September 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,080 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    Question for the month...
    What exercises or stretches do you do specifically to help your running?
    Do you do them because of a previous injury or to maybe prevent an injury?

I do a series of 4-5 PT exercises with bands as recommended by the therapist after I tore my hamstring. I was thinking about Scott's ankle and have been reading about the importance of keeping our ankles flexible as we get older so I might need to add in some exercises for that. Does anyone do anything there?

@shanaber good question. I do the standard stretches before and after. Having a niggle in my right glute-hammy area. So, one I've taken to a lot recently, is bridging - lying on the floor and lifting pelvis up whilst raising each leg, stretched, one at a time. I think it's helping. And I'm trying not to run at pace anymore. But I feel it when Im trying to accelerate, so I try to keep the same pace throughout now. There's the odd "in a bad mood"/"p!ssed off" run I might forget it and just run and then I look and it's 8:30"-8:45".
  • tarun_yadavA
    Morning all. Hope everybody has a lovely weekend.
    (Three day weekend here [which I have mixed feelings about! ]) Today's 4.5
    8nbv6qw9mtbv.png
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    ETA not running related, but I'm upping my parenting game here:

Those are the kids' guinea pigs. It's now been pointed out that 2 piggies have been left out. Guess I'll have to make more signs 😆

These are fantastic!! I need the one about not hogging the shampoo because I don't know how my kids manage to go through a whole bottle of shampoo in like a week. You don't have THAT much hair, child.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Just checking in with no new miles to report because my stupid Achilles is acting up. The first time I got into running years ago, I had the same issue. This time it's only on one foot rather than both, so I guess that's good. I did a short run of 2ish miles on Wednesday and when I run, it doesn't hurt, but then in the following days, my Achilles will be swollen and a little tender. We're going to King's Dominion again today, so I anticipate a lot of walking and I'm going to put KT tape on. It helped a lot the last time, but I'm just so annoyed that my body can't behave.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,382 Member
    @marisap2010 - love that shirt!
    @rps67 - I hope your achilles feels better soon!
    @katharmonic - I can relate on the tendon tear having just come off all the PT and the potential for surgery. My shoulder still hurts, especially if I don't keep up with the exercises and stretches. I am trying not to baby it because I don't want to lose any range of motion. I hope PT takes care of it for you!
    @Scott6255 - Hey you got it done even though it was hard! With that dew point I think I would have just turned around and gone home to run it another day.
    @polskagirl01 - congratulations! Sounds like a fun and rewarding day! So funny about you being the honorary American runner 😊

Thanks all for the info on stretches and exercises. Some I already do but there are lots more to consider and possibly add to my rotation.

I took Hobbes out this morning for what I thought would be a short sleasy run. My body was feeling that deep down muscle tiredness but I really wanted to get something in. Hobbes was actually excited to go and wanted to run and run so it was fun. It was cloudy for most of the run with a cool breeze again. I did have an issue in the middle of the run with pain in my chest (breast bone area) that made me sit down for a few minutes. I think it was likely heartburn 🤷🏻‍♀️ I have not had it before so I really don't know. I did get a drink of water at the fountain shortly after and that helped and I was able to finish my run and it hasn't returned. The pelicans were back today and I got a couple of better pictures of them.
    ii5jad2tl4x4.jpeg
    I love this one with the pelican standing out on the rock
    z44fstc3o9yx.jpeg
  • tarun_yadavA
    My allergies have decided to ramp into high gear yesterday and today, despite my daily Claritin. I felt awful last night and took Theraflu before bed. 5am rolled around, and I got up to run, but my head throbbed, and I was nauseous from the sinus meds. Of course, there is a high pollen alert this morning. I ended up doing a run and walk combo to get in 6 of the 18 miles. I’m going to try to get in another 6 tomorrow instead of the Z1 recovery planned following the 18 I was supposed to do. There is just no way I can keep going today with how bad I feel.

@marisap2010 Urgh. Sounds the worst. The loss of sleep is a killer for me... Hope you get better soon!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,425 Member
    @marisap2010 so sorry your allergies were acting up. Hope they clear up soon.
    @polskagirl01 glad you got to run with your daughter.
    @yirara that sucks about the dog attack! My HR would have been out of control too!

Did a 5 mile treadmill recovery run this afternoon. Felt pretty good.

exercise.png