Submit your health and fitness tips for the chance to be featured in our 2023 New Year’s plan!

Options

Replies

• PAR1251
    PAR1251 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Like many people, I find indoor cardio extremely boring but I've found that having one TV show that I only watch while on the treadmill to be very helpful. Try to choose a show with several seasons - I'm currently watching ER on Hulu and find I look forward to my daily catch-up.
  • umijan
    umijan Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    (1) I tried intermittent fasting and cut out breakfast for 6 months, but found I snacked too much between lunch (noon) and dinner (6:30). I probably wasn't satiated. MyFitnessPal daily nutrition chart was always soaring in fats and carbs, and I often ate way more than the allotted 1200 cals. Trying to eat 3 meals instead, more or less equally spaced out, between 11 am and 6:30 pm, has worked wonders in reducing the amount of snacking, particularly high carb, sugar and high-fat snacks, and restoring balance. (2) I have Osteoporosis and need to track my calcium intake. Upgrading to Premium is helping me view this under Nutrition Reports until I get a handle on eyeballing calcium consumption. I'll then revert to the free version since paying for Premium indefinitely is a bit steep for this retired senior's budget! Health is important so it's definitely worth it for a year though - and a nice break from annoying ads! Whichever version you use, staying organized and prepping in advance is KEY!
  • Steeperslounge
    Steeperslounge Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me personally, my healthy nutritional plan is a lifetime plan.
    I have lost many pounds in the past only to regain them as maintenance is just as important as the loss journey.
    I paid for a resting metabolic rate test.
    Years of yo-yo dieting, injuries, and failure to research led to my resting metabolic rate being 1160 calories for my body to function in a 24-hour resting period.
    Prior to the Basal Metabolic Rate test, as a very active person in cardio, I adjusted my calorie range to reflect my cardio. So I keep up a very fast pace and could not get past an eight-year plateau.
    What I learned from the test was that I needed to incorporate weight training to build my metabolic rate back up. I have now passed the plateau.
    I am working with a dietician at Loyola University to rebuild my metabolic rate.
    Learn about nutritional health, take the time to research for example if you're thinking of an all-vegan plan (wonderful) but, make sure that you supplement especially with vitamin B12 as our bodies do not produce the vitamin.
    If you're not gluten intolerant do not stay on a strict gluten-free plan. Switch it up from time to time. Food allergies are not fun so if you do not have any food allergies try to enjoy all food groups as it makes life more interesting and your body will love it nutritionally. I mention these things as I have done both and both times tanked which required doctors visits, B12 shots, etc.
    Now I eat all food groups except shellfish as I carry an EpiPen and have learned in the past that eliminating food groups can harm you more than help you lose weight.
    In 2010, I damaged both legs in an accident that required six surgeries to walk again! I am very grateful for my legs and used them to drop the 100 pounds I gained while in recovery. Slow and easy and still a work in progress.
    Staying motivated is a key to my plan- set goals- start small ( 10 minutes a day) and work your way up.
    Goals can be anything ( build a garden) it's great exercise and you reap the benefits of growing and canning. It took me years to build my garden but now I am grateful.
    Plan meals ahead of time. Make enough to freeze portions so that on those days when you're running behind or have a full schedule you have a backup plan, you already know what the calorie count is as well as the nutritional value. Try new recipes.
    Most important is to not allow others to sabotage your plan. It's ok to be selfish and to say "no" to people that do not understand your goals. You do not have to explain yourself around the water cooler at work. Just say thank you but no thanks to the treats brought in for parties etc.
    Food is not a social gathering!
    We as a society have made eating and socializing normal.
    Every day is another holiday - birthdays, retirements, baby showers plus normal holidays that we do dine with friends and family that make it difficult to sometimes lose the weight needed but we do not want to be the downer at the party so we need to plan our eating around these scheduled activities as that is life and life is to be enjoyed. Be smart about your food choices and portion control - enjoy a beer or glass of wine.
    Finally, drink water every day!

• DHussli
    DHussli Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this. I will be having my gallbladder out later this month. I need to lose 20 lbs. and follow a Low Fat meal plan. Any suggestions and help is going to be greatly appreciated.
  • CertifiedPersonalTrainer
    Options
    1. Have your weight loss goal be bigger than just a desire to lose weight. Really! A desire to lose weight is easily trumped by hunger pains. If the thought of achieving your goal moves you emotionally, you're on the right track. If not, keep working on this piece. It will play a major part in getting yourself to keep going once you go off track.

2. Adjust your expectation of your weight loss journey to know that you will not be able to stick to your plan 100% of the time (no one can). Everyday life will always have other plans. A great strategy (and easier to do) is to not have two bad days in a row.

3. Have the courage, discipline and motivation to weigh yourself daily and track your calories. The myfitnesspal app is a great tool for this. When you don't do this refer to #2.

4. Make a game out of the entire process where you give yourself daily thanks (gratitude) for being the winner of your created game. Give your game a name. The more playful the better.

