Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Just this weekend I had a supposed fitness and nutrition coach tell me that I can't lose weight if I eat after 6:00 PM.
    Yeah, they aren't the one to go to for nutrition advice. Lol, how many people in other countries eat after 9pm for dinner?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    "Body recomposition isn't possible with a calorie deficit"
    Gaining muscle is definitely a bit harder on a calorie deficit since it's catabolic whereas building muscle is anabolic. Your nutrition would have to be spot on especially with protein intake.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    My family rarely eats dinner before 7pm, and sometimes not until after 8pm. 9pm would be pushing it due to my tendency to get heartburn from lying down too soon after a meal.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @Hiawassee88
    I wholeheartedly agree. The only thing that makes or breaks weight loss is an energy deficit. Nothing else and even that only needs to be accomplished on average. There are a whole bunch of ways to get to a deficit but that is important only to a specific person. The energy deficit is what counts. Whatever works, works. Whatever doesn't, doesn't.
  • Harleyb87
    Harleyb87 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My 2 favorites are
    1. Your body will go into starvation mode
    2. If your not losing weight up your calories
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,814 Member
    Options
    Harleyb87 wrote: »
    My 2 favorites are
    1. Your body will go into starvation mode
    2. If your not losing weight up your calories

Mmmmmmmm I DO lose weight when I increase calories. In fact, am doing that right now, and expect to be at my lowest in months when I weigh in tomorrow.

Sorry! 🦄

When I stall higher than I’d like for maintenance, or notice that I’m nap’ish in the afternoon, bumping the calories up always kicks things in gear. I think for some folks, either can indicate under-fueling.

Yeah, blaming starvation mode makes me want to reach through and slap some folks. They’re also usually the ones under eating, tired, low energy, and hitting it too hard. Suggestions to increase fall on deaf ears.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    That lifting weights as you get older is too dangerous. We’ve had conversations about whether heavy deadlifts are age appropriate on here, but I am still astounded by medical personnel who think people over a certain age shouldn’t lift - regardless of weight. I’ve been told many times that I should ease back on my lifting and do something “easier” like Pilates or yoga (and that’s probably another fitness myth - I don’t think either of those is easier!).
    It is not only a matter of "easier" but also a matter of being "less dangerous". Older people are at higher risk of osteoporosis, and lifting weights is very dangerous for them. Whether or not it is actually harmful will depend on their specific situation, which is why a conversation with a doctor is recommended before doing any exercise, including weight lifting. While such conversations (and acting on them) may not eliminate bad outcomes, they will almost certainly reduce their probability.

I have recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis, specifically in my spine. I've been lifting for roughly 10 years now and, per a chiropractor and a physiotherapist, I need to continue lifting. My GP knows nothing about exercise, I don't even ask her.
    You can do whatever you want, including hurting yourself, but you may want to look into what chiropractors, physiotherapists and doctors actually know. Let's just say that not asking someone is not generally considered the best strategy to find out what they actually know. As for chiropractic, see lecture 3 of Harriet Hall's series on science-based medicine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKxZmDRkQnI

Apparently you don't understand that "per a chiropractor and a physiotherapist" means that's what a chiropractor and a physiotherapist told them. So they have looked into what a chiropractor and a physiotherapist actually know, as well as what their doctor knows (apparently not much, unsurprisingly).
  • ozitelli
    ozitelli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts about microbiomes and gut health? I know it’s becoming a widely researched area.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    ozitelli wrote: »
    Any thoughts about microbiomes and gut health? I know it’s becoming a widely researched area.

I don't have any thoughts on them - but I suggest you start a new thread asking the question.

This one is about diet/ fitness myths so I'm not sure you'll get many answers here.
  • ninerbuff
    edited June 2023
    Options

• otterseverywhere
    otterseverywhere Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The carnivore diet fad that is popular right now is cringe worthy.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Vshred and his body type eating advertisement

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,814 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is the ad that showed up this morning.

It showed a horribly wrinkled and liver spotted woman with crazy green eyeshadow and nicotine colored grey hair next to a smooth faced, Instagrammish silver haired older woman with bright blue eyes. It was supposed to be before/after.

Yeah, I need that supplement.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    The truth boils down to what my Primary Care physician says.