• strongerfaith
    strongerfaith Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    n3p1d10q4u61.jpeg
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Happy USA Independence Day…. I live in one of the few towns in the SF bay area that allows sale of personal fireworks, in my humble opinion a darn stupid idea – we are in summer CA’s hot dry time, and in the middle of the worst drought in recorded history for us – but the fireworks are sold by assorted children’s charities and it is impossible to even have a discussion about giving up their fund raiser, so that’s what it is.

BUT all that said for 11 years the family across the street who were renters and had a huge extended family have spend many thousands of dollars on fireworks, shooting them off the roof, sometimes finding connections to illegal ones – the neighborhood would for a week before and especially on the 4th be a bit like living in a war zone. BUT they MOVED!!!!!!!!! So I know other folks will have fireworks tonight, but nothing like last year. And so far this week there have been no fireworks shot off. Thanks goodness ! the tranquilizers are out for Levi, but I may be able to just turn the TV or music on and close windows and he’ll be ok.

I love fireworks and would support a professional display, but the idea of every half drunk human with their cheese slipping off their cracker (thanks Lisa) with fire, explosives, dry roofs and a need to look mighty just makes my tummy go flip flop!

Veggies - I love them! Even the “yucky” ones with the right prep you can get me to like. Lima and Fava beans have a weird texture, but cooked then pureed with garlic and an addition of cream make a great soup, brussels sprouts cut in half wrapped in bacon and cooked until the bacon is done and the sprout caramelized, is just fine thank you. Cabbage as slaw is great, why cook it when it is just fine as a salad. So far today, I have had zucchini, tomato, red onion, romaine lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms, basil. (before dinner) I do tend to eat pretty seasonally and out of my garden when possible. For example the only veg I have eaten today that I did not grow was the mushrooms and they are not really a veg.

Pip – what a cute toy scooter! Your crafty side is coming out in retirement.

Lisa – your family story is great, although the double Lisa part is a bit of a double take…. The kids and Corey are darn lucky to have found a better Lisa.

Sending love to all.

Kim in N. California
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Beth- Happy Birthday - I went to DQ today and got myself a strawberry milkshake and sat down by the river and watched the boats go by,then went and picked up Alfie and Tom and Elenas and went to Bevs house. We had a lovely afternoon out on the patio, she made us buttered lobster sandwiches,a bit of potato salad and a few grape tomatoes. And i had lemonade..and we just enjoyed the lovely weather.
    Homer i think is slowing down and on his last legs poor baby.. he is sleeping more and more can no longer see and its i thinking getting close to that time.. and I just am so sad for Tom because it will devestate him.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Lanette I do dumbbells but a little different approach. I don't like to use much weight because I am afraid of dropping them. So I do 40 reps with low weight. And I mostly alternate easy and hard exercises so I can keep moving. I do thirty some different types of lifts and stretches, including planks, squats, deadlifts and crunches. It meets my goal of burning extra calories safely and builds some strength but not as much as I would with more weight. Just a different approach.

My mom has this memory center medical appointment tomorrow. It's quite possible that she will refuse to go. I'm trying not to worry about it ahead of time. I have a bunch of paperwork to do for it. I better get started on that.

Annie in Delaware

Annie - how did you develop your weight routine? Just things you picked up over the years? Tips from the gym?

Good luck with your mom's appointment tomorrow. Hope she makes it there OK and you can get some guidance.

Beth - Happy Happy Birthday!!

Kim - what a relief when the "war zone" neighbors moved. ;) Hope tonight is tame and Levi makes it through OK.

Heather- hope the Covid is mild and you and John are over it quickly. Sad to hear his good friend passed away. :(

Rebecca - sending good thoughts to you wherever you are!

Katla - did your DH make it home for the fireworks? So glad the kids are there for you.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Worked today, went in the pool, got dinner ready, will probably go for a walk tonight after dinner and then I’ll clean the spa because Vince power washed by the spa today and it looks really bad. Went to WalMart after work to get some prescriptions for Vince and a few other things we needed. Then bought gas. Still not happy about the price.

No special plans for tomorrow. I have an eye MD appt.

M – how do you cook you leafy parts of beets? I tried it once and for some reason I just wasn’t fond of it. Maybe it is more how I made them. I think I just steamed them. I really like the golden beets, but most stores only sell the red ones. I can usually get the goldens at the farmer’s market

Heather – I’m so sorry for Johnny. Get well fast.

