60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Beautiful @BCLadybug888 ! You go on so many wonderful trips! You should be a travel agent!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options
    It looks so peaceful & relaxing
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,493 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I am in the midst of 10 days holidays, scale up a couple of lbs but it is my travel scale so never matches home exactly; I like having it for accountability.

Here is the view from our shady spot at our Motel, very hot here but so relaxing! And full AC in our suite to retreat to lol.

This area is the northern tip of the Sonoran dessert where it peaks into Canada and this is the warmest lake, so no greenery here!

Lots if wineries and orchards, loving all the fruit & veggie stands - helps mitigate the snack food.

tq67h49073ux.jpg

Beautiful pic! Enjoy your time there.

• marci320
    marci320 Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @LolaGatto I know how difficult it is to be on even semi bed/couch rest, especially when you are doing things like riding horses for fun, but you can do this. You have time to plan your meals and you can still lose weight without exercising. You'll be in much better shape when you get back to normal. I'm rooting for you!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Welcome @LolaGatto . So sorry about your injury. Start slowly and weigh and record ALL your food. After you are better and your doc gives you the go ahead you can add in exercise. I started with just walking a few minutes a day and built from there. Don't get discouraged. Slow weight loss is best, and it will help you build habits you can maintain for the rest of your life.
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,190 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    LolaGatto wrote: »
    First time searching groups….61 years old and at my heaviest weight and feeling disheartened. Had a horse related major injury and still on semi bed/couch rest. Started yet another attempt today to eat better and lose weight….

Welcome! As others have mentioned you can lose weight without exercising. I commend you on your effort. If you are able to lose a bit now you may find it a little easier to start moving once you have the go ahead to do so. Losing just 5% of my starting weight helped make it a little easier for me to get up on my feet when I first made my lifestyle change. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    LolaGatto wrote: »
    First time searching groups….61 years old and at my heaviest weight and feeling disheartened. Had a horse related major injury and still on semi bed/couch rest. Started yet another attempt today to eat better and lose weight….

I read somewhere that we eat less to lose weight. And we exercise for our health. So yes, you can lose weight without exercise.....but it's sure not as much fun. Wishing you a speedy recovery
  • Evamutt
    Options
    @marci320 , wow, great job!! I bet everything is easier without all the stress
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Apologies for the fuzzy photo, but this is a thing that rarely happens**. It's a whole quad rowing shell in which all of the rowers are 60+. (** We row mixed ages, 20s to 70s, so there's often at least one person in the boat under 60.)

That's me at the left (in bow, because we face the stern), two guys in their early 60s in the middle, and a woman who just turned 78 at right in the stroke seat. This was taken by another club member in a different boat, on one of our regular bridge-to-bridge round-trip rows, just under 7k - takes about an hour, including a couple of water breaks.
    pya7r0pjhpxa.jpg

Cool!
    So Ann, if you are all facing backwards - who steers?? I thought one person would still face forward...like a lookout if nothing else. With 4 people rowing, I imagine you could go pretty fast!

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congrats Marci!!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Apologies for the fuzzy photo, but this is a thing that rarely happens**. It's a whole quad rowing shell in which all of the rowers are 60+. (** We row mixed ages, 20s to 70s, so there's often at least one person in the boat under 60.)

That's me at the left (in bow, because we face the stern), two guys in their early 60s in the middle, and a woman who just turned 78 at right in the stroke seat. This was taken by another club member in a different boat, on one of our regular bridge-to-bridge round-trip rows, just under 7k - takes about an hour, including a couple of water breaks.
    pya7r0pjhpxa.jpg

Cool!
    So Ann, if you are all facing backwards - who steers?? I thought one person would still face forward...like a lookout if nothing else. With 4 people rowing, I imagine you could go pretty fast!

@BCLadybug888, the person sitting in bow steers, or more accurately is responsible for steering. So, in the photo: Me, at the left-hand side of photo.

