August 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Welcome @cmcrae0217 and @rps67! This is a crazy bunch of runners and the discussion can move really fast. Feel free to jump in and ask questions or just join in the conversation.
    @kgirlhart - I am so glad your mom and sister are recovering well and that your mom is able to do her PT exercises. Hopefully soon they will be back to normal and no longer needing to quarantine and your sister and her husband can celebrate! Awesome job on your run this morning! Nice that it is getting a little cooler there! Have you seen Sunny lately?
    @tarun_yadavA - your running routes sound awesome. You will have to share some pictures along your routes. Also great pace for your 'easy' 4 miles!
    @marisap2010 - it is tough to get out and run and continue to run a short run when you are not feeling it. I am amazed you gutted out 18 miles! I cannot do GU's at all. They all upset my stomach. I do like the fruit (sport) gummies as they seem much lighter than others
    @AlphaHowls - I think your paces, especially over the distances you run, are amazing and have gotten faster and faster!
    @martaindale - I agree with others that you should be able to hook up some bluetooth headphones to your TV. Worst case you could connect your iPad to the TV and stream the video to the TV and still use your headphones connected to the iPad.
    @polskagirl01 - I know you will do whatever is right for you at this point in your training with the race this weekend. Maybe the firemen were bored and decided to look busy or needed an excuse to all be out in the field at that time.
    @eleanorhawkins - Glad you had a fairly nice weekend and the pictures (on Strava) were great! I am sorry your husband is being so unsupportive. I can think of lots of ways/things I would say or do. Probably not appropriate for your situation... I did ask my husband at one point (maybe rhetorically) if he really wanted to deal with me if I didn't get to run regularly.
    @quilteryoyo - glad you were able to work out a plan that makes sense to you for where you are now and where you want to be for the 10 mile race.

I have been struggling with the heat but especially the humidity. We are just not used to the humidity and not having the temps drop much overnight. I have also been having IBS issues again. Not sure if the heat is a factor or if I am just in a typical flare. Last Thursday we decided to check out the beach and maybe enjoy some cooler temps. HA! It was nice on the beach but 82F and muggy. Hobbes loved it and was having a ball. Showing that he could still run like a crazy boy at 10!
    I had a pretty great run on Sunday - the temps weren't any lower but the humidity was so much better. I did have some stomach issues that made me walk quite a bit but overall the outing was better than many I have recently. Today I got stuck with things at home and got out really late. I thought I could still get a short run in but it was just too hot for me. So I just did a short fast walk. We have agility class tonight - gonna be a hot one but fortunately the sun will be on its way down and that should help. For the foreseeable future we are supposed to continue to be hot - record setting hot, and humid. I've got to figure out how to manage my runs when I just don't even want to go out in it.
    aqozzk47klyi.png

Thanks for the kind words 😊
    Hope you feel better soon!

Will try and snap a pic or two whilst running
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I missed my run on Thursday after I found out a close friend (age 41) had a stroke and emergency heart surgery. The doctors were not expecting him to make it through the surgery, so I was waiting for news.

I did get out yesterday morning and did my interval run: 5 min Z1, 5 min Z2, 10x (1 min Z5, 2 min Z1), 5 min Z1 - for a total of 3.27 miles. I went out last night for 2.11 very slow miles to somewhat make up for missing Thursday.

This morning, I went to RIPPED at the gym and then did my 45 min Z1 recovery run on the indoor track. My friend went around with me for about 20 minutes. I ended up with 2.22 miles.

Tomorrow's long run is 18 miles. I'm going to try to get up early (like 4:30ish) so I can get most of the run finished before it is too hot.

July miles to date: 18.06

Hi! Hope you're friend is doing better
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    Thanks @marisap2010 . You are doing great at sticking to Fitzgerald's plan. Are you liking it?

Welcome home from your vacation @Jane10s . I hope you had a great time with the family and figure out a plan to commit to soon. I have forgotten. What distance are you looking to train for?

Great running @tarun_yadavA ! Love the picture. So cool that is your view when running.

@rps67 Great job on getting out to run. Getting started is the hardest part and, you are right, tomorrow tends to never come. LOL Just take it slow and easy and you'll be surprised by how quickly you will get back to where you want to be. We all, at times, wish there was a magic running wand that would put us back to a previous level of fitness. But, alas, we have to put in the work. :wink:

Great run @cmcrae0217 ! That's a great pace, especially for just getting back into running. Of course, I'm as slow as a snail in molasses sometimes, so..... But you are doing great. I am one of the few people who don't mind the treadmill, especially when doing speed work. It's easier to keep up a certain pace when it's set and you don't have a choice. :lol:
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    August total: 37.2/105 miles

8/1: 5.1 miles
    8/3: 5 miles
    8/4: 4.1 miles
    8/5: 5 miles
    8/6: 10 miles
    8/7: 4 miles
    8/9: 4 miles

Pretty uneventful morning run today. I noticed it felt slightly better outside than normal so I checked the weather when I got back. 87% humidity compared to the usually 97%. That will do it! It’s ridiculous that it’s so humid that I say things like only 87% humidity! :D Come on winter…
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @rps67 Great job on getting out to run. Getting started is the hardest part and, you are right, tomorrow tends to never come. LOL Just take it slow and easy and you'll be surprised by how quickly you will get back to where you want to be. We all, at times, wish there was a magic running wand that would put us back to a previous level of fitness. But, alas, we have to put in the work. :wink:

So true. I'd like to have one of those magic running wands! At least this time I know what waits for me down the road. The first time I did C25K, I had absolutely no idea.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

@eleanorhawkins Saw your pictures from the hike on strava. Looked like a really pretty place! Sounds like Mr. eleanorhawkins needs an attitude adjustment. Maybe we can ship him and my teenage kid to an island together!! Also thanks for the reminder on the SiS gels. I wanted to try those out as I somehow missed them in my big gel trial last year and they seemed like a good option for marathon training long runs.

@martaindale Ha! Yeah, my 17 yo daughter can go with them lol.
    I have only tried maybe 3 different brands of gel but the SiS ones work really well for me. They're not too thick and you don't need to wash the normal ones down with water, and they also do some with electrolytes in which I love for long runs at this time of year. I take a belt and water bottles on my short runs so just throw an electrolyte tab in one of my bottles, but I drink a lot so need my bladder for anything over 7 miles or so, and I don't like putting the tabs in that as it leaves me with no plain water to alternate with. So yeah, the gels with electrolytes work great. I watch out for special offers and discounts as they're a little more expensive. So much for our cheap and simple sport!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Nice running @martaindale ! Glad it was "less" humid today.

@Mari33a I'm glad you are feeling better after a bout with CoVID and your first run went well.

@shanaber Last night's agility sounds brutal. Love Rachel's thoughts that you posted. Sometimes we do forget that the journey is more important, often, than the destination.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @Scott6255 and @marisap2010 . You both are doing great with your running. @marisap2010 I'm glad you like Fitzgerald's plan and hope you see the results you are hoping for in October.

Great running @kgirlhart and @tarun_yadavA !