Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    MsCzar wrote: »
    OMG! I finally opened my last case of TP - 2019 vintage. The stock up has nothing to do with Covid, but when the pandemic hit, I was happy to have a prepper's storage closet, full larder and a victory garden going. Looks like I'm finally going to have to buy some Charmin some time in 2023. :D

On a more serious note, my entire reason for losing weight (6 stone) and exercising daily was because I feared obese out-of-shape me mightn't survive the virus. I finally did get Covid last month and thanks to Pfizer and a much healthier body, it was pretty much a two-day case of the sniffles.

Good for you.

I wish they would have emphasized the roll good health plays (normal weight and exercise) in fights this from day 1.

Still not doing it :(.

There's a terrible track record for the general public paying attention to those kind of alarms, based on what's happened to various public health measures over the last few decades. I can understand why the medical establishment would think it'd be fruitless to blow that horn.

That said, for a person to not know or realize that from pretty early on, I think they'd mostly need to be exercising willful ignorance. It didn't take long, for example, before obesity was obviously and publically flagged as a risk factor for worse infection, along with some of the metabolic conditions that are common in that context.

For sure, for someone to not realize that a sub-par diet, excess body weight, and unfitness are health risks in a more general sense . . . well, with rare exceptions they'd need to be working at avoiding the realization, seems like. I've been one of those people, in some respects. It's pretty easy to ignore a clear message one doesn't want to act on, IME.

We've seen some folks here who got that message about Covid risk and lifestyle, mentioned it when they joined MFP; some have even stuck around and succeeded.

It's a sad statement on the US population that the collective "we" just want a pill or shot to take care of an issue rather than taking reasonable personal responsibility to help mitigate a potential health issue. Sure getting the shots is important, but would be nice to also see some personal ownership instead of an average Covid weight gain of whatever the number is.

Just me ranting.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2022
    cant speak for the NHS - but there in Australia Vitamin D is a regular request in standard base line bloods and any patient could request it if Dr did not add already.

I had bloodwork done at the beginning of the pandemic when Australia went into 'lockdown' and as many of us as possible worked from home. I was very deficient in Vitamin D. It was very likely a contributor to the mild depression I experienced at the onset of the pandemic. I double dosed Vit D through Autumn and Winter and single dosed through spring and summer. I also stepped up my outdoor walks in sun safe periods of the day and moved my desk closer to a large window.
    My Vit D levels are now satisfactory but still take supplements as I largely still work from home.
    I was aware of the function of Vitamin D prior to COVID19 but had no idea that an Australian living in a northern state could be so deficient.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Nobody claims the vaccine is perfect.

They did originally. They said it was over 95% effective originally which is about as close to perfect as you get with vaccines. Now they can't even give us a number. Also, remember they originally claimed COVID mutated slowly and mutations were not expected to significantly reduce the efficacy of the vaccine? Believe the science, whatever it is this week.
    Despite mutations in the virus it does reduce your chances of catching it and greatly reduce the chances of severe disease if you do

No vaccine reduces your chance of GETTING a virus. The virus will still get into your body either way. It just reduces your symptoms and the ability of the virus to replicate (if the vaccine is effective, that is). Of course in some viruses, as with dengue fever and the vaccine trials for the original SARS, being infected once actually makes the symptoms worse if you are infected again.

This worried me at first with the vaccine. But then I realized that if it were to happen with Covid the same antibody enhancement effect would happen after natural infection OR vaccine, and my chance of avoiding natural infection indefinitely was pretty much zero.

Does anyone know if subsequent infections tend to be worse? I am still a little nervous about this enhancement effect occurring with new variants. I'm vaxx'd, boosted (1) and had Covid (probably Omicron) in April. Would be curious to hear from anyone who has had multiple infections how that went for you ....
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    OMG! I finally opened my last case of TP - 2019 vintage. The stock up has nothing to do with Covid, but when the pandemic hit, I was happy to have a prepper's storage closet, full larder and a victory garden going. Looks like I'm finally going to have to buy some Charmin some time in 2023. :D

On a more serious note, my entire reason for losing weight (6 stone) and exercising daily was because I feared obese out-of-shape me mightn't survive the virus. I finally did get Covid last month and thanks to Pfizer and a much healthier body, it was pretty much a two-day case of the sniffles.

Good for you.

I wish they would have emphasized the roll good health plays (normal weight and exercise) in fights this from day 1.

