WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,866 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed Latin today. Had a great chat with a friend I hadn’t seen since November.

☘️ Terri

I took 2 semesters of Latin, way back when, and enjoyed it.

I've also taken at least 2 semesters of classical Greek.

Between the two, my spelling improved!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Machka-work place drama is something I will not miss!

Take care all,
    Ginny in Ohio

I'm not used to this level of workplace drama ... or really much workplace drama at all. For the most part I've worked in very quiet places where people barely talk to each other! That suits me just fine. :)

Where I am now, everyone is nice and reasonably quiet, but there is one person ... :neutral:

Being yelled at every other day is tiresome, but in some ways it's amusing because it's so absurd. Twice now she's yelled at me, "Why didn't you tell us you were going to make a mess of everything before you came here?" :lol::lol::lol:

Happily, she was very rude to me in front of a high level manager who didn't take too kindly to it. One hopes she might settle down.

M in Oz

I was the person that got yelled at nearly every day from clients when I worked in my previous career. It was the main reason I left and swore never to go back unless I will be living on the street otherwise. Though I might prefer to swallow my pride and move in with my mom before I'd go back to that. It sucks the life out of you to be in such an environment every day. Hopefully, it gets better for you!

Tina in CA

I couldn't tolerate that sort of environment. I'd possibly last the week, and that's about it!

I like a quiet office environment. :)

Ya know Machka, that is one thing I CANNOT stand is when people are rude to each other. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It's so hurtful. Hopefully that manager will say something to her.

Yes, it's been done. We'll see how things are on Tuesday when we're both in next. We're equal coworkers, she's not my boss or anything.

One of my work colleagues overheard one of her rants the other day and offered me the suggestion to just let her rant and don't say anything, don't respond. So on Thursday, when she started up, I just smiled at her and didn't say a word. She marched off after a few minutes and I got up and went to the kitchen to make my lunch. She followed me and continued the rant ... but I guess she didn't see our manager there or notice that our manager and I were chatting. :)

I've been googling how to deal with difficult coworkers and trying different things ... it's often an interview question: Have you ever had a difficult coworker and how did you deal with the situation. I've rarely had difficult coworkers, so this is a good opportunity to experiment with how I would deal with the situation. I'll make notes so I can use them in my next interview. :smiley:

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Regarding quilts -

Hobart quilter Katherine Jones wins national, international awards for two-year creation
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-20/hobart-quilter-katherine-jones-award-winning-design-1000-hours/101852276

Regarding bathing suits -

I can't remember the last time I wore one. When I go to the beach, I'm using in shorts and a tank top.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    This looks like my grandmother's pantry many years ago ...
    hi7kzwb5loa8.png

I sure remember those days! My mom did canning as well as my grandmother. When I owned a house with 27 acres and my children were small, I used to can, make jelly, pickles, and make home made wine too! I even used cloth diapers with all 3 when I was home, pampers when they were at the sitters. I never bought baby food except fruits, I made all of it. No formula either. Saved a ton of money in those days. Not anymore. But, my DH will still make pickles for us, a jar at a time.

RVRita in impossible gardening in a NM desert!🛸🌵 (unless container! Lol)

I have a lot of dill growing around the place and making pickles is one thing I thought of doing. I've never done it but I can learn.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do with the dill ... dry it?

M in Oz

I love chopping it and adding it to my tuna salad or topping salmon when it is baking.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    [quote="

I have great canning memories, using the spinner thingy chopping up apples, and my momma always having a bowl (she couldn't fit in jars for us all warm). We even capped fresh bottles of root beer, and had stains on our kitchen ceiling from those last explosive bottles. So yummy in the summer with vanilla ice cream. Also did a lot of freezer jam, bags of berries pre measured to just throw in a pie crust, and corn. I would use that corn kernel remover that you just pushed the cooked corn thru. Then I would give the warm cobs to my cat. She would lay them on her belly, and munch on all the kernels we missed. 💖🤗. Good memories.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

We would have 1/2 acre of corn planted every year. When it was ready, dad and a few others would take the truck and fill it up, bring it to the garage. Have a huge pile of corn. Everyone sat around the pile, shucking corn. Then it would go into the kitchen where mom would blanch it and it would go onto the huge plywood "table" and some would be cutting the corn off using a knife, then it would get bagged and froze. We grew enough for the year for our family, my grandparents and extended family. A few older ladies from church would come out to help. They really enjoyed it.

We also did kind of that process with chickens. I HATED that. We would raise 300 chicks. When they were big enough, one weekend we would do half and the next the other half. I didn't like the plucking but one time mom had me gut one- NEVER again. That smell was the worst. I still don't like the smell of raw meat, especially chicken.

