What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    When people are surprised when they "gain" weight right after eating or drinking something. I mean... it's IN you now. Of course it shows on the scale.
    lol. I haven't heard that one... a pint of water weighs a pound so if you put the pound of water in your belly, you will weigh a pound more
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    "Starvation Mode." BLAAAH!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of energy out into a word to me. *shrug*

sure, but on the other hand you said you were curious about what made it a thing, so someone took the trouble to unpack it for you.

it's always slightly annoying to be bait-and-switched in that way, so just thought i'd mention this point. still catching up on this thread.

And I'm allowed to respond to the explanation as this is a public message board. Also it was explained before that huge TLDR happened. *shrug*
    No bait and switch here.
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't like the phrase "on a diet."
    I don't like hearing people talk about making drastic, unsustainable changes to lose weight.
    I don't like it when I eat chips or something and am told, "That's not healthy," by someone who knows I'm losing weight. While I know chips aren't healthy, I don't have them daily and eat plenty of protein, fruit, veggies and oatmeal. And healthy food has nothing to do with losing weight - it's about health. Everyone should be healthy, not just people who are trying to lose weight. Aggravates me to see people eat plates full of pasta lr fried chicken or waffles and grits daily and remain obese, talking about how they'll change some time soon, start juicing, cut out grains, etc, but talk about how some stuff I eat isn't healthy. But it's not a big deal, just a bit irritating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    None. It actually annoys me how wound up people get over particular phrases.

I agree. It's especially weird to me since it seems that most of the time, it's people who are taking an obvious idiom literally.

Like, "I could care less" means the person doesn't care. Everybody knows that but people still want to complain forever about how it literally means that you do care.

Actually the saying is I couldn't care less. Meaning I care so little it is impossible to care less than I do.

Both are versions of the saying. They mean the same thing. Language does not actually follow logical rules and get used with sarcasm or words get omitted all the time. Complaining that a particular usage is not strictly logical makes little sense, IMO.

Couple of pieces on that specific usage:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2014/03/18/why_i_could_care_less_is_not_as_irrational_or_ungrammatical_as_you_might.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2016/04/05/the_real_reason_people_say_i_could_care_less.html

Ok that's pushing it. I'm not sure it's because English isn't my first language or not, but for me it just shows that people don't know proper grammar, sorry (that being said, I know awesome people who suck at grammar, so it's not like I'll judge you for it).
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    Not a word/phrase, but I get very annoyed when someone asks for help or asks a question and then ignores every piece of sound advice or answer in favor of the 1 or 2 posts in a thread of 50 that just back up their pre-conceived ideas.

Or the OP never comes back at all and people keep on posting advice for who? or is that whom? ;)

Bump

HELP! I need you to hold me accountable. HELP! I need everything. NOW

Everyone writes their heartfelt responses and OP is gone. Long gone, never to return. OP never reads the responses. Just hit the forum at a glancing blow and they're off and running to the next rodeo.

• Hiawassee88
    Options
    when ppl lose a ton of weight and say they arent where they want to be..shutup and be proud of urself

rj5ycskubrlf.png
  • AmiW85
    AmiW85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say, you're just built that way, or you're just big boned/curvaceous.... nope actually I'm not! I used to be slim, I ate my way up here I wasn't born this way lol. It just feels like 1, a backhanded compliment of sorts and 2, like they're making excuses about my weight to make themselves feel better.
    And a personal peeve is when they tell me "but you have such a pretty face" 😅
  • Hiawassee88
    Options
    I'm eating only Clean Foods.

200.gif
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    "it's not a diet it's a change of lifestyle"

"Eat less and move more"
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    "I don't eat foods with ingredients I can't pronounce."

Then *someone* needs hooked on phonics!
  • Hiawassee88
    Options
    "Turn fat into muscle".

:laugh:

• Hiawassee88
    edited August 2022
    Options
    gjswhmwxob35.png
    'Cause I'm lifestyling it.
  • Hiawassee88
    Options
    How much more do you need to lose? You're just going to gain it all back, anyway.
  • Hiawassee88
    Options
    You're no fun anymore. Just treat yourself today and start all over again tomorrow.
  • Hiawassee88
    edited August 2022
    Options
    You're fine as you are. You don't need to lose any weight. Here's your cake that I made for you, so you don't get too skinny.
    r48g0b8e16vq.png
    15822 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    imanibelle wrote: »
    I don't like it when I eat chips or something and am told, "That's not healthy," by someone who knows I'm losing weight.

Got that look of concern recently while eating a bag of chips - like I've just relapsed on heroin. It's 750 calories. I know because I prelogged it. I also rode a bike for 6 hours earlier that day. I think I'll be fine. Relax.