What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Today's workout was atypical. Today was employee sports day. My colleagues and I chose a 15km walk from the list of options. It turned out to be over 16km, and because of a super impatient (and obnoxious) colleague harassing our guides to go faster, it was more of a speedwalk than a relaxing walk.

Combined with walking to and from the train station, and to and from the starting point for the walk, I racked up nearly 37000 steps today!
    I had intended to do some strength training this evening, but I was exhausted, so I took a bath instead.

Pics of the walk:
    8cupwpd61h6y.jpg
    o2az1cn4z0ws.jpg
    0cdk5gzo3n9w.jpg
    kdor87ptwh03.jpg

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @Lietchi -- that looks beautiful. Sorry your coworker took a bit of the fun out of it!

Was going to do my other monthly rowing challenge today and aborted around halfway through. HRM was showing (I'm pretty sure wildly inaccurately) that my HR wasn't coming down after the 3rd rep. When it doesn't come down fast enough, I stop and play it safe. I waited 3 minutes and started another one and it said that my HR shot up to 225 (my max is around 190). There's no way. On these workouts (I do a lot of this type of workout -- it was an 8 x 2 minute/2 minute recovery), I don't normally hit 90% of max (around 170 or so) until the last rep or so, so I knew that the HRM was seriously wonky. Just to be extra safe, I stopped and took a manual pulse. It was elevated, but nothing like the HRM was saying. Just more of an aggravation now because I have to do this row all over again either next Monday or Thursday. I was hitting 1:55/1:54 pace pretty OK. I'm sure it would have drifted up on the last four, but I'm pretty sure I can go sub 2:00 pace quite easily.

Lifting at the gym this evening.
  • goldenxbeauty
    goldenxbeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Spent most of the day salmon fishing in the river.(limited out and will be making jerky) and finished up stacking a cord and a bit of firewood for the winter.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    It was bike day, and I meant to do about 20 miles, easy pace.

Here's the thing: at around mile 14 or so, I met by happenstance a friend I haven't seen in a long time (my former massage therapist, nice guy (no, not like that)). So, we rode together for a while, and it was fun to catch up conversationally, so I rode further than I'd planned. In addition, I needed to make it home in time to go supervise open rowing, and chatting burned up extra time, so I had to book it on the way home. 26.27 miles, still only 10.7mph moving average because the solo early part and the chat part were slow.

@Lietchi: At least it was beautiful? I'm sorry it was rushed.
    nossmf wrote: »
    (snip)

Only a crowd like this will appreciate the insidious evil of WANTING to exercise, but not being ABLE to do so.

Yes, that s*cks. I'm sorry to hear you're going on the injured reserve list @nossmf - I hope you'll be able to be back at it soon.

I kind of admire people like your wife, though - who can exercise because it's good for them, even when they don't enjoy/need it. I don't have that strength of character, so it's a miracle I've found something(s) I enjoy enough to be addictive, and have done it long enough that I feel crummy - kind of as you're anticipating - during breaks.

@MikePfirrman: Dang technology. You were holding a good pace there, too!
    Spent most of the day salmon fishing in the river.(limited out and will be making jerky) and finished up stacking a cord and a bit of firewood for the winter.

@goldenxbeauty, that's a workout! I've never salmon fished, but firewood . . . yeah. Functional fitness at its best!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Monday Climbing. Meh. I started well, but faded after about an hour. I was regaining some momentum when I needed to leave the gym. It was a short session, 90 minutes.

Tuesday Lifting. I only had time for bench, 5 sets of 5, 50 kgs.

Wednesday Climbing. This was a good session. 2 hours, and I got loads of new routes with some silly dynos and terrifying slab thrown included.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just saying hi.

The air quality has been terrible around here (big wildfire nearby). It's been bad enough to effect our home indoor air quality. This really has messed me up for trying to workout lately. I cut my last elliptical session short because I was lightheaded, fatigued, and head achy. The smoke is no joke!

Anyway, just checking in to try to stay accountable. Keep going everyone! You're doing great!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Row day again, 2 seat of the quad, because I bullied someone else into rowing bow.

Stroke didn't want to do power pieces, but she took off at a stroke rating (strokes per minute) a couple of beats higher than we usually do for recreational rowing 😆, and the splits were noticeably faster than average throughout - partly because of the higher spm, partly because of the specific lineup we had rowing today. Just for fun, we did a couple of race starts, even though stroke rower had never sat stroke for a start (she did fine) - one of the other folks, new this year, had never done a race start before at all.

Also, it was 9700-some meters instead of the more common 7k-ish, because the ski team was out practicing in the slalom course, so we did the double loop on the longer stretch upstream of the boathouse again.

Overall, it felt like a solid workout. It'll have to do, regardless. 😆
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Just another easy hour of cardio today. 30 minutes on LateralX and 30 on the Assault Bike.

Lifted a bit heavy last night at the gym (for me) and still feeling tired in the legs especially. Ended up doing 10 minutes of pretty rapid Stairmaster since my rowing was aborted yesterday. Did 32 floors in 10 minutes. I skip steps and do, basically, lunges on the machine for 10 minutes. That was after the lift, so thus, the sore legs.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,190 Member
    Options
    dralicephd wrote: »
    Just saying hi.