There's a terrible track record for the general public paying attention to those kind of alarms, based on what's happened to various public health measures over the last few decades. I can understand why the medical establishment would think it'd be fruitless to blow that horn.

That said, for a person to not know or realize that from pretty early on, I think they'd mostly need to be exercising willful ignorance. It didn't take long, for example, before obesity was obviously and publically flagged as a risk factor for worse infection, along with some of the metabolic conditions that are common in that context.

For sure, for someone to not realize that a sub-par diet, excess body weight, and unfitness are health risks in a more general sense . . . well, with rare exceptions they'd need to be working at avoiding the realization, seems like. I've been one of those people, in some respects. It's pretty easy to ignore a clear message one doesn't want to act on, IME.

We've seen some folks here who got that message about Covid risk and lifestyle, mentioned it when they joined MFP; some have even stuck around and succeeded.

It's a sad statement on the US population that the collective "we" just want a pill or shot to take care of an issue rather than taking reasonable personal responsibility to help mitigate a potential health issue. Sure getting the shots is important, but would be nice to also see some personal ownership instead of an average Covid weight gain of whatever the number is.

Just me ranting.

You want people to blame themselves for getting covid? 🙄
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    I have had covid twice. The 1st time November 2020 extreme headaches, with most every other symptom except difficulty breathing. I would say I was in bed sick for about 6 days. It took a couple months to get my stamina back to normal level. Just plain tired a big portion of the time.

I had covid again December 2021 (Most likely Omicron) and had a slight sore throat and runny nose for a couple days.

My husband contracted again at the end of January 2022 (family gathering, believe brother had it and spread to other family members). I never caught that time. There were 11 adults and 3 kids at the gathering. None of the kids caught it, and 5 adults caught it. (Just weird how it goes to some and not the others. BTW out of the 5 adults getting covid, 2 were vaxxed the other 3 unvaxxed. Others who did not get it were 3 vaxxed and 3 unvaxxed.)

My husband and I had covid at the same time the other prior times. His last experience with covid was loss of taste. Otherwise he didnt have any other symptoms. His taste returned.

Neither of us are vaxxed. Based upon information we have researched, we believe it is/was the best decision for us. As you can tell from above comment, we have family vaxxed and unvaxxed. His parents were both vaxxed (father passed from covid although he was fully vaxxed and 1 booster). My father 85, not vaxxed had covid and suffered the flu/cold symptoms for about 10 days + loss of smell. Fortunately he did not have any breathing issues. He never had long covid even though he is in the high category. (health and age)

There is such a wide variance in severity and contracting the virus. There is so much scientific evidence that contradicts itself from one study to the next. I honestly don't know what "science" is to be taken as factual science. This virus doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason which might be part of the reason.

Everyone should make their own decision and hope we all make the best one for our own self.

I have enjoyed reading the thread quietly from my arm chair.

I am not an antivaxxer. I dont think there were long enough trials or studies for this. (I get it was considered a health emergency). At this point, I believe I have made the right choice for myself.

Stay healthy and happy!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 wrote: »

They did originally. They said it was over 95% effective originally which is about as close to perfect as you get with vaccines. Now they can't even give us a number. Also, remember they originally claimed COVID mutated slowly and mutations were not expected to significantly reduce the efficacy of the vaccine? Believe the science, whatever it is this week.
    Despite mutations in the virus it does reduce your chances of catching it and greatly reduce the chances of severe disease if you do

No vaccine reduces your chance of GETTING a virus. The virus will still get into your body either way. It just reduces your symptoms and the ability of the virus to replicate (if the vaccine is effective, that is). Of course in some viruses, as with dengue fever and the vaccine trials for the original SARS, being infected once actually makes the symptoms worse if you are infected again.

This worried me at first with the vaccine. But then I realized that if it were to happen with Covid the same antibody enhancement effect would happen after natural infection OR vaccine, and my chance of avoiding natural infection indefinitely was pretty much zero.

Does anyone know if subsequent infections tend to be worse? I am still a little nervous about this enhancement effect occurring with new variants. I'm vaxx'd, boosted (1) and had Covid (probably Omicron) in April. Would be curious to hear from anyone who has had multiple infections how that went for you ....

It got worse each time and now i have long covid... this is with "healthy eating and supplements and blah blah blah".

