WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2023

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,794 Member
    2023 Mindful May

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate good plumbers.

Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 1/15 100%,100%,80%,73%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 2/31 (84%,86%,94%,93%)
    6 min HIIT -1x a day start April 1 0/31 (93%)
    Arm weights twice a week 0/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%,50%)
    Meditation: daily. 2/31 (82%(started Feb)94%,100%)

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(100%,100%,0%,0)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 10818, (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%—-9,559,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 0/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 40/208/ —(100%,100%,100%,50%should be 86 by June1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)35/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4 (100%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 1/25 (100%,88%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 18/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——4/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700, (100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Do something kind for someone you really care about. I need to think about this and plot! I gave my son a gift card to Netflix. He needed something to make him smile.
    2. Focus on what you can do instead of what you can’t. I will try. Did this.
    3. Take a step toward an important goal no matter how small. I have to think about this.
    4. Send a friend a photo of a time you enjoyed together.
    5. Let someone know how much they mean to you and why.
    6. Look for people doing good and reasons to be cheerful.
    7. Make a list of what matters most to you and why.
    8. Set yourself a kindness mission and help others today.
    9. What values are important to you? Find ways to use them today.
    10. Be grateful for the little things, even in difficult times.
    11. Look around for things that give you a sense of awe and wonder.
    12. Listen to a favorite pieces of music and remember what it means to you.
    13. Find out about the values or traditions of another country.
    14. Get outside and notice the beauty in nature.
    15. Do something to contribute to your local community.
    16. Show your gratitude to people who are helping to make things better.
    17. Find a way to make what you do today meaningful.
    18. Send a hand written note to someone you care about.
    19. Reflect on what makes you feel valued and purposeful.
    20. Share 3 photos of things you find meaningful or memorable.
    21. Look up at the sky and remember we are a part of something bigger.
    22. Find a way to help a project or charity you care about.
    23. Recall 3 things that you’ve done that you are proud of.
    24. Make choices that have a positive impact on others today.
    25. Ask someone else what matters most to them and why.
    26. Remember an event in your life that was really meaningful.
    27. Focus on how your actions make a difference to others.
    28. Do something special and revisit in your mind tonight.
    29. Today do something to car for the natural world.
    30. Share a quote you find inspiring to give others a boost.
    31. Find three reasons to be hopeful about the future.
    RVRita in NM
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,429 Member
    Love the tulip photos Barbie!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,350 Member
    Good morning, afternoon and evening, all, whichever the case may be...

Rori - So glad you got checked for injury! As Barbara AHMOD noted, your words were profound, "“Slow down. Accept help and expertise. Treasure my health and especially my mobility. Feeling lucky, grateful and as Heather said, humbled.” Stone truth, that. It's a pity that we all tend to learn these after we've had a brush with disaster, but I think it's human nature.

Heather - Thinking about you and your cast...

Terri - Hope your recovery continues apace, as well...

Barbara AHMOD - Your ability to be aware of your emotional substructure is admirable, always: "Joe just suggested I limit my onscreen time with a kitchen timer as he noticed I spend as much time on my butt in the office as he does in the red chair. He’s trying very hard to lose weight, get more active, eat better. I’m amazed and grateful (and a teensy bit resentful >:) )." It's a gift, knowing yourself that well. Your Joe is a lucky man. I would have probably bonked him with the nearest non-lethal weapon.

Rebecca - I've not said much because there's just so little to say, no advice to give, just all the hugs and sympathy in the world, my dear. I'd offer to yank him up by his lapels if he gets near me anytime soon, but the Navy just doesn't come through Arkansas that often... :wink: So much love whooshing your way...

Trying to convince myself to get outside this afternoon to yank the nasty common vetch out of the fenceline, but feeling a little fragile at this minute. Still got laundry to fold... and then I'll decide.

Love y'all,
    Later,
    Lisa in AR

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    I swear in that piece they did from Virginia on the HW Bush I caught a split second glance of Owain
    Maybe contact the Today show and see if they can send you a copy of that piece and go carefully through it..just a thought.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,927 Member
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Wednesday!
    My eyes take forever to get back to normal after dilation! I think from now on I will be sure to make appointments in the afternoon like yesterdays. I felt self conscious "hollywooding" as my DH calls it, but any lights hurt. Definition- wearing sunglasses even inside. Even when I went to bed 6 hours later I still only had a small sliver of blue showing. Anyway, appointment went well. I did get a prescription for bifocals so that I could get transition lenses again. My eyes have always been light sensitive. Working inside and outside, I have had two pairs of glasses on my head at work! The Costco eye care person was understanding about the bright lights and trying to fit my new lenses. I like the frames I picked out as I also got polarized bifocal sunglasses. Those should be ready in about a week. I am trusting him that I picked out good frames since it was soooo bright in there. There isn't much prescription, but the transition lenses will make a huge difference in my comfort.

