Wrong answers ONLY!

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,348 Member
    Options
    Way back in the early years of the 20th century, the world was wracked by World War I, which began in 1914. Four years later, the Allies were on the verge of losing the war if they didn't do something drastic. Our greatest scientific minds got together and determined a technique to cause time to freeze everywhere on the planet, except for our troops, for 24 hours. During those 24 hours our troops were able to sweep unopposed through enemy lines and capture all the enemy leadership. When time unfroze, we had won the war. The year was 1918.

What does this have to do with the hour we lost last night? The machine which froze time to allow our victory had to suck the time from somewhere, or more accurately someWHEN. Since science didn't allow them to suck away time that had already happened, the President directed to suck an hour out of each year going forward. Politicians told the media this new Daylight Savings Time was for the sake of farmers, but now you know the truth is much cooler: we sacrifice an hour each year to allow us to win the great war more than a century ago. How much longer will this continue, you ask? Actually, back in the year 2000 when we skipped leap year we made the critical transition point from paying back the machine for 1918, and now we're stockpiling time for a future calamity.

My boss is on vacation to Mexico, and his number two is spending time at home sick. This means I'm now the highest ranking person in the office, at least for the next few days. Any suggestions on how I should make the most of this unexpected promotion?
  • y2gcsbbddn
    y2gcsbbddn Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    First thing is a salary scramble, random draw. Then send out a company wide email showing whose salary got replaced with whose and the $ amount.
    Make some upgrades to the office space - whatever you need. New carpeting? Paint? Furniture? Electronics? Air-handling/filtration system? Hire someone to replant all outdoor green space in native prairie and erect bird boxes.
    Have a catered healthy lunch brought in for everyone.
    Plan a big catered party for the evening with a live band, bar, mimes, ponies, a giant strobe light for the parking lot and a hot air balloon.
    Then give everyone the rest of the week off.

I’m thinking of retiring. How do I decide when the time is right?
  • nossmf
    Options
    I suggest retiring immediately after making all those purchases you just recommended, using company money, of course.

New Mexico is famous for Area 51, the site where conspiracy theorists believe the government houses aliens. This seems to have skipped a few numbers, though. What mysteries are housed in Areas 1-50?
  • _Redux
    _Redux Posts: 87 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I suggest retiring immediately after making all those purchases you just recommended, using company money, of course.

New Mexico is famous for Area 51, the site where conspiracy theorists believe the government houses aliens. This seems to have skipped a few numbers, though. What mysteries are housed in Areas 1-50?

Area 21 is the galaxy's favourite holiday resort, aliens from many worlds spend time there being entertained by cabaret acts such as 'Donald Trump's stand up night' - and Bill Clinton's late night burlesque show.

Area 31 is where they keep Elvis.

We probably shouldn't talk about what's at Area 41, last time I spoke about it online, Joe Biden kicked my door down and threatened to have my memory wiped with one of those Men In Black flashy things.

My parents are reaching their twilight years, and as such enjoy peaceful, quiet pastimes and gentler low energy hobbies. Could somebody recommend to me a holiday (vacation) that would suit them well at this time of life?
  • nossmf
    Options
    ***Editor's Note: Welcome to the thread, @_Redux! We're honored your very first post on MFP is with us!***

I recommend the amateur NASCAR circuit for your parents. They've been driving for decades now, right? This activity is just that, driving in a circle for a few hours. Very boring, no physical motion needed on their part other than minor steering, it should be a piece of cake for them. However, I do acknowledge not everybody likes long distance drives of 500 or more miles. They can instead try a shorter driving experience, say the demolition derby, where cars are unlikely to travel more than a quarter mile at a time.

My dog definitely lives up to the doggy stereotype of constantly getting into the garbage. Why do dogs do that, and what can I do to stop this behavior?
  • _Redux
    Options
    ***Editor's Note: Welcome to the thread, @_Redux! We're honored your very first post on MFP is with us!***

I recommend the amateur NASCAR circuit for your parents. They've been driving for decades now, right? This activity is just that, driving in a circle for a few hours. Very boring, no physical motion needed on their part other than minor steering, it should be a piece of cake for them. However, I do acknowledge not everybody likes long distance drives of 500 or more miles. They can instead try a shorter driving experience, say the demolition derby, where cars are unlikely to travel more than a quarter mile at a time.

My dog definitely lives up to the doggy stereotype of constantly getting into the garbage. Why do dogs do that, and what can I do to stop this behavior?

D'aww, thanks for such warm words. I'm actually a returnee - I used to post in this thread in a past MFP life. Think; stealing shoes from orphans.

Your dog is clearly seeking gourmet delicacies from remnants of human food that can't be found in standard dog cuisine. The only solution to this is to start eating food that is so disgusting, even he or she will find it too repugnant to attempt to steal. For your dinner tonight, it's fried rat, and I'm not talking about freshly caught - it needs to be starting to rot, for breakfast it's cat food, keep experimenting until you find something foul enough to keep all dogs away from the trash.

On the subject of dogs, some people are allergic to their fur. This got me thinking, how do the blind and partially sighted get by if they're allergic to their guide dog? Could anybody suggest another animal they could use for mobility assistance instead?

• nossmf
    Options
    Allergies are often associated with tiny particles from either fur or feathers, so this rules out mammals and birds. The obvious solution is reptilians, more specifically an alligator. (Crocodiles work also, unless your name is Captain Hook.) Your seeing-eye alligator will ensure you don't run into anybody, because nobody will come close to you! Even traffic will swerve around you and your companion. Bonus: if you get tired of carrying items in your hands, place them on the gator's back and it won't be encumbered, just keep on walking.

With my wife and daughter about to travel out of state on a school trip during spring break, I know they will return simply exhausted, while my few days sitting at home watching television will have me energized to start my next work week. Why do we so often need a vacation after returning from vacation?
  • daddybuzzkill
    daddybuzzkill Posts: 128 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    It’s the technology housed in Area 52 that makes us need a vacation to recover from vacation.

Why do people say “it goes without saying”?
  • nossmf
    Options
    Because the knowledge contained in the next sentence will literally disappear off the face of the Earth if it is not said at that exact moment. Have you ever forgotten something obvious, like where you put the car keys or the name of the person with whom you're speaking? You didn't say it (the knowledge needed), so it went away. Scientists have argued for decades about where this knowledge goes to, some because they want to retrieve said knowledge, others because they assume the location holding all this knowledge must be the most advanced data archival system ever conceived and they wish to patent the technology before selling it to Disney (since eventually the whole world will be owned by Disney).

Hair is such a funny thing. Some people have full heads of hair, others are bald; some men grow impressive beards, others remain clear skinned for life; and let's not even mention all the variations in hair on legs, backs and armpits. We're all human, so why this tremendous variation in the ability for our bodies to grow hair?
  • nossmf
    Options
    ...?

I think this response was meant for a different thread...
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,306 Member
    Options
    Seems like spam to me... I flagged it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Me too. needs one more to come to mods auto- attention.

But perhaps, like all nonsense, it has a kernel of truth - perhaps the key to hair growing or losing is in writing biographies!
    Grey hair, balding, - all signs of stress - which surely would come from trying to write your own biography!

Quick, everybody who does not want to go grey or lose hair! - click into the link above to hire a professional to do it for you!
    Quickly - before mods remove it from sight!

But really, writing biographies is so mundane - what if we all did it? - do we really want to read 6 billion or so biographies of every person in the whole world?

What could I write that is more unique and interesting (and will be a best seller and make me millions? ;) )
  • nossmf
    Options
    The problem with stories is they never change. As in, if I've read it once, I know exactly what happens when I read it a second time. Same bad guy, same hero, same everything. But what if the story changed every time I read it? You can publish an e-book with the title, "The Chaos of Life", with the tag line that every time you open it, the story will be different. Inside the cover will be a link to your story...which takes the reader to the online newspaper of your choice. Since the articles always change, your promise will remain true. (A sequel can be published a few years later, "The Utter Chaos of Chaos", with a link which jumps to a random newspaper across the globe, resetting itself every five seconds.) You're sure to make your millions, but be prepared to be pushed into the next higher tax bracket, which will increase your taxes to millions as well, for a net profit of $1.27. Per year.

People are always clamoring for a magic pill to either make them skinnier instantly, or gain tons of muscle instantly. Yet there are no products on the market to freeze time for those of us who are happy with our current physique, and wish it never changed again. I think this could be MY trip to millions, but I'm drawing a blank what kind of product it should be. Any suggestions?
  • _Redux
    edited April 2023
    Options
    The problem with stories is they never change. As in, if I've read it once, I know exactly what happens when I read it a second time. Same bad guy, same hero, same everything. But what if the story changed every time I read it? You can publish an e-book with the title, "The Chaos of Life", with the tag line that every time you open it, the story will be different. Inside the cover will be a link to your story...which takes the reader to the online newspaper of your choice. Since the articles always change, your promise will remain true. (A sequel can be published a few years later, "The Utter Chaos of Chaos", with a link which jumps to a random newspaper across the globe, resetting itself every five seconds.) You're sure to make your millions, but be prepared to be pushed into the next higher tax bracket, which will increase your taxes to millions as well, for a net profit of $1.27. Per year.

People are always clamoring for a magic pill to either make them skinnier instantly, or gain tons of muscle instantly. Yet there are no products on the market to freeze time for those of us who are happy with our current physique, and wish it never changed again. I think this could be MY trip to millions, but I'm drawing a blank what kind of product it should be. Any suggestions?

@nossmf - I would suggest that the ultimate tool for those in body maintenance mode would be a part-time cryogenic freezer. This smart device has all the benefits of freezing and preservation, but can be programmed to melt you out on pre-programmed dates, like an alarm clock, in time for special events that you wish to attend, looking your very best self. Of course, this machine would be the preserve of the rich because you would no longer be able to attend work. You could even have it encase you in carbonite in the style of Han Solo, so that while you're getting your 'beauty sleep' - you could double as an amazing living room ornament for your family to enjoy:

han-solo-carbonite-original-han-solo-frozen-carbonite-star-wars-movie-empire-strikes-back-as-displayed-111919185.jpg

The local priest has asked me to look after has pet parrots while he goes on holiday, I've noticed that these birds are really rather clever, what might be a witty trick or quote to teach them before he gets back?
  • nossmf
    Options
    The "trick" is trying to guarantee your entry into heaven. While the birds are with you, keep them in a room with a TV playing recorded religious services non-stop. When you return the birds, they will quote scripture to the priest, who will realize how devout you must be. The next time he prays he will lift up your name to the Big Guy, and presto! Your afterlife is now assured. (Just make sure your actual TV programs in the next room have a lower volume, or else you may discover your plan yields the opposite results...)

While weightlifting late last year, I injured my elbow and had to take a 4-month break from lifting to heal. I'm all healed up and good to go, so I started lifting again. Wow, I feel like I've never lifted before! So weak, sore muscles. Any ideas on ways a person can return to doing something physical after a prolonged absence and be just as good as they were before the break?
  • frankwbrown
    Options
    I suppose no one has responded to your question because it's not really a problem. You're as strong as you ever were - it's all in your head. It's probably the case that the passage of time has you convinced that you used to find those physical tasks much easier. Then again, it's possible that you did not practice mind over matter techniques during your downtime. That technique involves just thinking about doing an exercise as opposed to actually doing it, but thinking about it so strongly that you feel as if you are actually doing it. If you do that, the magical power of the mind will work miracles.

My gym wants to increase my monthly fee by $5.00, but I don't want to pay $5.00 more per month. What argument can I use to convince them to make me an exception to the fee increase for everybody?
  • nossmf
    Options
    I suggest making an appointment with the gym manager (or owner, if available). Be polite but firm when you tell them you don't want to pay $5.00 more per month, and would rather pay $10.00 more per month. You'll be amazed how being polite but firm will convince them to make a special exception in your case. In the unlikely event they do not accept your counter proposal, tell them the best you can do is an extra $4.00 per week.

Memorial Day is on Monday, a time traditionally celebrated through grilling food for your family. However, I have to work that day from 2pm - 10pm, meaning I won't be home to grill. What can I do for my family to ensure they don't feel like they missed out?
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,995 Member
    Options
    If you light a slow fuse to set your kitchen on fire just before you leave, your family can have barbecued everything for hours. If you don't want to deal with the cleanup, you could light the neighbors kitchen on fire instead. Then just volunteer to help for 30 minutes or so.

I don't cook much anymore, but I like home cooked food. Solution?
  • frankwbrown
    Options
    Pay a visit to @nossmf's family, or their neighbor's.

I started swimming regularly nearly three years ago. I'm not a fast swimmer by any means. I slowly progressed to the point that I could swim 100 yards in 3:20. I used to swim 4-6 times a week but lately, I've been swimming a lot less -- more like 4-6 times per month. I last swam on May 25th and my pace was exactly 3:20 min/100 yards. Today I swam 1,000 yards in 31 minutes - that's a 3:06 min/100 yards pace. Does swimming less somehow make me a better swimmer?
  • nossmf
    Options
    To prove your hypothesis, let's extrapolate further. I don't swim at all. Theoretically, I should be the greatest swimmer of all time. I have never drowned when swimming in the local swimming pools, giving me a perfect safety record. Therefore, the original hypothesis must be correct. Swim less, swim better.

Now that my daughter has graduated high school and enlisted in the Navy, each of my first three children have joined the military (or tried and been rejected, in my eldest son's case). But my youngest daughter has stated she will never join the military, breaking not only from her siblings but also our long family history of military service. How can I convince her to change her mind?