Please help me understand....motivation/support

Options
Hi All,

I have been on MFP since January 2023 and am doing very very well!!! Started at 293 lbs and am currently at 218 lbs. However, this is my first time posting in the forums.

My question is (and I mean no disrespect or to throw shade at anyone) but what do people mean when they say they need motivation or support?

Like is it just a validation thing? Where people just need to hear.... keep it up, you're doing a good job?

Or is it a thing where people want to hear what they are doing wrong and want to hear ways to fix it?

For example, my wife says that she wants to try to lose weight like I have been, but she needs me to support her. And I don't understand what that means, and she just gets mad when I ask her. Obviously, I do support her doing this I guess I just don't know how to show it.

For me weight loss is logical and straight forward. MFP gives me a number of calories that I can eat for the day, and if I eat at or below that number I will over time lose weight. And I know that if I eat above that number I will maintain or gain depending on how far over I am. So, I don't know how to support someone in doing this, other than literally following them around and telling them don't eat that, or here does this work out, and all that is going to do is cause a huge fight. I guess part of me feels that there is a certain amount of personal accountability in this, and that if said person can be truthful with themselves and stick to a plan that they came up with, nothing I can say or do is going to change that.

So please help me understand what a person means when they say, "I need support/motivation".

Thanks,

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    When people ask this, they usually don't want to be ALONE doing it. Most figure that if they are with some like minded people doing the same thing, that they'll be more understanding if something deters them from moving forward.
    It's been said earlier. Motivation is just a start point. One can lose motivation and even the most optimistic person giving all the right reasons, could fail at motivativing that person. Habitual behavior keeps people on track.
    As for support, many times IMO looking at support from people who have their own weight issues doesn't end up being support. Support means actually helping you along by doing things that are conducive to your goal. So things like, go shopping with you to select the right foods or going to the gym with you to workout. Just getting people to say "way to go" is just getting validation and I don't really think they care most of the time if you make it or not. They're worried about their own agenda.
    So it really does just come down to YOU making the decision, being consistent and following behaviors that lead to your goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    LOL, Ann...

See, I see it as her problem, not his. She knows he loves her, he's being helpful in his somewhat clumsy way. But he can't control her reaction, best bet with weight and wives is No Comment.

I had a female friend and one day she was wearing her husband's sweat pants. Not the most flattering look, but who cares - we were just sitting around watching TV. The guys weren't even there, it was just her and I. She says, "Do these pants make me look like a cow?"

Um

To my defense I was in my twenties, but we were best friends so Imma be honest, right? "Yeah, those kind of pants do that."

oops.

She started crying.

Oh, for Pete's Sake.

You asked!!!!?!?!

I still to this day contend that you don't ask a question to a friend if you don't want the answer that you already know is gonna be, "Yes."

I mean, should have said...what exactly?! ...Three sizes too big sweat pants. C'mon!

:lol:
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    collinsje1 wrote: »
    ...it just a validation thing? Where people just need to hear.... keep it up, you're doing a good job?
    Or is it a thing where people want to hear what they are doing wrong and want to hear ways to fix it?
    Unequivocally, it is not the latter. :D
    What is your household situation? Who is buying the food? Do you share mealtimes? Go out to eat often? Do you keep less than healthy foods in your house? "Support" will probably hinge on your current situation and your wife's daily challenges.
    To me, support would be someone who helps me keep my eyes on the prize. I like to think of an upcoming event where I'd like to look good. That's often enough to make me put down the fork. Example: "Won't it be great to both get in shape to go kayaking on Lake Watahocee this fall?"
    When I'm faced with tough food choices like free unlimited catering at work, a great sale on my fave frozen pizza or even a good drive-thru discount coupon, I completely forget my weight and health goals. Poof! Gone from my brain! In those moments, I don't want to hear "Don't eat that!" but having a gentle encouraging voice directing me back on track with WHY I want to lose weight or exercise would be extremely helpful.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    LOL, Ann...

See, I see it as her problem, not his. She knows he loves her, he's being helpful in his somewhat clumsy way. But he can't control her reaction, best bet with weight and wives is No Comment.

Well, yeah, so do I, based on what was written here. (Which is just one side. ;) )

I don't disagree with you about the best short run tactics, either. But I also think it's potentially a "can't win" for him.