We had two of the large commercial size freezers(she still has them) and tons of pantry space. Summers were very busy on the farm.

Debbie

I would like a couple chickens, but only for the eggs. Lots of places around have small coops.

But first ... the bees. I want to get used to them before we take on something else.

M in Oz

Many of our neighbors have chickens here in town. Heard the rooster this morning when I was out feeding the outside cats. I would like to but worry about the critters- We have a coon hanging out that won't leave and I would worry about keeping the chickens safe.
    Mom has a few dozen chickens for the eggs. They have to be locked up in the evening and let out in the morning. They lost more than half their flock years ago when dad forgot to lock them up one night. A bobcat got in and just tore them up, not eating any of them.

For a very short time, we had bees. No idea why dad thought that was a good idea because he was deathly allergic to them. One time he was stung, mom rushed him to the hospital(town is ten miles away). They told mom if she had taken five more minutes to get him in there,he would not have made it. They had epi pens after that.

• dlfk202000
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Deb - the navy beans you put in your IP, were they from a can? I’ve been afraid to put beans in the IP because I’ve always been afraid they’d fall thru the grate and burn. I bet they’re real good in there. So how do you do it? I’ve done ribs. How long do you cook your ribs for?

The play was real funny

M – we used to have a lady who volunteered at the soup kitchen who I silently called “Mrs. Sourpuss”. I would kill her with kindness

Nite Nite everyone.

Michele NC

I use the dry beans. The recipe said 40 min but I checked them after it released and they were still too firm so took the ham bone out, set it for 5 more minutes then natural release again- perfectly tender. Then added the chopped up ham back in. What grate? I dont use a grate or anything- just put plenty of water in with them.

The beans were great. My friend really loved them so I will be dropping off the leftovers to her tomorrow. Glad someone will enjoy them.

Ribs I cook 50-60 min then air fry for a few min. That is for pork ribs or beef.. Dh prefers beef,I prefer pork.- they cook so nice. I hate tough meat so I tend to cook a little longer.
    I do have them on a rack with broth in the bottom to the top of the rack or close to it. Don't measure it
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    DLFK—I like green beans but not dry beans. It has been this way since I was a young child. Beef, pork, poultry or fish are accompanied by green beans &/or brown rice in my kitchen. Everyone has their own preferences. 😊
  • Machka9
    Options
    [quote="

I have great canning memories, using the spinner thingy chopping up apples, and my momma always having a bowl (she couldn't fit in jars for us all warm). We even capped fresh bottles of root beer, and had stains on our kitchen ceiling from those last explosive bottles. So yummy in the summer with vanilla ice cream. Also did a lot of freezer jam, bags of berries pre measured to just throw in a pie crust, and corn. I would use that corn kernel remover that you just pushed the cooked corn thru. Then I would give the warm cobs to my cat. She would lay them on her belly, and munch on all the kernels we missed. 💖🤗. Good memories.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

We would have 1/2 acre of corn planted every year. When it was ready, dad and a few others would take the truck and fill it up, bring it to the garage. Have a huge pile of corn. Everyone sat around the pile, shucking corn. Then it would go into the kitchen where mom would blanch it and it would go onto the huge plywood "table" and some would be cutting the corn off using a knife, then it would get bagged and froze. We grew enough for the year for our family, my grandparents and extended family. A few older ladies from church would come out to help. They really enjoyed it.

We also did kind of that process with chickens. I HATED that. We would raise 300 chicks. When they were big enough, one weekend we would do half and the next the other half. I didn't like the plucking but one time mom had me gut one- NEVER again. That smell was the worst. I still don't like the smell of raw meat, especially chicken.

We had two of the large commercial size freezers(she still has them) and tons of pantry space. Summers were very busy on the farm.

Debbie

I would like a couple chickens, but only for the eggs. Lots of places around have small coops.

But first ... the bees. I want to get used to them before we take on something else.

M in Oz

Many of our neighbors have chickens here in town. Heard the rooster this morning when I was out feeding the outside cats. I would like to but worry about the critters- We have a coon hanging out that won't leave and I would worry about keeping the chickens safe.
    Mom has a few dozen chickens for the eggs. They have to be locked up in the evening and let out in the morning. They lost more than half their flock years ago when dad forgot to lock them up one night. A bobcat got in and just tore them up, not eating any of them.

For a very short time, we had bees. No idea why dad thought that was a good idea because he was deathly allergic to them. One time he was stung, mom rushed him to the hospital(town is ten miles away). They told mom if she had taken five more minutes to get him in there,he would not have made it. They had epi pens after that.

We don't have raccoons or bobcats here. I don't think the possums would go after chickens and the wallabies certainly wouldn't.

Domestic cats, maybe.

We've got a first aid kit with an epi pen in the house. It's our beekeeping first aid kit.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think. Does silently working in the garden count? Done! I sat silently for 7 minutes and prayed.

2 List 5 things using each of your senses. Right now? I can see my Christmas decorations, I can hear Christmas songs, I can taste my coffee, I can smell my coffee, and I can feel a comfortable temperature in the room.

3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house. I'm not in a downsizing or reducing mode so I've taken some lunch things to work, I will take an item to be mailed and another to be given to the people at work.

4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever). I can't tell you what my favourite Christmas gift this year is yet. It's a secret.

5 Move for at least 30 minutes today. Absolutely. It's a very rare day that I don't.

6 Share a goal you achieved last year. We completed the longest bicycle ride since my husband's accident and the fastest.

7 Slow down and savor one meal today. Mmmm ... pizza!

8 Who was your favorite teacher. My father. :):) But I've had quite a few good teachers, in addition to him, over the years.

9 Create something today. I finished creating my first work-related project plan today.

10 What is your favorite lyric from a song. Difficult one given that I like so much music. But let's go with: "A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices"

11 Send a card/note to someone today. Do emails count?

12 What are you looking forward to in 2023? Can't tell you that! It's a secret ... same secret as my favourite Christmas gift. :)

13 Tell a random person they look "good" today. It's a bit late in the day to read this and didn't meet too many random people today ... or people in general. But I smiled at some horses and told Rhody he's gorgeous.

14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    One is a secret ... I should be able to tell you by the end of the month.
    My skin cancer surgery went better than expected and all my margins are clear.
    I've been able to hold my granddaughter.

15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week. Well, I did email a couple people yesterday. :)

16 What made you smile today. Do you mean like evil laughter?? :naughty: Or a happy smile? :smiley:
    Happy would be big fresh strawberries from our plants and my colouring book. I'm colouring little rainbows right now.

17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    Our garden

18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    House
    Bed
    Comfy PJs
    My Chair
    Food

19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently.
    I have been going to my optometrist and optical shop for several years now. I went there again today and again I was very happy with with their service.

20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    In no particular order ...
    My hair
    My eyes
    My legs
    My hands
    My brain

21 Pay it forward in some way .... ummm ... well, I smiled and thanked a number of people today.
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

Machka in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday!
    Rebecca, Lisa, and Heather UK You all write in such a way that I can "see" and feel what you are writing about. What a wonderful gift!

Bathing suits I learned from my youngest daughter to appreciate my own body. She had an eight week old baby, still carrying all the weight and we were at the beach with her in a two piece. Her thought was she was comfortable and if someone didn't like it, they didn't have to look! When DH and I went on a business reward trip to DR, I struggled with whether I should get a one piece (business) or a two piece suit for trip. Ultimately ended up with 2 bikinis that I loved. I really dislike wet material on my belly in particular. I did wear a one piece when I went to the water parks with the grands when they were little. It was more likely to stay in place ;) I think I am a nudist at heart. My DH has FINALLY gotten use to my nudity at home.

IP I have one, but since most of the meat we use is relatively fatless (venison and boneless skinless chicken breast) it just doesn't seem to work very well. Makes great hard boiled eggs though!

Kelly Beans, Sand, and what was it....rice? Bet your floors were really clean after that! :p

I was exhausted last night! Forgot to put my Fitbit back on (was charging), didn't log, and didn't check in here. My head hit the pillow and out I went. I had expected my DH to ask to be brought home when I told him I had to go to the groceries, instead he asked where we were eating! So we went to eat and he even considered what to eat for health before ordering. :) Then off to get our pick up order at Kroger, stop at Lowe's to pay our bill (which was due yesterday-oops!), off to Market for beer for DH, then Trader Joe's for produce. Stopped briefly at friend's house to drop off something we had picked up for them, then finally home at 8. Put everything away. Realize that the strap on my purse is coming apart :'( It is one of my favorites, so put it in the closet until I can see if I can find a new strap. That lead to organizing the stuff in a new purse and cleaning out my backpack for work. Switched out laundry and then it was after 10. I need to sort those papers this morning. Last two loads of laundry are in the washer and dryer. DH reconsidering going to Kentucky as they are calling for snow. We will see after work what he decides.

I need to log yesterday's foods, sort these papers, and fold some clothes.

Hugs!
    Prayers!
    Encouragement!
    Cheers!

TTFN,
    Kylia in Ohio
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • barbiecat