WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Wildfire season has begun. The “Flat Fire” is burning 8600+ acres in the Rogue River/Siskiyou National Forest near the town of Agness. Saw smoke from the fire blowing down both Hunter and Myers creek drainages and Pistol River on my way home from Gold Beach this morning. The terrain is so steep and nearly inaccessible the firefighters are struggling to “line” it. American Red Cross has set up an evacuation shelter at the Gold Beach high school though at this point none of the 40 + threatened structures are under an evacuation order.
    Tracey I’m thankful Rodger’s employers did the right thing and sent him home when it was too smoky to work outside. Trust they won’t dock his pay?
    Ginny Yup, the mirror has lights that blink when turn signal engaged. When you upgrade your Apple Watch do you turn your series 8 in for a discount? Or would you consider selling it to me? ;}
    Lisa thinking of you today (Tuesday). Hope the procedure gives some answers and a good direction.
    Margaret sage counsel to Tracie about “NO”.
    Machka so sorry to hear about your knee. Know how hard enforced rest is/was for you. Hope you get good answers this week.
    Kay thanks for the chicken/apple sausage recommendation. Always looking for good protein sources.
    Debbie “Speaking up and saying no, or making my wishes known on any level is something brand new for me.” Bravissima!
    Michele got the replacement mirror last Thursday 7/13. He also replaced the left front “running light” that the last two repair folk (one the dealership) didn’t or couldn’t. I am content.
    Pip where are you camping that’s cooler?
    Allie happy to see Miles so happy at daycare. When do you hear back from the medicos?
    Heather you and Johnny went all out for DSIL and boyfriend. No wonder you’re exhausted.
    Through pg 38 but time to finish this morning’s PT and take the dogs down to the powerline meadow.

7/13 gratitude: not to need ibuprofen this morning.
    07/12: Move: 2 sets PT w/x&a, line dance class, dogs to powerline.
    Steps:9592 yay!
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=8 CI=1701 CO=711
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, library, Post Office. Wt:130.7

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. July: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live NOW.

Pismo beach California
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,526 Member
    Options
    Pip - I want to be one of your dogs. What a neat camping set-up you have there. <3

Lisa - hope the colonscopy goes smoothly and helps find the answer.

Carol - I'm right there with you. At this point I'm grateful I'm not gaining more, but wish I could get my weight to go the other direction. Do you have a pedometer and can you walk any distance without pain?

I pulled on my walking shoes early this morning and got in a "sunrise" half mile. My arthritic knee was a little bitey and broken toe foot was bothering me. When I got back, I realized I'd pulled on a pair of old walking shoes for some reason. :# But still got around 2,000 steps. Some mornings when I don't walk and go 7 am shopping at Walmart, I notice that by the time I get home, I'm well over 2,000 steps. Prior to covid, I'd see seniors doing early morning "Walmart walks". These days there's more traffic in there since employees are pulling pick-up orders, but it's a way I get a little more exercise.

Machka - continued sympathies regarding your knee. Seems to be "knee year" for our group here.

Heather - so happy that your son will drive you there and back. :)

Rebecca - you are such a good penpal. I hardly do any cursive writing anymore and I think my hand would cramp up after a paragraph. Way to go on your fast.

Joy - how neat your little Lucy is keeping you more active. So nice that she decided to adopt you and your husband. ;) The fox catching chickens is making me nervous....

Chicken escape: I just went out to see how the chickens were doing. The gate to their run was wide open and they were no where to be seen. I called "here chick chick chick" and put some of their favorite treats in a little pan, rattled it and here they came from inside the woodshed. I walked back into their run, threw the treats around, and they all came right back in so they are now securely locked in again. It was still pretty dark when I let them out this morning and must have just missed latching the gate. I'd been wondering how they'd do free-ranging. When I have more time this afternoon I might let them out for a few hours. Rosie was asleep in the house so didn't have to test that part out. :p

Accountability: I downloaded the WW app onto my jitterbug phone this morning. Still haven't signed up though. Not sure if I will; I'm looking at other food/nutrition information to see if I can make some changes on my own.

A friend of mine stopped by on Sunday and said she's lost 6 pounts with WW in the past few weeks. She and several other gals at her work are keeping each other accountable - sharing results, tips, recipes, etc. Recording weights - not sure how they are doing it exactly. When I was working 10 years ago, I was a member of a little group there where a fun chart was kept. Similar to below except simpler. Just how much lost or gained. I messaged her this morning, wondering if I could be added to her group remotely.