Maybe it's Pollyanna-ish, but I also think marital issues are inherently systems problems, even if it's All! The! Other! Person's! Fault! (It usually is, AmIRight?) If I want a partnership to succeed long term, I can't take the "shrug, because it's all her/him" position. It's a "keep doing the same thing, expect different results" position, and we know what "they say" about that. Some things are irremediable, others can be improved. I wouldn't start from a position of non-investment in solution-finding . . . because Pollyanna?
    I had a female friend and one day she was wearing her husband's sweat pants. Not the most flattering look, but who cares - we were just sitting around watching TV. The guys weren't even there, it was just her and I. She says, "Do these pants make me look like a cow?"

Um

To my defense I was in my twenties, but we were best friends so Imma be honest, right? "Yeah, those kind of pants do that."

oops.

She started crying.

Oh, for Pete's Sake.

You asked!!!!?!?!

I still to this day contend that you don't ask a question to a friend if you don't want the answer that you already know is gonna be, "Yes."

I mean, should have said...what exactly?! ...Three sizes too big sweat pants. C'mon!

:lol:

Yup.

• collinsje1
    collinsje1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think there probably as many meanings as people saying that, but also that there may be two broad answers, generic and specific (and maybe 3, because I'm an interfering, opinionated little ol' lady).

Generically, I think people ask for support or motivation here (from others) because they feel a little lost, maybe have failed before, have bought into the myths that losing weight has to involve suffering (because fat is a sin we need to expiate?!?) so they know they will find it hard to stick through the suffering (extreme diets, punitive exercise regimens), and they are hoping someone else can throw them a lifeline. So many people want to find the weird trick, the hack, the magic, the answer. They may implicitly want it to require not much change in routine habits, because change itself is hard.

As an aside, you will see old-timers here periodically answer some of these requests with "use methods that aren't so radical and unpleasant that they require constant motivation". (I'm 100% one of those old-timers.)

A few - I think/hope not most - may also be creating a situation where they have some external person/thing to attribute eventual failure to, so that they can preserve their self-image as someone who tried really, really hard against what turned out to be insurmountable odds. (I'm not saying that's blameful. It's very human. I do think it's sad: In a sense, self-disempowering.)

That said, it's also true that succeeding at something like weight management, fitness or health improvement is objectively harder if one's whole regular social context doesn't do or support those things. For a time, I used newsletters and reading in responsible web sites to get some of that context, and - big time! - the MFP community.

Specifically, within a couple, I agree with others that a support request means things like "don't sabotage me" or a bit more positive variation on that. That would include things like not offering/urging food treats, not flaunting your (probably higher) calorie level or progress, diplomatically asking if she wants to be included when you . . . I dunno, go for a walk, or try a new veggie, or whatever . . . then not fussing if she's not ready for that. I do think people need to find their own path, to a large extent.

That third thing: "Support me but I won't say how" is to me a communicational red flag, a general orientation that can affect other parts of partnered life. I'm not sure how to get around that, short of something like couples' counseling, honestly. I'm widowed now, but was married for 20+ years, reasonably happily. Early on, we needed to work through some similar issues, but it did involve some sharp conflict in the moment. It did eventually reach clarity. We stayed together during the conflicts, and I can't really tell you why, because some people don't.

If you two have been married a long time, maybe this general situation is more workable for you than for me, because I'd assume the general orientation has been there ("if you cared you'd know what I want"). Speaking only for myself, I do want my partner to feel happy and fulfilled, and I am (was) willing to devote personal energy to that. But I'm a terrible, terrible mind reader - worse than he was, definitely. I need to know what my partner wants, explicitly by them telling me, then I'll go a long way to do that (short of things that compromise personal integrity, ethics, morality, and that sort of thing). YMMV.

Perhaps not to you, but to me the circumstances you're in now would feel like a minefield, I'm sorry to say.

Best wishes, sincerely.

@AnnPT77 I was hoping you would answer this.....you always have great advice and very well thought out responses!!!!! So, thank you!!!'

I should clarify a few things here.....my wife and I have a very good marriage and for the most part communicate pretty well. This just happens to be one of the things that we struggle to effectively communicate about. As it's been said by others in this thread.........the topic of wives and weight is a touchy one at best. So, I think that's the biggest hurdle her and I have with this.

