WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• kasullivan1966
    kasullivan1966 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That’s beautiful. Did you make it? I make tons of jewelry myself. Thanks for sharing..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    lyft5c2a60ca.png
  • Machka9
    edited November 2022
    Options
    That’s beautiful. Did you make it? I make tons of jewelry myself. Thanks for sharing..

No, it was made by a new friend I've met at our beekeeping group. :)

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,067 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    (Pg 31)

Had a lovely laidback weekend. 2 active rest days, an outing with DYD, Skype with family on Sunday afternoon, and an easy week ahead.

Having a relaxed morning. I do have prep for Monday Painters after lunch, but then nothing except homework for Friday morning Latin Study,

Planning to finish planting my spring containers if the rain clears up.

Barbie:I’m working on that quotation, but it’s an uphill battle 😝

Tracey: 😂 the Christmas figures.

Michele: It’s a pity that Jess and her friend aren't going to make it down. The IKEA trip was more of a jolly than a necessity lol. I did get some Christmas stuff, and a few essentials, an some small storage containers.

Betsy: 😢 your sister's stage 4 diagnosis. It’s good that the new treatment seems to be working. Grief never goes. We just learn to live with it (((hugs)))

Heather: 🥰 the Spanish lady.

November Gratitude:
    1. smell. Vanilla ice cream
    2. technology. Internet - access to y’all
    3. colour. Golden tones of autumn
    4. food. Mussels in white wine
    5. sound. The sound of DH in the kitchen making morning tea
    6. nature. Woodland and mountains
    7. memory. Holding my 11 day old DGD on Christmas morning 1994
    8. book. All books 😝
    9. place. My garden
    10. taste. Chocolate
    11. holiday. Cruise to Norway to see the Northern lights. We did so many things on that cruise.
    12. texture. There are so many textures, but I love the sleek silkiness of my hair when it is newly washed.
    13. abilities. I find it invaluable to be able to concentrate and focus on the positive, and use my analytical acumen. I can bring it to bear in finding the positive in unhelpful events. Learn from experience, so to speak.
    14. sight. Literally grateful for my sight. I only have good sight in one eye due to a birth defect in the optical nerve in my left eye. I don’t miss what I never had, but am super aware of the importance of my one good eye.
    15. season.
    16. about your body.
    17. knowledge.
    18. piece of art.
    19. touch.
    20. who.
    21. song.
    22. story.
    23. tradition.
    24. challenge.
    25. moment this week.
    26. form of expression.
    27. daily use item.
    28. what happen today.
    29. friend/family member.
    30. talent or skill

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Options
    30 Days of Gratitude
    ccz3itve5r6y.png

1. Smell - freshly cut grass on our lawn.
    2. Technology - the amazing advancements in medical technology.
    3. Colour - blue. Beautiful blue sky peaking through the clouds.
    4. Food - soup. That's what I've been eating just recently because there's less chewing. We always keep a few cans of soup on hand for situations like these.
    5. Sound - my music. I've recently acquired a number of nature sounds CDs with music playing along with sounds of ocean waves, birds, and so on. Lovely.
    6. Nature - I love nature. It would be incredibly difficult for me to pick just one thing. I am so grateful that there is nature and that I can enjoy it.
    7. Memory - Winter 2017. The last time I visited my parents and a wonderful 1-month holiday to Canada that June/July. My husband and I did two cycling events and a lot of other cycling. We climbed mountains and explored a glacier. We visited friends and family.
    Memories:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157682899188730
    8. Book - Norman Doidge's The Brain's Way of Healing. I found it inspirational!
    https://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1042
    9. Place - home. I've moved and travelled a lot and home is wherever I happen to feel really comfortable. Right now, home is a certain house here in Tasmania where I can go and just be myself (mostly, for even a little while). Home is where I can lie down on the sofa and doze off when I've had a rough day, like I did yesterday.
    10. Taste - salt. My favourite taste. :) On the one hand I need salt because of my exercise and medications, on the other hand I need to reduce my salt because of my kidneys. But given the choice, I'll usually go salty over sweet ... or maybe salty and sweet!
    11. Holiday - Christmas!!!!
    12. Texture - smoothness. I like smooth clothes, smooth sheets, Rhody's smooth fur ...
    13. Abilities - I don't really think of myself in terms of having abilities. I've sort of thought of myself as "the jack of all trades, master of none". However, organisation is one that I've been thankful for throughout my life.
    14. Sight - the beauty all around. In our yard, where we go cycling, where I work, and travelling around this island.

1709mas5lkrb.png
    rc3tbwv1udqd.png
    2sw99mmzo1a6.png
    k1x7rin95lez.png

Machka in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Tracey - those Christmas decorations are beautiful. <3 I'm inspired to actually do some decorating this year. Generally I at least get a wreath on the door, maybe it's time to up it.

Kim - or should I call you Cookie? :o Every year a sweet gal on the block brings a BIG tray of cookies & homemade candies in decorated paper cups to all 6 houses on our lane alone. She's been doing it for years. One year I caught her early after I retired and begged her to skip us, DH didn't eat many sweets so I ended up eating nearly all of them. Yes I put a lot of them in the freezer and I discovered I love frozen cookies.

