What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, Thursday:

Casual walk with a friend, about 2.6 miles averaging around 2.9mph when moving. Garmin continued its bizarre pattern of giving me a VO2max upgrade and/or a "fitness age" youth enhancement for this slow, not-really-exercise walk. I don't get it.

I wasn't scheduled to go to open rowing as a volunteer, but decided to go over and help with our newly-minted (semi-minted?) rowers from this year's class. Ended up in bow of a quad with 3 new rowers, rowing a little myself, but mostly coaching them, making them do drills to understand things better viscerally, teaching them (or trying to) how to do river turns (where you back on one side while simultaneously rowing on the other side), and setting up (stabilizing) the boat so they could row together with less tippiness.

It was fun, not much workout, but kind of exhausting (from the standpoint of a natural introvert striving to simulate extroversion for 2 hours ;) ).

Today, Friday, I rowed bow in the double with my usual group. Row was cut short by thunder: I'm not very risk-tolerant on a recreational row, so as soon as we heard it we spun the boat (river turn!) and headed back to the dock. Just under 3k rowed, less than half usual. Tomorrow's weather forecast doesn't look rowing friendly either, but I'm hoping for improvement.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I did 15 minutes on the elliptical early this morning, then 20 minutes running on a treadmill a few hours later. Running inside a lot more lately because of the smoke.

When I was younger, I used to donate blood occasionally. I've seen online where some places pay for that but at the clinic here donations have always been given freely and unpaid. Anyway, I started donating more regularly after 9-11. A few years ago the local clinic was renovated. They only take plasma donations now, instead of whole blood, so I've just continued on doing that from time to time. I went again today, but now with MFP I have a better idea about how much protein I'm getting. I deliberately went over on protein by a bit today.
  • BlondieJenn75
    BlondieJenn75 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    40 minutes on the treadmill, and Caroline Girvan's 10 Minute Abs 😁
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I bought several different jump ropes and will try to learn to jump rope over the next 30 days as a cardio and balance activity. I'm a true beginner, so I'm guessing that it may take a while before I get proficient.

On ESPN today was images from the World Jump Rope Championship. Now you have a new goal! lol
  • nossmf
    Options
    Cardio:

Grocery shopping - 90 minutes
    Walking dog - 30 minutes

Weights: Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    BB RDL 4x10
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Seated Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend 4x12
    Suitcase Carry 3x40s
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Took a new route for my walk today in a different part of our neighborhood that felt a little flatter. Walked out about a half mile then just turned around and came back on the other side of the street. Walk was 1.12 miles and took 29 minutes which was pretty slow but the point was to go easy this week, especially after being on my feet for 3 hours straight making homemade pizzas last night for my son's birthday. I was so sore last night, I was kind of surprised I could walk at all this morning. It took me a bit to get going but I still managed to go on a walk. It was already getting super hot when I went so I had to cut it short for multiple reasons.

Good for you! It's almost always better to do some movement that next day when stiff/sore (as long as it's overworked muscles and such, not an injury). Moving seems to loosen things up, almost "oil the joints" a bit, so reduce discomfort. Needn't be a full regular workout - whatever that may be; can just be some stretching or a short walk. You're doing the right things, @justanotherjen13!
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ann, interesting stuff on this page (haven’t looked backwards on this thread). I rowed crew in high school, and enjoy the memories of being on the river. We had 8 (wo)man sculls with a coxswain. A great sport.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Spent an hour pulling weeds in the back yard. Some of them had grown so much in this heavy rain summer that the stalks were an inch thick and required actually setting up with a deadlift stance and pulling with the legs.
  • justanotherjen13
    justanotherjen13 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Good for you! It's almost always better to do some movement that next day when stiff/sore (as long as it's overworked muscles and such, not an injury). Moving seems to loosen things up, almost "oil the joints" a bit, so reduce discomfort. Needn't be a full regular workout - whatever that may be; can just be some stretching or a short walk. You're doing the right things, @justanotherjen13!

Yeah, I think it really helped. When I first got up, I was so stiff (just from being on my feet for hours...carrying around 287lbs is rough on everything), I didn't think I could actually go on a walk. I ended up waiting a good 2 hours before I left and still had trouble getting down the stairs because everything hurt. But I went out, tried to stay in a flat area and went slow. I felt much better after I got home. I still had a little trouble getting up the stairs because my joints were sore but otherwise getting up and moving around felt better after the walk. I'm glad I went and will try that route again tomorrow (it's also nice having different houses to look at).
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Options
    I did the usual 15 minutes early morning elliptical and went to the pool in the afternoon. 1300 scm (short course meters, 25m lanes) mostly 100m front crawl but with a 100 IM mixed in towards the end for fun. Recovery feels better than after the last swim too, maybe assisted by another 15 on the elliptical this evening to help loosen up.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's group ride was fun, though much hotter and more humid than I'd like. Rode 9 miles to the start, then the 25 mile course, then after some food/drink, 9 miles home.
    I started the 25 mile route with my regular group, but after 5 miles I decided that I wasn't up to keeping their pace, and didn't want to work that hard during a fun ride. I dropped back and joined a more casual paced group to finish the ride. Hotter than heck either way. Lots of fluid, salty chips and a regular coke perked me up for the 9 mile ride back home.

Rest day today, with maybe a few minutes of jumping rope if I'm motivated, lol.
  • justanotherjen13
    Options
    I ended up going back to my old route for today's walk because someone swept through the neighborhood and overtook all the pokegyms so I needed to take them back for Team Valor, lol. That was all the motivation I needed for a harder walk today. I did skip the gym up the steep hill from my house because I don't have the energy for that hike right now. But I got the other three gyms during my 1.36-mile walk.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @justanotherjen13 Too bad you're on the red team. Blue, for the win! :smiley::wink:
  • nossmf
    Options
    Didn't realize that's still a thing, lol. I remember when the craze first started, there was a pokegym located at the heart of my actual gym. Reportedly drew in a number of new gym members as a result, wonder how much the gym owner paid to make THAT happen, lol.
  • justanotherjen13
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Didn't realize that's still a thing, lol. I remember when the craze first started, there was a pokegym located at the heart of my actual gym. Reportedly drew in a number of new gym members as a result, wonder how much the gym owner paid to make THAT happen, lol.

There are quite a few other people in my neighborhood that actively hunt pokemon. Someone got to level 40 or whatever it is and started asking for gyms and more stops to be added all over. When we moved here in 2016 there were 2 stops within the neighborhood and the closest gym was over a mile away (which is a long hike back uphill to my house so I rarely went there). Since 2020, they've added 4 gyms within walking distance of my house and too many stops to count. The gyms are constantly changing colors. I keep going down to the lowest one to take it over and sometimes before I even get back home, someone on blue team has kicked me out (they must live next door to the gym). This morning I woke up to three of the gyms turning yellow and one was blue. I turned three back to red and just noticed someone else turned the last one red since I went on my walk. Pokemon Go has really helped my motivation when I don't really want to walk. I can't play the whole time I'm walking, though, because I only get 5gigs of data each month so I turn the game on when I get to a gym then shut it down until the next gym.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Weights: Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 5x5
    DB OHP <superset> DB Shrugs 3x8
    Cable Pushdown <superset> Preacher Curl 3x8