WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options
    Kylia - glad to hear your ticker is healthy. <3<3 I used to have a lot of tachycardia that gradually diminished on its own after menopause. Had several echocardiograms and wore Holter monitors in my 40's and 50's, the cardiologist couldn't track anything down needing medication, just keep an eye on it. Last year my doc put me on something, can't recall what - I think it was a BP med that was also anti-anxiety because of dealing with my DH's problems. ( My BP was off the charts when I went to see him to have my monthly cry). Anyhow, it slowed my heart rate too much, under 50! He said go off it and for about half a day, it really raced. He switched me to amlodipine for BP and all has been fine ever since. Crossing fingers everything settles down for you. Now those computers.... my sympathy! Nothing more frustrating, especially when having a business to run. Are you able to go "on paper" - write paper receipts with data entry later to update the sales and inventory accounting part?

Barbara - I forgot to mention this the other day regarding your morning tummy problem. Sometimes I take DGL tablets for a few days. Take/chew a tablet about 20 minutes before eating, three times a day prior to meals - even drinking morning tea/coffee in my case. DGL creates protective mucous in the stomach. I'm not a fan of Nexium - it works, but it can have a downside impacting our gut microbiome. You can get DGL on Amazon and in health food stores. DGL stands for Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice. I don't like licorice but this tastes fine. I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV, lol.

Machka - You live in such a beautiful place. :) I am so envious of your hair, haircut looks great. Think of you often as you deal with your DH's memory challenges.

Kim - thank you for mentioning about CA inheritance laws and how this can get so complicated, hence caring for your mom at your home and keeping her out of that stream is so important at this time. Makes sense to me now. Does your sis live close enough that she could care for mom if she needed help in the future? Continued hugs for you - sounds like your therapist is top notch; setting boundaries will help a lot. We adult "kids" caring for our parents takes a lot of energy - jumping from being their child to making the adult decisions that have to be made for them, and add in the role of care giver. You are doing a great job. <3

Flea - thank you too for your update on your mom's estate. Sounds like she was pretty well covered with her Medicare supplemental and long term care insurance, what a relief. The situation with supporting your MIL had to be stressful! Perhaps WA State has similar laws - not having kids or parents here, it's not something I've had to think about. Crossing fingers your mom's property sale and remaining loose ends get wrapped up quickly.

Karen - how is your brother doing? Hopefully getting along well in his new digs.

Make it a fantastic Thursday, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,954 Member
    Options
    Thursday -- last day of work for 5 days, 5 days of stat holidays! :)

Work was training, a long "TEAMS" workshop, and me trying to get set up with a particular aspect of my work.

Walked up and down 18 flights of 20 stairs.

Haircut ... at last!

Walked Rhody quite a while this evening.

Machka in Oz

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Mary, thanks for the info on the pickle juice. I'm trying to be proactive and drink it because my leg cramps seem more often because I'm physically so active in the yard these days.

Kim,,, many hugs and admire how you're handling the difficult situation... So glad you are taking care of yourself. Vent away!! Anytime!!

Yesterday I went for my cataract one year post op appointment. My eye pressure is elevated in both eyes and that is surprising because I had titanium tubes inserted to relieve pressure when cataract surgery was done. Next appointment in 6 weeks. :-( This will postpone me going to Alaska end of May.

But the upside of yesterday was I got to go to Winco grocery store. It's a store 55 miles from home but near where my eye clinic is.. Mary and Lanetteand Margaret, Winco sells beef marrow bones or knuckle bones for $1.89/lb. They also sell chicken feet for $2.19/lb. So I stocked up on bones for my bone broth. I add veggies and spices.. garlic, basil, oregano, coriander and others. I've been making the bone broth for years and usually have ziplock bags frozen to use in most of my recipes to replace the necessary liquid.

Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Options
    I don't usually put links to studies here, because most of the time, in all honesty, they're not rigorous, and their numbers of people studied are far, far too low to make assessments. You can't study 25 people and correctly extrapolate to a large population--which they do all the time.

However, here's a link to the original sturdy report that included more than 350,000 people: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-32150-1#:~:text=Drawing on large-scale GWAS,cognitive functioning on physical activity.

The findings included the assessment that "Higher levels of moderate and vigorous physical activity lead to increased cognitive functioning." What's funny (OK, I find weird things funny) is that cognitive function levels did not have any affect on exercise. In other words, being smarter doesn't mean you're going to exercise more.

