Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    I keep a large stockpot of water on the wood stove to add moisture. Otherwise I start getting nosebleeds from the dry air.

I get nosebleeds too, even here in west TN where the coldest it has every gotten since I moved here was 20F. Even yet, I've had several nosebleeds in the past 2 weeks especially and struggle to keep my humidifier filled with water so I can keep it on full blast.

Winter nosebleeds are also a thing of the past for me since I got control of the thermostat and cranked it down. I have it at 58 degrees F at night and 61-65 during the day.

I had it even colder at my last place, where I lived alone and had electric heat, and layered me up during the day and my bed at night. I love burrowing into heavy piles of quilts on a cold winter night! There I also used an electric blanket. Here, I just need a sheet, weighted blanket, and one quilt. (Weighted blankets are really warm.)

I realize there are a lot of people here with Raynaud's or who just really dislike the cold for which these cold temperatures would not work, but for others plagued by winter dry skin or nosebleeds, do consider turning down the temperature.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I keep a large stockpot of water on the wood stove to add moisture. Otherwise I start getting nosebleeds from the dry air.

I get nosebleeds too, even here in west TN where the coldest it has every gotten since I moved here was 20F. Even yet, I've had several nosebleeds in the past 2 weeks especially and struggle to keep my humidifier filled with water so I can keep it on full blast.

Winter nosebleeds are also a thing of the past for me since I got control of the thermostat and cranked it down. I have it at 58 degrees F at night and 61-65 during the day.

I had it even colder at my last place, where I lived alone and had electric heat, and layered me up during the day and my bed at night. I love burrowing into heavy piles of quilts on a cold winter night! There I also used an electric blanket. Here, I just need a sheet, weighted blanket, and one quilt. (Weighted blankets are really warm.)

I realize there are a lot of people here with Raynaud's or who just really dislike the cold for which these cold temperatures would not work, but for others plagued by winter dry skin or nosebleeds, do consider turning down the temperature.
    We have electric baseboard heat and I ordered a surprise heated mattress cover for my husband! Each room is controlled individually so we leave the bedroom off until just before bed, but the sheets are still frigid cold. Now, to find a heated toilet seat for him :D
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I start thinking it's too warm at 63. I have noticed the dry skin isn't as bad this winter though; I just didn't realize it was due to the temp.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    The state of TN completely changed their vaccine rollout plan. Among other things, they eliminated a category for multiple comorbidities and now I am in ohase 1c instead of phase 2. Also, there is a new phase 1c and phase 2 has been split into phases 2a and 2b. So I'm still in the 4th group.

They have added age-based rollout simultaneously with the rest of the vaccination categories and added estimates for dates.

My estimated date is March/Q2. This most likely means I will not get the vaccine until Q3/Q4 because I don't think I will be living in TN in March. If I move to the state I think I will, T1D is not considered to be a comorbidity at all despite everything we know about how this virus enters cells being a bigger concern for diabetics (all types because it is increased BG that is the issue). So I basically get stuck with everyone else. I just hope I don't get infected before then.

I will add that the Q3/Q4 2021 dates as the end of vaccinating everyone are extremely optimistic. This is partly because we have heard this may become an annual vaccine, so we start over again at that point. Also, current rate of vaccine distribution will take 7 years. So they need to start giving a lot more shots if they are going to finish in 1 year.

Our region just got a notice via the local media that 75+ folks can start registering for their vaccine starting Jan 2. No indication on how long it will be until they actually receive it though. This matters to me of course since we've been in perpetual quarantine to protect my Dad to whom this applies.

The chart they just released with the new plan has 75+ simultaneous with group 1a2 between Jan-Feb.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    The state of TN completely changed their vaccine rollout plan. Among other things, they eliminated a category for multiple comorbidities and now I am in ohase 1c instead of phase 2. Also, there is a new phase 1c and phase 2 has been split into phases 2a and 2b. So I'm still in the 4th group.

They have added age-based rollout simultaneously with the rest of the vaccination categories and added estimates for dates.

My estimated date is March/Q2. This most likely means I will not get the vaccine until Q3/Q4 because I don't think I will be living in TN in March. If I move to the state I think I will, T1D is not considered to be a comorbidity at all despite everything we know about how this virus enters cells being a bigger concern for diabetics (all types because it is increased BG that is the issue). So I basically get stuck with everyone else. I just hope I don't get infected before then.

I will add that the Q3/Q4 2021 dates as the end of vaccinating everyone are extremely optimistic. This is partly because we have heard this may become an annual vaccine, so we start over again at that point. Also, current rate of vaccine distribution will take 7 years. So they need to start giving a lot more shots if they are going to finish in 1 year.

Our region just got a notice via the local media that 75+ folks can start registering for their vaccine starting Jan 2. No indication on how long it will be until they actually receive it though. This matters to me of course since we've been in perpetual quarantine to protect my Dad to whom this applies.

The chart they just released with the new plan has 75+ simultaneous with group 1a2 between Jan-Feb.

I dunno. They've already screwed stuff up here and vaccinations are lagging quite a bit for phase 1a1 so we aren't holding our breath.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much leeway there is to get the 2nd shot? If someone is supposed to get it at 3 weeks but it isn't available until 5 weeks, will the efficacy be reduced?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Illinois has been doing pretty well with the vaccine based on the numbers I've seen, but I haven't even tried to figure out when I will get it and assume not for ages, since I am in no special category. My sister's SO got it before Christmas, since he is working in a hospital and with some covid patients. (I don't know when he is getting the second shot, should ask.)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    the indication here is it will be 3 months!!!!! 12 weeks the manufacturers are saying there were no trials with that time lag
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Illinois has been doing pretty well with the vaccine based on the numbers I've seen, but I haven't even tried to figure out when I will get it and assume not for ages, since I am in no special category. My sister's SO got it before Christmas, since he is working in a hospital and with some covid patients. (I don't know when he is getting the second shot, should ask.)

Also in IL. Friend that is a pharmacist for Walgreens still hasn't gotten his (supposed to be next week). He's going to be going out to nursing homes (which are in the first wave along with 1st line healthcare workers) so not sure if IL is really up to plan yet.