Sorry to hear that you are suffering from long covid. I have a viral illness in June 2020 that resulted in post viral fatigue syndrome for 6ish months, but the illness itself was very mild. Basically a headache and extreme fatigue, which then took months to resolve. (Tested negative at the time but still think it might have been Covid). Then my bout with Omicron in April was like the worst flu ever had, but resolved with no significant after effects.
    Is post viral fatigue basically the same as long Covid? I had a few months of daily headaches, fatigue, facial pain, twitching, vertigo, brain fog etc. No lung issues, more neurological type things.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,957 Member

Anecdotally (i.e., based on folks I know), it's been somewhat variable whether it's worse or not as bad.

I suspect that these results are shaped not just by genetic characteristics of the basic virus itself, but also by

* the variant (similar or more different),
    * the timing vs. previous vax/infection,
    * general state of health of the person at point of infection (maybe even whether they've had some other bug recently, are well rested/nourished, more or less highly stressed in other ways at the time, etc.),
    * viral load at the point of infection (I've read suggestions that if one gets a big whopping dose of viral particles all at once, the infection can be worse than if a smaller load, but that's just my understanding, not an authoritative opinion for which I can provide research evidence).
    * who knows what else?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

Good for you.

Just me ranting.

Reread and comprehend my comment. Nowhere did I say I want people to blame themselves for getting covid.

I wish people would take personal responsibility for their health instead of wanting to rely on a drug to take care of them. Good personal health habits, supplementing a drug when needed, result in better outcomes from a disease, illness, injury in virtually all situations. Too many people don't want to make the effort/change to achieve these better outcomes.
  • Chef_Barbell

Good for you.

Just me ranting.

Reread and comprehend my comment. Nowhere did I say I want people to blame themselves for getting covid.

I wish people would take personal responsibility for their health instead of wanting to rely on a drug to take care of them. Good personal health habits, supplementing a drug when needed, result in better outcomes from a disease, illness, injury in virtually all situations. Too many people don't want to make the effort/change to achieve these better outcomes.

But the thread is about covid... so again re read what I said.
  • 33gail33
    edited July 2022

It got worse each time and now i have long covid... this is with "healthy eating and supplements and blah blah blah".

Sorry to hear that you are suffering from long covid. I have a viral illness in June 2020 that resulted in post viral fatigue syndrome for 6ish months, but the illness itself was very mild. Basically a headache and extreme fatigue, which then took months to resolve. (Tested negative at the time but still think it might have been Covid). Then my bout with Omicron in April was like the worst flu ever had, but resolved with no significant after effects.
    Is post viral fatigue basically the same as long Covid? I had a few months of daily headaches, fatigue, facial pain, twitching, vertigo, brain fog etc. No lung issues, more neurological type things.

Those are my exact symptoms... so much fatigue and brain fog. When I had it the first time it was just a really bad cough that felt like I smoked 40 packs of cigarettes a day. When I had it the 2nd and 3rd times it was like flu on steroids (which was Christmas of 2021), that's when the lingering reduced lung capacity, fatigue and fog came.

ETA- I'm fully vaxxed and boosted as well as pretty healthy according to medical markers (slight HBP controlled by meds and diet). I agree there seems to be no rhyme or reason to long covid, but I FULLY believe the science behind the fact that I would be on a ventilator or worse the 2nd or 3rd time I caught it without vaccination, which is what they are supposed to do. 🤷‍♀️

All the best - hopefully yours resolves eventually as mine did. I had a round of steroids which I think helped? Either that or it just ran its course.
  • Chef_Barbell

Those are my exact symptoms... so much fatigue and brain fog. When I had it the first time it was just a really bad cough that felt like I smoked 40 packs of cigarettes a day. When I had it the 2nd and 3rd times it was like flu on steroids (which was Christmas of 2021), that's when the lingering reduced lung capacity, fatigue and fog came.

ETA- I'm fully vaxxed and boosted as well as pretty healthy according to medical markers (slight HBP controlled by meds and diet). I agree there seems to be no rhyme or reason to long covid, but I FULLY believe the science behind the fact that I would be on a ventilator or worse the 2nd or 3rd time I caught it without vaccination, which is what they are supposed to do. 🤷‍♀️

All the best - hopefully yours resolves eventually as mine did. I had a round of steroids which I think helped? Either that or it just ran its course.

Thank you and hopefully 🙏