WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Mary, What a shocker! So sorry for you and his family.

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Remembrance Day

or3za3t90o1h.png

Sorry Mary

Mary that is so sad! That poor family!

I'm kicking myself for going over calories. I usually do well on Thursday but not this week. Oh well. I did do my horseback riding, and Henry was very good. And I have dumbbells to do after Jeopardy.

I helped my dad with the online banking today. He is starting to forget stuff. For a few minutes he couldn't remember the name of the bank. There will come a time when I have to take over his finances, but not just yet. I just hope it's a friendly transition.

Annie in Delaware

Are you writing things down for your father?

barbiecat wrote: »
    My evening walk was in the dark for the first time this season. I saw two houses with a few holiday lights

Christmas decorating day is December 1. :)

exermom wrote: »
    Barbara – Vince won’t eat ANY spice (or at least he SAYS he won’t). He finally admitted one time to a friend of mine that the reason he’s so pickey is because of the way his mother cooked. Her idea of spices was salt, pepper, and ketchup. One time we (his mother and I) went out and she had this chili with this orange stuff on top (cheddar cheese). She didn’t like any cheese (or so she said). She asked me what that orange stuff was and I just said “I honestly don’t know”. “It’s good” Many is the time he has eaten spices because I’ve hidden them and not had the taste of them be very strong and he never knew it. And I “accidentally on purpose” forgot to tell him. So even if he could put his own toppings on, if he knew what they were he most likely wouldn’t eat them. That’s why I got this chicken/cheese/vegetable thing for us along with chicken nuggets. I know he’ll eat the nuggets. Cheese? Forget it unless it’s on pizza. Vegetables other than corn and carrots? Forget it.

Michele NC

Tacos don't have to be spicy.

I keep the meat fairly bland because neither of us likes lots of spice. Then we have fairly common toppings ... guacamole, lettuce, tomato, onion, beans, cheese, and various heat levels of salsa.

And we can choose what we want. If someone just wants lettuce, that's OK.

That's the beauty of tacos. Whatever you want is OK. :)

Orange cheddar!!! I'd almost forgotten it's orange in North America. :smiley:

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    Gratitude 10: taste=that first sip of tea in the morning.

Rebecca glad the heat and toilet issues are minor, hope you can continue to fly under the radar ;)
    Lisa congrats on the writing, even more on the hour of not moving.
    Beth ((hugs))
    Suebdew what did you do to your thumb/wrist?
    Mary What a sad shock. ((hugs)) and prayers for you and your family.
    Annie tough transitions. Good luck.
    Barbie that meme made me laugh!
    Michele, wow. And I thought I was a picky eater.

Done:
    11/10: Move: 2 sets pt, Jeopardy walking steps: 7675
    Fuel: plants (running count for week) so far: almonds, apple, artichoke, avocado, beans-cannellini, beets, broccoli stalk, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn on the cob, cherries-dried, cranberries-dried, cucumber, garlic, grapefruit, maraschino cherry, mustard greens, orange, pecans, radish, romaine, snap peas, snow peas, sweet peppers-orange, sweet peppers-red, tomato-sauce, walnuts, wheat-pasta/bread CI<CO=Y just barely
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, found C-19 booster appointment for Joe,board meeting minutes, laundry mountain excavation.
    Wt: 138.9

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2022: Be still and listen.
    November: Move more (>7515 steps), fuel better (protein + vegs), live NOW (time with Joe, Tumble and Shadow).
  • Machka9
    Options
    30 Days of Gratitude
    ccz3itve5r6y.png

1. Smell - freshly cut grass on our lawn.
    2. Technology - the amazing advancements in medical technology.
    3. Colour - blue. Beautiful blue sky peaking through the clouds.
    4. Food - soup. That's what I've been eating just recently because there's less chewing. We always keep a few cans of soup on hand for situations like these.
    5. Sound - my music. I've recently acquired a number of nature sounds CDs with music playing along with sounds of ocean waves, birds, and so on. Lovely.
    6. Nature - I love nature. It would be incredibly difficult for me to pick just one thing. I am so grateful that there is nature and that I can enjoy it.
    7. Memory - Winter 2017. The last time I visited my parents and a wonderful 1-month holiday to Canada that June/July. My husband and I did two cycling events and a lot of other cycling. We climbed mountains and explored a glacier. We visited friends and family.
    Memories:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157682899188730
    8. Book - Norman Doidge's The Brain's Way of Healing. I found it inspirational!
    https://www.normandoidge.com/?page_id=1042
    9. Place - home. I've moved and travelled a lot and home is wherever I happen to feel really comfortable. Right now, home is a certain house here in Tasmania where I can go and just be myself (mostly, for even a little while). Home is where I can lie down on the sofa and doze off when I've had a rough day, like I did yesterday.
    10. Taste - salt. My favourite taste. :) On the one hand I need salt because of my exercise and medications, on the other hand I need to reduce my salt because of my kidneys. But given the choice, I'll usually go salty over sweet ... or maybe salty and sweet!
    11. Holiday - Christmas!!!!

This Christmas will be a bit different. Normally, I take a couple weeks off and we travel to the north of the state where we cycle.