It also means something you already knew, Machka, that by getting Rowan up and moving, cycling, etc., you gave him the best possible chance to recover as much of his cognitive processes as was humanly possible. He is incredibly lucky to have you in his corner.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

:)

Thank you!

I subscribe to that magazine (https://www.nature.com/). I haven't read that particular study yet, but have seen similar studies.

It's good to be active! :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

It's a lovely sunny morning, but thunderstorms are due this afternoon. I'm hoping I don't get caught out in the rain.

Machka I have some of that auditory processing challenge, probably from some bad concussions. Conversations are tough, there never seems to be enough time between the lines for me to process and form a reply. So I just get quiet and live in my head. I am so thankful for this forum, where I can reply at my own speed!

Annie in Delaware

One of the things I do with my husband is to email him. We exchange at least one email each while I am at work, and in the evenings, I'll even email him from across the room sometimes.

He reads much slower than he used to, but like you say, he can read at his own speed and reply at his own speed.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Max's visit went well. He played some boogie-woogie on the keyboard, we talked about Agatha Christie, who I'm still reading, (currently Murder on the Orient Express), his book, Artemis Fowl. and then got on the bus. The journey was mainly a conversation about fonts. :) During our fish and chips lunch, at a lovely seafront window table, we discussed all the different languages we are learning, and their quirks. He has taken on Japanese as a challenge!
    I'm almost out of practice at talking to nearly teenage boys, but it went OK. We wandered back along the seafront in the sunshine and met my son outside their block.
    A bit pleased with myself as I was nervous. It's usually DH who has the one to ones with him.
    I strolled up the avenue to the bus stop, but stopped at the bakery to pick up two focaccia. Then I went to the posh butcher to buy the best Scotch Eggs in the world. Now recovering. :p
    I prepped the mushroom risotto while Max was here, so not too much to do this evening. I hope DH got to see some cricket and it wasn't rained off. It's nearly 2 hrs each way. He wanted to make the effort because it's the first day of the season and his friend will be there. <3

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »

Yesterday I went for my cataract one year post op appointment. My eye pressure is elevated in both eyes and that is surprising because I had titanium tubes inserted to relieve pressure when cataract surgery was done. Next appointment in 6 weeks. :-( This will postpone me going to Alaska end of May.

But the upside of yesterday was I got to go to Winco grocery store. It's a store 55 miles from home but near where my eye clinic is.. Mary and Lanetteand Margaret, Winco sells beef marrow bones or knuckle bones for $1.89/lb. They also sell chicken feet for $2.19/lb. So I stocked up on bones for my bone broth. I add veggies and spices.. garlic, basil, oregano, coriander and others. I've been making the bone broth for years and usually have ziplock bags frozen to use in most of my recipes to replace the necessary liquid.

Betsy in NW WA

Betsy - Crossing fingers we'll have a Winco here in our community by the end of the year; they have started construction. So excited. Walmart expects their grocery sales to diminish by 30%. I hadn't thought of using chicken feet in making bone broth but why not? I haven't seen them in any of the stores where I shop around here so Winco's additional item selection will be welcomed.

Wishing you the best with your eye situation, sorry the next appointment will postpone your Alaska trip. Hope it's an easy fix.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,739 Member
    Options
    Heather glad you and Max had a nice time,
    I didn't think when I went to Nashville that Tracy wouldn't get paid for her time off.Her pay ,pays for groceries and they are super low on everything..she gets paid tomorrow so im picking up after I leave here a gift card to a local homemade burger joint that they usually go to..
    Also i swear i put a necklace in my jacket pocket to bring to Carmine to wear tonight
    Its twisted leather with a pearlish thing on the front,very binary...
    Miles only slept 2 hrs last night so Tracy is beat ,any of you have suggestions on how to get him to sleep through the night.
    Kyle gets upset if he wakes him up,and im sure Carmine is the same so letting him cry himself to sleep i don't think is an option.
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Kim, read if you want... that's all
    Kim, as I said before, I am not cut out to be a caretaker. God Bless you for doing what you're doing now, but I agree with Lisa, she calls you "slave" and I would respond, "I am not anyone's slave." PERIOD. I'm glad you did what you did and walked away. IDK what to say about her taxes, but you may have to just let her pay the fines for not getting them done on time if she won't give you the correct information. Maybe you tell her that. Maybe just tell her you're going to STOP trying to help her so much. You're just going to do the basics until you can get be done with her. I'm glad you think had a wonderful childhood, but I agree with Heather. You've shared quite a bit that would indicate otherwise. Your mom's abusing you now and supported your brother abusing you. I'm sorry, but it's the truth, it's sad and you don't have to put up with it. You can give her the minimal care she needs.

Those cheeks, Rebecca!!! Athena has always been a beauty.

Kylia, glad your checkup went well!

6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels... kinda my everyday thing and I'm in a good place today.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday from Georgia! Temps up in the 80's... :) But, it's supposed to get chilly and lots of rain this weekend. No plans for Easter but got my two grands a few treats that I hope they will enjoy. They are now too old for Easter egg hunts.

Kylia ~ Glad you are getting good news about your heart. Hope you get the compuer problems fixed.

Kim ~ You are a blessing to your mom. Know that and stay strong.

Heather ~ Having one on one with Max was a sweet treat for him. Sounds like you two had good conversations. I am amazed at all of the activities your grands participate in. Music, sports, art etc. So well-rounded.

Not much to say!

Carol in GA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,891 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate doing self-care.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 3/15 (100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 5/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min -2x a day start April 1 7/60
    Arm weights twice a week 1/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 5/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9867, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 3/2 —(100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 19/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)26/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4 (100%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 5/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 13/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings (100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yogurt and raspberries for breakfast with 17 oz water bottle and coffee, more to come.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Not sure. Joked with hairdresser while getting hair cut. Everyone was laughing and joining in.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. I do this often in my meditations.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing)
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    GodMomKim wrote: »

Hi Gals,

some of this is just venting....

I know you just want to vent and aren't looking for advice. Vent away!

for those of you also dealing with older parents.... I know my mom is very limited in her hearing (especially without her hearing aids - which she hates to wear) and that she processes slower, but she will look at me with a completely blank look - give me no visual or verbal clue that she is participating in the conversation or even knows that I am talking to her, but when I ask what do you think, or did you hear me -- she says okay.... so I know at some level she is listening... It's hard to turn everything into an open ended question but has anyone come up with something to say to get feedback that is meaning full? I suggested that we deal with her taxes, at least call her tax person (who she will not tell me their name, company or phone number) But I think it is H&R Block - I told her I would like to know if she could move the appointment to an office closer to us, or do it in a way that we would not need two appointments. I know what town the tax person is in and it is 1- 1 1/2 hours drive away from me. She looked at me blankly - then I asked if she would like me to make the call - response was quit bugging me. So I don't know if just talking to her is bugging her, or taxes are bugging her or maybe to quote Lisa her cheese has just fallen off her cracker.

This happens a lot in my home. So much so that I took my husband to an audiologist to get his hearing checked. I was hopeful that is all it was. And I also got an appointment at the audiologist to get him to go. Turns out he's got perfect hearing - even hyper hearing - and I'm the one going deaf. :neutral:

Unfortunately, that means the reason he doesn't hear me is because the processing is slow and easily distracted.
    • If the TV is on and there is anything remotely interest on it ...
    • If he's reading an online newspaper ...
    • If he's thinking about something else ...
    • If he's making dinner ...
    • If he's doing something in the garden ...

He won't hear me.
    Sometimes he won't even hear that I've made a noise. I can say a complete sentence in the same room with him, and he won't react at all. When I finally attract his attention, he won't have realised I said something.

If he does hear that I'm making noise, he won't know what I am saying, and he'll tell me that I don't speak loud enough.

Because of the brain injury, he has Aphasia (a brain disorder where a person has trouble speaking or understanding other people speaking), and connected with that, he also experiences Auditory Processing Disorder
    https://www.acquiredbraininjury-education.scot.nhs.uk/impact-of-abi/communication-problems/auditory-processing-disorder/

Auditory processing difficulties:
    • Impair the person’s ability to distinguish between letters of similar sounds and therefore distinguish between words which sound similar e.g. ‘key’/’tea’.
    • Make it difficult for the person to understand connected speech. This is made even worse if the speech is rapid.
    • Impair the person’s ability to follow and keep up with conversation, especially in situations where there may be overlap of speakers and rapid exchanges of conversation.
    • Are exacerbated by background noise and any other competing auditory demands. This will have a significant impact on the person’s ability to process and understand speech.
    • Cause the person additional difficulties in situations where sound quality is poor e.g. poor quality T.V., railway station announcements.
    • May affect the person’s quality of life and reduce enjoyment of activities previously enjoyed e.g. music, theatre, T.V., socialising.
    • Cause difficulty locating where sounds come from.
    • May be confusing, upsetting and highly stressful.