Some multi-rower boats do have a coxswain (pronounced cox'n, usually just called "cox"), who faces in the direction of travel, and one of whose major duties is steering. (They do other things, too.) People think they shout "stroke, stroke, stroke", but that never happens, like never ever in my 20 years of rowing experience. :D The cox steers with knobs on strings on each side of the boat that connect to a rotating vertical shaft that connects to a rudder underneath the boat.

If there's no cox, bow watches the direction of travel, either by turning their head, or by wearing one of those little rear-view mirrors like cyclists use, or both. Bow can do a little steering him/herself, but also can call out for the rowers in the boat to row "hard port" or "hard starboard" as needed, usually in the form "hard port for X strokes", then they count the strokes.

Boats generically can go pretty fast, with elite rowers especially. We aren't elite rowers. We do OK for well-seasoned folks, but usually are somewhere in the vicinity of 4-point-something miles per hour (6-7 kph) during most of our rows. Quite a bit of force if we hit something at speed, though. (Don't ask how I know. ;) ).

• Evamutt
    Options
    I would love to do that. I like using the rowing machine & like being on the water
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    Only four mph? I thought for sure those shells would FLY.

I should see what I can do on flat water. With current I can go pretty fast in a canoe. I figure the local river usually flows about 4mph more or less. The other day, trying to catch up with some folks who had gotten ahead while I stopped to fish, I noticed I was going over 9mph, but again, it was in fast current.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I would love to do that. I like using the rowing machine & like being on the water

It is fun! It goes faster than a standard canoe or kayak,

It's a little technical, but achievable by anyone with normal physical mobility. We routinely have 60+ y/o people in our learn-to-row classes, sometimes 70s. The oldest person I know who took the class was 81. The hardest things are getting into the boat (it is very low) and out again, and - for some - carrying the bigger boats.

Carrying takes some upper body strength - well, the lifting in order to carry. The singles, even the wider ones, are fairly easy to carry using 2 people, no need for major strength. They weigh maybe somewhere in the 40s pounds (20-ish kg). The 2- and 4-person boats (doubles and quads) are heavier and more awkward. The quads are probably 115-ish pounds (52-ish kg). Normally, 4 rowers carry a 4-person boat, but if we have enough people around we can use 5 carriers. Our club is tiny, so often when we take out a quad, only 4 people are present.

This is 4 people lifting a quad, either about to put it in the water or just taking it out, not sure which.

a4wkniaemqib.jpg

Basic swimming skills are essential: The boats, especially the racing singles, are pretty tippy.

This is an example of a racing single. I wish I could find a better (more end-on) photo, but this is me (before weight loss) rowing my racing single. It's about 26 feet (8m) long, about a foot (0.3m) wide at the water line, weighs just a in the low 30s pounds (14-ish kg).

dqxc52zl52jj.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Only four mph? I thought for sure those shells would FLY.

I should see what I can do on flat water. With current I can go pretty fast in a canoe. I figure the local river usually flows about 4mph more or less. The other day, trying to catch up with some folks who had gotten ahead while I stopped to fish, I noticed I was going over 9mph, but again, it was in fast current.

@mtaratoot, I'm much faster (on flat water, minimal current) in a rowing shell than either the Wenonah Advantage (canoe) or my Current Designs Willow (kayak). That I'm slow in the abstract is an individual limitation, right? ;) I'm sure you're a better canoeist than I am.

The 4-something mph is what Garmin says as average for a whole row, total distance per time. That would include some breaks.

Today's quad row was 4.4mph (7.1kph) over the whole row, 5.8mph (9.3 kph) moving average (which would include starts, slowdowns for various reasons, turns, maybe drifting during breaks, etc.), 9mph (14.5kph) peak speed.

We don't have lots of current, and the time/moving time for the full row are going to be a reasonably even mix of upstream/downstream, upwind/downwind - close to zero net effect of wind/current.

I tried to look up some good rowing race times for you, but the main regatta results site seems to be down right now, so I can't see masters nationals results.