NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday All!

Weighed in at WW today. Was down 7 pounds from the last weigh in. Down 12 lbs total. Whoohoo! If I keep this up I’ll be back under 200 lbs in no time. I haven’t had ice cream or soda in like 3 weeks. Probably helping me by not eating that stuff. I might just limit the ice cream to the weekends and once it’s out just use my ninja ice cream maker so I have control over what is in it. Ordered one of those Rachel rays oil and vinegar things. Planning on cooking a lot more this year and following a Mediterranean/anti-inflammatory diet, cut way back on added sugars. Exercise a lot more. Make use of my free membership to the gym through my employer.

And wish me luck! I have an interview for a position in another department this week. Not sure if I will take it as it would be same pay and I rechecked the posting and OT wouldn’t be time and a half as it is now and I am not sure if I would get OT in the new position. I really can’t take a pay cut. But at least I’ll get some interview practice in for when the right position with the right salary comes along.
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    cbabie wrote: »
    Morning all, wow yesterday was a lazy day...I was sleepy all day. I think it's the new medicine I am on. We will see..have to be more active today. I feel energized right now, so have to do exercises when I am done here. LOL. I wasn't even really hungry yesterday, so it has to be the new medicine. :sweat_smile:

@trooworld I will wave back as you come into AZ. Hopefully we have good weather when you get here. LOL

Cbabie

Hope all is well!

@trooworld Your salad sounds good. I don't like goat cheese that's why if I ever made it there would be feta cheese on my plate. Woohoo on working out on your lunch hour. You sound like things are coming together for you. That's great.

@senoritafloridita That's awesome that you are going to be training for race.

@cbabie Did you exercise yesterday? No I don't like goat cheese, but I like goat meat. If you like antiques, look in the mirror. :p Yes I know, brat!

I had a busy day yesterday. Bookclub: We discussed Of Women and Salt. Then did a webinar on Mindset. Then did some errands.

I still met my goals though. Stayed within my carb boundaries but went over on calories by 100. Water goal met. 300+ burned calories. Today I'm doing nothing.

What is that book about? How did webinar go?

Tamevv wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I’m in the bush again so reception is patchy. Been eating more carbs and fats than usual but doing lots of activity so will see how it pans out I guess. Loving the calm and quiet here.

For the record I like the crumbly feta and goats cheeses, but not the overly salty ones like danish 😊

All the talk about heart rates got me thinking so I did some research into my max and what it should be for each zone and so on. Happy to see my usual workouts put me pretty much were I should be. It’s reassuring to know I’m doing the right things. Gives me some ideas for future goals though, regarding monitoring my activities. I know I don’t use half of what the Apple Watch is capable of, so might try to tap into that.

@trooworld I’m envious of your salads. Lots of inspiration for when I’m home.

@cbabie Hi!!!!! 👋 😁. How’d the exercises go??

@senioritafloridita Race sounds exciting and motivating. When is it? We can cheer you on 😊

Have a good time in the bush! Those cheeses are good 😊 I’m going to be looking up my heart rate as well. Lol
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Morning all, I tracked yesterday and was under calories, did some exercises but no walking, other than throughout my home. LOL. But I see a habit forming LOL (good one).

@trooworld oxtails sounds awful, stop and get a burger on the way...LOL. I am like you, I don't use my watch as I should..I have the Samsung Galaxy too. I was just looking at my protein bars I order from GNC, I miss not eating them...You are doing great

@tamevv I love that you are out at the bush...no camping for me though..I imagine it's peaceful and if it's what helps you to enjoy life and relax, yea for you. My DH hates that I really just don't like outdoors. We are so totally different. LOL. I love Feta cheese too!

@theslightedgeforever I think I just lost my cookies.. I am just not a meat eater...too vivid of imagination for me. That's why I don't like fish unless its fish sticks..if it looks like what it is...NOT...LOL

Cbabie
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi all...I have been around, just not posting. I prefer to type on the home computer, but just haven't been logging in on it much.

@trooworld Did you have oxtails? I have heard they can be good if cooked right? Good job with your exercise. I have looked at the American Heart Assn for heart rate ranges for my age & try to stick to them when walking on treadmill. Not sure I have ever had goat cheese, unless dd has given it to me when there. Her Dr was trying to get her to go (cow) dairy free for awhile, so might have had it.