So I often get the blank look ... and if I repeat myself, I get the irritated "Stop interrogating me! Leave me alone!"

This is what they recommend ...

How to Help the Person with Auditory Processing Disorder:
    • Before speaking with the person with auditory processing disorder (APD), make sure you have their full attention, they are facing you and you are in good light.
    • Slow speech down, use short sentences and give the person extra time to process what has been said.
    • Give information in short chunks, one bit at a time.
    • Repeat or rephrase information as necessary.
    • Try to communicate in quieter environments when possible, reducing any background noise. Turn off radio, T.V., noisy equipment etc.
    • Rooms with hard furnishings and an ‘echoing’ environment will present more challenges than a quieter room with softer furnishings to dampen down extraneous sound.
    • Try to ensure, during conversations including several people, that speakers try to:
    Avoid ‘overlapping’ each other’s speech.
    Slow down the rate of conversational turn taking.
    Keep sentences as short and simple as possible.
    • Be sensitive to any difficulties the person with APD may be experiencing. Modify your communication style if they appear to be having difficulty.
    • Writing down information/instructions can be helpful for some people. Advice on augmentative and alternative communication strategies to support verbal understanding may be helpful, especially if the person is also dysphasic.
    • Some people may benefit from auditory training, seek advice from audiology services.
    https://www.acquiredbraininjury-education.scot.nhs.uk/impact-of-abi/communication-problems/auditory-processing-disorder/how-to-help-the-person-with-auditory-processing-disorder/

I try to do those things most of the time, but I will admit that sometimes I get irritated.

This is day 15 and It has been hard, I cry every day. I feel so alone and a complete failure.

Kim in N. California

You are absolutely NOT a failure!!

dlfk202000 wrote: »
    edit- one other thing, have you found that she is worse in the evenings(the blank stares and odd comments?).

My husband is worse in the evenings ... it's because he's tired/fatigued.

He's also worse if he is stressed.

Machka in Oz

HMMMM my DH does the same thing! I get frustrated with him and feel like he is not listening to me so stop talking altogether. I will have to do some research on this. Thank you Machka for the information. He has no diagnosed brain injuries but used to box as a young man and got into a lot of fist fights and got into a motorcycle accident in his early 30’s so very likely this is part of the issue.

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Question about Easter dinner-
    Are you planning the traditional meal of ham, etc?
    Or are you doing something else?

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

We're doing something else. We're eating what we normally eat on a Sunday or Monday. We're not having "Easter dinner".

M in Oz

DH is the cook and he is planning lamb chops for Easter. We seldom eat them, maybe once or twice a year, sooo can’t wait! YUMMY!

RVRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Heather glad you and Max had a nice time,
    I didn't think when I went to Nashville that Tracy wouldn't get paid for her time off.Her pay ,pays for groceries and they are super low on everything..she gets paid tomorrow so im picking up after I leave here a gift card to a local homemade burger joint that they usually go to..
    Also i swear i put a necklace in my jacket pocket to bring to Carmine to wear tonight
    Its twisted leather with a pearlish thing on the front,very binary...
    Miles only slept 2 hrs last night so Tracy is beat ,any of you have suggestions on how to get him to sleep through the night.
    Kyle gets upset if he wakes him up,and im sure Carmine is the same so letting him cry himself to sleep i don't think is an option.

Rub Mile’s gums with whiskey before bedtime. Should help sleep through the night. Good teething medicine if not done every night! Too often and he will not sleep without it! Maybe some Benadryl? Also shouldn’t be a nightly thing but might help if he is teething, especially his molars.

RVRita
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I bought some chicken bone both and carrots and celery. Will start in slow cooker on Saturday. Also got the apple cider vinger pills. Sure hope this helps with the dry skin and help me lose some weight.
    Kim--HUGS!!
    Rita--Mother issues are not easy. Feel free to vent here all you want.
    So glad today is Thursday. I have a 3 day weekend coming up and DH works Saturday and Monday. Some much needed alone time for most of it. Taking friend home from the hospital on Saturday and another freind that had heart surgery to her follow up Monday afternoon.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3