Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I can't stand Dr. Oz. I wanna punch him in the nose! *waving fist in the air*
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz is a tool It ticks me off that he rates his own article in a magazine with such a far-reaching audience.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Funny that a fellow cardiologist wouldn't do more research on diets made by other, longer-working cardiologists such as Dr Atkins and Dr Agatston.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz is a tool It ticks me off that he rates his own article in a magazine with such a far-reaching audience.

You might enjoy reading this then:
    Dr. Oz accused of fear-mongering on apple juice
    http://www.insidebayarea.com/breaking-news/ci_18901686

He is definitely more celebrity than doctor and some of his advice borders on quackery.
    Look at his most famous WOE patient: Oprah. What a success story! </sarcasm>
  • dittiepe
    Options

You might enjoy reading this then:
    Dr. Oz accused of fear-mongering on apple juice
    http://www.insidebayarea.com/breaking-news/ci_18901686

He is definitely more celebrity than doctor and some of his advice borders on quackery.
    Look at his most famous WOE patient: Oprah. What a success story! </sarcasm>

I actually saw the episode he was going on about. I'd be interested in seeing a random testing on it though, just to see how quacky he is.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Gary Taubes take on his appearance in the Dr. Oz circus, I mean show:

http://www.garytaubes.com/2011/03/dose-of-intervention-land-of-dr-oz/

To me, Oz looks like a Vulcan minus the logic. He should be thankful that the people he criticizes like Taubes above don't stoop to his low level of debate and bring up his recently discovered colon polyps.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    In the article he mentions that he doesn't understand how two people with the same diet history have completely different looking levels of plaque buildup. Hmmm, worth investigating, at the least?
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Too funny!! He does make the paranoia in me arise; I refuse to watch him. If I took his advice I wouldn't eat ANYtHING- I wonder if water is safe to drink...? I remember he said once that extreme sunlight sensitivity (with your eyes) was caused by sugar crystals in them and you ate too much sugar. That was the LAST episode I watched. I am forever with sunglasses on...
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Too funny!! He does make the paranoia in me arise; I refuse to watch him. If I took his advice I wouldn't eat ANYtHING- I wonder if water is safe to drink...? I remember he said once that extreme sunlight sensitivity (with your eyes) was caused by sugar crystals in them and you ate too much sugar. That was the LAST episode I watched. I am forever with sunglasses on...

The last Dr Oz I watched was about how he laces his shoes top to bottom (rather than bottom up)...so they tied down by his toes... :huh:

The woosh fairy visited...4.4 lb gone! *as I munch my 4th piece of bacon :love: *
  • lockef
    Options
    The last Dr Oz I watched was about how he laces his shoes top to bottom (rather than bottom up)...so they tied down by his toes... :huh:

The woosh fairy visited...4.4 lb gone! *as I munch my 4th piece of bacon :love: *

WOW! That's a BIG whooooosh! Great job!

Dr. Oz is a nut job.
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

WOW! That's a BIG whooooosh! Great job!

Dr. Oz is a nut job.

Yay for the Whoosh fairy!! :)
  • lockef
    Options
    I tried making a MiM last night using some protein powder (plus a little bit of heavy cream) instead of splenda and cinnamon. Didn't turn out too great. It was really tough and dry. Could only get through half of it before giving up. I did nuke it for about 2 minutes, so I don't know if it was that, or because of the protein powder.

Any one else try something similar?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I tried making a MiM last night using some protein powder (plus a little bit of heavy cream) instead of splenda and cinnamon. Didn't turn out too great. It was really tough and dry. Could only get through half of it before giving up. I did nuke it for about 2 minutes, so I don't know if it was that, or because of the protein powder.

Any one else try something similar?

Hmm...what about replacing 1/8c of the flax meal with 1/8 c protein powder, and leaving the splenda in?
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I just made some interesting meatballs for lunch. Hehe
    I had some ground beef left over that needed to be used, so I diced up some onion, added in minced garlic, some flax meal, and pizza sauce. When they were done cooking I threw some cheese over top and let that melt. They were like little pizza meatballs. Pretty tasty!
  • lockef
    Options
    Hmmm... this might work. I added some cream to it because it was too thick. I'll try this tonight. Thanks for the suggestion! :smile:
  • pork_belly
    Options
    All the talk about MIM made me decide to give it a try. They turned out pretty good!
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    hola :)
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Well, I was finally down a pound 2 days in a row....had way too much sodium yesterday, as my dinner was the cheese, pepperoni and mushrooms off the top of half of a large pizza,, so I was up half a pound again, but I am not worried...

...tonight, though, I know I wont be doing great. My best friends sister is getting married, and I opted for the chicken parmesan 3 months ago before I decided to low-carb. I just wont eat the pasta and hope the slight breading on the chicken wont throw me of too bad (or try to scrape it off) and only have ONE bite of cake. I'm trying not to eat any (or very few) carbs throughout the day so that tonight wont totally screw me!

Hope everybody is having a great start to their weekend!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Well, I was finally down a pound 2 days in a row....had way too much sodium yesterday, as my dinner was the cheese, pepperoni and mushrooms off the top of half of a large pizza,, so I was up half a pound again, but I am not worried...

...tonight, though, I know I wont be doing great. My best friends sister is getting married, and I opted for the chicken parmesan 3 months ago before I decided to low-carb. I just wont eat the pasta and hope the slight breading on the chicken wont throw me of too bad (or try to scrape it off) and only have ONE bite of cake. I'm trying not to eat any (or very few) carbs throughout the day so that tonight wont totally screw me!

Hope everybody is having a great start to their weekend!
    I have my husband's 30 year reunion tonight, so I feel you.

Here's a suggestion, stemming from the fact that I spent 5+ years working in the hotel catering business: ask your server when they are bringing around the salad course if you can switch to something else that you know is lower carb. They always make a few extra of each meal type in case more guests show than RSVP'd, and then some people don't show, so they are bound to have a couple extras of something that'll be more better for your diet.
  • kittrelle
    Options
    It's chilly here in ohio and I found this amazing hot chocolate recipe online! It satisfied every craving I had: for warmth, chocolate, sweetness and filled my belly!
    2/3 cup water
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    Cinnamon to taste
    1/8 tsp vanilla
    2 packs splenda
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    Mix it all and heat! Soo good!