WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Oh today was turkey, tomato, cheese and lettuce sandwich of two slices of roasted artisan whole wheat bread. I love to toast the bread under the broiler, then melt the cheese on one slice. That's what I press the tomato into. Then I mixed my bag lettuce pieces with fat free dressing so its flavorful. Fat free mayo, sweet relish, and spicy brown mustard.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Just finished cooking- cooked all afternoon-
    Started by baking the cookies, then made eggplant and tofu in oysters sauce, white rice then broiled steak for MIL and DH.
    Sauteed mushrooms with garlic, added a can of cream of mushroom soup and some milk and added tenderized(really tenderized, so much they fell apart) chicken breast and sweet wild rice for son, his girlfriend and I. Not sure they will eat but it is there if they want it. They may opt for the Japanese white rice instead of the wild rice. I have had the wild rice and just decided to cook some. DH said NO WAY he wants it. The diabetics both want plain white rice.

Ran three pork chops through the tenderizer- need to figure out how I want to cook them. Thinking about soaking them in milk and some hot sauce and then just a quick fry, served with apple sauce.

The cats , mainly the outside one, thinks it is dinner time already- way too early. But then again, Zuko always wants to eat- comes running when I ope the back door. He is the one I kicked out because he would not stop peeing in the house. His sister is next as soon as we get her fixed next month. Can't come soon enough for me. I set up a really nice area for them with comfy beds and tarps all around to keep them warm and dry.

Zumba tomorrow evening after wetlands walk at noon(if it isn't raining)- Rain expected the next two days I think. Looking forward to class. We only have it once a week now. It is too dark to do it at the park plus we skipped this past Monday because it was Halloween.

Machka- I do have ear plugs and mask and they help some but annoying to wear. I shouldn't have to wear them. The mask is very annoying to wear.

Dh came in the kitchen, complaining about something stupid(the way the cat food leaks when he opens it). Was right next to me and pretty loud. I nicely asked him to not talk quite so loud- he got pissy, said it was because he has to talk loud at his moms, he is f****** tired all the time,etc.
    Took the food I spent all afternoon cooking for them and walked out. Didn't say anything- Just left. I am sorry but when he is less than a foot away from me, he doesn't have to talk like he is across the room.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    I feel like i got enough done this weekend that i feel like accomplished some of what i wanted to get done..
    Im tucked in with Alfie watching Grease.. always a great movie..
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Debbie ... thank you for the meat tenderizer information. That is a beast of a kitchen tool! Sounds like you spent a lot of time in the kitchen today. Sorry your husband couldn't show more appreciation for your efforts.

Yesterday you were all talking about husbands helping with housework and I commented that sometimes mine helps but it's not a regular thing. Tonight after dinner I just made an off-hand comment that the kitchen sink was full again. Lo and behold, without a comment from him, I turn around a few minutes later to find him putting food away, clearing off dishes and then taking out the trash. Wonders never cease.

Spent time with my mom this afternoon (I'm there every day but at varying times). She has always been fastidious about her nails and asked me to give her a manicure. I hesitate to call it a manicure because I really am no good at shaping and painting nails. But I did my best and she seemed happy with it. Now I'm shopping online for a bed skirt/bedspread for the new bed being delivered this week. We had to go to a full to fit into her assisted living suite. I have found that today's young people do not know how to make a traditional bed. We've had bedspreads that you fold down and then encase the pillows ...like this
    uactva2o6suo.jpeg
    ... the aides have no idea how to do that. All they understand is something you pull straight and throw shams/pillows on. So that's what I'll find for her.

Beth near Buffalo
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    ^^
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Just finished dinner - pork loin cutlets and twice-baked potatoes. A few bites of each and I was done, but they were really yummy bites! Corey's finally sorted out the secret to cutlets - he puts them in a ziploc and pounds them out using his fists instead of a meat hammer. He gave up using the meat hammer a long time ago because he just ended up with shreds. Now he can get them gently pounded out to an even quarter-inch thick and they're soooo tender.

