September 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,052 Member
    @polskagirl01 I love tree lined paths like that one in your picture! Idk why but they feel different. Beautiful!

@quilteryoyo Congrats on the grandbaby!

@scott6255 Sorry to hear your ankle is bothering you. Do you know what caused it or just random pains? Hope it doesn’t become a recurring issue.

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @martaindale your lights sound cool! I am also having to pull my headlamp out again in the mornings, and have similar issues with it. I learned to wear a buff/headband underneath it but the bounce still annoys me, and on long runs there comes a time when anything on my head starts to irritate me, but if I take it off then I have to put it somewhere and theres never space for it in my pockets/pack so it ends up on my arm, but then that gets annoying too. I vaguely remember one of the reasons I chose the one I did was it could be attached to a harness/chest strap thing. Maybe I'll look into that. Probably won't solve the bounce though.
    Tomorrow is meant to be my 29km (18ish miles) which at my current pace and on the route I've planned is likely to take me way over 4 hours. Yikes. Of course, I had a massage yesterday and the IT band I told the evil physio wasn't bothering me any more is sore today. Typical!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @martaindale I like that spot, too. I might even have pictures from all of the seasons. That particular area is between a prison and the shady high-security animal shelter that told me they "don't need volunteers" 😆. So it feels different in other ways. But the road between them is cool.

@eleanorhawkins and others RE: lights - I've also taken the straps off of a headlamp and attached it right to the strap on the front of my pack. That worked pretty well. If I remember, I'll take a picture tomorrow because it's kind of hard to explain.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,387 Member
    I saw this today and my 1st thought was I want this... until I saw the price!😳
    https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/gear/meet-apple-watch-ultra-the-new-watch-for-endurance-athletes/
  • martaindale
    shanaber wrote: »
    I saw this today and my 1st thought was I want this... until I saw the price!😳
    https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/gear/meet-apple-watch-ultra-the-new-watch-for-endurance-athletes/

Wowza! That is some price tag for a watch that will still have to be charged every couple of days. I don't dwell in the apple universe but I'm guessing this is a significant improvement over a regular apple watch. I have heard complaints about an apple watch having trouble tracking an entire marathon so 18 hrs of GPS is a step up. I guess if you have the $$ and you are heavily invested in keeping products consistent, it's an option for having your fitness tracker be the same brand. It's certainly tougher than your run of the mill apple watch. But, I'll stick with my garmin, which looks downright affordable by comparison!!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,704 Member
    I ran 5 miles this morning at a pace that was about 20 seconds faster per mile than when I ran the same route on Tuesday. It was another beautiful morning with the temperature at 52F.

@shanaber – Thank you so much for the heads-up on the Xero Shoes! One of my hiking friends has a pair of the sandals for wearing around camp and I’ve been so envious because they are so light weight. Great sale price so I ordered me a pair.

@polskagirl01 – I would love to run on that tree lined lane. Beautiful!

@kgirlhart – Funny skunk/cat story. We say an albino skunk on our run this morning! We gave it a wide berth. Nice shoes!

I don’t like to run with a headlamp either @martaindale. I have a rechargeable light that I can attach to my waist pack or reflective vest. What brand did you get? I use the Amphipod Versa-Light Max USB Safety Light.

Good luck with your long run tomorrow @eleanorhawkins.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,430 Member
    I did 5 miles on the treadmill last night. Ankle/foot didn't hurt, but I knew it was there. I think it must have been a pinched nerve or something like that. Although I do feel pain and stiffness on the bottom of both feet, so it could be the start of PF. Or arthritis, who knows.

exercise.png
  • martaindale
    Sept total: 52.6/123 miles

9/1: 4 miles
    9/2: 5 miles
    9/4: 4.2 miles
    9/5: 5 miles
    9/6: 5.2 miles
    9/7: 3.2 miles
    9/8: 3 miles
    9/9: 5.2 miles
    9/12: 5 miles
    9/14: 4.8 miles
    9/15: 5 miles
    9/16: 3 miles

Well, cooler weather is gone. Back to the sports bra. Overall, totally uneventful run.
    I am going out to dinner with my family for my father-in-law's birthday tonight. Between myself, my husband, my kid, and the in-laws we have 5 birthdays in as many weeks and this is the last one. So many birthday dinners!
  • martaindale
    @AlphaHowls I am so sorry your September has already been so rough. And we're only halfway through. Here's to a better second half.

@tarun_yadavA That line is insane! I saw the video you posted on strava.

@Scott6255 It's good that maybe the ankle is on the mend. Hoping this isn't a recurring issue for you as you move into marathon training!

@Teresa502 IDK what the brand is. Cheap and from amazon. But, they do the trick. Used it again this morning.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,084 Member
    @AlphaHowls I am so sorry your September has already been so rough. And we're only halfway through. Here's to a better second half.

@tarun_yadavA That line is insane! I saw the video you posted on strava.

@Scott6255 It's good that maybe the ankle is on the mend. Hoping this isn't a recurring issue for you as you move into marathon training!

@Teresa502 IDK what the brand is. Cheap and from amazon. But, they do the trick. Used it again this morning.

@martaindale thank you! Hope you enjoy the birthday dinner! 😊
  • shanaber
    @Teresa502 - so happy you were able to get something you had wanted at such a great price! I went back today thinking I would get a new pair of trail shoes too, mostly for agility class, but my size was sold out.
    @AlphaHowls - so much to go wrong at once! I think that is the limit for the rest of the year ok? Also I hope none of those cars that were hit was yours and that everyone was ok. How do you manage to still run with a gout flair up? Most people can't even walk let alone run, but then we know you aren't 'most people'
    @tarun_yadavA - I saw some coverage of the crowds waiting to get in to see the Queen-in-state that showed them filling the streets and winding around like a big column of ants. At the time it was around 2am in London!
    @martaindale - happy birthday to everyone. It is weird how some families have birthday clumps. We have a similar bunch in March.
    @eleanorhawkins - awesome run for that 29k and glad you finally got that donut (well kind of along the same lines as a donut)! I hope your evil coach is ok and not too seriously injured.
    @polskagirl01 - love the signs!
    @Mari33a - good to see you back here. Hope things settle down some for you!

Went out for a run this morning and it was a lovely 68F with 80% humidity and a cool breeze blowing. I didn't want to set any expectations since I have been having so much unanticipated stomach issues, so I walked mostly to the trail then set off to run. I was going to do my 60/30 intervals and decided to just see what I could run and be happy with whatever that ended up being. I went further and ran more than planned and it felt great! Even as it warmed up on the way home I kept catching the breeze and it just felt wonderful!
    wg10jbsmz1jt.png

Also Run The World team we are running through the Dallas area so we need to wave to @SummerSkier and @kgirlhart. Maybe they can point out some highlights of what we are running by.
  • shanaber
    Question for the month...
    What exercises or stretches do you do specifically to help your running?
    Do you do them because of a previous injury or to maybe prevent an injury?

I do a series of 4-5 PT exercises with bands as recommended by the therapist after I tore my hamstring. I was thinking about Scott's ankle and have been reading about the importance of keeping our ankles flexible as we get older so I might need to add in some exercises for that. Does anyone do anything there?