WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,953 Member
    Options
    Debbie - I am so jealous! That's a great price on Dungeness, my favorite crab. <3 Are you just going to serve the meat? Make crab Louis? Salad? Crab cakes? Our Safeway ad comes out tomorrow. If I see them I'll have to make a run to town and splurge.

Lanette

I just got the ad that starts tomorrow- the digital coupons for this coming week are $1.88 for ground beef and buy 1 get 2 free avocado
    A few other good deals. Will be putting them in my "cart"/on my card in the morning(can't do it until after midnight as they start tomorrow)
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    And, following on Beth's clarification - I was very much talking about my own complaining as a way to begin a communication, no one else's. Many of us vent here, and it is a valuable space for that. No judgment on anyone at all, only on myself.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Need help with my "Listening..." homework. Would anyone share an example of when they really just needed to be heard, but others talked over them or snowed them with advice.?

Thanks!
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    February: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Just live a day with me! I am constantly being talked over. It's one of the main reasons I like communicating through the written word rather than talking and will often send an email first before attempting to speak to someone.

If I really want to say something, I will just keep talking even though I am being talked over and I will do it slightly louder.

Otherwise I will stop talking and roll my eyes and the moment they take a breath, I'll say, "As I was saying ..."

M in Oz

Machka I am like you with talking. I prefer email or text, or writing rather than talking. It seems I can get my point across better. DH is a talker (part of his dementia) and I have to yell to get a word in, or when talking to a couple, I will approach and talk to the non-speaking spouse.

RVRita

Mine is also a talker ... part of his brain injury.

But I've got people at work who love to talk as well. Sometimes it's OK because I rarely feel like talking, so I get them going and just sit there and nod and smile while I think about other things. But if I do want to get a word in, it can be challenging.

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Debbie - I am so jealous! That's a great price on Dungeness, my favorite crab. <3 Are you just going to serve the meat? Make crab Louis? Salad? Crab cakes? Our Safeway ad comes out tomorrow. If I see them I'll have to make a run to town and splurge.

Lanette

I just got the ad that starts tomorrow- the digital coupons for this coming week are $1.88 for ground beef and buy 1 get 2 free avocado
    A few other good deals. Will be putting them in my "cart"/on my card in the morning(can't do it until after midnight as they start tomorrow)

Debbie - the online Safeway ad comes out for me after midnight tonight. Will be interesting to see what the specials are. I always go through the online coupons and click on those, then go through the printed ad circular to see what else is out there. I'm still getting a good deal on avocadoes at Walmart, 78 cents each. They were up to $1.08 each last fall so I'm glad to see at least one item reducing in price.

Hope your DH's car tires situation got fixed and there's no more damage. Boy, stolen truck and DH's car. The vehicle gods were having a hissy fit with your household!

Are you all done with tooth repair and skin cancer surgery?

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »

I will have to catch up with everyone else a bit later. Kiddos arriving. DH is sick now with the crud that I had a couple of weeks ago. I am keeping him at arms length (further if I can). It is funny how, my life went on through the crud; but his life stops completely when he has it and he expects mine to, as well. The man-cold. :|

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Same thing going on here, except mine is a little worse because of my asthma so have to do the nebulizer treatments to try to keep it from getting worse. Not once has he asked how I am feeling, just walks in complaining ... waking up coughing like crazy and wheezing an hour and a half before I wanted to wake up.

Debbie

If it were me, I think I'd stand right in front of him and say, in a firm, loud voice, "I woke up coughing like crazy and wheezing an hour and a half before I wanted to wake up. I do not feel well."

M in Oz

• pmileader2
    pmileader2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    zug56qd3k41f.png

:) It's time for a fresh start and I'm looking forward to doing it with all of you. This thread is a great place to find friendship, support, and encouragement.

:):) One of our members described it like this:
    Welcome, welcome. When I first found this group, someone said it's like a "salon" = cozy café. Different conversations at different tables. There's the fun table, the support/listener/good cry table, the cooking and recipe table, the health/weight loss table, etc. Some of us jump from table to table. All the time. It's really OK to sit by yourself in the corner and just listen. For as long as you want."

:) It is more personal if you sign your post with a name or nickname and a location, specific or general.

:) Be sure to bookmark the thread so you can find it again.

My word for 2023 is "please" to remind me to be kind and do things that will please me and the others in my life, to remind me that politeness (saying "Please") will take me far in dealing with others, and to urge me make my environment as pleasing as possible (organizing and decluttering might fit in here).

<3 Barbie in NW WA
    "The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."---Lin Yutang

• Machka9
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    1948CWB wrote: »
    (((Debbie))) Lots of hugs for you and your family!

Carla & Beth ~ Sorry to hear about both your mom's.

Beging Talked Over ~ That is such a thing around my home. Both DH and Son do that to me. We both have to yell at son in order to get a word in. DH does it because he doesn't want to hear any suggestions.

Carol in GA

sounds like my dh- no suggestions at all. If I don't agree with him, I am wrong.
    If I try and talk, he doesn't listen and changes the subject to something revolving around him.
    He even says when I say, I told you that, oh, I wasn't listening.

Aren’t all men like that??

Thankfully ... no.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    pmileader2 wrote: »
    My husband and I both started this in September 2022 and we are in our 70's trying to stay healthy and get in shape. So far I have lost 18 lbs and he has lost 25 lbs. We try to walk or hike every day that the weather permits about 3 miles with our Morkie a one year old furbabby.

:) Welcome. My husband and I are both in our 70's with a few health problems. We are careful about our eating and seek every opportunity to be active. Where do you live? What are your weather challenges? I have lots of outdoor clothing that allows me to walk in nearly all the weather we have here.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    I did thirty reps of my dumbbells Yay! That's about a 300 calorie deficit. I figure as long as I'm consistent counting, the scale will let me know whether it's enough or not.

Annie in Delaware
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Mary thank goodness you are inside again!

Annie in Delaware
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Got a new floor. This is taking forever! Poor husband wanted cube steak and spaghetti for dinner but with all the banging, I had a splitting headache. So pizza for him, and mac & cheese for me. Easy food. Tomorrow I am donating blood.
    72mvg7m2fpc4.jpg
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump DVD,then to the Salvation Army (I got an exercise DVD I don’t have,) then to WalMart to get Vince’s prescriptions, then to Kohl’s. I saw a real nice mat for Halloween for 80% off but knew that I was going to get $5 off. Only when I went, both of those mats were gone. Oh well. I did find this cute bank in the shape of an astronaut. Got one for Colby and one for Lynette. Then I got home and saw a coupon for 20% off. They said that I could take it back, return it, I would still get my Kohl’s cash plus the 20% off. So I’ll do that Friday. It’s worth $16 to me. Kohl’s isn’t that far away.

KJ – when Vince is even the littlest bit sick, you would think the world was coming to an end! He walks around the house moaning and groaning in his bathrobe. Me? I get to do the laundry, cook the meals, those sorts of things

Kylia and KJ – you made me spit my water!

Unfortunately, I can’t wear my wedding ring. The arthritis has just made the joints too big. If it weren’t for the arthritis, I’m sure I could wear them

Seems that yesterday the city of Newton was without water, so I had practically no prep to have to do. I was only there 1-1/2 hrs. But that meant I could get to the gym earlier. Now we weren't without water yet we get our water from the city of Newton. Explain that one.

Vince’s pack that we use for the scanners at Daytona broke, one of the zippers was broken. So I took it to this gal to repair. She repaired it, only she replaced the zipper that wasn’t broken. Why? I have no idea. Why would you replace something that isn’t broken? Anyway, I took it back to her and she agreed to replace the broken zipper. I still don’t have it back so I’ll stop there maybe tomorrow after work to see if she has it done. If not, I’ll bring it back home with the zipper broken and take it to her when we get back. It’s been about a month and a half.

Made brownies for Vince to have when we get back. Honestly, he thinks about the things that need to be done before we leave, I need to think about things before we leave and when we get back, like what will we have for dinner?

Debbie – I love getting a good bargain. A while back Food Lion had lump crab on sale BOGO, so each container, instead of costing like $16, cost only $8. That was a price I could live with. What a great price you got!

Kylia – I wonder if clear liquids include white wine? You can see thru it. That’s usually the criteria they give you, like apple juice.

Carla – Kyle Troop’s home bowling alley is the same one we go to. One time he held the door open for me at the alley. Many times I’ve seen him bowl, play the pinball machine, then bowl some more. He’s a real great guy. You know that sponsors give him all kinds of bowling balls. He’s given some to kids who didn’t have any. My turkey was a REAL fluke, and I do mean that. Like I said, this is only the second time EVER that this has happened. I’ve seen so many people get real close to a 300 game. I don’t think I could handle that kind of pressure.

M – I remember when I went to the Y and took the water aerobics class, there was one lady who had to use the family locker room because she was sensitive to the perfume in the lady’s locker room

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    My husband finally got home. Four hours later! I was sitting out in 65° weather and feel a little chilly through and through! Warming up now on a heating pad and under a blanket!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

I don't think I would have sat outside for 4 hours ... I would have walked or taken the bus to a shopping centre and gone browsing for a while, or maybe have just gone for a long walk.
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I remember when I went to the Y and took the water aerobics class, there was one lady who had to use the family locker room because she was sensitive to the perfume in the lady’s locker room

Michele NC

That's why they ban it in so many places now ... lots of people are sensitive to perfume.

Most perfumes give me a headache and set off my allergies, and I am definitely not the only one.

M in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • Machka9
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    2.That the person I’m listening to may have physical or mental issues that cause their speech to be slow or uneven. If they’re not given space to express themselves, they may just nod and go along.

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    February: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

This is a very good point.

My husband has aphasia.
    It means he has a bit of difficulty reading, and a bit of difficulty forming words and sentences. He pretty much knows what he wants to say, but it can be very slow coming out, and sometimes he'll use the wrong words. Especially when he's tired.

A comment about something in the evening (when he's tired) can take a l-o-n-g time to come out and it is tempting to try to guess what he wants to say and finish his sentence. But I try to sit patiently and wait for it.

If someone didn't know that about him, and expected he should talk as fast as the "average" person, they might talk over him and he would get very frustrated.

In fact, I accompany him to important appointments and things for that reason (and other reasons) ... so that I can either ask the other person to be quiet and let him talk, or so I can talk for him.

It saddens me when I see sales people talk down to him like he's not intelligent when he asks for something slowly and especially if he uses the wrong word. If a sales person is particularly nasty, I'll step in and say something. But he's told me of several experiences where he has gone somewhere on his own and come home without whatever it is because the sales person treated him like dirt because he had difficulty communicating.

M in Oz

Aphasia

Generally, aphasia can be divided into four broad categories:
    • Expressive aphasia involves difficulty in conveying thoughts through speech or writing. The patient knows what he wants to say, but cannot find the words he needs.
    • Receptive aphasia involves difficulty understanding spoken or written language. The patient hears the voice or sees the print but cannot make sense of the words.
    • Patients with anomic aphasia, the least severe form of aphasia, have difficulty in using the correct names for particular objects, people or places.
    • Global aphasia results from severe and extensive damage to the language areas of the brain. Patients lose almost all language function, both comprehension and expression. They cannot speak or understand speech, nor can they read or write.
    https://brainfoundation.org.au/disorders/aphasia/

(My husband experiences the first three to some degree or another ... moreso when he's stressed or fatigued)

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/aphasia
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/5502-aphasia
    https://www.healthline.com/health/aphasia

c83hjqns5kna.png

M in Oz