@cbabie Good job walking around the house, any movement is good. I love fish, but can't stand fish sticks, lol. Too much breading usually. Great job tracking & staying under calories.

@tamevv Bush camping sounds fun. We used to have a pull behind RV when the girls were young & really had fun. Not sure I would be a great tent camper tho. I'm sure the exercise will help offset the carbs & fats.

@gemwolf Wow, you are doing great with WW!! Good luck with the interview. Your talk of the real Christmas tree brought back memories of the last one we had. It was a "cut your own type", and after getting it home & set up, dh got so sick he ended up at the ER. We think it must have had some poison ivy around it & he is really allergic to it! Next year we had an artificial one for sure! It's getting old now, tho, & some of the lights didn't work this year. I strung another string on it to fill in, but by the time we took it down, more were out. I really hate to buy another big one, because who knows how long we will keep putting up a big one. (not getting younger, lol)

@theslightedge forever Your soup sounds good. I am trying to come up with a soup recipe to take to a soup supper next Sat. We decided each Core Team member should make a crockpot of soup rather than make a few big pots at church. Can't decide what kind, and now everyone else is bringing all the usual ones, so still thinking about it. I have a chicken taco one that we like, but someone is bringing chicken tortilla, so sounds like it might be similar. Kinda thinking of broccoli cheddar or Wisconsin cheese. It would be different that the meat ones. You have been doing a good job getting back with your carb balancing & exercise.

December was a big bust for me, kept tracking, but just didn't care if I stayed in my boundaries or not. Then we went to OK for New Years until the 9th, and that is never better, lol. I don't feel like I really eat that much more there, but when I log it, I have. Started back with my walking on Tues tho & have been doing better with eating (& drinking water, too). Wed we had dentist appointment, mine was fine, dh needs some work, lol. (We knew he did, got an abcess tooth when we were OK, that was fun, not!)

Not sure if I caught a stomach bug (or if my sweet potato was not good-part of it tasted fine, but part of it was terrible & it was all one potato with nothing else.(?) Anyway, by the time I went to bed, I had such a stomach ache & spent the next 4 hours or so being sick. So Thurs I didn't eat much...I finally got the message when I closed out that I hadn't eaten enough, lol. I have never gotten that before!! Still being pretty careful with my eating because of that, so I am staying in my boundaries better. Not starting my walking & "senior" exercises again until next week, tho, so I really have to watch my food, because I usually do eat back at least some (or mostly all, lol) of my exercise calories that MFP gives me.

Well, not much more for now. Hope everyone has a great week.
  • Tamevv
    Tamevv Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever Hahaha, glad you thought it was as random as I do. And your hubbys right, most of them have had their noses broken!! They aren’t the brightest group of men around 😉. So we call that “football” but we also play “soccer” which is what the Europeans call “football” - the one where they put their shirts up over their heads and run around like crazies when they get a goal. Haha, I don’t know what they call the finger thing but I know what you mean. It’s one hand if it’s a “point” and two hands if it’s a “goal”.

@trooworld We have a bush property but can only come in the summer cause it snows heavily and we aren’t set up for tat yet. We just have swags and a small shed to keep tools and some basic staples. All cooking is over fire. We have some grand plans but who knows. I just love being away. I go hiking with kids and dog every day, he always finds echidnas to harass and ends up rubbing the black skin off his lips so looks silly for a week after every camp.

@gemwolf110 I’m off to look up “Rachel rays oil and vinegar things” ーintrigued 😁. Good luck with the job interview.

@cbabie Yeah I’m more outdoors-ey than DH, and sometimes I feel like I’m dragging him around, but I’ve decided I don’t care. I’m getting more confident to just do things on my own.

@RetiredAndLovingIt Ugh I had an abscess once - the worst pain! I’m quite paranoid of ever getting it again so any ache in my mouth makes me so nervous now.

On that note I’m off to read a bit. Heading home tomorrow and actually looking forward to doing a step workout on Tuesday!

Night all.
  • gemwolf110
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Tamevv wrote: »
    @theslightedgeforever Hahaha, glad you thought it was as random as I do. And your hubbys right, most of them have had their noses broken!! They aren’t the brightest group of men around 😉. So we call that “football” but we also play “soccer” which is what the Europeans call “football” - the one where they put their shirts up over their heads and run around like crazies when they get a goal. Haha, I don’t know what they call the finger thing but I know what you mean. It’s one hand if it’s a “point” and two hands if it’s a “goal”.

