WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    A minor victory - I really wanted to eat tonight, especially as my dad had his ice cream, but I managed to say no! My self discipline is coming back and that feels good.

I did some yoga and marching this morning. Yay! I am becoming a person who restarts exercise after a setback. I don't feel strong yet, but I will.

My next challenge is finding a ride to this play and home again. I downloaded Uber but it doesn't seem very active in my area. Maybe Saturday will be more active.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day -

Walk w/all kids, *fastest and furthest distance yet* - 1hr 18min 34sec, 23elev, 2.73ap, 86ahr, 111mhr, 3.75mi= 436c
    Strava app = 460c
    Walk w/yogi- 48.57min, 35elev, 3.08ap, 85ahr, 113mhr, 2.54mi= 230c
    Strava app = 311c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 13.34min, 92elev, 161aw, 22.3amph, 120ahr, 148mhr, 5.04mi= 102c
    Strava app = 125c
    Zwift stats- 16.19min, 96elev, 147aw, 53arpm, 22.39amph, 6.09mi= 137c
    Walk to drug store n bk- 11.52min, .66mi= 54c
    Strava app = 81c

Total cal 822
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Wow Pip will be thinking of you tomorrow. It will be an enlightening day. I think you will thoroughly enjoy and hope new kids just adapt.

Mom and Dad both in Army in WWII. My favorite uncle also in Army. Four of my God children in Army and Airforce and my brother in Vietnam.... and he didn't come home the man he was before. My husband in the Airforce and my first fiancé in the Marines. What a wonderful country we live in and these are trying times.

Heather, great pictures of your travels. Keep them coming. What a joy.

Allie, your pictures of Miles make me smile. What a cutie,

Aw Lisa, your words made me teary. Thanks for understanding.

Betsy in NW WA

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Worked, then soup kitchen, then stopped at WalMart. Still not sure if Jess and her friend are coming. In a way I hope so, I have all the food ready

M – you know, and I know, that tacos don’t have to be spicy. Just the word “taco” will be enough for him not to eat it. Any spices at all, regardless of how mild it may be, forget it. Guacamole????? Are you kidding? Corn and carrots, those are the ONLY veges. Forget beans. Cheese (unless it’s on pizza), and salsa….no way on this green earth. Thanks for trying. What was wrong with the way Vince’s company worked? Even the owners adhered to that. It is the largest privately held company. This way if someone set a meeting for 9:30, they can be assured people would be there at 9:30 and not stroll in late. So what’s wrong with that? How is that mistreating an employee? If you don’t get your punctuality bonus, it’s your own fault. How is making an employee take personal responsibility for their actions mistreating them? Vince was one of the short-term employees at 28 years. Most employees had been with the company for 30, 40, even 50 years.

Lanette – I just downloaded that book. Unfortunately, I could only get it as an audiobook. But on the bright side...I can listen while I’m taking a walk.

Speaking of which: it keeps spritzing and then raining and then spritzing and then raining. I probably won’t be going for a walk tonight (boo). It’s probably for the best in case Jess and her friend come here.

Looks like we just finished decorating the trees. Now to take the totes back out to the garage to store until after Christmas.

Karen – I so believe in the power of the mind to heal yourself. Oh, there are times when you absolutely need medical intervention. But I honestly don’t think you need it as often as some people feel they do. In the 28 years Vince was a manager at that company, he only missed work one day, and that’s because a state of emergency had been declared so it was unlawful to be on the road. If there’s bad weather, you take responsibility and leave early if you need to

I just posted a note on Facebook to my neighbor (the one who was in Afghanistan) thanking him for his service and also thanking his family for their sacrifices. Thank you everyone who served and their families. My father served in the African Theatre in WWII

Katla – I bet your daughter taking your hubby to her home was probably the best medicine he could have gotten

Betsy – yea for no new tumors and shrunken ones! (((HUG)))

We finally got my ceramic fishing fish finished. Here’s the picture. Had to put the fishing line and lure on it. Now I have to make a small fish so it looks like this fish is fishing.

Jess just called. Her Friend and she aren’t coming down. Now to figure out what to return to the store.

Michele NC

rb3r9t5w2qcq.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – you know, and I know, that tacos don’t have to be spicy. Just the word “taco” will be enough for him not to eat it. Any spices at all, regardless of how mild it may be, forget it. Guacamole????? Are you kidding? Corn and carrots, those are the ONLY veges. Forget beans. Cheese (unless it’s on pizza), and salsa….no way on this green earth. Thanks for trying. What was wrong with the way Vince’s company worked? Even the owners adhered to that. It is the largest privately held company. This way if someone set a meeting for 9:30, they can be assured people would be there at 9:30 and not stroll in late. So what’s wrong with that? How is that mistreating an employee? If you don’t get your punctuality bonus, it’s your own fault. How is making an employee take personal responsibility for their actions mistreating them? Vince was one of the short-term employees at 28 years. Most employees had been with the company for 30, 40, even 50 years.

In the 28 years Vince was a manager at that company, he only missed work one day, and that’s because a state of emergency had been declared so it was unlawful to be on the road. If there’s bad weather, you take responsibility and leave early if you need to

Michele NC

I'm thankful that I've worked in the places I have. :heart:

I don't know if times have changed or if it is a country difference or the type of employment, but most of the places I've worked, and even more so, the organisations I've worked with since I moved to Australia, have put an emphasis on work/life balance and "happy employees are productive employees".

So we have flexible work arrangements, lots of holiday time with options to take more, and a lot of personal leave for illness, mental health, caring responsibilities, etc. I presume Vince got and took days for those things. :)

I have really, really appreciated the flexibility, especially over the past almost-5 years since I've become a carer. As a carer, I'm never quite sure what's going to happen one day to the next.

We take pride in doing our job and meeting our deadlines, not how many days we turned up to work. We know when our meetings are. If it is important that we attend either in person or via TEAMS, we'll be there, or if necessary and possible, we'll take the responsibility to change the meeting day/time. We don't need the threat of docking our pay to provide incentive. This goes back to the meeting discussion - if we have a meeting, it's to discuss an issue that has come up and all the participants are interested in attending because they've all got an interest in the issue.

There is also an emphasis on not working outside our work hours ... not taking work home with us. I struggle with that a little bit because I get work emails at home, and I have to tell myself not to read my emails on the evenings, weekends, and holidays.

Many of the people I've worked with have been there a long time, and I don't see myself leaving the overall organisation any time soon. I've been there almost 10 years. When I hit 10 years, I get long-service leave!!! :smiley: Even more time off!!! :heart:

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Stepped on the scale today, and I'm down 3.8 kg (8.4 lbs) from my highest weight in August. Progress is slow, but that's OK.

I've started climbing more stairs at work again. Our new office has 4 flights of stairs but yesterday, I did 13 flights throughout the day. I think that's helping the weight loss.

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Stepped on the scale today, and I'm down 3.8 kg (8.4 lbs) from my highest weight in August. Progress is slow, but that's OK.

I've started climbing more stairs at work again. Our new office has 4 flights of stairs but yesterday, I did 13 flights throughout the day. I think that's helping the weight loss.

M in Oz

great job!!
  • Machka9
    Options
    xj7rt28wmqpl.png
    8r5r80nsp2f2.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    ~~
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »

..."grief is a strange journey and I know I'll get through it. Some days I feel I'm coping well and then some days the emotions overwhelm me and I miss Jack like his death was yesterday and I get weepy and sad. It's different than when my 20 year old son died. That was like eight years of darkness and forever a hole in my heart. This is different and I have family and friends who care for me... It is just that forever missing a loved one is such a long time."

Betsy in NW WA

Eloquently said
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Military family - Lots!
    Gramps was in the Army WWI. He had no middle name, which was required, so they gave him a middle initial of "S". He kept it after leaving the Army. His middle name was S. lol
    Other Grandad was in the Army.
    Uncle Gerald was in the Army.
    Uncle Wes was assigned to a mine sweeper in WWII. Dangerous duty.
    Dad was a doctor in the Navy.
    My spouse's mom was in the Women's Auxiliary Army Corp.
    Her dad was in the Army.
    My first husband was in the Navy.
    My second husband was career Army.

Love,
    Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sea day today. Painting and dancing. DH is not liking the swell, so I will probably be dancing by myself. :'(
    We had a long discussion last night about not being codependent on each others moods. I had a lower afternoon and evening and he finds that hard to deal with. Good discussion.
    Sometimes the folk on the ship depress me. Hard to have a great chat with most and I am used to my own company and choices. I was feeling a bit over stretched in the polite interest department. :p We have almost nothing in common with most guests. Good job we like each other!

Love Heather, rounding the southern tip of Portugal. Xxxxxx

You've pointed out a few reasons I don't like the idea of cruise ships.

1) The swell. I get seasick very easily.

2) The other people on the ship.

3) That I like my own choices.

That said, I would LOVE to travel by train.

We are hoping to do one or more of these train journeys one day.

https://www.journeybeyondrail.com.au/journeys/indian-pacific/

I'm glad you're enjoying your trip!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Today's bicycle ride ...

hzg197vtfs32.png