WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Then my son asked if one of us wanted to go with Max to the Open Air Theatre to see Twelfth Night tonight. We said no, because I don't like Open Air Theatre

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Don't like open air theatre?

We like it but they don't often have it here. It's usually more casual and comfortable. Back in the day when I lived in Winnipeg, I would cycle in a particular park in the evenings where they often had various forms of open air theatre and I'd stop by for a while. :)

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    Ladies - at least one of you has mentioned a liking for Louise Penny detective novels. I just finished the first season of "Three Pines" featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache on Amazon Prime. Takes place in rural Quebec. Hope they have another season.

I'm on the list for several of her books from the library. Hope they are as good as the TV series. ;)

Lanette B)
    Rainy and chilly SW WA State where I was putting a tarp over the chicken run at 6 am just as it started to rain.

:) I started reading the Louise Penny books before "Three Pines" was on TV so I was acquainted with the characters already. I have read ten books in the series so far. I highly recommend that you start reading with the first book in the series "Still Life" and read them in order. The development of the characters and their relationships with each other has been very important to me in the stories of each of the books.

<3 Barbie

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It’s Saturday June 10 and I’m putting off walking my dog Lulu by posting on here! Not sure where I’ll end up, but this is a good start. The website I’m used to is shutting down, sigh. Hope everyone has a great day today!

:) Welcome to the friendliest and most supportive group of women. I hope you will come back, get to know us, join any topic that looks interesting, and share your journey with us. I walk my dog as soon as I get up, then eat my breakfast while reading this thread, then walk my dog again for a longer time.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Ladies - at least one of you has mentioned a liking for Louise Penny detective novels. I just finished the first season of "Three Pines" featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache on Amazon Prime. Takes place in rural Quebec. Hope they have another season.

I'm on the list for several of her books from the library. Hope they are as good as the TV series. ;)

Lanette B)
    Rainy and chilly SW WA State where I was putting a tarp over the chicken run at 6 am just as it started to rain.

Lanette, we read A World of Curiosities in book club last month. I had never read any of her books - I liked it!

________

Heather, the ballerina is elegant and beautiful and I love your painting.
    _______

Today I am going to lunch with Marcella Fierro and four other women of a certain age. I can hardly wait!

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    People do have a way of not responding to emails and leaving others in the dark. Just about every day I am waiting for a reply from someone. Since Thursday afternoon I have been waiting on replies from at least 3 people.

I keep reminding myself that my questions are probably not the only things going on in their lives. But it does become a bit annoying at times.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    People do have a way of not responding to emails and leaving others in the dark. Just about every day I am waiting for a reply from someone. Since Thursday afternoon I have been waiting on replies from at least 3 people.

I keep reminding myself that my questions are probably not the only things going on in their lives. But it does become a bit annoying at times.

M in Oz

________

Machka,

I am SO glad I don’t feel compelled to check email anymore. My work emails are defunct, thank goodness. Email is my least favorite way of communicating.

Now that I am retired, I let people know that I am not good at checking and responding to email so their expectations can be adjusted.

On the other hand, I am excellent at responding to texts and pretty good about phone messages.

I have never figured out a way to keep my email clutter under control, so it’s a huge chore for me to wade through it looking for a message that I care about.

My bad.

Karen in Virginia
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Heather, your ballerina is beautiful!

I'm just not a huge beach person. I LOVE the water, mind you. I just don't do "beaches". Like M said, I love the water, I love the smell, I love the sounds, I love being there. I just don't DO them. Mainly, I don't do hot and I don't do sun. I get overheated way too easily, so the mere energy it takes to drag a chair and umbrella to a beach so that I could sit, with my feet in the water, carefully shaded, completely exhausts me. Then there's getting all that stuff back to the car. Now, give me a zero-entry, beach-type pool in my backyard and I'm there daily, doing laps and then relaxing, watching my grands! And we have a large enough backyard for it. We just don't have the funds for it! LOL.
    And I totally agree with you, Barbie! We love road trips. Most of the time it's just "up north" to Brainerd to one of "our spots" for a long weekend or more and then day trips out of there. We find winding roads and out of the way nooks. And we have to be near water.

I was just thinking the same thing, Carol...
    Kim, thanks for the update. Glad you're getting things done around your house and getting back to normal. How are things going with Mom's PT and moving about her house? Is she behaving?

Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    June 2023 Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate a girls day out.

Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 0/15 (100%,100%,80%,73%,.1%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 2/30 (84%,86%,94%,93%,65%)
    6 min HIIT -1x a day start April 1- 1/30 (93%,0)
    Arm weights twice a week 1/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%,50%,0)
    Meditation: daily. 6/30 (82%(started Feb)94%,100%, 74%)

Feeling overwhelmed and lethargic this month. Taking a break from the list above until I feel more in control. I am also having a bursitis/arthritis/tendinitis attack this month. Doctor prescribed something for me to try. Which doesn’t seem to work after using for 2 weeks.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 5/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7840 (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 76/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83% should be 103.2 by July 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)40/94 w(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,(100%,100%,100%,0%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 7/15 (100%,88%,100,100%,100%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 21/12 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 6/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200 (100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Decide to look for what’s good every day this month. Started with friendly people.
    2. Say positive things in your conversations with others. I will try, but people annoy me.
    3. Re-frame a worry and try to find a helpful way to think about it. This will be about my son. Not sure how to re-frame it but will find a way today. I must realize he is a full grown man and in charge of his own life.
    4. Take a photo of something that brings you joy and share it.
    5. Think of 3 things you’re grateful for and write them down. 1. My family, 2. A roof over my head, 3. Enough food to eat.
    6. Get out into green space and feel the joy that nature brings. every day!
    7. Do something healthy that makes you feel good. 2 walks so far. And therapist today.
    8. Find joy in music: sing, play, dance, listen or share. To be accomplished.
    9. Ask a friend what made them happy recently. Did this on my trip to Lubbock to get my car back finally. Was a great day!
    10. Bring joy to others by doing something kind for them. Will report on this later!
    11. Eat good food that makes you happy and really savor it.
    12. Write a gratitude letter to thank someone.
    13. Take a light-hearted approach. Choose to see the funny side.
    14. Share a happy memory with someone who means a lot to you.
    15. Look for something to be thankful for where you least expect it.
    16. Speak to others in a warm and friendly manner.
    17. Take time to notice things that you find beautiful.
    18. Look for something good in a difficult situation.
    19. Get outside and find the joy in being active.
    20. Rediscover and enjoy a fun childhood activity.
    21. Send a positive note to a friend who needs encouragement.
    22. Watch something funny and enjoy how it feels to laugh.
    23. Create a playlist of uplifting songs to listen to.
    24. Bring to mind a favorite memory you feel grateful for.
    25. Show your appreciation to people who are helping others
    26. Make time to do something playful just for the fun of it.
    27. Be kind to you. Do something that brings you joy.
    28. Notice how positive emotions are contagious among people.
    29. Share a friendly smile with people you see today.
    30. Make a list of the joys in your life and keep adding to it.

RVRita
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I enjoyed a walk with a friend on this warm morning. Now that I’m home I am enjoying the air-conditioner. It is plenty cool for now & I’ve turned it off for now. 😉 I’ll adjust it as needed. 🌹

Katla
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Good morning, chickadees.

Heather: 🥰 the elegant ballerina, and the Magic Flower Tree.

I live near the coast. There are so many beaches to choose from, all with their own appeal. The West Coast of Ireland is our favourite place to visit because of the beaches.

It would never occur to me to wear headphones when out walking. I see so many people oblivious to the world around them.

Time for my Saturday trip to the local shops.

e2xyti7ed0vw.jpeg

☘️Terri

Terri- I love your greeting to all of us. One of my aunts used to call us her little chickadees and it makes me smile. She was such a sweet little lady(little as in maybe 5', like me).
    I need to google the west coast of Ireland to see the beaches there. I love the beaches on the west coast of U.S.

Woke up with hip and knee really hurting, then I moved a few cats and it felt better. It was twisted slightly and one of the cats laying on it. Hate to disturb them but had to. Got up and fed them and as soon as I started walking around, it felt better.

Hoping to get some time in the front yard to deadhead the roses again. Even if I get just an hour that will really make a difference. One of my roses I will need the step stool for. The plant is in a wine barrel but has gotten so big with long stemmed red roses. Some of them are almost to the eaves of the house. This is a rose I transplanted from the side of the driveway(dh kept complaining because he scratched his truck door when he would open the door. Dug it up the best I could, even using a chain saw to get part of it out. Didn't know if it would survive but it sure has and now gets more water so is thriving.

Have to go out shopping for MIL. She has started cooking again which is great but would be even better if she cooked something other than her pork shoulder,cut in pieces with daikon and carrots with soysauce and mirin. It is good but not so often. I am going to see if dh can suggest her making her hijiki salad again- that is really good. If not, I will have to make it.
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    🌎 🌤️ 🌟. I am missing several books from my shelves at my home. I hope to find them at my daughters place. The books I want were wild bird & animal books. Keeping my fingers crossed. 🤞🏻

Katla