• Front squats- 5 sets of 10 (aaaargh)
    • Bench press- 5 sets of 4
    • Chinups- 8 sets of 3-4 reps
    • EZ-bar preacher curls- 5 sets of 10
    • Cable tricep pushdowns- 5 sets of 13-15
    • Wide grip incline DB press- 4 sets of 10
    • Bonus facepulls and chest-supported rows
    • Side planks- 4 holds each side

This was a long workout. Also the first time I have done 5x10 squats of any type for more than 10 years. Still have the weight light to take it easy on my back and to build tolerance for higher volume.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    (snip)
    So yesterday, I started with a beginner's mindset related to running. Did a 45 minute SLOW jog, going 4min on, 1 min off. The purpose was to keep my heart rate at Z2 or below. I'm going to do more frequent runs (3x/week) at a very gentle pace for now while continuing my cycling and open water swimming.(snip)

While granting that I under-do highest intensity work personally, I think the value of long-duration LISS is underappreciated in the popular fitness blogosphere. (Rowers often call it LSD: Long, slow distance.)

It's unglamorous, not exhilarating. But any serious training plan IME includes lots of it (in percent of training time terms). Seems essential for well-rounded CV fitness. ;)
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2023
    Rowed twice yesterday (Friday), sort of:

In AM, regular row in 3 seat of the quad, mostly moderate steady state but with some pause drills, most of us trying to get in an enjoyable recreational row, but also invest in bringing along the skills of the novice rower in 2 seat. (It's that time of year! Experienced folks helped us along when we were new, now it's our turn. :) )

PM, I took out a woman in my double who's never been in a rowing shell before. (She's used a Concept 2 RowErg at her Crossfit gym.) We started with a little RowErg review of the stroke cycle (because some Crossfit trainers do better than others at coaching this for on-water compatibility). Then we carried the double down and rowed it. On the water, she rowed for a bit while I stabilized the boat, then I'd row us back on course solo, then she'd row again for a while.

This morning (Saturday), a coached row of around 9.5k, 5' pieces with a paddle in, the piece, then a paddle down and rest in between. Our club launched 2 women's doubles plus a guy (new this season) in a skinny racing single. The collegiate club launched one mixed eight. The collegiate club's coach had them row by 6 and capped their rating (strokes per minute) so they didn't get too far ahead of us :D The single took a bad stroke on the next to last piece and flipped - other than a scratch, he was OK, just wet.

It would've been unseemly of me to comment on it there, but it pleased me that my double (ages 67 and 78, but 20+ years experience each) caught and passed the other double (women 40- and 30-something, half our age but less experienced) on every 5' piece. B)

No electricity at my house since Thursday night (storms), so I'm running on limited sleep (sleep apnea, no CPAP, neighbor's gas generator running below my bedroom) and over-caloric but undernutritious restaurant meals since. They've changed the restore estimate multiple times (longer), now saying 9:30pm tonight.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    (snip)
    So yesterday, I started with a beginner's mindset related to running. Did a 45 minute SLOW jog, going 4min on, 1 min off. The purpose was to keep my heart rate at Z2 or below. I'm going to do more frequent runs (3x/week) at a very gentle pace for now while continuing my cycling and open water swimming.(snip)

While granting that I under-do highest intensity work personally, I think the value of long-duration LISS is underappreciated in the popular fitness blogosphere. (Rowers often call it LSD: Long, slow distance.)

It's unglamorous, not exhilarating. But any serious training plan IME includes lots of it (in percent of training time terms). Seems essential for well-rounded CV fitness. ;)

Agree. It doesn't get too much play in pop fitness culture. IT IS however, widely employed by endurance athletes as the safest and most reliable way to build great aerobic and muscular endurance over time.
  • Djproulx
    Five of the six triathletes who raced last week turned out this morning for a 56 mile ride I had mapped out. Two of the group have fall 70.3 races on the schedule, so I knew this would be a tempo ride that would test me.

Since I was the route creator , I started off pulling the group at a 19-20mph pace. It wasn't bad for the first twenty miles, but I could feel that our strongest cyclists wanted to go harder. So, when we reached a turn on to a 14 mile "backstretch" I asked a friend to take a turn in front. That started a horse race of sorts. There was a large gap that opened up quickly, and I tried to stay within reach of the two faster riders. I couldn't stay closer than a quarter mile and the two women in the group lagged behind, saying "we don't want to play that game today" (Smart move on their part).

When we pulled into a convenience store at mile 30, our average pace was just under 20 mph. I knew this was way too fast for me to maintain for 56 miles today.

The second half of the ride is almost all open country and it became both hilly and very hot in the bright sun. By the time we hit the last turn, I was out of fluids, having consumed 3.5 bottles in 50 miles. It just wasn't enough. The finishing leg is a long slow uphill until the last mile, which is a 5% grade. I was cooked. Left quad cramped enough that I had to get off the bike twice in the last two miles. I limped into the parking lot, stripped off most of my kit, and put a water soaked towel over my head.

My speed and power numbers fell off a cliff, finishing the 56miles at a 16.0mph pace. Power meter showed a 2200 calorie expenditure at a 156w ave. Despite bonking fairly badly at the end, it was a very good ride with my favorite riding crew. I plan to do it again soon, only slower and better hydrated. :)

Plan to do a short, slow run tomorrow.

• jukk0u
    jukk0u Posts: 1 Member
    Dumbell arm curls, incline bench press, and BURPEES (modified with a couple of knee bends after the push-up, because I'm too old to do the jump upon standing.

Burpees aren't in the database, What the heck?!

I usually do some Pilates type moves and stretches right before climbing out of bed.
  • Djproulx
    Rest day yesterday. Did a 45 minute run/walk today. Garmin said this workout was BASE training, so that's right where I should be.
  • AnnPT77
    Guess what? Rowed again. Big surprise, eh? ;)

At least my electricity is back on (after 3 flippin' days), and my flat tire is . . . well, still flat and on my car's spare tire holder until Wednesday, but that'll have to do for now).
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,864 Member
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 5x5
    Seated Smith OHP <superset> BB Shrugs 3x8
    Cable Pushdown <superset> Preacher Curl 3x8
  • Djproulx
    Strength session with trainer this am. Total body work.
    This afternoon a friend and I rode a 35 mile route, though I didn’t finish it. Broke a front spoke at mile 31 so he finished then returned to pick me up. It was a nice aerobic paced ride til the breakdown, 16mph average
  • kqqpb8kq2q
    kqqpb8kq2q Posts: 15 Member
    I am in north Florida, so my workout today was putting plywood on my windows and cleaning up the yard so that old kids bicycle does come crashing though someone’s window.

70 minutes

782 calories (per Apple Watch)
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Managed to get into the gym today. A bit late because of work so I shortened it slightly. Today was full body plus lower body assistance. But cut the assistance a little.
    • Front squat- 5 sets of 5
    • Bench press- 5 sets of 5
    • Dumbbell row- 5 sets of 8
    • Hamstring curls- 3 sets of 8
    • Leg extensions- 3 sets of 10
    • Ghetto Glute Ham Raises- 3 sets of 4

Heaviest squats I have done since my back injury, but still light. Back was fine, although it didn't like the machine stuff at the end. Never really used machines for the legs much- so getting used to it. Overall it was a decent session.

I managed to get in a swim the day before yesterday as well- about 20 minutes. Tomorrow I will either swim again or do a treadmill walk.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 69 Member
    edited August 2023
    Catching up here. I do a regular short early morning elliptical. Extra elliptical work on Saturday but nothing else. A short bike ride on Sunday. 25 minute run outside, late in the evening on Monday. Today I rode the bike to the pool and back, swimming 1600m. Mostly front crawl but included 100 IM, 100 flutter kick w/board, and 100 fr w/ pull bouy, as well as some awkward technique drill lengths. Then this evening, another 25 minute run outside just after sundown as the air started to cool.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,864 Member
    Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 3x8
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Calf Extension 4x12
    Cable Crunch 4x10
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Felt absolutely terrible for the last 24 hours, but somehow roused myself to the gym. Full Body + core today:
    • 3 sets of 5 conventional deadlifts
    • 5 sets of 5 barbell overhead press
    • 5 sets of 5 super-strict chinups (chest to bar, slow eccentric down to full stretch)
    • 4 sets of 8 snatch grip shrugs (because why not)
    • 3 sets of 8 chest-supported rows
    • 3 sets of 12 cable crunches
    • 3 sets of 5 hanging leg raises
    • Bonus Sumo deadlifts for fun

I completely messed up OHP today- I was meant to do week 2 of month 1 of 5/3/1 but I had a mental issue, and, well, never mind. Overall the session was easy and light, which is kind of the intention of today especially as my back is still a little iffy. But it went well. Did some Sumo deadlifts for fun at the end and they went up shockingly easily. Probably do a few every week from now on, see if I can pull some significant (for me weight) in the future- I guess I am built for them.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,645 Member
    edited August 2023
    Quick leg workout for me. 2 warmup sets on squats and then:

1x failure leg extensions then took the 3 steps to my squat rack and then:
    1x failure (well, almost, no way I was getting another) backsquat and then immediately:
    1x failure body weight squats

Then I tried not to puke for 30 mins.
  • AnnPT77
    Dang, more rowing: Around 7k for the first real row in a single** this season (rec single, not racing single; easy to moderate steady state).

** I took out a rec single that was badly set up for me (tall person had just docked it) for about 3' to demo river turns for a newbie during the learn to row class. River turn = back with one oar while rowing with the other so the shell spins on its center. Other than that, I've been rowing quads (4 scullers) and doubles (2 scullers).