Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    B)

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,374 Member
    Options
    Karen - Thanks for the info, it always helps. It's such a pleasure to see your joy for your brother's circumstances. You've worked so hard for him. So pleased it's paying off!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,689 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Over with mr Miles
    And he was asleep before mom even left..the chill has hit Connecticut and we will be getting a bit of snow tonight.
    I bought him the book the wonky donkey, its a riot..
    There is a youtube video of a Scottish grandma reading it to her grandson,and she starts cracking up.. you have to watch it..
    I would like to go to my cousins wedding in Tennessee in March but,i can't justify the price of plane tickets..
    Well cookies and treats
    My dads mom and her sisters were big sweets bakers ,always on hand
    My mom made a couple of things when i was little we made gingerbread men and sugar cookies that we decorated at Christmas, and mom made seven layer bars..
    I did alot of baking when I was married to Tom but I don't anymore.. I do have all my grandma's recipes and her recipe box.
    Covid- Ive been extremely lucky when I go into any store I wear a mask ,I have to think of Miles...
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    lolololololKAREN VA- The Squatty Potty video! LOL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It is SNOWING here in Illinois! I am enjoying the view from my windows. Currently 8:01 local time.
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    !!??
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Barbara, so proud of you, Joe, and the pups. We are trying to train our mini Aussie, and she is getting it, but slowly. Our trainer has to spend most of her time training the humans!

Thank you for the tip Lanette.

Karen, I have been following your brother's housing saga. He is so lucky to have you as an advocate.

Second dose of paxlovid is in. I do think I'm feeling better. Still all the symptoms but maybe easing a bit.

Every one take care.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Flea - I wish I was nearby to bring you soup and take the dog out for you!!! at $25 a pop - I would be out $250, for the 10 folks I do trays for - that is more than the budget for all 34 trays... That is out of my slim budget.

Kim
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Kim - We don't do that kind of mutual gift giving. It doesn't happen. My neighbour occasionally gives us a tin of commercial biscuits, but we don't reciprocate. I don't want things in my house that make me fat. I don't have an office to make fat, and I don't want the neighbours to start getting ideas. The commercial tin was given to a homeless guy. We just never eat cookies, biscuits, etc.
    I am trying my best to keep Christmas to a minimum.
    I have cut down massively on Christmas gifts. This year my brother and sister in law are very happy with a donation to their local homeless charity. My other sister in law is a great gift giver but I'm trying to wean her off it. She knows I don't do Christmas gifts. She is not happy, but ........
    My son and daughter in law will have token food presents this year, but only because we are over there for Christmas Day. Of course we are giving to the grandchildren. My DDIL tells me what to buy.
    Basically I hate all the razzmatazz to do with Christmas. DH makes his own cake and I am helping my son out with the Christmas Dinner, but I just wish it would all go away. I would love to go away on a cruise one year and let them do it all. I'm debating whether to put the tree up this year, but I might, just for the grandchildren.
    I do send cards, because I like to keep in touch with old friends, but my list is getting shorter every year!
    I would find it amazingly stressful to feel all those obligations. A gift given freely is one thing, but an obligation just is no pleasure. Luckily, I've managed to avoid getting caught up in anything like that and no-one expects it. If I'm expected to do something, I generally don't do it.
    If you like doing it, then do it. If you don't like it, don't. If people are surprised or upset, let them be. Usually, I have found people very relieved not to have to find a gift for me. No one hates me. I just say, I'm not doing gifts this year.
    I'm sure there are some places in the UK where there is an excessive amount of obligatory gift giving, but it isn't a thing around here. Lucky me.

Love to those who take on all these responsibilities, and I am sure you are doing it with love and joy in your heart. Otherwise, just stop. Only do the things you want to do.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Ok Ladies,

So my question is what do you give to neighbors, friends, and service providers?
    Confused in California - Kim

Nothing. I appreciate the time and effort (especially since I know how much energy it takes), but I'd rather get nothing. I live in an area where we only hear from the neighbors if they wave "hi" at us or when they want to complain to us about something (though one did give me a bag of persimmons last week, which was wonderful). I don't even know my mail carrier--the person has switched so many times in the past year, I can't keep track--and my family lives 1600 miles away and there are just too many of them. Most people in our social circle don't want treats like that. They'd rather spend time with us. We are fortunate that we don't need or want anything; though, I'll take a bag of fruit any time.

The mister and I gift each other travel experiences.

Tina in CA

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Our plan to pick up Bea was abandoned when we arrived in Southampton to terrible pouring rain and high winds. I was absolutely knackered from not sleeping. I texted my son who was completely fine with it.
    The taxi ride home was scary with so much water on the road. I was not comfortable. However, we got back safely and it's still raining.
    Needed to warm the house up when we got back and it took all day. It's now up to temperature.
    Had a long nap after lunch and then unpacked. Very few dirty clothes, because of the free laundry. :D
    DH went out when it was not raining so heavily to buy salad, milk and fruit. It's falafel and hummus tonight.

The only things that went wrong was the catch on the door to the utility room. Forced it open with my boarding card! :p Must get a new catch.
    Then the remote for the TV, which has been ailing for a while, decided to collapse. I can still turn the TV on, but not much more. I achieved a work around with the recorder, using that to change channels, but I've ordered a new remote from Amazon, arriving tomorrow.
    Otherwise all OK.
    We are about to open our complimentary bottle of English fizz from the boat. The last echoes of the holiday.
    Then a quiet night in and dream of our next cruise.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • peggyad3
    peggyad3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am now back after along time off. Love all of your posts. Especially the positivity.

Peggy from Philly Pa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    I'll have to mail some to our younger son, so postage will also add up. Canada Post has three sizes of boxes that you can pay for (fairly reasonable) and then whatever fits in the box will be mailed. There is a weight limit, but I have used them the past few years and they do hold a good amount with no extra charge. I will have to look into that again this year.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

USPS has their priority boxes like that and that is what I use to send to former hubby/inlaws. The bad part is that the largest they have is the size the medium used to be so I either can send a lot less , which I don't like doing, or, I send two boxes to him and one to his parents. Shipping adds up but I know they really enjoy it and I told him, why am I working if not to spend the money on something that brings me so much joy. I have money set aside every week for things like this. Shipping will cost more than the stuff inside or maybe the same(prices on chocolate and other supplies have really gone up this year but I am not going to cut back because of that-just shocked at the prices)

Debbie