Healing thoughts!
    Strong choices!
    Lots of love!

Kylia in Ohio with her long johns on again!

My eyes are like that too- stay dilated for hours. It really freaked dh out when I went in for each of my cataract surgeries because they just did one eye at a time so one eye was normal and the other was totally dilated (no color showing in my eye at all).
    After having them do both eyes for the exam in the doctor's office, I have to wear my sunglasses AND the little plastic disposable ones they have, just to be able to see enough to drive home.
    I never go outside without my sunglasses on, even though my regular glasses are progressives- not dark enough for me, unless it is night or raining ;)
    Need to go see if they can buff out the scratches on one the sunglasses from my fall- I have been wearing them but annoying. Between the big scratch and the floaters, can get a bit annoying at times.

Weather has turned cold here too. Last week we were sweating in tanktop/capri leggings, today I have my flannels on and will put my rain pants/coat on when I walk- not getting soaked again if it starts raining like yesterday.

Debbie

• dlfk202000
    Re: dilation. My eye doctor offers to look at my eyes with a machine, that's not covered by insurance, but it's maybe $25, so I have her do that rather than dilate my eyes. I'm going again in about a week, so I'll pay more attention to what it's called. Because of that, I haven't had my eyes dilated in almost 10 years. It's really nice.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

ETA. I take blood pressure meds, but my BP is under control. I think my kidneys were compromised with my three pregnancies. I had pih with all three, pre eclampsia with the middle one, and gestational diabetes with the last two. Even on insulin during the last one, so my kidneys were abused.

Flea

my eye dr has that machine too and found the tear using it. She does dilate my eyes every few years but uses the machine the rest of the time. Kaiser was very impressed with the images she sent them about the tear. They said there is a good chance they would have not found it until it was a lot bigger if I had just gone to them. She is a private eye dr that our insurance covers well with(they don't cover that test either but worth it)
  • dlfk202000
    Sorry about the falls Heather and Rori-- sure doesn't take much and DOWN we go. Simple things that we do all the time and then OOOPS.
    Rest up so you can totally heal.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Hi Gals,
    Rori and Heather - Take care ladies!!! Thank goodness you are both in such good shape!

Kylia and others - I respond slowly to having my eyes dilatated too, and never drive myself – that is one appointment that is Always with a friend or uber/lyft.

Barbie the tulips are wonderful, all of mine are round tips, I should look for some pointed tips to add in.

Growing tulips – I had a ton of trouble getting them to grow until the garden center here recommended loose soil, with VERY little summer water, I guess they tend to rot. So I have mine in a planter box that I don’t water all summer. But this year I have moved all sorts of stuff, and the tulips will be moved to a summer dry spot after the leaves have died back.

Rita – sending hugs and patience with yourself!

Rebecca - So glad your other sons are sharing with your hurt. I am sure that helps in not feeling like you are overreacting. Hopefully he will have grown up soon and have the wisdom to reach back out to family.

Debbie – I have the rain and cooler weather back like you do and am hoping to make another big push on weeds and those issues while the soil is still damp.

Kim in N. California
  • LisaInArkansas
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    I think we would all like to shake some sense into Rebecca's son, but Lisa you had me laughing as from the pictures I think he is on the taller side, you're pretty short so maybe you could goose him but probably not "yank him up by his lapels"

giggling Kim

Ha! Yeah, you got me on that one. Much like the chihuahuas I've known, I have no idea what size I am. The first time I scolded Johnny about something (he was 6'3" tall at 15), he patted me on the head and told me things would be fine. The next time, I climbed up on the couch. Didn't help much, but made me feel better! :blush:
  • LisaInArkansas
    Vicki - I'm so sorry you're having a bad reaction to the shot. Get yourself to a doctor, dear heart, and take care of yourself. You're important to all of us, as well.

Momzilla - Many good wishes for easy resolutions to the ongoing issues, and for a swift and painfree recovery. That's a lot of health issues piling up, glad there is identification of what needs done so they can be resolved.

Well, I got out in the yard and was able to clear half the fenceline of the vetch. My garden cart is full and overflowing with it, but my energy level petered out at about the 30-minute mark. I left the cart parked there, waiting for me to get back to it. I've learned that when I'm done, pushing past that mark simply puts me out of action for even longer afterward. Not worth it. Knowing my limitations has been a huge learning curve. It continues still.

Later, y'all,
    Much love,
    Lisa in AR
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,294 Member
    MomZilla ~ Congrats on your 50 lb weight loss and condolences on all the physical problems you have been through and are facing. Do you have a name we could call you?

Please continue to visit as we love to chat!

Carol in GA