Kelly - You are such an incredibly beautiful woman, just staggering. So pleased your family might be moving near you! Sounds like it would change all your lives for the better.

I was just talking to my daughter this morning regarding their next moves. They're supposed to be PCSing to Hawaii in March for the last four years of Cruz's enlistment, and then her remaining two years until she retires. From there, Cruz's plan is to buy a ranch in Florida, near his brother. I just say "uh huh," and change the subject. Plans change, and in the military plans can change from one week to the next, much less six years. I try not to think about it at all... too roller-coastery.

Tracey - that snow made me quiver. Eight years in Montana was enough--I do not miss it at all. One snowstorm a year here is plenty.

And here we are into the holiday season already. I'm not ready.

And on that note,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Went for a walk around the block. Didn’t get far at first and had to come home to put on shorts. Then finished my walk.

Beth – oh, I love that bedspread. How I remember having ones like that! You’re right, the only ones you find nowadays are the ones you put pillows on. Personally, I don’t really care for them

Work tomorrow. It’s only 9:30 but it feels like 11. Did I happen to mention how much I hate this time change?

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to tomorrow. A dear friend from teaching days will be here. I am delighted and look forward to seeing her. 💖
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Debbie ... thank you for the meat tenderizer information. That is a beast of a kitchen tool! Sounds like you spent a lot of time in the kitchen today. Sorry your husband couldn't show more appreciation for your efforts.

Yesterday you were all talking about husbands helping with housework and I commented that sometimes mine helps but it's not a regular thing. Tonight after dinner I just made an off-hand comment that the kitchen sink was full again. Lo and behold, without a comment from him, I turn around a few minutes later to find him putting food away, clearing off dishes and then taking out the trash. Wonders never cease.

Spent time with my mom this afternoon (I'm there every day but at varying times). She has always been fastidious about her nails and asked me to give her a manicure. I hesitate to call it a manicure because I really am no good at shaping and painting nails. But I did my best and she seemed happy with it. Now I'm shopping online for a bed skirt/bedspread for the new bed being delivered this week. We had to go to a full to fit into her assisted living suite. I have found that today's young people do not know how to make a traditional bed. We've had bedspreads that you fold down and then encase the pillows ...like this
    uactva2o6suo.jpeg
    ... the aides have no idea how to do that. All they understand is something you pull straight and throw shams/pillows on. So that's what I'll find for her.

Beth near Buffalo

I haven't made a bed like that since ... ummm .... mid-teens. Almost 40 years ago.

Just about the second comforters became popular in the 80s, I ditched my bedspread.

Since I moved to Australia 13 years ago, I have been using a doona (duvet). Unless something even better comes along, I will happily stick with my doona.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    SueBDew in TX, I'd be exhausted, too! A 16th birthday family dinner, soccer game, and prep for a fancy dinner party for 27 would lay me flat on my back!

Beth near Buffalo, Looking at that chenille bedspread was a trip down memory lane. I guess there is a fair bit of demand for those vintage bedspreads. I have seen them on eBay and FB Marketplace. You are a role model for caretaker persistence and perseverance - first with your son, and now with your mother. It's an admirable quality.

I agree with those that say that POAs are often the recipients of undeserved anger & resentment, fueled by memory problems & confusion. It's a thankless task. One has to tread lightly. I am reminded of my mother telling me to do everything in my power to get the desired outcome, and then let go of the outcome. It's hard not to second guess when the POA's decisions have upset the loved one.

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Bedrooms ...

This, in the first photo, would be just about perfect for me, except that I would like the darker blue in the second photo. And I'd go with a different night table. :)

kbajwj6008hw.png

5tnaccyavxqn.png

dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka- I do have ear plugs and mask and they help some but annoying to wear. I shouldn't have to wear them. The mask is very annoying to wear.

The situation you've described is why I would not want an ensuite off the master. I like the idea of having a room for sleeping ... and a separate room as the dressing room and a bathroom down the hall.

About 3 years ago, I discovered that I sleep with my eyes open. Not all the way open, but a little bit open. I was waking up with red, sore eyes feeling like I had just done a 7-hour bicycle ride in a sandstorm.

That was when I started wearing an eye mask and it was revolutionary! I've discovered that there are several different kinds of eye masks and I like some better than others (I've got at least a dozen of them now). I also found I like wearing a stretchy lightweight headband over the eye mask to hold it in place, and the headband also goes over my ears as an extra layer.

I've also experimented with many different earplugs and have found a couple types I like. But I've also just ordered something new to see what they are like because I've heard that shift working nurses like them.

I'm also contemplating something like this for sleep in general, but most especially for sleep while travelling (air travel)

https://www.amazon.com.au/Sleep-Headphones-Perytong-Ultra-Thin-Meditation/dp/B07SHBQY7Z?th=1

mce2wfsmx5sr.png

Or maybe this ...

https://www.amazon.com.au/MUSICOZY-Headphones-Bluetooth-Microphone-Adjustable/dp/B08S2WXBP8/ref=pd_bxgy_img_sccl_2/355-8532794-6836460?pd_rd_w=Cq1nF&content-id=amzn1.sym.a30612ba-4ff5-4362-b7a7-e874eb18a520&pf_rd_p=a30612ba-4ff5-4362-b7a7-e874eb18a520&pf_rd_r=6MQBQKGJSTN9NGKBFY0T&pd_rd_wg=KpQLh&pd_rd_r=71212c2e-f0c2-4e5f-a193-047426421fd1&pd_rd_i=B08S2WXBP8&psc=1

26bi2tpvf8r7.png

I like being able to shut out the world. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara— I envy your hummingbirds. Our daughter brought us to Illinois and we haven’t seen any hummingbirds since we arrived. I miss them and my home in Oregon. I expect to be here for a long time, but I would love to go home. Right now DH’s health is improving. Keeping my fingers crossed for continued improvement.

Katla in Illinois
  • Machka9
    Options
    30 Days of Gratitude

ccz3itve5r6y.png

1. Smell - freshly cut grass on our lawn.
    2. Technology - the amazing advancements in medical technology.
    3. Colour - blue. Beautiful blue sky peaking through the clouds.
    4. Food - soup. That's what I've been eating just recently because there's less chewing. We always keep a few cans of soup on hand for situations like these.
    5. Sound - my music. I've recently acquired a number of nature sounds CDs with music playing along with sounds of ocean waves, birds, and so on. Lovely.
    6. Nature - I love nature. It would be incredibly difficult for me to pick just one thing. I am so grateful that there is nature and that I can enjoy it.
    7. Memory - Winter 2017. The last time I visited my parents and a wonderful 1-month holiday to Canada that June/July. My husband and I did two cycling events and a lot of other cycling. We climbed mountains and explored a glacier. We visited friends and family.

Memories:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157682899188730

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Machka- I have the gray headband eyemask.. it works wonderful..
    Dopey Alfie woke me up at 5 this morning.. wanting treats and I wanted to sleep but didn't happen..
    Dropping my car off for oil changr and new rear brakes.. so Tracy will bring me home..and hopefully someone from the garage can pick me up its right down the street.
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Terrifying trip home from church today. Oh the wind and the rain. Shaking the car and pushing toward the edges. Blowing the rain down so hard and fast the double yellow line disappeared. Took a chance on turning inland on the narrow, twisty, poorly maintained Carpenterville Road to get away from 101 and the ocean wind. The shelter of the trees and a few hills helped some, but was offset by the patches of road sinking and getting ready to slide off the hill. Thought of Machka’s recent weather and the “just speed up” meme. Made it home safely, hugged Joe and held it for a very very looong time.
    More of the same weather is forecast for tomorrow. Will pass on class and do my line dancing at home.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

I'm glad you made it home safely!

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Machka- I have the gray headband eyemask.. it works wonderful..

Thank you, that's good to know. Does it block out quite a bit of sound?

Machka in Oz