Happy fourth to all who celebrate

KJ – have fun with your bro and his daughter

Barbara – make those muffins in a minimuffin tin. This way it feels like you’re having so much more. Usually 3 of the minis equals one full sized one

Corn should be in soon. I get some from this one guy. His is so sweet. I will probably get 2 bags (I think each bag has about 20 ears in it). By the time we go thru that, I’ll have had my fill of corn. Will probably go thru it faster with Colby and Jess here. I like purple potatoes, red are OK, but purple…..

I don’t care for canned veges, either. Frozen and fresh.

Beth – happy birthday

Took a walk around the block, then cleaned the spa (it was gross from Vince powerwashing), took a shower, will go sleep with Shadow.

Michele NC
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,101 Member
    Options
    ❤️🇺🇸❤️
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Beth every year I start lettuce in planters so if it gets too hot I can move them to a cool spot. I add tops of carrots because they will produce tops that look a bit like dill that I can add to my salad. the tops are green and taste like carrots. The beet leaves I pick before they get very big.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Beth
    🎉🥳🎂 Happy Birthday 🎂🥳🎉

Heather I hope you and DH have a mild case of Covid 💞

<3 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,500 Member
    Options
    The glorious morning drizzled into overcast and showers before noon. Can’t see any fireworks but hearing a few big BOOMs. Shadow barks to tell them to “STOP it!”

The very happiest of birthdays to you Beth. You really are a Yankee Doodle Dandy!
    Lanette you’re inspiring me to get back to SWSY. Here’s the video I use, but add the triceps from the video you shared. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1YvnvQo4Yc&amp;list=PL-lxnbdeufTaqB0d7AXnRKTNTWy1khOXO&amp;index=5&amp;t=2128s
    I used to alternate SWSY with BB&B (Better Bones and Balance) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWsEcHqDP0w&amp;list=PL-lxnbdeufTaqB0d7AXnRKTNTWy1khOXO&amp;index=2
    And https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM60FhzS1dI&amp;list=PL-lxnbdeufTaqB0d7AXnRKTNTWy1khOXO&amp;index=1.
    Long past time to pick them up again.
    Ginny “…when you follow the directions” hahahaha! Well done!
    Pip :love: the scooter toy deco. Remember coveting your scooter… ;)
    Annie praying your mother will cooperate with the appointment tomorrow.
    Kim what you said about half drunk humans and fireworks in the drought stricken west. Michele ”mini-muffin tins” great idea!
    Welcome @bmorisette1002 Bonnie in Casper WY! Many of us here don’t do the “friend” thing but keep in touch on this thread. Bookmark it and return often! nscn50853ma2.jpg
    Joyce is that you?!?
    Tracey I’m with you about the rain this summer. :cry:

Oh and one last vegetable that I can not eat: cilantro. Tastes like Irish Spring to me. :laugh:

Time to snooze, can’t snack when I’m asleep ;)

Done:
    7/4: Move: 1 set pt, Jeopardy walking steps: 6630
    Fuel: protein=51g sugar=91g fiber=17g sodium=2090mg fruit=2 vegs=4
    Live: Joe, readings, water D’s plants
    Wt: 140.9!!!

Lighter, lovelies!

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

2022: Be still and listen.
    July: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Beth!

Heather - hope you and DH are well very soon.

Welcome to the newbies.

Sounds like a war zone outside. Critters are all nervous but doing okay. We made sure they were at the back of the property and had shelter and room to move. Horses especially prefer to be able to move and not be shut in.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I had a nap yesterday morning and in the afternoon. Just woken up from my best night's sleep ever! Slept non-stop from 11 to 5 (I normally get up for the bathroom) and then again until 7.35. I did take a Nytol, but only a small one. We see both doing well. Even DH is resting and sleeping. He went out for a 35 minute walk around the block yesterday, but I have banned gymming. :p
    We won't be able to go and collect Bea today, but hope to catch up soon. I had to put their smoked lamb in the freezer.
    All good. Ready for another quiet day, we hope.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,201 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I buy frozen mixed veggies (corn, peas, green beans, carrots). They may not be the top healthy veggies but I eat them almost every day and with nothing on them. The other veggies I eat consistently are grape tomatoes that sit out on the counter and I eat them out of the container like I used to eat MnMs.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Frozen veg are almost as good as fresh, health-wise. All the goodness is sealed in.