5. Do not take the game (or yourself) too seriously! (Have fun!)
  • snpatt
    snpatt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like to think of the healthy decisions I make today; drinking water, taking a 20 minute walk, tracking meals, as a gift to my future self.
  • CoachMarciScott
    CoachMarciScott Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    My tips for my clients and myself are; food prep every week. This makes the decision of what to eat so much easier. I incorporate the use of a crockpot to make larger meals for the week. I usually eat the same thing weekly, only changing the type of fish with a rotation of fresh veggies that are organic and in season. On special occasions, I refer back to MFP for some succulent recipes that I can share with my clients.

I set my clothing out each night so that it's one less thing I have to think about in the morning. When b-fast is done, I get the kid ready for school and I throw on my pre-planned workout clothes. For my clients that work and then go to the gym, I have them set their clothes, shoes, and gym bag by the front door. That way they don't forget to take it with them to work. They won't have any excuses and are setting themselves up for success.

Consistency is vital when it comes to creating healthy habits for life. I remind my clients that they didn't gain weight overnight, so weight loss won't happen overnight. But with consistent changes that occur daily, weekly and monthly... the weight will come off through sustainable lifestyle changes.

In my 12-week program I created; Healthy Habits for Life, I teach my clients that being active is so much more than working out in the gym. I encourage daily walks for 30 mins or more. This involves the whole family, or if they have a dog, the family dog. Being active is roller skating with the kids, hiking with friends and fam, swimming in your pool or lake... So many activities to keep us moving and staying healthy. A body in motion stays in motion. A body at rest stays at rest.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    There is no magic pill or one tip that will change you. You need to put yourself first. Decide for yourself what road you want to be on. Then work to keep yourself on that road. The road has hills, curves, roadblocks, and speed bumps. You address those one at a time and keep moving on your road.
  • Bellawow
    Bellawow Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Increasing my fitbit steps bit by bit. First - I wear my fitbit on my ankle so it counts all steps. Second - I walk first thing in the morning before breakfast. That way it is done and I do not have to worry about it. I set small goals each day. Then increase it little by little when I feel able. Example, first day walk to 2 mail boxes. A week later I was able to walk to 3. Later in the week I made it to 3 1/2. Last, I do not compare myself to anyone else. I find joy in my improvements.
  • Bellawow
    Bellawow Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was getting discouraged by the fact that I was never able to complete my day until the next day. It actually made me not even want to log. A friend told me - Set the day so you have a plan, complete the day early, then make changes at the end of the day or even the next day as needed. This way I felt better, and I had a plan for the day. This also lets me be able to see if I am improving in my day on what I eat. Even if I blow it in part of the day, there is the log of "I blew it not even counting". How this helps is if I add that I know I need to work on that meal/snack time.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,902 Member
    Options
    Logging the food diary different than a calendar day.
    ... so 5pm to 5pm each day. That way I log the dinner and then can know what I have left for breakfast and lunch the next day. I am just a week in to this plan, so we will see how it works out. So far so good.

What an EXCELLENT idea! Totally going to do this

• Woodruffd825
    Woodruffd825 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my Name is Debbie and I'm new to this I'm 61 and need to lose about 60 pounds I Really like how you can find your food and add it up I whach people's animals and I absolutely love it it helps with exercising would like to meet people on here and get different ideas have a great day 😀
  • Lucie3777
    Lucie3777 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am on my weight loss journey again! We can do this people!! Losing weight can improve your health and make you feel more alive and energized and revitalized. The best part is I'm in control, I get to choose what I eat and what I do with my time. The best part is I can put myself first and feel I have the power with no regrets.

I can control what I put in my body because it's my body at the end of the day no one is going to force me to eat anything. I can sleep sufficiently, I can rest when I'm tired and I can move my body to gain my life back. Little by little I take charge and am becoming the person that feels empowered to help and be a role model to those around me. And I'm not putting it off any more because the person that I am today is the person that got made through my pains and goals and gains that I accomplished little bit little, not all at once. Small steps people, we can do this!!
  • mrangelovofficial
    Options
    Hello,
    I have a suggestion to add a Note to the weight recording. In a note, I will be able to write things myself, because of which I may have an increase or decrease in weight, so that after a while, when I review the statistics for kg, I will know what happened on that day.
  • Rockit_29
    Rockit_29 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weight, leave a few bites on your plate, drink the wine, eat the dessert.

Do what you like…when you feel like it. Slow down. Listen to your body. Enjoy the journey!
  • Bobert2589
    Bobert2589 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mine was a life style change... Now it is new habits. The way I eat, What I eat how often I workout, or how active I am in a day to day life... Just turned 50 last we and am in the best health of my life... Diabetic, but 100% Controlled thru diet and exercise and have dropped 70 lbs. and am now enjoying life and what it has to offer. I am now working on my personal training cert and Dietitian cert. Now I just want to help people do what I have done. Everyone can do it. How bad do you want it... What do you want it for? To spend more time with the family? I now do things with my kids, Sports, Hiking, Cross fit, whatever makes them happy to do with me. Diet is 80% of your success, Exercise is 20%. Good Luck to all of you...