wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Belated Happy Anniversary Machka

<3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,332 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    As most of you know, we moved here just coming up to four years ago at the end of October. In that time our house has gone up by at least $413 dollars. Yes, US dollars. We won't see any of that as we intend to stay here until we die, but our kids will be paying a wack from the estate. If we did have to sell, there is no Capital Gains in the U K on your main residence, only second homes. Also, when a marriage partner dies, there is no tax on the transfer of assets between them.
    We can remain here because our ground floor can be lived in, with the addition of a shower room in the utility room. I would like to get that done before we need it, but DH is dragging his feet. We have a toilet and washbasin already.

In the hot weather I was lowering the blinds every day to keep the heat out. One of the cords broke, and I have been keeping it in place with a piece of string!!! Then it started sagging and now the blind on the opposite side has come out in sympathy and broken a string. I know to replace all four or five blinds will cost thousands, which I don't have. They are 18 years old, I guess, because that is when the extension was built. I may look into cheaper solutions. We need them for low sunlight protection. I've never liked them, but when it's cruises or blinds ......... :p

I've written one sentence of my article.

We had a Waitrose delivery this morning so we now have dried apricots. So it's Lamb Tagine for dinner. <3 I went out for my run this morning and stopped at the deli for tinned chickpeas.

I have taken to sitting on a bench, contemplating the sea, these days, for a few minutes, during my run. I never used to do that, but I think, at nearly 73, I am entitled!!! :-)

Beth, Kim, huge respect for your patience and acts of love and service. :flowerforyou: We did a lot of clearing during our last move, but paper and photos are difficult when you are a memoir writer. I'm pretty good on 'things' and 'stuff'. Financial files are OK.
    I still haven't got DH to agree to make a POA. It worries me, so another conversation may be in our future.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    2z04gkpeofba.png

Welcome to the newcomers here! This thread moves fast. Don't feel like you have to answer everyone. Just jump in when you feel like it.

And there will be a new thread in September so be sure to join us again in the new thread. :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    3iuy8fazy7qc.png

Plant based foods week of 8/21/22 ... updated ...
    1. Broccoli
    2. Cauliflower
    3. Carrots
    4. Snowpeas
    5. Green beans
    6. Corn
    7. Black beans
    8. Wheat
    9. Pumpkin seeds
    10. Various other seeds
    11. Spices of various sorts (we've had Indian food twice this week)
    12. Olives
    13. Onion
    14. Almonds
    15. Cashews
    16. Mandarins
    17. Potatoes
    18. Sweet potato
    19. Pumpkin
    20. Coffee
    21. Tea of various sorts
    22. Rice!! How could I forget ... I eat rice almost every day!
    23. Tomato
    24. Cilantro
    25. Avocado
    26. Brown beans
    27. Berries ... in yogurt and jam
    28. Cocoa beans ... in chocolate

On our anniversary I had Malai Paneer: cottage cheese (paneer, actually) cooked in luscious cashew & almond curry paste ... and tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, fenugreek, cloves, cardamom etc. etc.

I usually have chickpeas a time or two as well, but I don't think I did this week. Unless they were in last night's soup.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,790 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im here with Miles,Tracy off to work,now wouldn't you think ,if your husband had the day off that he would watch his own son?
    Nope,he is sleeping in and I have to keep a 7 month old quite because the bedroom is right off the living room..
    Miles napping now so thats good.. but I have to take him down around 9:30 for mom to feed him.. and then she gets home around 12:10 ,then i have to go get Homer out and then home.. a friend is coming to look at some furniture i have,i just am at the point i want it out of my place.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I like the wellness wheels ... focusing on many aspects of life. And here in this thread, and the related ones, we talk about a range of aspects of wellness. :)

mbipm30tij75.png

ndmy0fh1tbw6.png

k3rgv3us8ntt.png

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I have never had a traffic violation. I own my car but daughter has taken it as her own despite my ownership. DH is recovering from a heart attack and we are both living in an assisted living apartment while he is here recovering.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I have never had a traffic violation. I own my car but daughter has taken it as her own despite my ownership. DH is recovering from a heart attack and we are both living in an assisted living apartment while he is here recovering.

Have you had a medical assessment?

Did your daughter explain why she has the car now?

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,679 Member
    Options
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • Machka9
    Options
    This morning, as I was running down our road, I took my watch off to move it to the other wrist, to avoid a tan line. I dropped it on the hard sidewalk. :o:# I had to shake it to get it going again, but I thought it was alright. It wasn't.
    Later this morning I noticed the hands were out of sinc. I've rung a watchmender and I'm going to walk over there this afternoon. Boo!
    I'm very much a watch person, always checking the time. Lost without it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

Sorry about your watch.

I stopped wearing a watch in October 1997. One day, I stopped and haven't worn a watch since. I would occasionally have a clip-on kind attached to my backpack or something like that, but I discovered there were enough ways to figure out the time without a watch that I didn't need one.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,336 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi y’all. Had a busy morning just doing chores etc. I will clear out another file folder after I have posted here.

Machka: Thanks for posting the Love List article. I will use it to draw together all our details. I already use the wellness wheels to regularly assess how I’m doing.

Most of our documents etc are in a fireproof safe in our wardrobe. Daughters both have assess to it. I will be checking and sorting through it in the next few weeks. POAs and wills are in place.

Heather:Our home is also future-proofed, with a downstairs room and shower room close by. Our upstairs used to be the province of our daughters, but we have gradually spread out up there. Hence the push to de-clutter, especially as they both have there own homes. It’s all too easy to just close the cupboards and forget what is in them.

We have booked the ferry to take younger grandson and our daughter over to deliver him to his Uni accommodation in late September. We will make a long weekend of it.

Marina has organised an August bank holiday barbecue this evening. Boat owners will receive a free barbecue box prepared by a local chef. Not sure what that will contain, but will take it as it comes.

🥳🎉 Cheers to all those celebrating. ‘Lang my your lum reek’ as the Scottish would say.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them. May you find a way through your trials to peace.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies. Set a spell with us.

☘️ Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    The watchmender was very strange, but I decided he was on the spectrum, and that didn't mean he couldn't mend watches, so I left it with him. DH says I can wear his tomorrow, when I have trains to catch etc. Normally, I carry my phone in my leggings pocket, but I will be wearing a dress tomorrow, so it will be in my bag. I'm a bit of a time freak.
    I also left my gold hoop earrings with him, that I wrote about in my book. He has a guy who does jewellery, but he is on holiday, so it will be a while. Purely sentimental value.
    I didn't leave my wedding ring that has lost a diamond chip. There is someone in the next suburb along who says he can do it. I will walk there one day.
    Bought engagement card, Edie card, general Brighton card. Then wandered into the Indian shop and picked up a turquoise bathroom mat for £12. When we first moved here, I bought a brown one from them for £10. It's still OK, but I'm gradually adding touches of colour.
    So, a good day. I just hope I get my watch back! :o

Good walking session too.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Oh, and before we went out, (DH walked there with me) we took down the old collapsing roman blinds. It was a bit of a puzzle to figure out, but we got there. I can't tell you how much better it looks! :D Now what to do with the window vents , that have always been closed anyway. Is there a big hole behind them? :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather — I am like you in that I need to keep track of time. My wrist watch is on my left wrist, day & night. I don’t usually wear it in the bath or shower.