WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Allie, have a wonderful time. We'll all enjoy hearing the details about your cruise. Your nails are lovely.

Barbie, exciting to meet your maybe "new" dog. I love that you're rescuing your new family member.

Machka, you and your husband make a handsome couple. Happy Anniversary.

Betsy in NW WA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have tips on how to teach someone how to breathe from the diaphragm? When I got together with my friend she had put weight on around her middle. I told her that if she could learn to breathe from her diaphragm that would be part of the process to help her. I modeled the breathing for her but she says she is unable to do it. When you breathe from your diaphragm it calms you. Being in that calm state does many good things for your attitude and your body. I think being a singer is part of why I am able to easily breathe from my diaphragm. At the painting group on Monday I got a compliment from the woman next to me she told me I exude calm. I have not always been like this.

My choir director taught me how to breathe from my diaphragm. Kind of like sipping air thru a straw, while tightening the muscles in my belly. Singing from my diaphragm feels like my core is helping to support the sound coming out. I know my abdomen is really firm! Does that help? I don't practice breathing as often as I should.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Allie Safe travels, enjoy every moment!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Machka Very lovely place! You two make quite the classy couple.💖🤗 The glam of jewelry perfect! Glad you had a nice time.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Allie ... have a great time on the cruise!

Machka ... Happy Anniversary! You and your husband look great!

Beth
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 13/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 3/20

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate books.

Meditation: daily. 20/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Had bad asthma attack sending me to ER.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 7/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,6745,7029 (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 3/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 174/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)71/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 13/22 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 31/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why. I will!
    10. Check in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious. Checked in with my son.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others. Did this at ER when the diagnosis was given.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them. Did this yesterday and will do again today.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too. I need the rest!
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet. Will do! Need to de-stress!
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling. I will try to put myself in the other person’s shoes. Did this again last night with a camper.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone. Will have to think about this! Did not do this. :(
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments. Will do!
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else. I did try to accommodate a camper.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible. I am.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today. Sometimes that is hard but I am getting better at it. Maybe not right away but after I thought about the person’s reactions and what could cause it.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity. I will have to think on this. Not planning on going to town today. Did not do this.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention. I will try.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful. I do when I find something useful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past. This one is hard. I will try to forgive my father.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH
    A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.
    \

Thrive Market EFGT code

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Machka, You and your hubby look awesome--a perfect pair for that lovely venue.

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Just curious Carol.... Why open the basement door and not the doors to the outside? I would have wanted that OUT not just stuck in the basement!
    Squirrels can carry some yucky diseases. You may want to get an exterminator's help.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Kim ~ The garage is in the basement so we thought if DH opened the garage door he would leave. We couldn't catch him to put him out the front door. Only problem is that DH is reluctant to leave the garage door open for any period of time. Don't ask me why he thinks the way he does. I will never understand and I had no say in the matter. :):#

Allie ~ Have fun and stay safe! Is your friend going with you?

Off to dye my hair which I hate to do almost as bad as taking a shower!

Carol in GA
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Rosa ~ Welcome! What a cute photo of you! Your autoimmune diet sounds very strict. I personally would have a difficult time following it because I love my coffee and wine in the evening. I could stay away from sweets but like salty crunchy things. Thus I have gained 30 lbs since I was in my 50's. Turned 75 in August.

Carol in GA