WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Carol, I'm sorry you are burdened with paying for your brother in laws bills. You are a good soul for doing it, but there will be a time where he's got to stand on his own I suppose. I don't know the circumstances, and the whys, and its not my business. Just know I comment from a caring place.
    Ooh lizards are kind of good pest wise. If you have one lizard, you most likely have more, but on the good side they eat everything else, so no ants etc. We had lizards in our walls of the California home. They lived in between the stucco siding. Every so often I would see from the outside part of the home, a long tail. So they were doing their job. Never saw them inside though. Sons saw a small one in the shower, and we saw a small one in the screen room patio, but never inside our living areas. I would've freaked out!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Beth-good luck with the dog! We had a large German shepherd who was very challenging-he never was properly trained.

Sue-congrats on 13 pounds-that is terrific!

Margaret-found your thoughts to be a wonderful way to start my day.

Pipyour camping set up is something else! I might be able to camp with such a set up.

Karen-thanks for sharing that self-reflection. I don't consider that a whine-shows tremendous willingness to continue to grow. Good luck with your son-but remember-you can't change him anymore than you could your ex.

Machka-had to convert the km to miles-very impressive!

Rebecca-you come across so outgoing I wouldn't think it would be difficult for you-good job widening your circle-I need to focus on that.

Annie-keep exercising away!

Kylia-good job helping friend. I have been struggling with that issue with quit smoking gain (4 lbs of it gone!). I am packing some stuff out of closet to start moving sort. I also figure I don't need it in my face and taking up space-but will put in bins to access. Much of the stuff is work clothes which hopefully I don't need later this year.

Working from home today so will go change out of nightgown and into sweat pants. Doing spreadsheet and salary projects for next few year for union negotiations. Hard to make people see if you aren't a profit organization funds are limited.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Its that first step that's tough. I have been conditioned by the Navy to seek out friends quickly (before the ship goes out to sea), gather your support system! So I tend to want to do this with the civilian population. I scare them because I will talk to everyone. Down shopping aisles, on trains, waiting for buses, you name it. My deal was "talk to a new person every single day". For many years I did just that. I have gotten into a hermit like situation, and gotten out of the habit, so just trying to change that.😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    Options
    Great job Rebecca! Making friends when you get older can be hard. I don't have a local friend and would like one. Fortunately I have old friends I keep in regular touch with, and family and grandchildren nearby. To count someone as a 'friend ' is a high bar for me.....

I am still expecting the letter from my ex, and today I found that he has started following me on Instagram. Not sure how I feel about that. I'm working on it. ;)
    Strange to have him 'intruding' back in my life. But we all have our reasons.

Love from Heather, processing in the UK, xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Annie— I am sorry that Covid has made a difficult time for so many of us. Vaccinated vs Not Vaccinated is worrisome. I have had multiple vaccinations and so has DH. Unfortunately he has been in situations where he was exposed to covid in hospital settings. He is doing much better now but I still worry. 😳
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Dh came home with fried chicken, potato salad and a dozen doughnuts- not the most balanced for a diabetic but his choice. Said he wasn't feeling good because he hadn't eaten all night(worked 3AM-11AM and doesn't eat anything before going to work). He took his lunch break but used that hour to go fix his mom breakfast, feed her dog and give her pills- all things she is more than capable of doing on her own now. Sorry, not much sympathy when he is choosing these things on his own. Better choices will make him feel better, physically and mentally.

Beings he brought doughnuts and made sure to get my favorite, custard filled, I am heading out to walk now- will walk a little extra and enjoy one this evening
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,487 Member
    Options
    Barbie what brand of rain coat/jacket do you use? My decades old LLBean pink slicker (in profile pic) now leaks at the seams despite re-treating with Granger’s, and my less old Lands End rain jacket has stains that won’t come out.
    Allie pics of Alfie are every bit as heart lifting as pics of Myles. Thank you!
    Beth SMH at your son’s new management. Do they really want workers to come in sick and spread it to healthy employees? You-know-what for brains. :astonished:
    Debbie your comment about the manager’s impending evaluation made me laugh!
    Maybe she should be on a quarterly evaluation schedule ;)
    Vicki hate hearing about your knees. Would your MD consider PT a possibilty to postpone replacements?
    Sue fingers X’d for favorable lab results and cardiologist appointment.
    Rebecca not just your phone and your computer, but any voice activated (Alexa,Siri,Hey Google) device. That’s why we don’t have one. And I only do banking on my network cable connected laptop with the wireless radio disabled. Call me paranoid… And Yes! To the tropical spa play group! Great Idea Ms Assistant Spicy Nugget!
    Annie, well done!
    Michele how disappointing about the zipper repair! Will you have to pay customs duties on the Birkenstocks from Germany?

Yesterday did 4 loads of laundry. Was reminded how much I enjoy folding laundry warm and soft from the drier. You gals who prefer stiff, cold, line-dried textures are
    T O U G H!

Only through pg 75 but seizing the moment to get the dogs outside before the temp drops any further and the wind kicks up any stronger.

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    January: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,912 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara I don't have a jacket specifically for rain. My LL Bean jacket is their brand rated for extra cold weather (like winter in Maine) It is thick enough that it keeps the rain off.

:) My morning included my regular two hour walk before sunrise, 75 minutes of line dance with my friend, lunch (eggs, peppers, tortillas, and salsa), an hour of riding the exercise bike and watching TV with Jake, and a 20 minute walk to get to 15,000 steps. Soon I'll treat myself to a nap and ignore the two loads of laundry that Jake did and are waiting for me to fold.

:) Have a great weekend

<3 Barbie in NW WA 😃🌻🙂😺🌞😍👣
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,385 Member
    Options
    Kylia – Get the colonoscopy done… if everything’s great, then you have a baseline to start from. If everything’s not great, you’ve hopefully caught it early. Just do it, woman! Mine is next week, and I'd genuinely rather eat dirt, but some things have to be done, and a positive on the ColoGuard calls for getting it done. Sounds like you had a wonderful evening with your friend.

Sue in WA - Congratulations on the weight loss!

Margaret – Your writing on joy really spoke to me, too. Thank you for that.

Karen – Thank you for the time you spent writing out the information on how your marriage ended. I'm glad it was a relief to find out the ex's underlying motivations and that it wasn't your failure.
    You’re a really good writer, you know. It's interesting that your ex-husband has befriended your spouse, but your son can't seem to deal with the relationship.

Tracey and SueBDew - Think of you every day.

Tough day, physically, at least for the first five or six hours, but finally slowed down... Weirdly enough, I'm kind of looking forward to the two days of cleaning out my entire system. (Kylia - most people only need one day of clear liquids and laxatives, which is probably what you'll end up with, but my system is slow and recalcitrant, so I've been handed a 48-hour prep. Whee!)

Unless they see something that needs tending more quickly, I'll sit down with the gastroenterologist for the next steps at the end of February. I really do love the fact that they post the doctor's and the pathologist's notes online now within a few days. It gives me time to dive into them and do the research, so I can walk in with reasonably intelligent questions that get me the information I need.

Corey's picking up a pizza on the way home, which I'll order as soon as he calls to tell me he's on his way home. I just get breadsticks for me, takeout pizza holds no charms.

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara & Barbie—I have a beloved rain jacket, too, from Columbia Sportswear. I’ve had it for a long time. I hope you find just what you need. ⭐️ I use a quilted vest inside if weather is cold.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    Our walk today , chispas aka cheerio is trying to catch a man with that dress!
    Lisa - thank you for posting that list about dementia. I think it's very true, we are doing most of the things there to keep our brains healthy. I count being on this list as both cognitive activity (really makes me think!) and social contact :) I believe I've also mentioned on this list there's research that shows walking outside a while each day and being around nature is also very nourishing for our brains.

Karen - reading the story of you and Rick brought back a lot of memories for me. I wonder how many 18 year olds really know what's in store when they get married for whatever reason? I got married at 25 (I felt I was still too young) but I figured a life with DH would be exciting and in a sense he would "complete me".... I think there was a popular song back then about romance and living happily ever after. It wasn't long until I think we both realized we didn't get married for a lot of the right reasons, but we stuck it out and grew up a bit. There was a time when I was ready to pack it in, but he'd just been diagnosed with RA and I couldn't leave him to deal with that alone. He really was my best friend.

I'm glad you and Rick had a chance to talk and clear the air, and that you were honestly able to look at that young marriage and the expectations that didn't pan out.

Pip - OK, now I can't decide if I want to be one of KJ's daycare kids, or live next to Karen at the Old Folks Home, or be one of your dogs on a camping trip.

Beth - sorry to hear about your DH catching the crud! Seems like sooner or later everyone is going to get it and maybe some repeats. Hope you don't get it and your son stays healthy so his new job isn't jeopardized (I also can't see how they can fire him if he catches it. They have that many lined up to take his place??) Wishing your DH a very speedy recovery so he can take over the dog duties!

Carol - I seem to remember your house is pretty full of antiques and items that have to be dusted and swept around. You probably had a mother and/or grandmothers who were excellent housekeepers. Both of my grandmothers were - I swear my paternal grandmother vacuumed the living room and scrubbed the kitchen floor every day. My mom couldn't keep up with it and didn't even try.

I had to laugh at Barbie's comment "We don't entertain so I don't have to wonder what other people think." I love this. I still keep my housecleaner because it's like therapy - puts me in a good mood and quiets my mind to see the house picked up, looking and smelling great one day every 2 weeks, lol.

I saw a meme on FB yesterday. It went something like this - "I calmed down by putting things that were on my bucket list onto a *kitten*-it list." Some things just aren't worth the effort any more and I agree 100% :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Be one of our pooches. You will live the good li!
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,385 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Lisa I had one at 50 y/o that was clear. Not even a polyp. Hemmroids yes. I am getting it done, just really not happy about more appointments. I meet with the doctor Feb 6th. I will keep you all posted.
    Kylia in Ohio

Of course! If anyone has their poop in a group, it would be you (pun intended... :smiley: ) You are an extraordinarily adept organizer.

My problem on that note is that I'm trying to get over my ingrained distaste for strangers touching me, as it genuinely not a good thing when I have a number of medical things coming up. Bleah.

Later,
    Lisa in AR
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Beth so sorry you tested positive! Hope it is a mild case and goes away soon.

Annie in Delaware
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Katla, Ginny, Betsy,M, Carla, and Lisa thank you for your feedback!