I love most veg, and keep frozen for when I’m not in the mood for prepping fresh.

Here’s my June - July Update

June 2022 Review:
    🔹June focus: Creativity
    🔹worked most days on my crochet project and it’s now well under way.
    🔹wrote some poetry, painted a few watercolours, made several cards.
    🔹planted up summer containers and new veg bed.
    🔹Solid Habits maintained

🔹July Focus:
    🔹Consolidation of habits
    🔹Maintenance

Current Stats:
    • ☘️Terri, in Northern Ireland: age 76
    • 5’2”
    • Working on strength/stamina/flexibility
    • All my stats are in the normal range for my age/height.
    • Weight < 140
    • Fat% < 22.0
    • Muscle% > 31
    • CI < CO
    • Steps > 7500
    • Intentional exercise > 50 mins daily
    • Active hours > 6 daily
    Daily Habits
    Food
    🔹log All food and drink; stay under goal; balance macros/micros; Hydrate adequately; limit NLNS!!!
    Exercise:
    🔹7,500+ Steps daily
    🔹50 + minutes intentional exercise
    Mind/Body/Soul/Spirit
    🔹Daily Mindfulness Practice/Meditation
    🔹Practice Self-care
    🔹Positively reframe thoughts
    🔹Learn something new
    🔹Keep up to date with chores
    🔹Communicate
    🔹Create/adapt positive habits
    🔹Puzzles/Art/Craft/Write/Read
    🔹Gardening
    🔹15 mins Daily Declutter session

https://www.random.org/colors/hex
    Purple: #ff4968.
    569147nmlfkdnzlz.gif
    THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES OR SHORTCUTS to achieving permanent change.
    REMINDERS One or two thoughts which might give heart to some of you.
    • Daily weight fluctuations are normal, and can be as much as 2 lbs a day for no apparent reason.
    • A general downward trend is what we are looking for.
    • Eating out can cause apparent weight gain because of high sodium levels, but usually goes quickly. Drinking extra water helps with this.
    • The human body does not react instantly to what we do to it. Sometimes it can take several days to see results.
    • Plateaus are a normal part of the process. The body is consolidating and adapting to your new way of eating/exercising.
    • The closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it becomes to lose weight, as your body becomes more efficient at using what you feed it.
    • When you exercise you build muscle, which takes up less space than fat, so use measurements as well as weight to assess your progress.
    • Getting/Staying fit and healthy requires a lifestyle change for most people.
    Stick with the process. It DOES work! But it does take time, effort, and most of all, patience!

☘️Terri

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – how do you cook you leafy parts of beets? I tried it once and for some reason I just wasn’t fond of it. Maybe it is more how I made them. I think I just steamed them. I really like the golden beets, but most stores only sell the red ones. I can usually get the goldens at the farmer’s market

Michele NC

This assumes I know how to cook! :lol:

My husband cooks them ... boiled, I'm guessing. They end up kind of mushy, but add pepper and a little bit of salt, and they're all right.

Dinner ... tonight we had sweet potatoes (fruit & veg market), carrots (ours), cauliflower and broccoli (frozen), zucchini (fruit & veg market) and beets including their stems (ours). I haven't had beets in a while, and yes, they're sweet. Plus we each had 188 grams of a sweet potato cottage pie. That was dinner!

Canned veggies ... apparently they're more or less OK. Because of the price of fresh veggies these days, "they" are recommending people turn to canned veggies. BUT ... I don't like most canned veggies. I don't mind canned chickpeas, and will tolerate creamed corn occasionally, but most other things ... no.

Fireworks ... I used to love them. In Canada, we'd have organised fireworks twice a year: New Year's Eve and Canada Day. Here, in Australia, we have them New Year's Eve and Australia Day.

And then we were in Germany cycling the Rhine route in August 2012, and there were fireworks and parties just about every night. It would go on until 2 or 3 am and it got old very quickly!

We haven't gone to many fireworks events since then. Fortunately, the New Year's Eve events go at two times: about 9:30 pm and midnight and carry on for about 15 minutes. So when we have gone, we've gone to the 9:30 pm event so that we're home again shortly after 10 pm. Then of course, we're off work on New Year's Day. :)

We haven't seen any fireworks since my husband's accident. I'm concerned about the noise and bright lights ... and we've gone away to rural area with no fireworks over Christmas and New Year's.

Machka in Oz