WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Vicki - sorry to hear about that pain. Hope they can find the answers soon. Did they mention doing an ultrasound or scan of some type? Good idea hiring your granddaughter to be the photographer.

Barbara - I almost mentioned Frances Moore Lappe! I read "Diet for a Small Planet" when it first came out 50 years ago or so. As I recall, she said all the essential amino acids need to be eaten at the same meal - rice and beans eaten together made a complete protein, for example. I've read since that this combination/timing isn't that critical. Gosh I love this food science.

Heather - A couple of the ZOE videos I watched yesterday featured Tim Spector, talking about how he has changed his diet over the years. Maybe you watched one of these. He mentioned having yogurt with a handful of nuts for breakfast and sometimes just skipping breakfast, going 14 hours or more without eating. I seem to be eating a lot more yogurt, fruit and nuts anyhow, so was glad to hear this. A lot of the ZOE videos talk about how fat was demonized over the years, and instead folks often ate simple carbs which are worse for heart health.

Barbie - our local animal shelter has a 2 1/2 yr old standard poodle available, she was a surrender. If I didn't have Rosie, I'd get her. I bet she'll get snapped up quickly. Already 72 shares on Facebook and it was just posted an hour or so ago. Something tells me if you lived near me you and Jake would be waiting at the gate. ;) I might call just for giggles. Hope the link works -
    I managed to cut up three more quarts of apples for vinegar. Plenty of apples left over, so tomorrow will make applesauce in the crock pot. I was trying to think of a way to prepare small containers for the freezer. Well, I've been saving those nifty little Oikos containers, have quite a stack, and have been using them to prepare the chicken popsicles. They are small, very sturdy and don't crack/split.

And another project for today - making a non-waste chicken feeder. The internet has folks full of good ideas. I have nearly everything I need - covered bucket, drill, box-cutter. Need some flexible tubing and DH might have some of that stashed away in the shop. Will be fun to look and see what surprises I run across in the process.

I sat down at around 9:30 to watch a video and slept until 11! Not sleeping real well in the heat I guess. Went out and visited the girls, let them out for a little run. They were ready to go back into their run and get frozen peas for lunch. It's 85 out right now, it should hold below 90. :#

Lanette B)
    Still cookin' in SW WA State
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    sflan8fdol8d.jpg
    Lanette - found this one online and it has a 9 ft run it can hold up to 10 chickens but its 1299.00
    iadfm86a44ub.jpg
    Got my hair did.. so did Carmine.. sheesh I had to wake her up at 11:15 and then I couldn't say a word to her the whole ride over.. then I got her a foot long grinder from subway on the way home which she ate in the car and she left her garbage in the car.. gosh id love to smack the kid right upside the head...
    Karen my hairdresser flyingnout tomorrow for her daughter in laws baby shower.. and will fly home 1 am Tuesday..
    Just love that girl!!!
    Miles hasn't been napping so Tracy thinks thats why he is cranky..
    Have to go over to Toms tomorrow and go over the pill and feeding regimen for Homer..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Allie and Barbara When we adopted Bessie, Jake dealt with all the application process which included lots of e mails. Bessie was in Houston so there was no home inspection and no chance to meet Bessie ahead of time, only photos. She came to Washington by plane and we drove two hours to the airport in Seattle to pick her up. Jake also took the lead when we adopted Shiro, the Golden Retriever, from a breeder in Eureka and then Brandy and Sasha, the Standard Poodles, from a breeder in Sequim. Part of yesterday's application was contact info for our vet and two personal references. We gave them the names of our friend who walks Bessie with me every morning and the poodle breeder who is still a friend

:)Annie when we line danced at an assisted living place I met a 90 year old woman whose grown kids pressured her to sell her house and move because she insisted on continuing to use her chain saw.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Our momma cat's name is Shiro.
    All of our cats have Japanese names

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Lanette thanks for sharing about the poodle. The link worked so I could see her and she's darling. I don't know if I would want another poodle. I miss Sasha so much but I don't have a poodle shaped hole in my heart. I have a Sasha shaped hole that will never be filled. Our next dog will be completely different and hopefully available close to home. Who knows what the future will bring. This might be why women don't get new husbands they get chickens or sports cars or cruises to exotic places.

