55-65 year old women's success?

1140141142143144146»

Replies

• amyburns1999
    amyburns1999 Posts: 6 Member
    It's nice to speak to like-minded people in the 50+ community. Maybe it'll keep me motivated. I don't even want to admit how long I've been on MFP but I feel confident this time is different. You're such a success and that's what I'm hoping to do as well. Maybe just keeping my mind on other's success will keep me inspired!
  • ladybanksia59
    ladybanksia59 Posts: 4 Member
    @Sinisterbarbie1 and others -

well done on your cancer recovery/journey. It has struck my family as well.

I am back at MNF after a LONG hiatus...in desperation mode this time. I hafta take off these 40 lbs that have piled on over the last 3 yrs. Dang it...difficult times but now serious measures!!

Newly-crowned 60, it has become a benchmark for me - getting my baselines done again, which brings me peace of mind going forward.

Curious about this, and its probably been discussed along the way, but here goes -

how much credibility should one give toward the 'hormone-based' strategies that are plastered all over the interwebs? I'd like to at least get my cortisol number(s), but to my understanding, a physician needs to order it as a blood test, correct? Was never an issue at 30 years old...

Thanks for reading/listening...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    @Sinisterbarbie1 and others -

well done on your cancer recovery/journey. It has struck my family as well.

I am back at MNF after a LONG hiatus...in desperation mode this time. I hafta take off these 40 lbs that have piled on over the last 3 yrs. Dang it...difficult times but now serious measures!!

Newly-crowned 60, it has become a benchmark for me - getting my baselines done again, which brings me peace of mind going forward.

Curious about this, and its probably been discussed along the way, but here goes -

how much credibility should one give toward the 'hormone-based' strategies that are plastered all over the interwebs? I'd like to at least get my cortisol number(s), but to my understanding, a physician needs to order it as a blood test, correct? Was never an issue at 30 years old...

Thanks for reading/listening...

I don't have a great scientific basis for my opinion, but if you're talking about the programs for peri- and menopausal women, I think it's more marketing gimmick than marvel. The science I have seen (probably a biased sample) suggests that we lose weight about the same way at 60 as when younger, but it's against a backdrop of less muscle mass, lower fitness, and lower daily life activity, for many women. For some, sub-ideal nutrition besides.

Any/all of those can change subtly and gradually over the life course for many people, and effects of those can be magnified if repeated past extreme yo-yo diets are part of the picture. Looking at it through that lens is uninspiring from a marketing standpoint though, makes it seem like personal effort can turn things around without magical insights from any marketer, but that patient persistence will be required . . . and who wants to hear that? 🤣

Some of the actual programs don't sound too bad (thinking of what I've read about Pahla B, for example), but the marketing wrapper of specialness is . . . iffy, IMO. If the source is trying to sell you something (programs, supplements) - or even just lure your eyeballs to their sponsors' ads for personal gain: Caveat emptor.

Just my opinion, and it's a cynical one.

• ladybanksia59
    ladybanksia59 Posts: 4 Member
    @AnnPT77 & @Sinisterbarbie1 - thank you both so much for your wisdom and insightful responses. Well written and full of content.

Not so much a yo-yo dieter in conventional terms, thankfully, but more-so off and on the "See-Food Diet"...as the 'edge of my cliff' is laden with just flat-out good food and drink. (I can count on one hand the items that don't cross my threshold.) So, toward that end, nearly everything else that is prepared with love and just enough salt makes the cut. All ethnicities, respect for authenticity and traditions, no food sensitivities, and a curious palate make for the perfect storm.

I have total compassion and supportive regard for anyone who lives with food/health issues of ANY kind, as mine are in the mental-health arena. That beast has been tamed...for now...and the sun shines again; but health issues are real, even if not yet diagnosed.

I couldn't agree more with the concept of each of us making our health a priority to whatever extent that one can. Not only is it one of life's true privileges, but one of the true responsibilities, IMHO.

My reminder just said its treadmill time...toodles for now...have an amazing day, everyone!
  • MNNice68
    MNNice68 Posts: 4 Member
    HI ladies- I am so glad that I found this thread. 3 years ago I was thrust into surgical menopause, I am 5'7 and WAS 164 lbs. It seems like almost overnight I started gaining weight and bellyfat, I consulted my doctor and was told hysterectomy does not cause weight gain. Fast forward 3 years, I look like I have a spare time around my midsection and weigh 189 lbs. I feel so disheartened and desperate to find the "old me" I wish I never would of had this surgery, unfortunately I had a 10cm growth on my R) ovary and it wasn't an option (it turned out benign). Nothing has changed in my life beside my hysterectomy. My question to all of you, what calorie parameters should I use? How many calories, protein, carbs? How do I figure all of this out? Thank you in advance for any information and guidance. P.S. If anyone is interested in being friends I would love that too!
  • ttfit2
    ttfit2 Posts: 54 Member
    Glad I found this thread as I am in this age range (59) and can relate to the posts. It's very encouraging to hear how those of you have lost the weight and kept it off. Being consistent in my food choices and exercising is key. Thanks for the reminder!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!