on the way home. I offered to have him stay put while I get the car, didn’t want to, offered to take him to ER (we were right in front of his hospital) didn’t want that either.

Total cal 1073