WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2022

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    <3Heather and Johnny

:) More about veggies. Upon further reflection, I realize that I routinely eat many more veggies beyond the ones I already mentioned (tomatoes, frozen mixed veggies). I make chicken or turkey soup with carrots, celery. and onion (I'd add parsnips but Jake doesn't like them and says that they spoil the soup). I scramble eggs with a frozen mixture of onion, red, yellow, and green peppers. Sometimes we have frozen broccoli or cauliflower. I am growing zucchini and when it's ready in August, I'll eat it every day. I have yellow squash on my grocery order for next week.

:'( There were fireworks nearby last night and Bessie moved from her bed near the window to the corner on the floor next to my side of the bed. They weren't loud but it doesn't take much to scare her. I expect that it will be worse tonight.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

v7jb88ygfjn8.png

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    tbbqq60pz924.png
  • LeslieAWagner
    LeslieAWagner Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Happy 4th to those that celebrate! Last night I saw more lightening bugs than I ever have in my life! I don’t recall our woods this way last year so am curious how it came to be they chose here.

Off to make my shortcake - Have a fabulous day!
    906cp5huvmjo.jpeg

Leslie from the Ozark’s
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    e14qj0ms14ut.gif
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    M lettuce likes it cool so it make sense some shade works for it. Peas are the same. Again this year not getting many peas because we had patches of 90 degree days. Strawberries did great. Almost done.

If you plant brocoli you can use the leaves in your salad too. Has the vitamins but easier to eat raw than the florets. Tastes like brocoli. The stems of brocoli are good for you too. We just cook them a bit longer and peel off the outer layer so easier to eat. I plant beet seeds in my lettuce bowl not to get beets but to use the leaves in a salad too. Taste simliar to swiss chard. Has the red line going through the leaf.. I also take the tops of my organic carrots and plant in my lettuce bowl too. the leaves look a bit like dill. I trim this and eat in my salad too. The leaves do have a mild carrot taste.

The only veggies I ever met I do not like are eggplant and black eyed peas. Texture in the first case taste in the second. I like Okra in soups or in batter and fried (although that defeats the purpose of eating a veggie) My mom used to put Okra in her soup. Good memory.

Heather I have a friend that got COVID right after her cruise to Alaska. Fortunately they were already off the ship when they (her friend got it too) when they tested positivve.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Happy cracker day
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,339 Member
    Options
    wl6rr5v3kpdt.png

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Did my yoga and fast marching! Yay!

Annie
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    qkmrt6fhspv5.gif

Happy Fourth for those who celebrate. No fireworks here. They stopped them after a major catastrophe where 3 firefighters died in a fireworks explosion a few years ago.

Veggies, I love them all but allergic to eggplant and garlic— eat them anyway but in small batches. BBQ or sautéed. DH taught me to sauté them which made me love all greens that way - sautéed in butter with a little pepperoni and seasoning per taste. Yummy but favorite greens are beet greens. Tender and sweet, not bitter.

RvRita
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Margaret ... what are you referring to when you say "plant in your lettuce bowl?"

Vegetables ... as a kid I hated them. Now I love most everything except peas and that's really just dependent on preparation and age of the peas. I discovered that carrot tops are really good! Especially if made into a pesto and top roasted carrots. Not sure about okra. It wasn't used in any of my family's recipes. I'm not a fan of frozen or canned vegetables ... really like things in season. Niki ... I would enjoy getting a farmer share. Was a member of misfit produce for a while, but then they started sending poor quality, so I quit.

Heather and Johnny ... get well quick!

4th of July Plans. ... no special plans tonight except a trip to Dairy Queen after dinner. My husband ... all of us actually ... have really knuckled down on eating healthy since my husband's diabetes diagnosis ... but today is my birthday. Since I wouldn't let them bring anything into the house, we decided that a special treat for today would be ok. I'm really glad to see my husband get serious about his health. We'll meet with the nutritionist on Wednesday and I have a lot of questions for her. I understand just about every diet on the planet, but want to make certain we're understanding carbohydrates/sugars/net carbs correctly. She is going to need to talk to him about portions.

Fireworks ... the neighbors have been setting them off all weekend so I'm sure they'll do more this evening. There have been professional displays available to attend. Our community has it's parade tonight at 8:00 and then fireworks at dusk. We won't attend as I'm no fan of crowded areas.

So sad today about Highland Park, IL. My brother's home is 7 miles from where the shooting took place. He and his family are safe, but they knew people at the parade and in the parade ... who as information is filtering through, are also ok. Another grieving community.

Beth near Buffalo

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,339 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    OK ladies.....

Have you ever heard of the 70+ year old weight lifter Joan McDonald? Interesting gal.

She's on Facebook: Train With Joan.

I have no desire to emulate her muscles, especially with my joint troubles, but any exercise is better than no exercise. I just did my Strong Women Stay Young workout this morning and plan to do it three times per week, building back up to acceptable weight level.

New ladies - some of us in this group have been doing the Strong Women Stay Young (SWSY) program - thank you Barbie for telling us about it a few years ago. The book is by Miriam E. Nelson, Ph.D. from Tufts University, and the program was developed as strength training for older women. I recommend reading the book once or twice before diving in.

Here's a video showing some of the exercises - I do a much, much simpler version right now but you get the idea.:

I did the SWSY for several years until I was stalled with some injuries and a surgery, and other life complications not related to the workouts. I didn't develop into Joan McDonald, lol, but had good energy and just felt better overall than I had in a while. Workout "high", lol.

I'm not a "go to the gym" person because I don't like being around another person's sweat, never have, and I don't like to wait around to get access to a machine.

Lanette B)

SW WA State
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family and to store- 1hr 56min 32sec, 3.10ap, 61elev, 96mhr, 153mhr, 6.06mi= 560c
    Strava app = 690c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 43.07min, 486elev, 125aw, 17.5amph, 114ahr, 143mhr, 12.55mi= 298c
    Strava app = 308c
    Zwift stats- 43.13min, 486elev, 124aw, 51arpm, 17.49amph, 308c
    Also wash/ brushed yogi, didn’t count cal for that

Total cal 858