So I'm tossing this out: would any of you be willing to share your weekly- bi weekly - monthly results? I'm thinking just "Pounds gained/lost -- how many pounds left to goal". Or some variation - whatever folks wish to share. Someone could be the record keeper (I would volunteer for now unless someone else would want to do it. I don't have a lot of time to make it complicated ;) Just basics here.)

Example:

Week of July 17, 2023

Lanette.................... 1 pound lost........................... 7 pounds left to goal.
    Arlene .................................................................... at goal since January 2019. total 50 pounds lost.
    JaneDoRight....................1/2 pound gained.................... 20 pounds left to goal.
    Sue Sue........................ 1 pound lost......................... .2 pounds below goal, 23 pounds lost since November 2022.
    Jan from Jamaica........... 3 pounds gained............ 21 pounds to goal. Surgery/vacation.

Participation would be purely voluntary. No competition. Participate for a while then drop out if need be. NO judgement, NO coercion. Pick your own goal, use MFP or WW or BMI or whatever. Change your goal whenever you want. Several of you report your success from time to time and it's inspirational for me. But I'm too busy (lazy? :p ) to go back and look up your stats when I need a boost. Maybe having something like this posted once a week would be helpful to others.

Would anyone want to participate in something like this? Again, no pressure. I don't want anyone to feel their privacy would be violated or that they must give information they don't wish to share.

Anyhow, just looking for feedback. Knowing me, I might change my mind about the whole thing by tomorrow. :p

Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

My last jag of writing was 6 letters or so, with 5 pages or more each! I definitely got my writing in that weekend! I write with a mixture of cursive and printing!🙃
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    My meal was fantastic today. Good hearty salad, kielbasa sausage, zucchini, mushroom, onions and wild rice bowl. Then 2 cookies with a coffee. I closed my eating window at 4 pm. I should sleep well tonight.😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Lanette – interesting thought about the grinding. I’ve never ground my teeth before. I guess we shall see what the dentist says

Lisa AZ – good for you getting on that elliptical. Congrats on the fantastic weight loss

Anne – good for you not giving in to that chocolate. You are a real inspiration!

Took my walk around the block and then made some of the protein pancakes. I need to get more mix.

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Good news Lisa, glad your innards were doing well, and youre going on meds for those last bits.🤗💖
    Yes food takes so good after a fast!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,879 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Walked the wetlands this morning for over an hour then walked with friend for another hour + this evening. Finishing at almost 9 1/2 miles.
    Hopefully I will sleep good- should be asleep now. Dh's alarm will be going off in 30 min so may be a while before I get to sleep. He has to be at work at midnight.
    Alarm set to go off early again for tomorrow to walk before it gets too warm and before Ezie gets here.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, Ca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to see Acadia National Park where the forest meets the ocean!

I have decided to try and see the National Park by riding an electric bike. I have never ridden an electric bike. The bike will not have a throttle which I understand would make it easier. There will still be about 20 miles of pedaling to do. People in their 60's do this but apparently it is tiring as well. This will be on gravel which concerns me a little. And there will be horse drawn carriages on the road taking tourists around.

So I have a year to get in shape for this one day at Acadia National Park. I plan to start riding the stationary bikes at the gym and increase the resistance and get to 30 miles a session anyway!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

I may have bitten off too much. I am not sure.

Way to go Rosemarie!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lisa in Arizona!

Lisa and Rebecca, thinking of you!

Pip, your campsite is lovely!

I just finished riding my bike with 20 seconds sprint intervals. It really gets me puffing! I'm glad I found something that gets my heart pumping without scaring me. And it makes the time pass faster. I'm cooling down on the couch with Teddy boo which is not the right way.

If I can keep this up, I might be ready to try running in January. But the first goal is to finish my sister challenge which ends in a week. I really want to lose two pounds by then and hit 159. It's a bit of a stretch goal, and probably means that I need to rein it in at the family Sunday dinner. And be careful what time I weigh myself.

So there's yoga and aerobic walking yet today.
    Hope you all are having a great day!

Annie in Delaware

You're doing well!! :)

I dropped 4 kg in time for a cycling conference last month ...

Then I hoped to drop a bit more and start running this month. There was an event right at the end of the month. Then I hoped to drop a bit more before the work conference in August.

It's going to be more challenging now, however I have maintained the last couple weeks.

I always weigh myself in the mornings, after I use the toilet ... that's when I'm the lightest. :)

M in Oz