@trooworld We have a bush property but can only come in the summer cause it snows heavily and we aren’t set up for tat yet. We just have swags and a small shed to keep tools and some basic staples. All cooking is over fire. We have some grand plans but who knows. I just love being away. I go hiking with kids and dog every day, he always finds echidnas to harass and ends up rubbing the black skin off his lips so looks silly for a week after every camp.

@gemwolf110 I’m off to look up “Rachel rays oil and vinegar things” ーintrigued 😁. Good luck with the job interview.

@cbabie Yeah I’m more outdoors-ey than DH, and sometimes I feel like I’m dragging him around, but I’ve decided I don’t care. I’m getting more confident to just do things on my own.

@RetiredAndLovingIt Ugh I had an abscess once - the worst pain! I’m quite paranoid of ever getting it again so any ache in my mouth makes me so nervous now.

On that note I’m off to read a bit. Heading home tomorrow and actually looking forward to doing a step workout on Tuesday!

Night all.

Thank you! Will let everyone know how it went. This is what I ordered

rz38iqtbzdp1.jpeg

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,912 Member
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever Funny thing is that everyone wanted to reschedule because of the rain, so we didn't go! LOL My husband made something unhealthy for dinner: pizza casserole (think bread, cheese, pepperoni, tomato sauce). Tasty, but not helping my journey. Yes, just what it sounds like lol. A lot of people like it but not me. Yeah I go to Tucson nearly every year. It's nice but I'm there for work so I really don't get to have fun lol. I would like to see those things, too. I'm glad you liked Of Women and Salt. You make me think I should buy a physical book rather than the Kindle copy so that I can see the genealogy chart easier. Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. A lot of things about refugees/immigration don't make any sense though, like how certain countries have an easier time immigrating vs others. I think it has to do with racism and perceptions but I guess that's a topic for another time lol. I hope you really enjoyed the rest day!

@gemwolf110 Wow, congratulations! That is awesome! Yes, that's probably helping but I'm sure you are doing other things to help your journey too. Sounds like you have great plans for the year. Good luck with your practice interview! I love your oil and vinegar carafes! Very stylish.

@cbabie Yay! Great job! :D Yeah, I was not looking forward to oxtails lol. I should make it a point to learn one new thing about my watch a day, then by the time the year is up, I'll know everything! Can you fit the protein bars into your daily caloric limit? Will they fit with your macros? Thanks, I appreciate your support! <3

@RetiredAndLovingIt Hi! Nice to "see" you! Yeah, I prefer the home computer too, not my phone. Too hard to tag people and keep up with the conversations. No, I didn't have them, more on that later. I've heard they can be good if cooked right but I don't want to try haha. I haven't looked at the American Heart Assn rates, I think I got mine from somewhere else or my phone, I'll have to go look. Okay, I just looked. Looks like I was even more above than I thought: my max is ~165 bpm! I'm glad I looked. I like goat cheese, it has a "tang" to it. At least you tracked in Dec. Yay for being back on track! Too bad about your hubby needing dental work. Have a great week, sorry about your stomach bug!

@Tamevv That's nice you have bush property. What is "tat"? HAHAHA! I had to look up echidnas, I didn't know what they were. Enjoy the rest of your bush time!

Hi all. Talking with @RetiredAndLovingIt above made me to go the American Heart Association's website and look up my actual target heart rate range. I was a bit off (I forget where I got my numbers but NOT from them), my max is actually lower. I am including the link as well as the chart. https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/fitness/fitness-basics/target-heart-rates Yesterday was pretty good, I ate a healthy breakfast and a so-so lunch and then I worked out even though I didn't feel like it. I kept slowing myself down so I didn't go too crazy in my heart rate range. 154 BPM was the max I achieved. We didn't end up going to our friends because everyone wanted to reschedule due to the rain. Lots of rain here yesterday, supposed to continue into today.

Water yesterday: 60 oz

My phrase for the year: "Every choice is another chance to change my health for the better."

3rrrks9zf3ab.png
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @gemwolf110 Look at you go. The little engine that could. You're doing great on your weight loss. The book was about different generations in a family and the mother/daughter ties. It starts in 1800 something. I forget. lol The first lady rolled cigars at a Cuban factory. Then it tells her story and the daughter comes along and then it goes along. There was a second mother/daughter combo introduced. It's basically how women are the force. In tough situations they have to keep going. There are alot of time jumps which was confusing to me. So I ignored when it was taking place and just concentrated on the characters and asked myself now who was this person's mother or daughter. Webinar was really good. I'm learning alot about mindsets.

@trooworld I took a screenshot of the genealogy chart and just kept referring to that when I need to while reading on the kindle. My heartrate totals on my Fitbit is based on my maximum minus resting heart rate. Right now I'm currently at 97 for fatburning 119 cardio and 145 for peak

@cbabie It's great that you are forming new habits. You've just not found the right outdoor activity yet. Didn't you ever eat the catfish mom used to fry up?

@RetiredAndLovingIt Glad to see you. Hope you are feeling better after that stomach bug. I've had those days where I track but not really cared what the numbers were. Consequence was weight gain. lol How's the weather where you are? I saw a video yesterday of a tent that sits on the top of the SUV roof and has solar panels in it. Plus the other side has a shade that pulls out. I guess those are for serious campers. unlike me.

@Tamevv That's a cute oil and vinegar set. When you camp do you just hike for exercise or what? I didn't even realize there was a one hand two hand thing. Now I see there is soccer and football.
    I thought an echidnas was some kind of jumping bug that makes noise. LOL

Wow that was alot to get through but glad everyone is checking in.

I stayed OP yesterday. Didn't exercise yesterday but burned my 300+ calories today on the treadmill. I'm getting better cause my last set of sprint is easier than when I started in September or October I think. Some days I couldn't finish. At the beginning of February I will move up the speeds/inclines. Water goal met.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Hi again, I am on the computer, so decided I need to try to be more supportive.

@gemwolf That oil & vinegar set are so pretty! I love the color.

@trooworld Yum, your pizza casserole sounds good. Just checked to see if your chart is the same I use (& it is!). I am off the chart agewise, lol. I just keep it pretty much below the 85% which is considered intense.

@tamevv Your poor dog & his lips. Dd's puppy rubbed the black off her nose (don't remember how), but Dd thought she looked so silly until it came back. We used to ride bikes a lot when we camped, but probably not possible in the bush. Most meals were over the campfire, too, unless raining.

@theslightedgeforever Yeah, that is a consequence of my not really caring, I have gained about 6# from my lowest last summer. & it is also really hard to start buckling down again, which I'm sure everyone knows. Ooh, catfish, the Legion we used to live by had catfish suppers. If cooked right it is so good, but can be muddy tasting if not.

Well, kind of a lazy Sunday. Think we are making a Costco run a little later. Dh wants pecans to make his cinnamon pecans.

I didn't tell you what a mess it was with dh's tooth. It started hurting Sat night, all day Sunday, so Monday (the legal holiday for the U.S.), I decided he needed to be checked. Got online to try to find a dentist, called a few & mostly got recorded message, but unless you were already a patient, they would not see him that day. So looked for a preferred (for insurance) Urgent Care, and insurance website down until that evening, so just went to one that Dd uses. They wouldn't take insurance because we were out of state, so paid the bill & will try to get reimbursed. Gave him antibiotics & pain pills. Later that day, he was chilling, fever, dizzy, etc, & Dd had me convinced he was getting septic, so off to ER. They checked for Covid, influenza. (not sure how to explain a chest x-ray for a toothache, but?) Anyway, no Covid, no influenza, and No, he was not getting septic, so just take the medicine and come back if not better in 3 days. What a day!!
  • trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever That sounds like a good formula. Good job staying OP. And already getting your exercise in this morning, good job! Sounds like you are off to a great day.

@RetiredAndLovingIt It was good but a bit unhealthy. :/ I'm glad I'm using the same chart as you. That sounds like a good plan you have. Cinnamon pecans sound amazing! I just ordered a snack mix of lightly chocolate-coated almonds called SkinnyDipped Almonds. I got them on Amazon. I love nuts! Wow, that does sound like a mess. Your poor hubby! I hope he's feeling better now.