Part of this also stems from the fact that I have lost a pile of weight and have done so quite fast and that tends to discourage her.....becasue she hasn't/isn't losing as much as me. And that she thinks it's easy for me " she has said that well its easy for you do lose weight" well fact of the matter is it, isn't easy it's been alot of work and dedication to stay the course. It maybe that she doesnt see my internal struggle with it or the sacrifices that I have made.

MsCzar wrote: »
    collinsje1 wrote: »

What is your household situation? Who is buying the food? Do you share mealtimes? Go out to eat often? Do you keep less than healthy foods in your house? "Support" will probably hinge on your current situation and your wife's daily challenges.
    To me, support would be someone who helps me keep my eyes on the prize. I like to think of an upcoming event where I'd like to look good. That's often enough to make me put down the fork. Example: "Won't it be great to both get in shape to go kayaking on Lake Watahocee this fall?"
    When I'm faced with tough food choices like free unlimited catering at work, a great sale on my fave frozen pizza or even a good drive-thru discount coupon, I completely forget my weight and health goals. Poof! Gone from my brain! In those moments, I don't want to hear "Don't eat that!" but having a gentle encouraging voice directing me back on track with WHY I want to lose weight or exercise would be extremely helpful.

As far as our household situation.......Its me and my wife and 2 boys (6 and 2). We typically keep a running list on the fridge and usually on the weekends whoever is going to town will but the groceries. I dont buy "junk" food but I have no control over what she buys when she shops. And with 2 little kids we avoid restaurants like the plague. I do 98% of the cooking so the main meals are typically what I eat.... usually some type of protein (beef, chicken, pork) (our youngest is allergic to fish so we try to not make that when his is home, although occasionally when he is at the grandparents) and a vegetable to go with it. But its up to her how much she eats, and what she snacks on. With little kids in the house snacky foods are inevitable. She also makes comments about stress eating which I don't fully understand either, your still making a choice to eat something.

Thanks,
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    yeah, well that's the bottom line in this whole scenario, springlering.

I just think in so many marriages it's a two-pronged problem.

Women complain about XXXX then get mad when the husband is honest, sure...BUT men tend to speak down to their wives and give instructions, when what the woman wants is someone on her team, not a coach.

Not even about men and women only: probably a general thing when someone complains about something, that the other person starts giving advice when, often, all the person wants is for someone to just listen and let them ventilate their problems.

yep.

Jerry Seinfeld said in one of his episodes of Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee, "When you see two homeless guys talking on the sidewalk, you know one of them is giving the other one advice."
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

In general, don't "fix" stuff, don't tell her how to eat or tricks you've learned unless she specifically asks for THAT.

Support looks like empathizing, not teaching - especially with something as sensitive as your wife's weight.

Complete silence after the hug is the best strategy!

Yes, yes, yes.

I know that in my own marriage, my husband is wired to FIX things. This is wonderful when something is broken, but no bueno when I just want to say something and be heard. It's the old unwanted advice paradigm. We've gone 'round this mulberry bush about 5000 times in 38 years, but knowledge is power. He's coming around to not fixing me if I don't want it, and I'm coming around to understanding he truly means no harm, no foul when he goes in that direction.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    yeah, well that's the bottom line in this whole scenario, springlering.

I just think in so many marriages it's a two-pronged problem.

Women complain about XXXX then get mad when the husband is honest, sure...BUT men tend to speak down to their wives and give instructions, when what the woman wants is someone on her team, not a coach.
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Not even about men and women only: probably a general thing when someone complains about something, that the other person starts giving advice when, often, all the person wants is for someone to just listen and let them ventilate their problems.

Ha! I was going to answer the first post, but fortunately read the second post first, and realize I, a woman, like to problem solve too. The difference is that I know to ask if female friends want me to problem solve or do they just want to vent. I will warn my partner when I just want to vent, but he complains that he wants to problem solve. (This is now a moot issue as we are out of the toxic situation that created lots of opportunities for venting and problem solving.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Here on MFP when people start a thread asking how they can find motivation I reply with this: http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

Not sure if that applies or would be wise for the OP :lol: