WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,027 Member
    edited November 2022
    Grocery run completed and groceries stowed away. We also went to our local outdoor market and bought some really fresh veg. We’ve been dissatisfied with the quality in our local supermarket recently.

Heather: I always find it difficult to get back to routine after holidays. I did enjoy your travelogue.

Machka: I hope all goes well with the surgery. DH has had that done. They took the graft skin from his thigh. I like the idea of Lindor truffles as gifts.

Gifts: We give small gifts to older family members, and larger, more personal gifts to daughters. The grands get a small gift, and some money to treat themselves. I exchange small gifts with one friend. We don’t give gifts to tradesmen.

November Gratitude:
    1. smell. Vanilla ice cream
    2. technology. Internet - access to y’all
    3. colour. Golden tones of autumn
    4. food. Mussels in white wine
    5. sound. The sound of DH in the kitchen making morning tea
    6. nature. Woodland and mountains
    7. memory. Holding my 11 day old DGD on Christmas morning 1994
    8. book. All books 😝
    9. place. My garden
    10. taste. Chocolate
    11. holiday. Cruise to Norway to see the Northern lights. We did so many things on that cruise.
    12. texture. There are so many textures, but I love the sleek silkiness of my hair when it is newly washed.
    13. abilities. I find it invaluable to be able to concentrate and focus on the positive, and use my analytical acumen. I can bring it to bear in finding the positive in unhelpful events. Learn from experience, so to speak.
    14. sight. Literally grateful for my sight. I only have good sight in one eye due to a birth defect in the optical nerve in my left eye. I don’t miss what I never had, but am super aware of the importance of my one good eye.
    15. season. Spring is my fav season. It’s a symbol of renewal.
    16. about your body. My sturdy strength, and the ability to heal quickly.
    17. knowledge.
    18. piece of art.
    19. touch.
    20. who.
    21. song.
    22. story.
    23. tradition.
    24. challenge.
    25. moment this week.
    26. form of expression.
    27. daily use item.
    28. what happen today.
    29. friend/family member.
    30. talent or skill

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,294 Member
    :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    edited November 2022
    Rosemarie I am feeding DrewB a raw diet now. It is a balanced and species appropriate diet. Vets are like doctors who have little nutritional training unless they pursue it. They rely on the big food companies who come into their office and promote their wares. I found it interesting that when many of DrewB's numbers showed improvement and I said I changed her diet he did not ask what diet I am using. Her weight is perfect for her size 12.2 pounds. Being the right weight helps with her autoimmune and her leg issues. I also believe the leg and autoimmune are related. Both are caused by inflammation in the body. He also said she continues to have a slight heart murmur. He took the reading right after they took blood. I could tell very stressful for her especially since they took it from her foot. She was very brave. I did comment on this but he said nothing. I have been looking into finding another vet. It is like looking for a doctor. The medical system is swamped. The vet I wanted to see is not taking any new patients. Hence that is why I am looking outside the box.

As I wrote inflammation is the root cause for DrewB issues. I realize this is the root cause for some of my issues. I carry too much weight around my middle and I have 10-20 pounds of excess weight. Learning what helps DrewB makes me stop and think what can I do to reduce unhealthy inflammation in me. Inflammation is healthy if you have a physical wound that needs healing.

What I can do to reduce unhealthy inflammation:
    1. See through my denial when I make a poor choice
    2. Give myself space when confronted by an unhealthy situation. I am not just talking about the recent situation with my husband.
    3. Create space in my life and home so I can be open to a more healthy life style.
    4. Find win win solutions to a problem.
    5. Add foods that support my body like home made bone broth, green veggies, good quality meats.
    6. Add movement and stretches I enjoy when I can
    7. Add interesting conversation with friends and family i.e. political free zone
    8. Listen to my body and give it rest when needed. As part of this call for rest I will continue to find ways to calm myself so that my rest is truly restorative.
    9. Question products I use on me and our home to make sure they are not adding toxins to my environment.

Terri I give out Thank you Target cards to Tradesman. I appreciate that they do the work I am not able to do.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,318 Member
    Christmas gifts I just ran across a nice Christmas card I received from a favorite engineers I once worked with. Shirley was a true minimalist. She never gave any "obligatory" gifts but smiled and always had a hearty "thank you" if someone gave her a gift. She probably re-gifted it immediately, lol. She made Marie Kondo look like a hoarder. :p

I give gift cards to the mail carrier and my cleaner. Mail carrier is great about getting out of her vehicle, no matter what the weather, and depositing packages on my porch. Plus she has a great smile and is a fun person. Much like my cleaner :D

Vicki - hope your back is feeling better. I think Chiropractors can be helpful.

Margaret - I really like your list of strategies to reduce inflammation. So glad to hear Drew is improving in some areas. You are a great mom to her.

Rosemarie - according to my Kill A Watt experiment, I doubt your LED light costs even a dollar per month. Back when I was working, my health plan paid for an eye exam and new lenses each year, and new frames every 2 years. I took advantage of it. I found a couple more pairs of glasses in my car - the storage compartments for glasses on the ceiling above the dashboard! I hadn't worm THEM for years, lol. I'm going to cancel the order for new frames and they can put new lenses in these. I think I'll be fine and if any allergy stuff - I'll try the clear nail polish.

Flea
    - so happy to hear your DH has been stepping up in the care department. Your companion kitty is such a joy. We look forward to your updates and are happy you are doing well. <3

I managed to get the wood all put away yesterday. Everyplace stuffed to the gills. Greenhouse, woodshed, potting shed, office near heater where kitty hangs out.

Planning a walk with my neighbor this morning. She had skin cancer surgery on Monday, a little spot beneath her left eye - she said he removed a lot more skin than she expected and she's a mess. We'll see.

Make it a good day!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where it's foggy and 25f right now. Chilly burger!

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    When is he due for leave, Rebecca? I certainly hope he visits you and apologizes for his lack of communication. Your oldest son though. . . He is so precious and attentive, and your middle son keeps you updated on that darling granddaughter, so you raised them right.

I hope the heat situation gets straightened out.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Kim-I did read your post. I applaud you for having that tough conversation with your mom. I don't think anyone intended to make you feel badly. We are just all here for various health reasons and sweets are hard to resist, so our brains go right to "how can I avoid this very thing over the holidays." I am sure your mom feels that by giving them, people will always remember her fondly over the holidays, so cutting down must be difficult.

I cook a lot for my family and I don't think they really enjoy it, but are afraid to say so. So, after my recent trip with them to Phoenix, I decided I am not making food for them anymore. They are all just too picky (in my opinion) and stuck in their ways--for better or worse. Less work (it's exhausting) for me and they can eat however they want and not feel obligated to compliment my "talent." It's disappointing because cooking is my hobby and others I share with love it.

Tina in CA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,927 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    [

All the best on the biopsies. Having just gone through that part, I don't envy you!

M in Oz

After what you talked about/what you went through with yours, I didn't sleep well last night.
    Got there and he decided to just do two spots instead of four so he could stitch them. Not enough room to do four and stitch them the way he would like. The numbing shot was all I felt and it wasn't very bad at all. I am sure when that wears off that it will start hurting but, at least for now, it is not bad. Will take it easy for the evening. Go back Monday to get the stitches out.

I'm glad it went well.

I got two very painful numbing shots in my nose with mine. The first went in quite high up and WOW did that hurt. The second wasn't quite as bad. Once they took it was OK.

I got my stitches out after a week.

I think one of the worst parts was that my whole nose swelled up, and I wear glasses so I had headaches every day for the first week or 10 days.

Also the spot has taken ages to heal but that isn't surprising given that it is cancer and that is one of the symptoms. Same with my hip biopsy.

But my third biopsy which was the biggest one was not cancer and it is just about healed.

M in Oz
    What you have had to go through is so much worse than what I had yesterday.
    I am sorry and hope they get it all removed soon so you can totally heal.
    I had the two numbing shots- first one I felt but barely anything with the second.
    No swelling at all (I wear glasses too).
    He did the whole thing with my mask on, just moved it under my nose and some gauze around so they didn't get blood on my mask. Thirty minutes instead of forty-five beings they just did the two spots and not the four.
    This morning it hurts a little when I am up but not too bad.
    I haven't taken the bandage off yet so haven't seen it. I will this evening when I change it.
    I can take a shower tonight(couldn't last night)- just have to gently let the water run on it and pat dry. No rubbing

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,794 Member
    16. about your body. That it repairs itself when I eat correctly. (Good report from doc yesterday)
    17. knowledge.
    18. piece of art.
    19. touch.
    20. who.
    21. song.
    22. story.
    23. tradition.
    24. challenge.
    25. moment this week.
    26. form of expression.
    27. daily use item.
    28. what happen today.
    29. friend/family member.
    30. talent or skill

RvRita in NM
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,294 Member
    edited November 2022
    KIM ~ I love reading your posts! We all come from so many backgrounds with no many ingrained differences, it is sometimes hard not to express our opinions. One of the things I am working on is trying to be more compassionate and unjudgmental. It's not an easy thing though!

Carol in GA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,927 Member
    Rosemarie I am feeding DrewB a raw diet now. It is a balanced and species appropriate diet. Vets are like doctors who have little nutritional training unless they pursue it. They rely on the big food companies who come into their office and promote their wares. I found it interesting that when many of DrewB's numbers showed improvement and I said I changed her diet he did not ask what diet I am using. Her weight is perfect for her size 12.2 pounds. Being the right weight helps with her autoimmune and her leg issues. I also believe the leg and autoimmune are related. Both are caused by inflammation in the body. He also said she continues to have a slight heart murmur. He took the reading right after they took blood. I could tell very stressful for her especially since they took it from her foot. She was very brave. I did comment on this but he said nothing. I have been looking into finding another vet. It is like looking for a doctor. The medical system is swamped. The vet I wanted to see is not taking any new patients. Hence that is why I am looking outside the box.

As I wrote inflammation is the root cause for DrewB issues. I realize this is the root cause for some of my issues. I carry too much weight around my middle and I have 10-20 pounds of excess weight. Learning what helps DrewB makes me stop and think what can I do to reduce unhealthy inflammation in me. Inflammation is healthy if you have a physical wound that needs healing.

What I can do to reduce unhealthy inflammation:
    1. See through my denial when I make a poor choice
    2. Give myself space when confronted by an unhealthy situation. I am not just talking about the recent situation with my husband.
    3. Create space in my life and home so I can be open to a more healthy life style.
    4. Find win win solutions to a problem.
    5. Add foods that support my body like home made bone broth, green veggies, good quality meats.
    6. Add movement and stretches I enjoy when I can
    7. Add interesting conversation with friends and family i.e. political free zone
    8. Listen to my body and give it rest when needed. As part of this call for rest I will continue to find ways to calm myself so that my rest is truly restorative.
    9. Question products I use on me and our home to make sure they are not adding toxins to my environment.

My mom went on a very strict anti-inflammitory diet- I don't remember all of it but there was so much she wasn't supposed to eat-
    No grains, no night shade vegetables(tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant,...) no caffeine
    There was more but I can't remember right now.
    She did loose quite a bit of weight. Actually lost too much, getting 20lbs under what her doctor said was an ideal weight for her.
    She is still careful about what she is eating but not so super strict like she was.
    She isn't sure if the weight loss helped with the pain in her knees or the food choices or the fact that it was summer time and she has more pain in the winter. She isn't going to that specialest anymore(her new insurance doesn't cover it plus it is an hour away and was going twice a week)
    She wanted to try everything before going in for surgery- she still hasn't agreed to surgery but knows she will be better after it.

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,794 Member
    I went for my bloodwork review yesterday and came out really good. I was happy with the result. I picked up this info while there and thought I would share. I hope you can enlarge to read this. Anti-inflammatory and immune booster foods:
    kdwhmgrfqyra.jpeg
    ra9d9hwrsl7c.jpeg
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,318 Member
    Kim- I too picked up that you did a great job in getting the cookie baking under control and dealing with your mom's reluctance. Sorry I didn't give you a positive comment at the time. Good work!! <3

Lanette B)