Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Hey all, been away from MFP as I have been on self destruct for months. Anyhow, paid for the new premium service so maybe that will help me get my act back together.

Did a quick skim over the past month+ of comments.

As for new omicron being more like the flu, when I ended up getting it (first time) in June, i had the unrelenting soar throat, but also body aches. first part sounds like the old omicron, the aches sound like the new. any further insights?

Got the Bivalent Pfiser Sept 20. Felt like crap the next day. More strikingly, I believe it set off stomach pain/gerd for a week+. Was very odd. Hubby also felt lousy, as well as DD.

Got my Flu shot yesterday. Last night, went online to schedule my second shingles and I noticed that vaccination schedules are now swamped. Very different from what I saw when I scheduled my Bivalent and my Flu shots. So people are now actively booking some sort of shots. The only reason I could easily book an appointment is we moved and now live next to a town, in which the residents are not getting vaccinated, and I can practically get same day appointments.

on another note, zero reaction to the flu shot, but have heard rumors about 2nd shingrex. Kind of dreading it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I'm having a Covid disagreement with my husband.

We have a milestone wedding anniversary next year, and I want to plan a trip overseas. He thinks it is too risky to plan a trip this far in advance, because he's worried about new variants that evade vaccines. He keeps sending me articles about the next variant that is said to be emerging in Europe this fall.

I contend that we are not taking much of a greater risk going on a trip than we would be staying at home. The 7-hour plane trip would be our greatest exposure. Other than that, we would be renting a car, staying in AirBnBs, and doing a lot of outdoor activities, like hiking. I'm not talking about a cruise or staying at a crowded resort or anything like that.

In our everyday lives, we both work jobs where we encounter a lot of people, we go to family parties, we go to restaurants, we go to theatres. What in the world is the difference if we drive around a European country for 10 days?

Covid will never go away. There will always be new variants, there will always be cases. Are we never going to go anywhere ever again?

Sorry for the rant.

I'll think that you'll find that COVID tends to "calm down" over the summer months. I live in Italy, and our numbers are less then. Plan a late Spring or Summer trip. Yes, we need to learn to live with this. Congratulations.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    It was going to be mid-May. It should not be bad then, but I can’t convince him of that. He’s a worst-case-scenario kind of guy.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member

We have a milestone wedding anniversary next year, and I want to plan a trip overseas. He thinks it is too risky to plan a trip this far in advance, because he's worried about new variants that evade vaccines. He keeps sending me articles about the next variant that is said to be emerging in Europe this fall.

I contend that we are not taking much of a greater risk going on a trip than we would be staying at home. The 7-hour plane trip would be our greatest exposure. Other than that, we would be renting a car, staying in AirBnBs, and doing a lot of outdoor activities, like hiking. I'm not talking about a cruise or staying at a crowded resort or anything like that.

In our everyday lives, we both work jobs where we encounter a lot of people, we go to family parties, we go to restaurants, we go to theatres. What in the world is the difference if we drive around a European country for 10 days?

Covid will never go away. There will always be new variants, there will always be cases. Are we never going to go anywhere ever again?

Sorry for the rant.

I think living as close to normal as possible for our mental health, which is important too! Hubby and I have booked a tour of Scotland for fall 2023 for our 40th. We are just making sure of the insurance we have for international travel.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    The previous boosters were only effective for a month or two. Does anyone know how long the protection lasts from the bi-valent shot?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    edited October 2022

Sorry for the rant.

To me, the issue isn't that your chances of getting covid are greater from the vacation than from your everyday life. To me, the issue is that the consequences of getting covid are greater during a vacation. Will the place you're traveling to require retesting after you land, and quarantining while you wait for results? Tough to know this far ahead.

I'd be worried about spending money to travel overseas, testing positive (whether due to mandatory testing or becoming symptomatic), spending most of your vacation quarantining, possibly having to push back your return date, spend extra money on a hotel that you hadn't even planned because you have to spend extra time in quarantine beyond your original travel plans, missing work (if you can't work remotely from overseas but could if your were home quarantining).