She did skip us that year but has been back at it again ever since. Now I see all of work and expense it is - I think she gets together with some of her church friends to do all of this.

With all of the folks going no sugar and low carb, I don't think any of the recipients would mind getting smaller plates of cookies. Your mom might go for that?

Rosemarie - Amazon Prime Rewards. I have an Amazon Visa thru Chase Bank, and I get a certain amount of points for purchases. Sometimes if I don't use it much, and it's just a few dollars. But last month I bought tires for the car and a few other things so it added up. I think a person also has to be enrolled in Amazon Prime - which is $150 per year or around $12.50/month, and for that I get free shipping on most items plus access to a lot of series and movies and videos. I figure for as much as I use it, it's a good deal for me.

Regarding your bedroom light, what's the wattage printed on the bulb? 40 or 60? I'll plug in the Kill A Watt into one of my lamps and see how much electricity it's using and give you an estimate. Our electric rate here is $.97 per day plus usage which is billed at 0.6819 per KWH. From what I'm seeing so far, I doubt that bedroom light - if it's incandescent - costs even a dollar per month. And if it's one of the new energy saving lights, it's probably pennies. Will be happy to check it out. ;)

I'm heading in early for my regular eye exam and then grabbing some groceries. The frames on my favorite regular glasses are nearly worn out. They are at least 20 years old so I guess I got my money's worth. :) I see metal frames are "in" again so maybe it's time for a new pair. I kept wearing the old ones because I discovered I'm allergic to the plastic in the ear pieces on many brands. :'( - my temples would itch and break out. So I have several pairs of newer ones in the drawer. They'd be good to wear in an emergency but not for long periods of time. Wish me luck!

I was going to complain about the temperature being 31f but realize many of you are now dealing with night time temps in the teens and 20's and snow to boot. So I'll count my blessings instead.

Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Kim- Holy crap, that is a LOT of baking! My mom baked like that for the holidays; BUT we were a family of eight and all holidays for both my mom's and my dad's side were at our home. My mom comes from a family of 11 kids and my dad from a family of 7 kids. We would meld the two families together for holidays. There were cousins in every nook and cranny! lol Good times! I remember quite a few "adventures/mishaps" on those events.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

No, it was made by a new friend I've met at our beekeeping group. :)

M in Oz

I bought these two pieces from her ...

t2m0oft0qxiu.png

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :) We have three credit cards that have cash back rewards. We put nearly everything including utility bills on one of the credit cards so we get lots of cash back. We pay off the cards at the end of each month. We use them for simplicity, not to buy something we can't afford.

:) I baked cookies with my mother when I was a child but stopped long before I left home. I am grateful to not be obligated to make holiday preparations with anyone or for anyone. I enjoy seeing the outdoor decorations in my neighborhood when I walk in the morning and the evening.

:)Lanette, I applaud your efforts to limit electric use. I realized that turning the furnace up a degree or making use of other benefits of electricity is the treat I allow myself much like others buy jewelry, clothing, furniture, or restaurant meals as special treats.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Rosemary I think you are on the right track. I have learned so much by listening to holistic vets during online dog summit. Here is Minnesota our bodies crave carbs this time of year because it is often grey and our days are getting shorter. Unfortunately you are correct too many carbs can create insulin resistance. If you look at your coke it is still made with high fructose corn syrup that your body has a hard time processing. They use it because it is cheap.

It is worse for dogs because their bodies are even less able to process too many carbs than ours. Learning more and more why dry dog food is bad for dog's health. Now with the price of food skyrocketing many companies are tweeting their recipes with cheaper ingredients. Fillers are often starches which can be just as bad as sugars. This is also happening in people food too. I try to eat very little processed food and try to watch my sugars and starches.

I am now having Drew only a mostly raw diet. Very high in protein because this is a species appropriate diet for her. Fortunately she is small 12 pounds so she is not as expensive to feed her. I do give her fermented raw goats milk for calcium and probiotics and that is the most expensive food I give her. Still I think it is cheaper than vet bills.

What I learned about microbes from food that help to keep me healthy. Learned in Pet Summit.
    I may have mentioned this before...One of the most fascinating talks was on what had happened to our gut biome. She showed what was believed to be our biome pre agriculture. Our microbes were much more diverse. Agriculture started to change that and the biome became less. As population rose and modern farming practices grew the biome shrank. Then with the advent of antibiotics and herbicides that kill the microbes in the soil (think Roundup) it is even smaller. Then enter the pandemic where some were even wiping down their food with Clorox wipes brought in from the store. Unfortunately these practices kill the good along with the bad which leaves us vulnerable when the bad take over. This knowledge is changing the way I view the quality of food and how I go about my daily life. I still use soap but anti- bacterial is out for me. When I can and when I can afford it I buy organic. Products at least have to say no GMO's. It is not the tweaking of the genes that is so bad to me it is the use of the herbicides that kill the microbes in the soil. It is those microbes that are in healthy balance keeps me healthy.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Y'all have inspired me to apply for the Prime Visa card! As much as I shop on Amazon, I might as well get some credit for my spending. This is difficult for me because I have not used a credit card in 15 years. I have been paying for everything as I go using my debit card.