This Christmas, I'll be recovering. And I'm guessing I won't be driving or cycling or doing anything that requires glasses.

Machka in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Up super early here, couldn't sleep. Seems I'm into the 6 hr of sleep combined with one or two short naps during the day schedule.

Mary - So very sorry to hear about your nephew and sending prayers for the family. A close friend of mine's niece, in her 30's, passed in her sleep recently - she had been in good health so it's a mystery. Sadly, seems to be happening more often. :'(

Barbara - I got nervous reading about your drive home! Driving in the rain and wind is hard enough on straight dry pavement. Hope no slides and your road remained in good shape.

The grateful list - I'm very late to the party here. I try to mentally fill my day with gratitude for all kinds of things and memories. Too many to list. :D Love reading everyone's though. <3

Ginny - glad to hear you are back at work and getting some walks in.

Tracey - winter already? Brrr. Sending good vibes for your SIL's kidney stones.

Heather - thank you for taking us along on your cruise and adventures. Loving the photos. :)

Sending hugs to all going thru dermatology appointments and upcoming surgeries. Grateful the spot on my nose was caught early several years ago and hasn't returned.

Vicki - your mention of long meetings brings back less than favorable memories for me as well. Some bigwigs don't seem to have a clue that employees responsible for the phones - yours or in my case, 911 - can't just walk away and let calls go to voicemail. I too was in hot water several times for skipping the long boring meetings that had nothing to do with me. Was very glad to retire from that job. Great that you have some time off and how nice you'll come in to cover for your employee having the early Thanksgiving. <3

Karen - I'm tickled at how things are coming together for your new place and your brother's move. The end is in sight. You are such a blessing to him. <3 That fine dining sounds great :)

Beth - I can feel your exhaustion. Saying a prayer that your mom settles into her new living space and remains safe. So happy she's closer to you now.

Lisa - so glad you are doing better. :)

Carol - so sorry to hear you have to endure more election stuff. I have done my best to not get "emotionally involved" in the election other than those races in my county and representing me at the statehouse. Otherwise, too much BS from both sides that raises my BP in my opinion. I still vote and pray that it will all work out for the best for everyone. This name calling stuff and way out accusations between candidates has been going on for a long, long time - I ran across some newspapers from the 1800's and mid 1900's. They were at it back then too. Except now the internet and TV goes at it 24/7. :s I gave up believing most of what the media "reports" several years ago in an effort to keep what's left of my sanity and instead focus on things I can control. ;)

Suebdew - sorry to hear about your hand. Hope wrapping it lets it heal well. Always glad to see you pop in!

Rebecca - what a mess with your heat going out but happy to hear they are tending to it. Totally understand your situation - some things we just put up with vs. landlord spending $$ and raising the rent. How long will older son be away? 2 years?

Allie - I never get tired of the Miles photos. Thank you for posting!!

Rori - I'm mentally soaking up the rays with you. I tried to reach through the screen and grab that yummy looking fish taco.

Yesterday my friend Charlie showed up unexpectedly with a small load of firewood. It's clean and still fairly dry so I need to get it moved under cover in the next several days - afternoon sunshine is predicted here until next Thurday so that will help it to dry out more. The wood is small - dry mill ends, and uneven lengths so hard to stack - I'll tote what I can and just pile it, which will speed things up. My plan is to pick out the drier pieces and pop them into the greenhouse where it gets from 80f to 100f when the sun shines. What I don't get moved will be tarped. I mainly needed some for emergency heating in case we lose power or go through a real cold snap - take some pressure off the electric bill.

A while back, one or more of you ladies mentioned "You Are the Placebo" by Dr. Joe Dispenza and I'm reading it now. I truly believe our minds help us to heal, the trick is to train those brain cells, lol. I have his new one "Becoming Supernatural" on order at the library.

Rosie is still asleep - I can hear the coyotes at it outside. I don't think they are close but will have to bundle up and go with her when she wakes up and needs to go out and do her business. She's pretty wary.

Make it a fabulous day!

Lanette B)
    Chilly SW WA State

• Machka9
    Options
    Meetings: Vince’s company used to give you a “punctuality bonus”. Actually, this was part of your salary. You were required to punch in by like 9. If you didn’t, the company could dock you some pay. This was incentive for people to be at the office for a, say, 9:30 meeting.

Michele NC

How awful. :(

So glad I've never worked anywhere that treated employees like that.

M in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary— I am so sorry for the loss of your nephew. His sudden death is heartbreaking. 🥲.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options

A while back, one or more of you ladies mentioned "You Are the Placebo" by Dr. Joe Dispenza and I'm reading it now. I truly believe our minds help us to heal, the trick is to train those brain cells, lol. I have his new one "Becoming Supernatural" on order at the library.

Lanette B)
    Chilly SW WA State

Intriguing!

I'm not familiar with that book or author, but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment conveyed in the title...in so many ways...

In my opinion, the magic of the placebo effect is as mysterious as it is powerful.