I actually turned down an invitation for free lodging this summer with relatives in a country I would have liked to visit because I didn't want to risk getting stuck overseas longer than I planned -- plus not crazy about the idea of spending money on air fare just to end up quarantining.

But it's tough to see multiple years go by and feel like you can't travel. Maybe see if your husband would be willing to revisit the issue a little closer to the travel time? You could still do research and make plans short of booking. Maybe if you involve him in the planning for a potential trip, the two of you could figure out which things bother him most and any options that might ease his anxiety.

Edited to delete a snippet of a post I started writing weeks ago and decided to discard, which apparently isn't a thing you can do anymore. Thanks, MFP.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Flight cancelations can work both ways, us unable to get over to you. I've not heard of any supply issues in our rental, car hire fleets. (I'm sure everyone knows more than I, they always assume they do). I know one hour has become a very long time in our UK news stream these days but please do not write us off just yet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited October 2022
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Flight cancelations can work both ways, us unable to get over to you. I've not heard of any supply issues in our rental, car hire fleets. (I'm sure everyone knows more than I, they always assume they do). I know one hour has become a very long time in our UK news stream these days but please do not write us off just yet.

The UK isn't in Europe anymore so she wasn't talking about you ;)

(Yes, I know there is a difference between the EU and Europe :smiley: )
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

Sorry for the rant.

To me, the issue isn't that your chances of getting covid are greater from the vacation than from your everyday life. To me, the issue is that the consequences of getting covid are greater during a vacation. Will the place you're traveling to require retesting after you land, and quarantining while you wait for results? Tough to know this far ahead.

I'd be worried about spending money to travel overseas, testing positive (whether due to mandatory testing or becoming symptomatic), spending most of your vacation quarantining, possibly having to push back your return date, spend extra money on a hotel that you hadn't even planned because you have to spend extra time in quarantine beyond your original travel plans, missing work (if you can't work remotely from overseas but could if your were home quarantining).

I actually turned down an invitation for free lodging this summer with relatives in a country I would have liked to visit because I didn't want to risk getting stuck overseas longer than I planned -- plus not crazy about the idea of spending money on air fare just to end up quarantining.

But it's tough to see multiple years go by and feel like you can't travel. Maybe see if your husband would be willing to revisit the issue a little closer to the travel time? You could still do research and make plans short of booking. Maybe if you involve him in the planning for a potential trip, the two of you could figure out which things bother him most and any options that might ease his anxiety.

Well said.

That said, I am a horribilizer. My partner is a minimizer.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Our of curiosity, what are the current isolation requirements in everyone's part of the world at the moment? Here in Victoria, Australia (and I think the rest of the country but I won't swear up to it), they've done away with mandatory isolation and the only restrictions on what you can do if positive is not visit aged and disability care facilities and hospitals, unless seeking immediate medical care. Lot's of workplaces are still requiring you not come in if covid positive, or showing symptoms, however.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    My question is...does anyone foresee international travel being any less of a risk in the coming years? Of course, we don't know for sure, but based on how the virus has behaved, this is not going away anytime soon. I personally think it will always be around in some form.

Are we always going to say, "Well, what if...?" At what point will it be an acceptable risk...like the risk that the weather will be bad, or your flight will be cancelled, or your car breaks down, or you get hurt, or you get sick with any illness?

Traveling is full of risks; it always has been. Travel insurance is a must on an expensive trip. I just, personally, am sick of staying close to home. I can only do so many Wisconsin road trips. I've eaten too much cheese and bratwurst.

Honestly, I don't think I have any better or worse chance of getting it close to home versus overseas - my concerns with overseas travel is more the practicalities, like what if I get it and get too sick to be travelling, spend whole holiday in hospital, somehow don't have coverage (as careful as I am about insurance), get stuck overseas due to policies or some change in restrictions. I've travelled and gotten ill before but none of the illnesses I have caught travelling have ever been the subject of such worldwide restrictions and, dare I say it, panic as this one and that's what makes me nervous. But given that where I live has zero restrictions and has recently had one of the highest infection rates in the world (after some of the lowest, and some of the most full on lockdowns), while I'm not currently planning any overseas trips due to other considerations, when I do, I'm probably not going to worry about the Covid risk as long as my insurance will respond.