Christmas/Thanksgiving Baking: My husband has already requested a fruit cake. And, I will be making my Southern cornbread dressing. My DnL's mom has been so kind for inviting us for almost all holidays during the last few years. I am at the point in life where I cannot handle getting ready for the event at my house and neither can my husband. I will probably make brownies.

Carol in GA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Carol - I totally understand using a debit card for everything, but for purchases especially online; most credit cards will help you with issues with vendors (stuff doesn't come, it isn't right...) and will help with fraud. Some debit cards also provide those serves but most do NOT... So checking with the bank that provides the debit card is always a good idea. It is in all the small print, but I have found that going into the bank with the paper work and asking the questions means some nice staff member can show me where what I want to know is... the last time I got a new debit card it came with 3 pages of tiny tiny print.

smiles Kim in N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I have been worrying about health issues in the family. DH is one & may be coming to our apartment, but no date is set yet. I am hoping it will come true when he is able.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »

Debbie-sometimes our bodies get stuck at a weight for a while. Maybe your calories are a bit too low? A variation one way or the other can seem to jumpstart sometimes.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Ginny- that is a good possibility- I keep it between 1000 and 1100 and have for a long time.
    I have a phone appointment this Friday with the dietician at Kaiser. Looking forward to hearing what she says. I have kept it that low for so long so hard to go over it- MFP says I should be eating 1200. I keep it a little under in case I am not tracking exactly right. I never use any of my exercise "points"-
    Today I might eat a little closer to 1200 but I will also have about 20,000 steps in by the end of the day with my walk at the wetlands and an hour of zumba tonight.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options

Rosemarie - Amazon Prime Rewards. I have an Amazon Visa thru Chase Bank, and I get a certain amount of points for purchases. Sometimes if I don't use it much, and it's just a few dollars. But last month I bought tires for the car and a few other things so it added up. I think a person also has to be enrolled in Amazon Prime - which is $150 per year or around $12.50/month, and for that I get free shipping on most items plus access to a lot of series and movies and videos. I figure for as much as I use it, it's a good deal for me.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I have Amazon Visa through Chase too- love getting the points.
    I am not a Prime member(dh is but our accounts are not linked)
    No fees to have the card.
    That is the only credit card I use.
    Nice to have points to use on things so getting stuff with no cash going out.
    We switch back and forth on who gets points when we do large purchases(car repairs, home repairs, cruise,,,,,) Dh has his Sony card and gets points on that then uses the points for Sony products.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,830 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I took my website down. But looking for an inexpensive alternative. The name is in the spoiler but I don’t think you can get to it any more.
    Twoboundinginthecuckoosnest.com
    I know, long name!

Grateful:
    Day 14 sight: the different topographies across America. It was wonderful to see all the different landscapes as I travel. I love nature and landscapes.

Traditions- holidays our traditional dinners and parties fell by the wayside as people moved away and passed away. They got smaller every year. Now, just DH and I and sometimes a homeless person visiting the park for the holidays. We always invited lonely people to come eat and visit with us on the holidays.

RvRita in NM

3j6gif3ae3o2.jpeg
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Rita ~ Beautiful family and lovely tree!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,067 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Rebeca: Bravo 🎉 on the weight loss.

Machka: 🥰 your new pretties

Heather: Bravo 🎉 It looks like you had a blast on stage.

Kay/Flea: Commiserations on being caught by the ‘glitter’. Hope it is short lived with no great after effects.

November Gratitude:
    1. smell. Vanilla ice cream
    2. technology. Internet - access to y’all
    3. colour. Golden tones of autumn
    4. food. Mussels in white wine
    5. sound. The sound of DH in the kitchen making morning tea
    6. nature. Woodland and mountains
    7. memory. Holding my 11 day old DGD on Christmas morning 1994
    8. book. All books 😝
    9. place. My garden
    10. taste. Chocolate
    11. holiday. Cruise to Norway to see the Northern lights. We did so many things on that cruise.
    12. texture. There are so many textures, but I love the sleek silkiness of my hair when it is newly washed.
    13. abilities. I find it invaluable to be able to concentrate and focus on the positive, and use my analytical acumen. I can bring it to bear in finding the positive in unhelpful events. Learn from experience, so to speak.
    14. sight. Literally grateful for my sight. I only have good sight in one eye due to a birth defect in the optical nerve in my left eye. I don’t miss what I never had, but am super aware of the importance of my one good eye.
    15. season.
    16. about your body.
    17. knowledge.
    18. piece of art.
    19. touch.
    20. who.
    21. song.
    22. story.
    23. tradition.
    24. challenge.
    25. moment this week.
    26. form of expression.
    27. daily use item.
    28. what happen today.
    29. friend/family member.
    30. talent or skill

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri