January 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,129 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the tracker @martaindale ! What time do the races start? Sounded like really early since you said you would be getting up at 2:30 am.

5k and 10k start at 5:30. HM and full at 5:00. It's an early day!

@Laurz9191 I also used higdon plans for my first few HM. I found them super approachable and easy to follow.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA I'm a big fan of oatmeal. Banana. Bagel-PB. I just avoid greasy or heavy. And I don't do eggs unless I have a couple of hours.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    January Goal: 100 Miles

1/1: 10.50 miles
    1/3: 6.02 miles

16.52-/100 miles completed for January

When I got ready to post today's run, I noticed that yesterday's post was still sitting in drafts. So I will post it now and post today's run in a few minutes. 🙂
    It was a beautiful morning for running and I ran 6 miles. It was a little chillier than I expected. The weather app said 51°F so I wore shorts and a t-shirt. I was really dressed ok, I just kind of wished I had worn gloves. But other than my hands being cold the weather was great.

I was scared by a dog starting out about half a block from my house. He ran at me barking and I yelled "go away, go away, go away" . And honestly that seemed to scare him and he ran off.

I saw three deer by the park. They crossed the road in front of me and then stopped to watch me pass. As I passed I noticed two other deer on the other side of the road. I ran between them. It was really cool.

As I neared home, I was nervous that the strange dog would still be there, but he was not. There was another dog out, but zhe's a dog I am familiar with and I kind of felt like he would protect me if the strange dog was there.

It has been a really busy day at work. I am going to post this and then go back and try to catch up on all the comments.

exercise.png

• Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 411 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello everyone! Thank you for all the suggestions. It seems like Hal Higdon got the most votes @eleanorhawkins @martaindale @kgirlhart @schnaber. I will also take a look at Matt Fitzgerald @quilteryoyo.

So actually, I hadn't thought much about what I did last time to train, but it's kind of an interesting story. At the time I was still a student here and I was living in a shared flat with the 2 best runners in the city (male & female). They really whipped me into shape within just a few months, and I kind of just roughly followed their training plan. I asked a lot of questions and did a much slower and easier version of what they did, when I felt like it. I also went and cheered them on at a couple of races, which really motivated me to race as well. I remember one race, where they each ran (and won) the 5K and 10K races. The prize there was not a sausage, but rather they got to pick out a pair of shoes, so they went home with 4 additional pairs of shoes. I thought that was pretty cool. Alas, I only lived with them for a year, so now I am in need of some other training ideas besides what I have in my head ;).

@quilteryoyo I have been researching running watches for a long time, and finally decided to go with the Garmin Fenix7S. I can't tell you yet if I think that is a good thing, because my watch is still telling me that I am doing too much, even though, I don't think that I am. So if I go with Hal Higdon, I might be criticized for not following the plan to a T and from my watch. This could get interesting... Maybe my watch is still getting to know me and needs some time to adjust?

Good luck not sweating until tomorrow! Just one more day!

@Fit2btied2016 I like your idea of running with the sausage but unfortunately I gave away my prize! My husband and kids don't eat pork and I thought devouring a whole salami by myself might not be the best New Year's Resolution, so I found it a good home and gave it to a friend.

@scott6255 I'm sorry the lottery didn't work out! It was worth a try though.

@martaindale Your 5K race must be starting now/soon! Good luck!

So I just joined Strava when I set up my watch. If anyone wants to add me, please feel free to! https://www.strava.com/athletes/112077321 .

Today, I decided once again to "mostly" listen to my watch. I did its suggested run at the suggested pace which was only 36 minutes, which lead me to my half way mark and then I did 3x 1Km at my max "alone" running speed in windy rain. After each interval I went back to running at my watch's suggested pace for a total of 11.1Km. My watch still didn't seem too happy with me afterwards and wants me to spend 65 hours for recovery! I do plan to take tomorrow off from running, so we'll see if the two of us are on the same page after that.

exercise.png
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Jan 1 – 7.02 miles
    Jan 2 – 3 miles
    Jan 3 – 5.1 miles
    Jan 5 – 3.02 miles

Last night the weather app said it would be 43F at 5 am this morning but when I got out of the car it was 37F. I was a little underdressed, but after we got moving I was fine so in actuality I was probably dressed appropriately. Our route got cut short when one of the ladies tripped and fell. Pretty sure she broke her nose. Lots of blood involved. Luckily, there were 4 of us running this morning and while I and another girl ran back and got my car she had someone to stay with her. Thankfully, she didn’t hit her mouth or any other part of her face and head. Only one small cut on her leg. We took her home and she’s going to call her regular doctor to get his advice.

@bmolde99 – I’ve heard good things about Grandma’s Marathon. Looking forward to following your training and hearing about your experience at the race.

@Fit2btied2016 – Like @martaindale, I’m a fan of the Brooks Ghosts. I have a wide foot and their wide fits me well. I’ve tried the Hoka zero drop shoes before and have always ended up injured so I’ve decided they are not for me.

Congratulations on the first one @martaindale! Love that medal! Enjoy your day!
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    @martaindale - love the medal! Your four Disney themed medals are gonna look so cool
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @Laurz9191 it will take the watch a while to really understand you, but will still sometimes do that stuff. Also, I think it's mostly to do with your HR, I have had to plug more accurate zones into both of mine as they were way off. Also, if you don't use a chest strap, the wrist HR readings are notoriously bad, especially if it's too loose. Or too tight. Or the wind is blowing the wrong way. I nicknamed mine Garmeen the drama queen because of all the judgy stuff 🤣
    @Fit2btied2016 when I went to a store for gait analysis they gave me a pair of Brooks Glycerin to try on and I fell in love, they were like running on clouds. I need lots of cushion. But, they were a bit too expensive for me, so they gave me a few more to try and I ended up in Adidas Solarglides. I would never have thought to try an Adidas shoe for running if they hadn't suggested them. I still have a pair in rotation for the rare times I run on roads. When I started running trails my coach recommended Hoka Speedgoats, which are lower drop but super thick, cushioned soles. Felt like walking on stilts at first, but I can go for hours over rocks in them. I was lucky not to have any trouble with the difference in drop. Then because I still haven't forgotten how comfortable those Brooks felt, I decided to try a pair of Cascadias (trail shoe) and I'm liking their thinner sole for tricky descents as I can feel the ground more, but can't go over 2 hours in them without getting hot spots. Then as my road shoes are getting old and I like the trail Hokas I went for a pair of Bondis. They are nice and spongy for easy runs, but narrower than the Adidas. I also put them on out of the box and went 13 miles in them, not the best idea, gave me a few blisters. They're breaking in nicely on shorter shake out runs atm. So, I'm currently running in 4 different shoes. My husband will freak out if he ever notices 🤣
    @martaindale ugh to those early starts, but SO COOL AND AWESOME. Go, girl!