Barbie, I totally understand about not getting another poodle. I did call and there was someone there looking at her with another in line. They'd had several calls already. I called an hour later, yes she'd found a home.

Wishing you the best in finding your next little one - any ideas what breed/size/coat you'd be looking for?

Sometimes fate drops the perfect one in our laps. Kind of like maybe fate will drop a guy for me who likes chickens, dogs, fixing stuff, building stuff, mowing, shampooing carpets, cooking, going off for days with the guys, etc. etc. :p Or someone with skills I hadn't thought of. Or more chickens!

You are clever and right on the money - "This might be why women don't get new husbands they get chickens or sports cars or cruises to exotic places. " :p

Allie - that is an awesome chicken coop! Gosh if I got that for my girls, they'd be expecting to eat their food off silver platters, lol. But who knows, I might get a gigantic windfall from the sale of DH's drums, lol. Not counting those chickens before they are hatched however. :D Cute hair!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Allie love the do! Looks really great on you!💖👍
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Made me laugh Rebecca!

When we adopted DrewB it was a phone interview. I think how I talked about our neighbors dog who had the same issues as DrewB is what helped in the process. The neighbors dog was peeing and pooping in the house. It was because the environment was so chaotic. We had a calm stable environment to offer her. She has had accidents but very minor compared to her previous home. Baking soda works wonders on carpet!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    As a matter of fact I ordered a small shoe bench that i need to put together.that might be a project for tomorrow or when I get back..
    Lanette.yes thats the Big Omlet its called Eglu Cube but the same company.but you can put the ladies up and wheel that sucker around anywhere in your yard you like..
    I don't know if you guys watch YouTube videos or not.. but I watch Ima Survivor Donkey and Farm Animal Sanctuary and the whole rest of the family.. all sorts of animals.. and another favorite Is Cog Hill Family Farm and they are in Clayton ,Alabama..and they have all sorts of animals...
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Worked then home to go in the pool. They have a Soldiers Reunion parade today (has been a big thing around here for over 100 years) and BK said they’re usually busy after the parade so I gave them extra prep. I guess the worst that can happen is that I’ll use it tomorrow if there’s any left over. Then took my walk around the neighborhood, then back in the pool for a bit to cool off, will probably start working on the jigsaw puzzle

Got up early this morning so decided to get to work early. Usually, it’s busy on Thurs because I’m not there on Wed and I need to catch up. Plus today I gave them the extra prep so I was there probably about 5 hours

I do find that with it hot outside, I do walk slower. The other day it was cool in the morning and I was walking at a good pace. But I do wear my bathing suit (under my shorts) and take my water bottle with me.

Tracey – that shirt is so cute – and so appropriate for Lanette. So sorry you haven’t heard from HR

barbie – I like to lay out the clothes I’m going to wear the next day the night before. Also put my pocketbook in the trunk and what I can in the car for the next day. If you want to adopt a pet at the Humane Society, they call your vet (to be sure you are responsible)

Allie – Miles sure works fast, doesn’t he??? Nice haircut

Lisa – how did you clean your dryer vent? Is it the one attached to the dryer?

Off to start the puzzle and then a shower.

Michele NC
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Michele - It's just a big long brush, looks like a bottle brush on steroids about two and a half feet long, with very stiff bristles. You pull out the dryer lint screen and dry scrub the area around it, and as far down the vent pipe as the brush will reach. Then you go outside and pull the vent cover off and scrub everything you can reach of that end of the dryer pipe. Then you turn the dryer on for a minute and blow all the loosened lint outside. It was quite a mess outside!

Rosemarie - The onion/garlic/tomato puree turned out very good, thank you! I understand the fatigue issues, and am struggling with them myself these days again. The heat definitely has a lot to do with it for me.

For those who picked up on the air conditioning saga, you might remember that Amazon actually refunded my money for the air conditioning unit I bought from them, after it was two weeks late. And... the unit showed up on my doorstep today. I have to call someone tomorrow and see if they expect me to ship that back to them. So annoying, and not worth even trying to talk to them tonight.

Ah well, there are worse things.

Much love,
    Lisa in AR

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    "When fat leaves the body, 84% is exhaled as CO2 and the remaining 16% is excreted as water. So most of the fat we burn is literally released into the air."

https://www.verywellfit.com/how-does-fat-leave-the-body-4165132