Hi all. I decided to make yesterday a rest day with the exception of a moderate walk with my dog for 10 minutes in the morning. I'm feeling out about what kind of schedule I want to have for lifting and I don't think Sundays will be included, they feel like lazy days. I will lift today, I am off so I have no excuse! I made some really good Texas-style chili yesterday as it rained most of the day. My husband said it was in the top 5 meals I've ever made, so I will share the recipe: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/texas-chili/

Water yesterday: 50 oz

My phrase for the year: "Every choice is another chance to change my health for the better."
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @RetiredAndLovingIt What an ordeal with hubby's tooth. I know I'm always afraid I'll get sick or something when I visit dd. The chest Xray was to earn them more money. lol I hate the whole insurance thing. It should be easy. We pay premiums, you pay the bill.

@trooworld I made chili this week too. Except mine had beans. I had more carbs to spare last week. lol Fridays and Sundays are my chill days. So I usually don't exercise then unless for some reason I miss a different day and have to make it up.

Yesterday: I burned 309 calories. Stayed OP and drank all my water. I gained 0.1 lbs this week. sigh
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    I just realized I was over 3 carbs yesterday so not OP. Ugh
  • trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgedforever I love chili with beans, too. I just love chili lol. Yeah, I am still feeling out my schedule but I'm thinking Sundays for sure will be a chill day. You did great this week, don't let that gain get you down! You know the scale is fickle. :D p.s. 3 carbs is not the end of the world, you came very close!

Hi all. I worked out yesterday but other than that, I really didn't do too much. I may do a recovery workout tonight, I don't know. I am 41 mins short of my goal of 150 moderate to intense exercise minutes per week (the week starts over tomorrow). My weight has been bouncing up and down between the same 2 pounds depending on what I eat the night before. It's pretty frustrating. I'm hoping that the weightlifting will make a difference to see some real downward movement.

Water yesterday: 40 oz

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @trooworld How often do you weigh yourself? Those pesky two lbs can be really frustrating. I've been there.

I exercised yesterday but burned 150 calories so I will use one of my rest days to make up the other 150 cals. Cardio dance and stretching. Food was OP. Water goal met.
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    Hi all quick check in. Interview went great! Should hopefully hear results soon !
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    Good Morning!

Half way through the week!!

zyzklif98211.jpeg
  • trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever I weigh myself every day and I look at it over the period of a week, I know we fluctuate every day and I'm not concerned about the daily fluctuations so much, it's staying the same week after week. :( It is frustrating! Good job today.

@gemwolf110 That's great that your interview went well. I hope you do hear soon. Happy Hump Day! :D

Hi all. Yesterday was not great. I wanted to work out after work but when I pulled in the parking lot at home, my husband wanted me to take him to the store to get an easy meal (he hurt himself and it was his turn to cook). We got one of those Rana lasagnas and a salad pack. By the time we got home, I was getting hungry and not in the mood. That's okay because it was going to be a recovery workout and I can do it today (I wasn't planning on doing any exercise today).

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @gemwolf110 Fingers crossed on the job. I'm glad you feel confident about the interview. Yaay for Wednesday.

@trooworld So something needs changing to get over your plateau. What will that something be? Are you counting points still? How are you doing on a daily/weekly basis with that? What's your plan for today's exercise. Looks like you got in an additional 10 oz of water compared to the day before. Good for you.

Yesterday: Stayed OP with my carbs. I exercised but did not reach my 300. I burned 207. Water goal met. I got a WHOOSH on the scale today. It was down 2.8 lbs more. Feeling so much better than that 0.1gain I had earlier this week. My habits have been so good.

• Tamevv
    Tamevv Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I’ve actually started writing here a few times and tried to respond to comments, but I always get interrupted and then it never gets sent. So I’m just here saying hi and I’m still here 😊

Hope you are taking care of yourselves, Tam.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever The something is that I added exercise in. Yes, I am counting "bites" still. I am not doing well with that currently. My weight is down this morning. My weight is very sensitive to carbs. I was planning on doing the Tonal yesterday but it didn't work out because my husband is still injured and I got home at 5pm, I had to be on a webinar from 6-7pm, and I had to eat because I go to bed at 7pm. So, I cooked. My plan for today is to use the Tonal BUT...I woke up with a headache so that may not happen today, I don't know. I will take some Ibuprofen and hope for the best. Yeah, I still need to drink more water though. 50 oz is not enough. It is a constant struggle to get that in! :D Nice loss, congrats! That's great that your habits are good, keep it up!

Hi all. My husband's injury is throwing a monkey wrench into my plans (see above to slightedge). I'll just have to plan on cooking until he's over this injury. That means no nighttime workouts. But at least I know that the olive oil will be measured instead of guesstimated! :D