The air quality has been terrible around here (big wildfire nearby). It's been bad enough to effect our home indoor air quality. This really has messed me up for trying to workout lately. I cut my last elliptical session short because I was lightheaded, fatigued, and head achy. The smoke is no joke!

Anyway, just checking in to try to stay accountable. Keep going everyone! You're doing great!

Oh yuck.

We get that too. This year was better than last year, and last year was WAY better than two years ago. I bought a HEPA filter, and it helps. Makes it awful to be outdoors though. I paddled on Saturday and the smoke made me ill.
  • TicTacToo
    TicTacToo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Workout suggestions, please... I ripped my medial ligament yesterday and am now in a leg brace for the next couple of weeks. I'm getting a scan next week to see what other treatment is needed.

Given that all swimming, rowing and C25K efforts are temporarily on hold, what workouts could I try besides pushing the buttons on my TV remote?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Not a clue what/where a medial ligament is. But have you googled chair workouts/seated workouts?
  • TicTacToo
    TicTacToo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Not a clue what/where a medial ligament is. But have you googled chair workouts/seated workouts?

MCL... I hadn't heard of it until yesterday when it stopped holding my knee joint together.

I'll google those workouts, thanks.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    A very low intensity 7k in bow of the double, on a lovely morning. My main/favored double partner has been out of commission with a ribcage problem for a couple of weeks or so, and today was her first day back, easing back into it. The group didn't let her carry boats, then we kept it steady and easy on the water, just enjoying the river.

For reasons I don't understand, the quad that was out with us didn't catch up, even though they were doing race starts and power pieces. I have no idea why, because we weren't fast (per Garmin) and they should've been reasonably fast (good lineup) - long breaks, maybe? 😆
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Spending a long weekend in St Lawrence County, NY, with my son, who is a waterfowl hunting guide. He drove east from Nebraska to help a friend during the September goose hunting season, so I drove up to spend time with him. In addition to guiding hunting clients, I managed to get out for a leisurely 40ish mile bike ride from Potsdam to Waddington and return. Waddington NY is on the St Lawrence River and this is dairy farm country. Roads were great, but with horse and buggy traffic, I had to watch out for droppings!😆 I had hoped to cycle one loop of the Lake Placid IM course on my way home tomorrow, but the forecast isn’t great.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    190 minutes elliptical for 11.19 miles today. Still haven't got a new elliptical yet. Screeched most of the time today. I think it is the braking system hence the lower mileage than my usual. Found a place about 30-40 minutes away from me that buys & re-furbishes gym quality equipment. Open M-Sat so hoping to get there Fri or Sat this week to see what they have available.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Just an easy hour today of cardio -- 30 on the treadmill (walking @ 15 percent incline) and then LateralX.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Paddling two days. Yeah. I know. Pretty boring. I enjoyed myself anyway.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Paddling two days. Yeah. I know. Pretty boring. I enjoyed myself anyway.

Too tired to write any details yesterday. This was the last multi-day event sponsored by a non-profit organization I support as a volunteer and donor. It was a relatively short paddle - about 28 miles in two days. Catered meals and a gear shuttle, so very nice.

I got to paddle in the back of about 70 people to make sure nobody got left behind and as a safety "backstop" sweep boater.

Several of us stayed up and laughed through the evening. We went to bed when the rain started. It had been quite a while since I heard rain on the top of a tent. It was lovely!

Other than a little rain, the weather was great. The people were too!
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Lifted this AM, then planned a 4 X 2K rowing interval set with 2 minutes recovery. Got through two of them (2:06 pace, then 2:10 pace) and just didn't have anything left. Finished up with a 500m row and then a 10 minute C/D on the LateralX inside.

It wasn't that hot for Tucson (around 91 today at lunch) and I had the cooler on me. More than likely just too aggressive on the recovery -- should have done 3 minute recoveries, not 2 -- and the fact I haven't been rowing as much with the trigger finger.

This is the hardest interval set I do and to attempt it after a hard lift is a lot. It feels a lot easier when the weather cools down and I'm rowing more consistently. IDK, if I can't get through a really hard interval set, I don't beat myself up too much anymore. I used to but why? I'm planning workouts that most at my age would never attempt, so if I just get through them, it's a nice bonus.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Actually had a little better sleep than usual last night (only 2 wakeups in my roughly 6 hours!), so volunteered to row bow in the quad this morning. Since I seem to have less gephyrophobia (😉) than our other frequent bow rowers, we got pretty close to 7k, rather than a couple of hundred or so under as when they bow. (I run us closer to the bridges before skidding the boat into the turn, plus make more squared-off crossings at the turnaround points = extra meters.)

We're still taking it a bit carefully with our returned-to-rowing buddy who's getting over the rib issue, but we got reasonable speed with her in stroke seat, and did a couple of power 10s to see how they'd go. (They went OK from an injury-recovery perspective. The first one was a little technically . . . untidy? 😆)

My recent times in the engine room (seats 2/3) have I think gotten some better power practices in my muscle memory, especially wrt suspension, so I think I'm contributing a bit better to boat speed even in bow, as a consequence. I hope, anyway.