Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,328 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    Ginny - thank you for sharing the situation your SIL is in. Good grief. Gives me the chills. And here I thought it would be best to never get married again because old fellas are looking for a nurse or a purse. I had no concept that just having a female roomie can bring similar problems. :o

Maybe the lesson here is to actually have a "renter agreement" of some type delineating who is responsible for what, grounds for termination/eviction, etc. Like Sheldon Cooper's roommate agreement on Big Bang Theory. :p But agreements are no guarantee if there's not an affordable and easy enforcement arm.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I would rather move into a smaller place on my own than to have a roommate.

I have lived alone in an apartment for many years and was just fine with that. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Mary - that makes sense to have a limit. The place we rented, we paid all utilities and insurances so it really made no sense that they had that rule.

Heather - my friend travels alone and camps while she does it. I always worry about her.
    I’m like you, I don’t like being alone for too long.

Margaret - I understand your frustration with the neighbours.
    I have to say though that most renters really are responsible and take care of the property. Our daughter is having a terrible issue getting things fixed with their landlord, the oven isn’t working, the hot water in the kitchen is not working, the hot water to the tub is not enough for her to wash her hair, the dishwasher is broken. He refuses to send a repairman without seeing the problem for himself, but refuses to come inside to see since Covid. I told her she needs to call the landlord tenant board.

Tracey in Edmonton

Australia rental info (not that anyone asked) :smiley:

Most places here are rented through a rental agency, and you can find most places up for rent here, on this site:
    https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-hobart+-+greater+region,+tas/list-1?activeSort=price-asc

I chose the greater Hobart area as a filter, but you could enter just about anywhere in Australia. :)

The rental agency provides a buffer zone between the tenant and the landlord. In other words, the tenants have their privacy and the landlords do not come onto the property. I like that. :)
    We have avoided places that appear to create the opportunity for a landlord to drop by ... such as if they do not include the garage in the area available for rent because the garage is being used for storage by the landlord.

The tenancy act says:

55. Quiet enjoyment
    (1) A tenant has the right of quiet enjoyment of residential premises without interference by the owner of the premises.
    (2) An owner of residential premises must not interfere with the reasonable peace, comfort and privacy of the tenant in using those premises.
    Penalty: Fine not exceeding 50 penalty units.

Plus there is a long list of rules around right of entry.

56. Right of entry
    (1) Subject to this section, an owner of residential premises must not enter the premises or permit any other person to enter the premises without the tenant's permission.
    Penalty: Fine not exceeding 50 penalty units.

The tenancy act helps ensure that the landlords provide a place that is functional and in good condition, and that they take care of the place, but not personally ... if something isn't right, we contact the rental agency who tells the landlord, who calls one of the designated repair services who come and fix it.

Of course, if we want to make changes we contact the rental agency to ask them, and they ask the landlord. :)

Most of the time, the tenant pays all the utilities except maybe water. Occasionally there are units with utilities included.

And, a bit different from what I've encountered in Canada, rent is paid weekly not monthly. So if you look at that link above, you'll see places for rent for, say, $350/week.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka love your clear explanation about files vs programs. Was having some “compatibility anxiety” from back in the bad old days… ;}

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. May: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Yes, in the old days, there certainly wasn't so much compatibility! Now there are heaps of different options that will open whatever's out there. :smiley:

I mentioned Microsoft Store earlier ...

I don't recall seeing Microsoft Store with anything older than Windows 10, but if you've got 10 or 11, go to Start and search for Microsoft Store.

When it opens, search for "spreadsheet", changes the filter settings to Apps and Free, and you'll get all sorts of options.

Do check the ratings. I would be uncomfortable choosing one with a 1 star rating.
    Also check the release date ... I like my apps to be within the past 5 years.
    You can also do a google search on an interesting choice (copy and paste the name of the choice into google) to see if there are any more reviews or advice about the product.

9z3cadmunzw7.png

Machka in Oz

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,101 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I am definitely in favor of spelling things out in the lease. After renting several apartments, then twenty years later, I rented a house. The lease said I should mow the lawn so I did that, but I never did anything else outside. Except I finally trimmed a lilac bush that had grown spindly and into the pathways. I was afraid I would get into trouble for messing with the landscaping, as with an apartment. The maintenance on that house was awful. They never did fix several things, and I finally moved out over a disagreement. I should have sued them to get my security deposit back, but I was overwhelmed with other things.

Mary, sorry you have to deal with all that.

Heather and Rori, have a grand time!

Annie in Delaware
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Between the Canadian smoke and the pollen im in a puffed eye and sneezy haze even with Nazacort.
    Well Tracy texted the daycare lady that she was going to use and asked about a trial.and the lady flipped out on her saying she planned on having him until kindergarten. And in the contract she has all sorts of vacation times and 4 personal days and even if the family takes vacation she still gets paid..
    So im guessing that daycare is out.. so the hunt begins again.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Kids here, still trying to read/catch up on posts. But real quick...
    Pip- Your drink sounds Berry Communist.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the pictures, Rori. So beautiful. You and Heather look lovely.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • LisaInArkansas
    Options
    Ack, Rebecca! I couldn't remember whether he was in Guam or elsewhere! The military will have shelters ready, I'm sure... Keep us posted.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Heather & Rori-- Great picture. Hope you have a good visit.
    Mary--Pray all goes well and she leaves without much damage.
    Debbie--Prayers for your mom. Doesn't sound good with her roommate.
    Tracey--That is sure a cute chicken bag.
    Rori--Thanks for sharing the pictures, what a great trip
    Blessings,Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Tracey - Forgot to say I love the chicken bag! Rude puns always make me laugh, and combined with images, even better. Hope your lunch is lovely.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    Agree there are difficult tenants and landlords who also do not take care of issues on a property. I hope I do not have to be either one.