What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Was quite sore and achey last night, luckily today is much less low-key. Did an hour's walk this morning into town and back to do some chores and am just about to go swimming with a friend. Usually just do 20 lengths of a 25 metre pool, I don't time my swims with my friend as we usually stop for a natter at some point but think it's just what I need today.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Only a bit of jump rope yesterday, but a friend and I got out to our favorite lake for an open water swim this morning. There were a couple fishing boats, a few paddlers, plus the boy scout summer camp crew around, so we weren't alone. Water temp was slightly cooler, but still warm enough for me to go with only the SIM shorts. My training partner wore her sleeveless wetsuit.

We swam our typical counterclockwise triangle, stopping occasionally to watch the scouts, or to adjust course ahead of fisherman trolling for trout. The weird thing was that Garmin gave us significantly different distance measurements for the swim. My Fenix showed a 2553 yd swim (which seems way too long) while her Garmin 955 registered 1886 yds, even though she swam a slightly longer loop than I did.
    Both devices were set to "open water swim". I assume that Garmin's tracking approach for swimming is the same across the Forerunner and Fenix platforms, so I have no idea why the big difference.

It won't matter at next week's triathlon, though. The sprint distance swim is only 500 yds. :smiley:
  • ashleycat7921
    ashleycat7921 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ab day:

10 min intense ab workout.
    https://youtu.be/tfPoEnaCBjg

20min abs
    https://youtu.be/Ut6xnNEQXz8
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 3x5
    One-Leg Press 3x8
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Calf Extension 4x12
    Cable Crunch 4x10
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    40 minute incline treadmill walk yesterday, will do the same again today. Weights tomorrow!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Rowing again of course, 3 seat (engine room) of the quad. Today, we had one of the new rowers in the boat with us again, so more of a very moderate steady state row with some minor addition of drills.

I expect we'll be adding more new people into our rowing social group over the next few weeks, so probably more of easy/moderate steady state with basic drills, when that happens; not so much of interval workouts or other more challenging pieces. We like helping to convert the beginners into long-term happy club members. :)

@mtaratoot: I'm accustomed to Purple Loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) as a major invasive here, but Garden Loosestrife is new to me. (As you say, Lysimachia Vulgaris, so not a close relative despite the common name) . From what I can tell, it's not a major invasive here . . . yet, anyway. Ugh to invasives generally, and kudos to you for participating in mitigation.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Sloooow push power jerk practice to get used to power modulation with speed variation. No idea how many sets as I just did what my coach shouted 😀 but 45 mins mobility, warm up and plyos, then one hour jerk practice.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Did my 30 minutes of strength physio today in which I managed to cramp as many exercises as possibly without making my pt angry for going too fast. Then ran/walked 6.5km (about 5km running). I'm slowly getting better with running again. Phew.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Hatha yoga 🧘🏼‍♀️ with lots of stretching. Also a 30 min weights session .. Bi, tri and shoulders.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,278 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77

Purple Loosestrife and Yellow Garden Loosestrife aren't really related despite the common name. Yellow Garden Loosestrife is actually a primrose, not a loosestrife. Taxonomists keep learning new things....

Purple Loosestrife has been an invasive weed in Oregon for so long it's now on the "B" list. There is also now a biocontrol for it; some beetles that are host-specific and seem to be working. In areas that get regularly inundated, the biocontrol doesn't work as well; the poor beetles drown.

Yellow Loosestrife is a relatively recent arrival here, and it's still on the "A" list of weeds that we think we might actually be able to eradicate.

It's nice to see sites that used to be covered with Purple Loosestrife now only have scattered patches. I don't think we'll ever get rid of it, but it can be naturalized and somewhat controlled like Tansy Ragwort. There are no known biocontrols yeet for Yellow Loosestrife.

The other weed we're trying to eradicate on this particular grant is Floating Yellow Heart. We are having some success, and ideally after we knock it back we can just monitor every few years and assure it isn't coming back. You can't buy or sell it in the state anymore, but there's probably still some out there.

There's others like Ludwigia (called water primrose even though it's not a primrose) that we may never really get a handle on. I'd love there to be a biocontrol for that one. It grows like gangbusters. There's a native species too which makes it hard to identify.

It's tough work, but it's rewarding. It's a mixed feeling when you do or don't find the weed you are looking for. If you do find it, it's rewarding to see it sprayed with herbicide. If you don't find it, that's also rewarding, but it leaves you wondering if you just missed it.

Now we're wandering off topic again.

Today's workout included getting an 80 pound pig of a tandem canoe off the top of my car. I took it yesterday in case it was needed; it wasn't. I just locked it on the car at the take-out. I paddled the Advantage, and there's a good chance I'll put it up for sale. There's a boat swap tomorrow about an hour away from here....
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, one hour intense hills - 5.8 miles, 800 calories

Plus an additional 1-2 hours of pushing a grocery cart around the store. Can't believe this is the final week my little girl will be home (she reports for Navy basic training next weekend).
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Four of us went out for a two hour ride, in preparation for next weekend’s Cranberry Trifest in southeast Mass. Two guys, two girls on the ride.

Both women are podium threats in short course triathlon and they are in peak racing condition according to their Garmin measurements. They led us out of the starting gate at over 20mph for the first five miles before the long climbing section brought our speeds down to a more reasonable pace. This was an out and back route of 36 miles done in 2:04:00, or a 17.4 pace. It felt good to push a bit today as opposed to just doing a social ride.

Plan is to run and maybe swim tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Guess what, more rowing and rowing-related.

Did the usual just under 7k this morning in bow of the quad, with a different new rower in 3 seat. Again, easy steady state with some drills, to help move the new person along. It benefits us to do basic drills, too - always good to refresh on basics; and I think we all love helping new rowers develop their skills and move to the next step with our mutual sport.

I ate brunch at our usual post-row coffee-klatch, then went back to the club for a fund-raiser birthday party: Eight friends paid for a "rowing experience" in our barge, with coaching, to celebrate one person's birthday. I helped with about a one-hour effort to bail several inches of water out of the barge, combo of hand bailing, shop vac, scrubbing, towel-wiping. Then I helped move the barge to the dock, put in seats/oars, so the party people needn't do any of that. During the row, I was mostly rudder-woman, but rowed a bit with the end (swapped with a woman who's better at "parking" the barge than I am, at rudder).
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Slow paced recovery intervals today. 4 minute run, 1 min walk . Forty minutes total.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,278 Member
    Options
    Much needed rest day.

I drove an hour to pick up SCUBA cylinders from annual inspection and drop off a regulator set for annual service. Then I grilled some fresh albacore for melt-in-your-mouth goodness. I managed to save two small pieces for today.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Nothing yesterday as I was on call and got called in to deal with something which took much longer than necessary but hey ho. Had to prioritise starting to paint my front door so workout took a back seat.

Today up early and out for my customary Sunday horse ride. 5k in little under an hour which is pretty much the pace we usually do (my horse is pretty slow in walk but he's a steady Eddie so I don't mind). Went through all paces at various points and tried to focus on my position. I also stretched and tried to warm up my hips beforehand for the first time in a long time, need to make this a habit again! I may not be an endurance or cross country rider but I need to remember to limber up. He is very very wide and my hips have never been the most flexible!

Have spent the afternoon doing more painting, will try and get some yin yoga in now that I'm finished.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Between 10AM and 2PM, at least 3 hours steadily shoveling limestone fines into a wheelbarrow, wheeling, dumping, and repeat.

A person could pay hundreds at a health club for a functional fitness experience like this, but it was free with my rowing club membership. (We're improving the dirt floor in our pole barn boathouse.)

Plus it came with free pizza, kind of like at Planet Fitness . . . only better quality pizza. 😆

Gonna feel it tomorrow. 🤣