My father's medical partner Dr. Smith had a pivotal role in the recognition of Family Medicine as a board certified specialty in the USA, and particularly in Nebraska, where almost everything, including OB/GYN, orthopedics, general surgery, etc. was/is done by Family Practitioners. Dr. Smith and my father "cured" many a patient with a reassuring word and a sugar pill. It might seem duplicitous to some, but to me it was good medicine; the placebo effect is such a powerful, integral part of healing that discounting it instead of embracing it is unenlightened and downright dangerous.

____

We had such a nice time last night - the bill came to a whopping $63! :D We still have a $152 credit to use by the 15th! I think tonight will be salmon for me. Or maybe scallops or pasta puttanesca. decisions, decisions. I got Filet Oscar last night. It was excellent, but I eat mostly pescatarian these days and found that a couple of bites was enough beef for me. So I think salad and salmon may be tonight's choice. That's what my brother had last night and it looked delectable.

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Meetings: Vince’s company used to give you a “punctuality bonus”. Actually, this was part of your salary. You were required to punch in by like 9. If you didn’t, the company could dock you some pay. This was incentive for people to be at the office for a, say, 9:30 meeting.

Michele NC

M in Oz

I suppose it depends on the job. We were fined if we were even one minute late. $50 the first time, then $100, then $150, then suspension for 3 days. It reset every year. Sounds harsh, but as medical providers in an urgent care clinic, I put myself in the shoes of a patient with an emergency being told the medical provider was "tardy". I was late once in 30 years due to a schedule misunderstanding.

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Michele NC

M in Oz

I suppose it depends on the job. We were fined if we were even one minute late. $50 the first time, then $100, then $150, then suspension for 3 days. It reset every year. Sounds harsh, but as medical providers in an urgent care clinic, I put myself in the shoes of a patient with an emergency being told the medical provider was "tardy". I was late once in 30 years due to a schedule misunderstanding.

Karen in Virginia

I wouldn't have liked that kind of environment at all.

The majority of my jobs have been somewhat flexible and I work much better in that environment. Right now, I arrive when my bus gets me to the office somewhere between about 8:35 and 8:50 am. Technically my start time would be about 8:45 based on when I have to leave to catch the bus at the end of the day, but if I arrive early, that's OK because sometimes I might arrive a little bit late. It'll all work out in the end.

For the first 6 months of this year, I worked in an office where they expected me at 8:30 am and I had to work past 5 pm, and the buses didn't work really well for that. I ended up being in the city an extra 20-30 minutes a day. Fortunately, they don't do the fining thing here, so if the bus was late and I didn't walk in till 8:32 or something, it was OK. But still, it was just one of several things I found very stressful in that job.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    edited November 2022
    Options
    This has been a long week.

It was a 5-day work week for me, so it is one of my long weeks. I work a 9-day fortnight: 5 days one week, 4 days the next.

I'm still sore and swollen and bleeding at times from various spots. My nose is swollen, which is giving me headaches up the nose to my forehead between my eyes and into my eyes. My glasses press on some of the swelling.

I'm very tired because I have not been sleeping well - I'm so uncomfortable in bed. So hard to find a comfortable position with chunks taken out of me. I was also extremely stressed about the results of the biopsies that I didn't sleep Tuesday night.

We got our tax stuff together and had our taxes done one lunch.

I got the medical news I expected ... but was hoping not to get ... on another lunch.

We've just moved into the new place at work, and although I like it, everyone is getting used to it and getting settled, so everything is a bit unsettled. I was at a temporary desk all week, right in the middle of a main traffic route, because my desk top hadn't arrived making it hard to focus on anything. Thankfully my desk top arrived today so I was able to move into my location.

Thankfully, I can get some extra sleep/rest on this weekend.
    Thankfully next week is a 4-day week.

szpv8ob967mc.png

Machka in Oz
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    (((MARY & FAMILY)))

Carol in GA
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Mary, I am so very sorry for your loss.

Happy Veteran's Day!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

Grateful for...
    10-*taste-savory
    11-*holiday-thanksgiving
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    <3Mary, I am so sorry for your loss
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im here with Miles,but I think im fighting something off.Im not sick per se im just wiped out.. so im going to lay low this weekend and get lots of fluids,I picked up a couple more cases of water at Sams yesterday, so im set there..
    Carmine is off today as it is veterans day. And a big shout out to all of you that have served our country. Thank you for your service!!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,062 Member
    Options

November Gratitude:
    1. smell. Vanilla ice cream
    2. technology. Internet - access to y’all
    3. colour. Golden tones of autumn
    4. food. Mussels in white wine
    5. sound. The sound of DH in the kitchen making morning tea
    6. nature. Woodland and mountains
    7. memory. Holding my 11 day old DGD on Christmas morning 1994
    8. book. All books 😝
    9. place. My garden
    10. taste. Chocolate
    11. holiday. Cruise to Norway to see the Northern lights. We did so many things on that cruise.
    12. texture.
    13. abilities.
    14. sight.
    15. season.
    16. about your body.
    17. knowledge.
    18. piece of art.
    19. touch.
    20. who.
    21. song.
    22. story.
    23. tradition.
    24. challenge.
    25. moment this week.
    26. form of expression.
    27. daily use item.
    28. what happen today.
    29. friend/family member.
    30. talent or skill

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri