For the love of Produce...

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    That’s such a good idea, @acpgee, don’t know why I’ve never thought of it before!

I generally use snow peas in stir fry type dishes and love them, I rarely eat peas as a side vegetable (too boring) but use them in pasta dishes and to bulk up rice for chilli or curry style meals.

Mixing the two seems like an interesting twist, taste and texture wise! Thanks for the idea!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,599 Member
    I planted pea shoots in a container on the balcony today. When I tried to do this in January a few years ago almost nothing sprouted. Guessing it was too cold. Hopefully waiting until early April will work.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    It's Farmer's Market season! Going to my first one of the season tomorrow morning. It's a bigger one then my local one (which opens next weekend) so really excited to check it out.
  • acpgee
    Does anyone have tips for kale salad?

I normally hate the stuff but ent to a Taiwanese restaurant Sunday where the house salad was translucent bits of kale in a sesame/mirin/soy vinaigrette. Looked online and found a Korean kale salad that sounded similar where all the stems had been cut out and then massaged in the vinaigrette.

Any other tips for kale salad? I normally even hate it cooked, but loved the salad I had a restaurant Bao on the weekend.
  • acpgee
    I've posted this Turkish salad before but I do love it. Watermelon, feta, mint, and a drizzle of pomegranate molasses, a grind of pepper. Substitute more expensive balsamic if you don't have a middle eastern shop near you that sells pomegranate molasses. No oil in the dressing. A great thing to bring to a party because it doesn't look worse for wear sitting around for a few hours if you leave the mint leaves whole. Watermelon at this time of year will not be food for my foot miles karma.
    oxqhm8jfohfz.jpeg
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 711 Member
    Wow this is an amazing thread!! It will take some time to read everything but I’m seriously so excited this thread exists- with pics even!!! Yay!!
  • acpgee
    @SafariGalNYC
    I would use all that stuff in stir fries except maybe the beets. My use for cooked beets is something similar to dutch herring salad. Any smoked or brined or pickled fish, soft boiled eggs, cooked beets, raw apple, sliced pickles, optional boiled potato. Classic dressing is store bought mayo thinned down with juice from the pickle jar. Add yoghurt to reduce mayo calories. If using potato dress them while warm as for any potato salad. The salad pictured was made with Spanish smoked sardines sprinkled with dried dill.
    2ferdnwgur9v.jpeg

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 888 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    @SafariGalNYC
    I would use all that stuff in stir fries except maybe the beets. My use for cooked beets is something similar to dutch herring salad. Any smoked or brined or pickled fish, soft boiled eggs, cooked beets, raw apple, sliced pickles, optional boiled potato. Classic dressing is store bought mayo thinned down with juice from the pickle jar. Add yoghurt to reduce mayo calories. If using potato dress them while warm as for any potato salad. The salad pictured was made with Spanish smoked sardines sprinkled with dried dill.
    2ferdnwgur9v.jpeg

@acpgee - I always have herring in the house! I can’t wait to make this .. thank you 🙏 😉
  • acpgee
    A while back someone asked about what to do with daikon. Day 1 was Chinese turnip cake (Lo Bak Go). Day 2 was roasted with tomatoes in the air fryer. Be sure to prick each cherry tomato with a fork and roast low and slow so as not to burst the tomatoes. This way the roast instead of stew.
    3xl3sn0b38ak.jpeg
    hpde5rtomddm.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Advice needed. I sometimes sprout my own mung beans but don't always think of doing that a week before needing them. When I buy mung bean sprouts they are so perishable, lasting maybe 3-4 days in the refrigerator. So how do you use bean sprouts?

I normally buy them for beef hor fun, then on day 2 do pad thai. If there is anything leftover will do Korean beansprout namul. If I have good beef stock on hand will use a handful in Pho.

Ideas for using beansprouts would be appreciated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Advice needed. I sometimes sprout my own mung beans but don't always think of doing that a week before needing them. When I buy mung bean sprouts they are so perishable, lasting maybe 3-4 days in the refrigerator. So how do you use bean sprouts?

I normally buy them for beef hor fun, then on day 2 do pad thai. If there is anything leftover will do Korean beansprout namul. If I have good beef stock on hand will use a handful in Pho.

Ideas for using beansprouts would be appreciated.

I only do boring things with them: Salads (maybe lightly pickling them first), scrambled eggs or omelets, that sort of thing. I'd maybe try a savory pancake/crepe kind of a deal though I can't recall whether I have . . . or in Spring roll or romaine lettuce wrap? Just thinking in print here . . . .