June 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,802 Member
    Options
    I bought some of those salt tabs recommended but I am not running far enough to need them. Maybe playing tennis will require. But they taste REALLY salty to me. 😳😂✅
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I don't know... I'd argue that it isn't the smile that reveals who the real runners are. Sometimes it's a grimace and pushing through hard stuff.

@polskagirl01 An Eastern European smile can look an awful lot like a Westerners' grimace, right?
    written with respect, love, and humor

It's a stereotype that easterners don't smile much. :):):)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart You did great in those conditions. Running your face into a spider web is the worst!

You're doing great @chris_in_cal !

You're doing great @polskagirl01 . So glad you seem to be having a bit more energy lately. That s'mores looks really good.

Great running @Scott6255 . Glad the salt tabs are working for you.

• felicityb2026
    felicityb2026 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks @quilteryoyo 🙏🏼 💖🌟
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    June Goal: 105 Miles

6/1: 6.25 miles
    6/3: 10.25 miles
    6/6: 7.05 miles
    6/7: 6.55 miles
    6/8: 3.11 miles
    6/11: 8.36 miles
    6/13: 6.26 miles
    6/14: 7.02 miles
    6/15: 6.02 miles

60.87/105 miles completed for June

It was another hot and humid morning. I ran 6 miles today. I didn't see any skunks today, but I did see lots of kittens. I also ran face first into another spider web.

exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    Way to adjust your run @Laurz9191 . Great run, even if a bit of a struggle.

@katharmonic I'm sorry the recovery is going to be longer than you had expected. I'm sure it is hard to be patient when you feel ok. Hang in there. Those five weeks will be in your rearview mirror in no time. I'm really glad everything is healing well

Nice run @kgirlhart . Sounds like you need to invent a spider web guard for runners.

Great running @Scott6255
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    Zaxa2021 wrote: »
    I'm very proud of the 5 mile runs, I love seeing the progress I've been making.

That’s awesome! You’re doing great. It is such a great feeling to see progress.
    Next up - VO2 max thoughts. So mine has been dropping a little bit since I injured my lower back/ hip/ whatever in late April. My May mileage was down and then I got a cold in June so my running has been limited. At first I thought the VO2 max was dropping because I was injured or ill but as I recover from both setbacks it seems like it was dropping because I was losing conditioning. 😏 And I am totally NOT impressed by how fast that has happened - in less than 2 months I went from 40.5 to 38.5 on my watch.

I try to take VO2 max from my watch with a grain of salt. It’s not really VO2 max after all. It’s a formula that uses your HR at a given pace and creates more of an estimate/correlate to VO2 max. I love seeing that number tick up a point or two during fall and winter training but also try not to take it too hard when it drops during the summer. Garmin’s formula doesn’t take weather conditions into account so I see a 3-4 point drop from peak training during cold temps to struggle runs with the worst of the summer conditions. All that to say, the watch VO2 max does give an estimate of fitness but it’s not the end all be all. Don’t let it get you down. Fitness comes back and that number will bump up as you go.

@felicityb2026 Here’s hoping your hip feels better. What makes it dodgy? Old injury?
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @tarun_yadavA I’m happy to hear you may have gotten to the root of your injury. I hope that means a lasting fix.

@Scott6255 I had the same feeling with the salt tabs, feeling better at the end. Such a game changer.
    @SummerSkier I’ve never tried one outside of a run. When I have taken them I am sweating so much that I taste the citrus flavor and not really any salty.

@polskagirl01 That s’more looks soooo good! And your garden looks nice. You did a lot of work on that pile!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Poles would argue they are Central Europeans rather than Eastern.
    I was wondering this in my little quip, I'll defer to your boots on ground.

I hope there is treasure buried under the mats at the bottom of your mysterious big pile. :)
    Gardening is great, I hope it works out.